Lucky Day

Rescue Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Lucky Day

 

    Kai stood halfway out his front door and stared at the small potted plant sitting on his kitchen table. "What should I do?" he asked it, then paused as if waiting for it to actually tell him. Nervously shifting from one leg to the other, he looked out the open door, back at the plant, and then down at his watch. Tick tock tick tock, it seemed to whisper at him. Kai chuckled to himself. At least it gave him some sort of an answer, unlike the plant. Suddenly, he strode back into the house, grabbed the plant, and walked out, the door sealing his decision with a bang.

    The whole trip to school, Kai kept glancing at the plant he had tucked tightly under his arm. Normally, being around so many people at the bus stop and then on the bus would have caused his anxiety to skyrocket. Maybe it was his concentration on keeping the plant safe, or maybe it was the thought of the plant’s future owner flitting through his mind, but it didn't seem to act up today.

    It had been a week since the day Kai had crashed into that room, an utter mess and in the midst of a full-blown panic attack. The stranger had been so kind and caring, calming Kai with his soft voice and nonjudgmental attitude. The older boy had not even hinted at wanting to know why Kai was sobbing like an idiot or why he had passed out. His only concern seemed to be making sure Kai was alright. He... Chen—Kai's heart jumped at the name—felt so safe. That's why when he saw the little plant at the supermarket the day after their meeting, Kai had bought it. He hadn't been able to bring himself to actually give the gift to the other yet though… that is... until today.

    With determination, Kai stepped off the bus. The buildings spread before him ranged from very old to very new, representing the college's slow but steady expansion over the years. The school was small but had a good reputation for its high-quality education, which is why Kai had decided to go there.

    He gave the plant one last glance, then headed towards one of the oldest buildings on the other side of campus.

    Kai felt like he was in a sort of hyper-focused trance as he walked through the open door marked Music Hall, went up two flights of stairs, and then turned down the now familiar hallway where the air is tinted yellow. He didn't even realize he had arrived till he stood facing the door with his hand reaching out for the knob. He froze as his thoughts drifted back to that day a week ago…


 

    "It's very nice to meet you, Kai," Chen said, right after he laid his head on Kai's and pulled him a bit closer into his embrace. The two had just stayed like that on the couch, for what felt like forever, yet at the same time, only a split second, neither of them speaking. Then suddenly, a ringing split the silence.

    Bbrring bbrring… Bbrring bbrring...

    Kai startled at the sound, then sat up abruptly, causing Chen's arms to fall away from around him. He then scrambled to his feet, eyes wide as Chen silenced his phone, the comfortable air that had surrounded them just moments ago now completely gone.

    Suddenly feeling very self-conscience, Kai rubbed his hands together and scanned the room. There was a baby grand piano in the back corner, opposite to where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter