Roses of Yesterday

Roses of Yesterday

Chapter 5

 

Tiffany looked back behind her as she flew past on her bike through the crowd of people. She looked to get a better glimpse at the guy that she had almost ran into but by the time she had gotten through & looked back, he was already inside the building. She sighed, disappointed. She wanted to apologize to him & something about him just seemed so familiar. She got to the bike racks & slowly took off her headphones, smiling as she sang ‘Follow me, follow me, I will show you what heaven is’ in her mind. She opened her pink post backpack & put away the second hand cd player. As she was doing that, a group of girls with their faces caked with makeup walked up to her with their arms crossed & looks of hatred on their faces.

 

One of the girls reached out & pushed Tiffany to the ground but before they could do anything more, Sunny came running to the rescue. She got in front of Tiffany & put on her fighter pose, “Don’t you dare mess with her. You will have to answer to me & believe me, you don’t want to do that if you want to stay in this school.” Sunny threatened each one of those superficial girls. The girls looked like they were going to defy her but after some quick thinking, they just turned their backs & left. After they left, Sunny held out a hand to Tiffany & helped her back up.


“Girl, what happened? If I hadn’t gotten here sooner, you might be beaten up by now.” Sunny said, as she helped pat some of the dust away from Tiffany’s clothes which was a white/blue jay margaux pinstripe cotton shirt, over a leann stretch boyfriend jean. She completed the outfit with a pair of black running shoes & white socks. Sunny, on the other hand, had on a vince ribbed pencil dress. She had on black top cap ballet flat.

 

A lot of the people in school couldn’t understand why they were best friends.

 

Tiffany sighed & shrugged. She didn’t know why the girls were out to get her either, ‘Could it be because of the guy that I almost ran over?’ She thought. As soon as she thought of the guy, a warm tingling feeling tickled inside her stomach, “Oh well, those girls are probably just jealous of your outfit.” Sunny said jokingly, “Why you.” Tiffany replied, & gave Sunny a little punch on the shoulder, “Hey.” Sunny said, as she rubbed at the pink mark starting to appear on her shoulder blade. Tiffany just smiled & grabbed Sunny’s hand to run inside the main building of chemistry where they both had organic chemistry first. It was in class that they finally learned that Kim Jejung had been admitted to SKY university & that was the guy that Tiffany almost ran over, causing almost all the girls in the school to hate her if they didn’t already.

 

When Tiffany heard that Jejung was going to school with her & was in the same destination as her right now, her heart started beating a mile a minute. When they got out of chemistry which ended early, Tiffany once again, took Sunny’s hand & dragged her along with her. They got to the courtyard which separated the chemistry & literary art building. It was usually a secluded area because most of the girls didn’t like the sunlight so they had usually rather take the long way to go to class then go through the big courtyard. When the two girls got there, they were both breathless for different reasoned. Sunny was breathing heavily at having to be tugged by Tiffany while Tiffany was breathing hard because of possibly meeting Jejung. The Kim Jejung who might be her Jaejoong Oppa.

 

“I can’t believe that Jejung-Sshi is attending uni. with us. I want to see him so badly.” Tears started falling down Tiffany’s face as she said that. She was just so happy & emotional. Sunny was shocked at her friend’s behavior, “Why do you want to meet him so badly?” Tiffany then went on with her story about her childhood best friend who was her first love even though it was at such a young age. Sunny was so touched that she started to cry too, “That’s so sweet!” She exclaimed, as she heard about the rose pouches. The bell rang, signaling the end of first period.

 

Jejung ducked out of his class before the girls could bombard him again. He snuck into the courtyard, connecting the LA building with the chemistry one & breathed a sigh of relief as he saw that it seemed to be empty but voices from behind a tree proved otherwise. He slowly moved a bit & gasped as he saw two girls there. He stared at the girl with straight dark brown, mid-back length hair in oversized clothes in particular, ‘It is her.’ He thought, ‘My Miyoung, I have finally found her.’ He smiled as he realized that she was also the girl that almost ran over him this morning but before he could make his way over to her, he stopped at the words that were spoken by the two girls next.

 

“So, Jejung-Sshi is Jaejoong-Sshi, are you sure?” Tiffany shook her head & then nodded, “I’m not a hundred percent sure but I think they are the same person.” Sunny squealed & grasped Tiffany’s arm tightly, “Do you know what this means?! You are going to be rich! He will sweep you off your feet again, & you will get all the fame & fortune of being the wealthy & popular Kim Jejung’s girlfriend! Heck, you guys might even get married & you will be the wealthy wife of society!” Tiffany laughed & bobbed her head up & down because of Sunny’s enthusiastic & hard shaking, “Won’t that be great? Then I can out-buy you in clothes & other expensive stuff, huh?” Tiffany said jokingly. Sunny stopped & laughed. They talked a little bit more before Sunny had to bid Tiffany goodbye to go to her next class which was biology.

 

Tiffany sat down at the bench next to the tree & sighed. She took out her Kim Jejung cd again, & stared at his face on the cd cover. A sudden rustle of movement caused Tiffany to quickly stand up. Jejung stepped into view, an angry & hurt look on his face. Tiffany looked down at her cd & dropped it as her eyes came level with his real ones again. She gasped & tears started pouring out of her eyes, ‘It is him.’ She thought. She made a move to run over & hug him but Jejung put out his hand to stop her. Confused, Tiffany did as he told & stopped in her tracked. Wetness appeared in his eyes but he willed it to go away. He turned his head away from Tiffany, hurt at her words that he interpreted as wrong. He looked up again, & said, “You are not who I thought you were.” & with that, he left.

 

Tiffany just stared after Jejung’s back as he left. Her brief happiness crumpled down all around her. She was like a deeply wounded white rabbit now. Her knees which felt like jelly now collapsed & she slowly dropped back down on the bench behind her. It hurts, it really hurts. Her heart felt as if it was shattered into a million of pieces. The rain started to pour its way down from the heaven. She started sobbing uncontrollably & hugged her knees to her chest. She stayed that way for a very long time, tears falling as she reminisced what had just happened as well as the memories that seemed to be forgotten. She stayed out there in the rain for the rest of the day, letting it just run right through her. She didn’t really feel it. She was too heartbroken.

 

Tiffany didn’t go to any of her other classes for the day. Sunny, who was supposed to have two more classes with her that day was shocked to see the always punctual Tiffany not in class. When it came time for lunch & she still didn’t see her friend, she started getting really worried. While she was running around, looking for her, she bumped into Siwon. Sunny almost fell to the ground if it weren’t for the strong arms of Siwon that steadied her, “What’s wrong?” He asked Sunny. Sunny looked up at him & burst out crying, “I can’t find Tiffany. Something’s happened to her. I just know it. She is never late to class & not going to class is just way too much for me to believe.” She rambled on & on & cried on Siwon’s shoulder. He patted her on the back & smiled as she hiccupped from all the emotion she was feeling, ‘So, the mighty can fall sometimes, too.’ He thought, liking the vulnerable part of Sunny who cared so deeply for her best friend.


“Okay, stop crying now. Your eyes are turning all red & you are getting all blotchy &.” He then realized that she was crying on his new blue regular fit oxford sport shirt, “& you are ruining another one of my shirts.” Sunny laughed at that & said, “I don’t care.” She then looked up at him pleadingly, “Will you please help me look for her?” Siwon looked down into those soulful eyes of hers & couldn’t resist. He took her hand & said, “Come on then.” They then walked around the whole school for what seemed like an hour. Classes were already over by then, for almost everybody but still, they didn’t find her.

 

Oblivious to all the concern for her, Tiffany continued to let herself be drenched by the rain. She had taken out her rose pouch & hugged it to her face, allowing her tears to fall down on it. The door to the courtyard suddenly burst open but Tiffany didn’t notice it. She was too caught inside her depressed world to feel or hear anything. A sudden clatter of feet came rushing to her, “Tiffany!” Sunny yelled. She looked at the rain as if it were her enemy but then risked it to run towards her friend. When she got there, she started shaking Tiffany & felt no responses, “Tiffany, what’s wrong? Talk to me please?” Sunny was crying again, when she saw the hurt eyes of Tiffany & pools of wetness coursing down her pale cheeks. Tiffany finally looked at her & grabbed her in a hug & sobbed against her shoulder, “He misunderstood. He hates me.” She kept on repeating it over & over again, until she fainted within the arms of Sunny.


Sunny let out a yelp of fright, “Siwon Oppa, something’s wrong. She stopped moving.” She pulled away from Tiffany & saw that she had fainted. Her face was now devoid of any color. Siwon had gone back inside to go get two umbrellas from his locker & borrowed one from a moody detached Jejung when he saw his friend in the hall. He didn’t stop to question him because Tiffany’s safety was much more important now. When he arrived within the courtyard again, Siwon pulled away a hysterical Sunny, “She’s fainted. Oh my gosh. She is so pale. Oh my gosh.” Sunny’s eyes suddenly rolled back & she fell as she fainted but once again, Siwon supported her, ‘Oh, geez.’ He thought, as he saw both girls out cold. He didn’t know what to do so he quickly ran inside the school again, & as luck would have it, the first person he saw was Keunsuk who had decided to go see how his friend was faring, “Keunsuk!” Siwon shouted, grabbing his attention. Keunsuk grinned as he made his way over to the soaking wet Siwon. He whistled, “What happened to you, bro? I must say, is that a new look you are sporting?” Siwon gritted his teeth in annoyance! “No time to explain. Come with me now.” Before Keunsuk could reject, he grabbed his arm & dragged him out to the cold rain outside in the courtyard.