Here Goes Nothing

Will You Go to Prom With Me? [Short drabble]

 I can do this. I can do this. 


 Jonghyun repeatedly chanted those words to himself as he approached Kibum’s lunch table. Prom was only three weeks away and time only ticked away for Jonghyun to finally grow the balls to ask Kibum. If he didn’t ask him now someone else might. The tall silver haired boy had been friends with Jonghyun for two years now since the middle of sophomore year.

Now, they were seniors. Kibum was as popular as Jonghyun was, maybe just a little more. He certainly got attention, both good and bad. Out spoken and confident were just two of the millions of words the short blonde haired boy could give to him. For those reasons Jonghyun slowly found himself developing a crush on said boy, just never found the confidence to really voice it.

But he will today, right now.


 If he can even get the words out.


 So he clutched the red roses behind his back and slowly got closer to Kibum’s table, his heart aching when Kibum would laugh at a funny joke or smile. So many thoughts crossed his mind:  What if he says no? Will he laugh in my face? 


"Hey Kibum…?"


 Kibum reared his head, diverting his attention from a friend who had just been telling the story of how he was late to school that day, and looked at Jonghyun with a mildly surprised look.


" Oh hey! Something wrong? Aren’t you supposed to be in choir class right now?"


 He was supposed to be, but he had convinced his teacher to let him skip the class to do this. His teacher was understanding, excited actually, and easily let him skip.


Jonghyun shook his head,” Yeah but I have something important to ask you.”


Curiosity crossed Kibum’s features, making his feline eyes narrow in suspicion, “What about?”


Jonghyun took a deep breath.


 Here goes nothing. 


 He got down on one knee, exposing the roses behind his back, and offers them to Kibum. The younger’s mouth slightly parts open in shock. The rest of the cafeteria had caught wind of what was going on and begin to crowd around the two.


Jonghyun gripped the bouquet tightly and gulped, “W-Will you go to prom with me..?” 


 Behind Jonghyun popped out Minho and Taemin, a year or two younger than them, with giant posters from the crowd. They flipped them over, the words “Prom?” written in large bold letters. The swarm of students who had come to watch all scream and awe in delight, all screaming at Kibum to say yes to Jonghyun. 


 Key looked around, biting his plush bottom lip. He looked as though if he weren’t sure if he even wanted to go with the blond. So Jonghyun stood his ground and held his pride. He almost didn’t catch Kibum’s answer.


“Your tux better match mine."