Chapter four

A single promise

He didn’t know how to explain it, but for the first time in a long time he felt at peace.  This felt right, holding this man in his gentle embrace, running his fingers through dark wavy hair that was soft to the touch, and feeling the soft rise and fall of his chest as he drew every breath. This was contentment, and he wished he could have that back. 

It amazed him how easy it was to slip into old patterns.  For the briefest of times he could forget about the life he had back home.  He could leave Baekhyun and Seoul behind and focus on this moment…this present with Luhan. It scared him how easy it was…but the alternative frightened him much more.  He didn’t want to think about the fact that at some point he had to leave Luhan’s side. If it were up to him, he would never leave, not without Luhan right there beside him. He didn’t know how that would work, what it would mean or even how he could make it happen. He just knew that he had already let Luhan down a lot…he needed to do what he had promised to do a long time ago.  He had to take care of him.

A soft hand on his shoulder drew him out of his daze and he turned to see a soft pair of brown eyes staring at him.  He smiled weakly and shifted slightly pulling away from Luhan so that his head rested against the pillow.  He put a finger to his lip silencing his sister before she could speak. He pointed outside and was relieved when she simply nodded and turned to leave. Sehun bent down to press a kiss on Luhan’s forehead before slipping out of the bed completely.  He hated to leave Luhan alone, but he needed to talk to his sister.

She pulled him into a hug as soon as he exited the room and he immediately buried his head in the crook of her neck, inhaling her scent; a slight mixture of rose petals and soap. He hadn’t realized how much he missed her until now and he realized that he had another reason to keep him in California.

“It’s good to see you too, Little brother,” Seon’s soft voice intoned.

He needed to get reacquainted with his big sister.

“How did you know where to find me?” he asked pulling away to look at her.

“I didn’t,” Seon admitted.  “This room was put on my rotation, though…so imagine my surprise when I came in the room and found you two lying in bed together.”

“It’s not what you think,” Sehun said running a hand through his hair, even as a slight frown crossed his lips.

“Maybe it’s not…but you can’t tell me you wouldn’t like it to be.”

“Seon…”

Seon pressed a finger to her brother’s lips to silence him.  “Don’t speak, just follow me. Luhan will be fine,” she said when Sehun hesitantly looked back towards the room.  “We need to talk.”

***

“So are you going to tell me what you’re doing here?” Seon asked as she offered him a cup of coffee. Sehun took the cup and blew on the hot liquid before taking a sip. He was stalling for time, and he knew his sister was aware of it. She was just as sharp as their father when it came to reading him. 

“I don’t suppose you’d believe me if I said I was here to see you,” Sehun questioned as he met his sister’s gaze. They were sitting in the nurses lounge and Seon was leaning against the door with her arms crossed. Sehun was on the couch, his leg bouncing up and down nervously, no matter how much he tried to stop it.

“You wouldn’t be so nervous if you were just here to see me,” Seon pointed out.  “How did you know Luhan was here?”

Her voice was soft and full of concern. She didn’t want to persecute him, which was good…it was the last thing he needed at the moment.  “Luhan called me,” he explained.  I think you know as well as I do that 3am calls are not fun.”

“Luhan called, and you just left Seoul to rush to his side?” Seon inquired.

“You make it sound so simple,” Sehun sighed. “It’s not as simplistic as it sounds, Seon not by any stretch of the imagination.  I promised Luhan, a long time ago, that if he needed me…if he called I would come no questions asked.  He called me, and all he said was I need you. My heart just did a million flips and all I could think about was the sound of his voice.  He sounded so…sad and scared and…what was I supposed to do…say no?”

“I’m not trying to accuse you of anything,” Seon kept her voice gentle and it helped Sehun to relax a little bit. “I just want to understand what’s going on here. The last time we talked, you hadn’t heard from Luhan and had no idea where he was. And that was six months ago. Now you’re here, holding him in your arms and he has injuries that don’t seem to match the explanation…and I think you know something about it.”

Sehun sat silently, sipping on his coffee as he weighed his options. He had his theories, and he was fairly certain that he was right but he couldn’t prove it. On the other hand saying anything meant betraying Luhan, and that wasn’t something he wanted to do. 

“Sehun, come on.”  Seon joined her brother on the couch and draped an arm around his shoulders.  “I can’t help if you don’t talk to me…and I can tell something is bothering you.”

“I can’t,” Sehun shook his head and took another sip of his coffee.  “I can’t tell you what I don’t know…and I can’t tell you what I do because Luhan trusts me and I…I don’t want to violate that.”

“But you’re worried about him,” Seon insisted.  “I can see it in your eyes.  Do you think Luhan is telling the truth about getting into a fight?”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” Sehun mumbled as he stared into his coffee cup.

“Sehun…”

“I’m serious,” Sehun said placing his cup down on the table. 

“I know you are…but I also know that you aren’t being honest with me right now.  Do you think this is just the result of a fight?”

He opened his mouth to speak but closed it when he realized he was caught.  He had never been able to effectively lie to his sister; it was like trying to lie to their father.  He was just no good at it. “You can’t say anything…if Luhan finds out that I said something…”

“You have my word, Sehun. Tell me what you know.”

“Honestly, Seon I don’t know a lot.  I just have theories that can’t be proven without time.”

“Okay, share.”

“I’m sure Luhan was fighting, but he wasn’t roughed up by some random guys on the street.”

“I’m listening.”

“When he called me he was very weak and he was standing in the rain. He didn’t know where he was, and he was begging me to come. When I asked him about the hospital he said he didn’t want to go in because they would just call him.”

“That does sound suspicious,” Seon frowned.  “Who’s him?”

“Jongin.”

“Luhan’s boyfriend?  The one he moved away with?”  Sehun nodded.  “You don’t really think he’d hurt Luhan like this do you?”

“Luhan won’t admit it to me…but he seems so scared of the guy, and he’s always defending him. Jongin sold Luhan’s movies, Seon. His prized movie collection is gone because Jongin thought he was hanging on to the past by keeping them.  Does that sound like a nice guy to you?”

“Are you sure you aren’t just jealous?”  Her words hit him right in the heart, and it hurt that she would even ask something like that.  He looked at her with a serious expression and shook his head sadly.

“I can’t believe you just asked me that. You of all people know that my one wish for Luhan, the only thing I have ever wanted for him, was his happiness.  It hurt like hell when I came home and found out he was in another relationship. And it hurt even more when he left with Jongin. But I could have accepted that…all of it if he was happy.  And he’s not, Seon. That is especially clear to me today.  He’s not happy…he’s trapped and I need to…I want to help him.”

“But Sehun, how do you know Luhan isn’t happy?  People change and it has been five years.”

“I know how long it’s been Seon, but this isn’t as simple as wearing contacts instead of glasses or growing your hair longer and dying it blond. This is a complete shift in personality that makes no sense whatsoever”

“I don’t know Sehun,” Seon shook her head, “I think you’re looking for something that isn’t there?”

“You don’t understand, Seon. Luhan turned down the chance to work with Ang Lee. Luhan adores him like he adores Michael Jackson. There’s no way he would ever pass that up.” He could tell that Seon didn’t look convinced, and he knew she was only looking out for him.  He didn’t need someone to look out for him right now, he needed someone to believe him…it was the only way he could help Luhan.  “Look, sis I know you don’t believe me, but I have to trust my gut here. Luhan needs me.”

“What if you’re wrong?” Seon challenged.  “What if you just find out that Luhan has changed that much?”

“If I’m wrong then there’s a chance that I never knew Luhan at all, but I know that’s not the case.  No one knows him better than I do. There’s a reason why he called me, and it goes far beyond some promise we made five years ago.  I just know there is…and I can’t leave California until I figure this out. Luhan wouldn’t give up on me, so I’m certainly not going to give up on him.”

**

Luhan felt a hand on his arm and his eyes fluttered open. A kind nurse smiled down at him as she checked his blood pressure and stuck a thermometer in his mouth.  His eyes roamed around the room, a frown settling across his lips as he realized that he was all alone. It wouldn’t be the first time that he found himself alone in a hospital bed, with no friends or family nearby to care for him. In fact he was quite used to it. Jongin could never stay by his side for too long. His job kept him pretty busy, and it always seemed like the phone never stopped ringing. Luhan secretly wished that Jongin would care enough to stay instead of running off, but it never happened. 

Luhan knew Jongin’s work was important, and he understood that…but he was lonely and he just wanted someone to care enough to be there. With a heavy sigh he moved, ignoring the pain that shot through his ribs.  He swung his legs down to the ground and stood. His body cried for him to stop but he didn’t listen. He wanted to find Sehun…he was sure that his friend hadn’t left the hospital…Sehun wouldn’t do that to him, he knew that much.

Somehow he managed to make it to the door of his hospital room, and he grabbed the doorframe to steady himself. There was no sign of Sehun just outside the room or at the nurse’s station and he realized he didn’t really know where to start looking. It was possible that Sehun had gone to the cafeteria. The nurse had said something about breakfast, so that made reasonable sense. But he was sure if that were the case sehun would have left him a note.

He pushed himself away from the door and slowly stepped out of the room.  If he could find out where Sehun’s sister was he was certain she’d be able to lead him straight to Sehun. 

**

Sehun hurried as fast as he could to Luhan’s room. He hadn’t intended to be gone so long, and he was anxious to check on his friend.  “God, Luhan I’m sorry…” he said stopping short as he spotted the empty bed.  “Luhan?” he questioned as he looked in the adjoining bathroom.  “Oh god,” he said as he left the room and flagged down the first nurse he could find.  “Can you please tell me where the patient who was in this room went?”

“I’m not sure sir.  I haven’t seen him since I took his blood pressure this morning.”

“You don’t know?” Sehun said exasperatedly.  “How can you not know?  Do you normally just let patients walk out of a hospital room?”

“I think Mr. Oh went for a walk, sir,” another nurse came to her colleague’s defense.  “He went that way about an hour ago?”

Sehun looked in the direction the nurse had pointed and then turned back to her.  “About an hour ago?  You don’t think it’s strange that he went for a walk about an hour ago and hasn’t come back to the room?  Seriously?”

“We’ll get everyone to look for him sir,” the first nurse tried to soothe Sehun’s frazzled nerves.  “You need to calm down though.  He couldn’t have gotten far with his injuries.”

“He shouldn’t have been walking with his injuries,” Sehun snapped back before leaving the nurse’s side.  His mind was racing as he tried to figure out where Luhan could have gone off to. He wondered what made Luhan get out of bed, he just knew he had to be hurting…and he had lost so much blood. His heart pounded in his head as he walked from one end of the floor to the other, looking in doorways and exits. Everyone was looking for Luhan, and he was growing increasingly irritated. Was this hospital really that huge that they could lose a patient who couldn’t walk that fast to begin with?

He soon found himself back near the nurse’s lounge.  He pushed the door that would lead to the stairwell and gasped when he saw the body lying on the floor in an awkward position.  “Luhan,” he said as he rushed to his friend’s side and turned him over. He found a pulse and breathed a sigh of relief.  He was alive, but it didn’t look like he was conscious.  “Somebody help,” he called even as he scooped Luhan up into his arms. 

**

Sehun was sitting by his bedside when he opened his eyes an hour later. A shy smile crossed his lips as he stared up at the dark brown eyes he knew so well. “There you are,” he said his voice groggy from the medicine they had given him.

“Hey you,” Sehun smiled as he reached out to take Luhan’s hand.  “You gave me quite a scare.”

“I wasn’t trying to scare you,” Luhan frowned.  “I just didn’t know where you were…and I was lonely.”

“I’m sorry.  I went to talk to Seon for a few minutes.  When I came back and you weren’t here I freaked and…well I’m just glad you’re okay.”

“You aren’t mad at me are you?”

“Not at all.  But next time, if I’m not here, could you just push the call button?  Seon or one of the other nurses will find me.  Though, I’m hoping that you don’t have to stay in here for long.”

“Jongin never came back did he?” Luhan asked changing the subject slightly.

“I’m afraid not,” Sehun said keeping his tone neutral.  “I’m sure he’ll show up later this afternoon.  Is he still a defense lawyer?”

“Yeah, he’s trying to make partner,” Luhan explained.  “I don’t think he like his coworkers though.  He always seems to be fighting with them, and then he goes out and he drinks before he comes home.”

“Does he do that a lot?”

“It seems like it, lately,” Luhan admitted.  “I honestly don’t like it when he drinks, but he says it helps him to loosen up a bit after a hard day”

“Have you told anyone about this besides me?”

I don’t have anyone to tell,” Luhan confessed.  “You’re actually the first familiar face I’ve seen or communicated with in years.  I don’t really have any friends here. I mean I did when we first moved here…but after awhile they stopped coming around, and I was never really available to do things with them.  And you know I’m not that great at making friends.”

“You had plenty of friends back home,” Sehun reminded him.

“They were your friends,” Luhan countered.  “They just kinda welcomed me into the group.”

“And they consider you their friend.  They were just as sad as I was when you left.”

“That feels like an eternity ago,” Luhan sighed.  “Do you still talk to any of them?  Suho, Kris, Yixing? Chanyeol and Zitao?”

“I talked to Jongdae just recently.  He’s moving to New York.”

“Yeah?” Luha’s interest was piqued.  “Is he going to sing or act or what?”

“He’s going to Broadway,” Sehun sang as he flourished his hands. Luhan laughed and Sehun thought it was the best sound he had heard in days.

“I wish I could go to New York to see him, and I miss his voice.”

“I’ll take you to New York whenever you want to come, Luhan.  You just have to say the word.”

There was a knock on the door before Luhan could respond and both boys turned to see Jongin standing there with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.  “Jongin,” Luhan said smiling as the brown eyed man came forward.

“Hey, babe.  I’m sorry about yesterday.  Hi Sehun.” 

“Jongin,” Sehun acknowledged as he watched the man kiss Luhan on the lips. He placed the flowers in Luhan’s hands.

“Wait Luhan don’t,” Sehun said as Luhan smelt the blossoms. Right on cue he sneezed and pushed the flowers away. 

“What the hell, Luhan,” Jongin said as Luhan continued to sneeze uncontrollably.

“Flowers….a-choo!  Allergic, achoo!”  Sehun calmly took the flowers and put them on the other side of the room before grabbing a tissue and handing it to Luhan.  “Thank you,” Luhan said before sneezing again.

“I’ll leave you two alone for a few,” Sehun said grabbing the flowers before heading for the door. He could feel eyes on the back of his head and he turned to see Luhan staring at him.  Eyes locked for a brief moment before Sehun nodded his assent and left.

“I’m sorry about that,” Luhan said, turning his attention back to his boyfriend.  “The flowers were nice…I just shouldn’t have smelled them.  I should know better.”

“How are you feeling,” Jongin asked taking a seat in the chair beside Luhan’s bed.

“I’m going to be sore for a few days, but the doctor says I’m okay.”

“You didn’t tell them anything did you?” Jongin asked his tone serious.

“No,” Luhan shook his head.  “I know it was an accident, and you didn’t mean to do it. I just wish you would stop drinking so much, it scares me.”

“We’ve been through this, Babe,” Jongin’s tone was gruff as he touched Luhan’s face with his fingers. “Drinking is my way to loosen up. I have to relax sometimes and there’s so much BS at work, I think I may be able to make partner soon though.  That last case was a killer.”

Luhan reveled in Jongin’s touch for a moment before turning to kiss his hand. “That is good news, I’m proud of you.” He smiled genuinely. “Will you be able to stay with me while I recover?” he asked a moment later. “The doctor doesn’t think I should be alone.”

“I’m afraid I can’t, hon,” Jongin said sadly. “I can‘t afford to take any time off right now.  I’m sorry.  When you get out of here I’ll make it up to you.”

“Okay,” Luhan frowned. He lowered his head and looked at his hands trying his best not to shed any tears. It wasn’t as if he weren’t used to that response.

“Hey,” Jongin said lifting up Luhan’s chin.  “I’m doing everything I’m doing for you, you know that right?”

Luhan nodded and tried his best not to look sad. He knew he should be grateful…after all Jongin was there now, and he was trying. He felt a weight on the bed, and then felt Jongin’s arms wrap around him. He winced at the pain Jongin caused when he squeezed too tight, but he soon adjusted and snuggled against his boyfriend. He felt a little better in Jongin’s embrace but he couldn’t allow himself to fall asleep. His eyes remained open, and he wondered if Jongin could hear his heart beating rapidly.  He didn’t know how to explain it, and he didn’t think he could tell his boyfriend even if he did understand.  The only person who would wasn’t in the room…

***

Luhan frowned at the phone, squinting at the words on the screen as if he wanted to change them. The message was clear but it depressed him greatly. Sehun was still in London, and would be there over Christmas break. And it wasn’t his fault…he wanted to get home, Luhan could almost feel the desperation in the text message…but he was stuck.  Luhan made sure Sehun knew that he loved him, and that he understood…and he did. It would be the first Christmas they hadn’t spent together since they met, but it couldn’t be helped. Sehun was sending a Christmas care package just for Luhan; and Luhan was going to send him something too. It wouldn’t be the same, but it was what it had to be this year.

It was sad really, Luhan had been feeling like him and Sehun were drifting apart. Their emails were less frequent now, and their letters…they were mere shells of the long missives they exchanged when Sehun first went away. He didn’t know what to think about it, and he wished that he and Sehun could talk about it…but time didn’t seem to be on their side at the moment. All he knew for certain was that he missed him, and he would do anything to be able to surprise him in London.

“You look like you could use some company.”  The voice startled him and he looked up just as a good looking guy with brown eyes sat across from him.  “What’s a cute guy like you doing drinking alone?”

“I don’t mind,” Luhan said looking at his phone again before slipping it into his pocket.  He tried to smile and focused on the cup of coffee sitting before him. His finger traced the rim, and he wished that the guy with the brown eyes would go away.  He wasn’t much in the mood for talking.

“I couldn’t help but notice how sad you looked though,” the guy insisted as he folded his arms on the table.  “Would you like to talk about it?”

“I’m just missing someone is all,” Luhan explained. My boyfriend is far away right now, and he won’t be home for Christmas.”

“Damn, I’m too late.”

“Excuse me,” Luhan said taken aback.

“You’re already taken; I should have guessed that a gorgeous guy like you wouldn’t be single.”

“Oh,” Luhan said blushing despite himself. He still to this day wasn’t very good with strangers, and certainly wasn’t comfortable with them flirting with him. This guy was flirting wasn’t he? “Sehun and I are very happy…we’re college sweethearts,” He blurted, not sure why he felt the need to mention that.

“Well, Sehun is a very lucky guy.  My name is Jongin by the way.” 

“Luhan,” Luhan said reaching out for a handshake.

“Well Luhan, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Would you like to be my friend?” 

“I’d like that,” Luhan said a small smile crossing his lips. “I could really use one of those right about now.”

Hanging out with Jongin was a great distraction for Luhan. The days went by faster and he found that he only thought about Sehun when he was alone in his apartment surrounded by their things Jongin was very nice and spent as much time with Luhan as his schedule allowed. He was a law student getting ready for graduation and then he would have to take the bar exam. Luhan helped him study for exams sometimes, and they laughed and talked over coffee. It was definitely nice to have a friend to talk to, especially when he was feeling blue.

Things took a turn Luhan didn’t expect towards the end of February. He and Jongin were talking like always over coffee. Jongin had aced an exam and he had insisted on celebrating. Luhan was working, so they settled for a latte during Luhan’s ten minute break. He was happy because he had received an early birthday gift from Sehun, which gave him an even better reason to celebrate. They toasted to Jongin’s news and just as Luhan was about to get up to return to work, Jongin placed his hand on top of Luhan’s and stopped him from moving.

“What are you doing?” Luhan asked smiling despite his discomfort.

“I’m very attracted to you, Luhan,” Jongin said, his dark silver gaze focused directly on Luhan’s sapphire one.  “And I want to explore these feelings I have stirring. 

“Jongin, I can’t I have a boyfriend,” Luhan said pulling his hand away. Jongin pulled Luhan back down to his seat and held him there, his hand capturing Luhan’s so he couldn’t escape. 

“You and I have been seeing each other regularly for months now Luhan. I thought we were getting close.  Don’t you trust me?”

“I do, and we are,” Luhan said, wishing that Jongin would stop looking at him like that. That gaze was intimidating.  “But…”

“No buts Luhan. I think we both know what you have yet to accept.”

“We’ve talked about this, Jongin,” Luhan said his voice trembling.  He knew what his friend was referring to. Luhan had voiced his fears about Sehun staying in London, and with every day that went by without a letter it was a prospect that scared him more and more.  The birthday gift had alleviated some of that fear but it was still present.

“I’m talking about the fact that it has been me who has made you smile for the past few months,” Jongin said even as he moved closer, his mouth inches away from Luhan’s. We’ve had fun together you and I have a nice chemistry.”

Kissing Jongin was nice. There wasn’t the same electricity he felt when he kissed Sehun…but it was just what Luhan needed to fill the loneliness in his heart. Jongin was right, his relationship with Sehun had fallen apart, and Jongin was a good guy, this was the best way to repay him. 

He gave in and agreed to be Jongin’s boyfriend.  Sehun returned home a week later to surprise him for his birthday.

***

“Where did those come from,” Seon asked as Sehun placed the flowers down on her desk.

“Jongin brought them for Luhan,” Sehun explained as he leaned against the counter. 

“Okay…so why do you have them?” Seon asked confused.

“Look at the flowers, Seon, they’re roses, Luhan is allergic to roses.”

“Then why did Jongin bring him flowers he is allergic to?” Seon pondered.

“That’s what I’d like to know.  But whatever I told Luhan I’d give them to you.”

“So Jongin is with Luhan now?”

“He was when I left,” Sehun sighed. “I left them alone, even though I don’t like the idea of Luhan being with that guy.”

“You look exhausted little brother. I think the jet lag is catching up with you. You should go to my place, take a shower and catch some sleep.”

“I can’t,” Sehun sighed.  “Luhan needs me here.”

“You can’t help Luhan if you are suffering from sleep deprivation, Sehun.  I think he would understand. You didn’t even bring any luggage with you, did you? I didn’t think so,” she said when her brother shook his head.  “Here are my keys.  Let yourself in, take a nice hot shower and crawl into bed.  I’ll let Luhan know that you’ll be back…and I’ll make sure he knows it’s my fault you didn’t say good bye okay?”

“You’re not going to let me talk my way out of this one are you?” Sehun asked even as he yawned. He had to admit he was extremely tired, and he hadn’t slept much, save for the few hours last night with Luhan. He was running on pure adrenaline and he knew his sister was very much aware of it.

“I’m calling you a cab now. Go, get a shower, change your clothes and sleep. Luhan will feel much better knowing he’s not keeping you sleep deprived.” Seon smiled and kissed her brother’s cheek, pulling him into a tight hug before sending him on his way.  “The cab should be here in a minute.  I’m proud of you Sehun.”

“You’ll tell Luhan?”

“I’ll tell Luhan that you wanted to say good bye but I wouldn’t let you. Now go.”  Sehun hugged his sister once more before leaving. He truly didn’t like leaving Luhan in the hospital with Jongin...but in truth he really didn’t have a choice. Jongin was Luhan’s boyfriend…that was a fact Sehun had had to accept…he just didn’t particularly like it.

***

Luhan was still awake when Seon entered his room. He smiled weakly at Sehun’s sister as she came closer and explained that she needed to check his vitals and make sure that he was okay. He moved out of Jongin’s embrace and sat up so that Seon could check his blood pressure and stick the thermometer into his mouth.

“Do you need something to help you sleep?” she asked as she withdrew the thermometer and marked her findings on the chart.

“I am having a little trouble sleeping,” he admitted shyly.  He knew who and what could help him sleep, but he certainly wasn’t going to say that. He didn’t want to hurt his boyfriend’s feelings. It was nice of Jongin to stay, even though Luhan was certain he had other things he needed to be doing. 

“Well, I’ll get you a sedative,” Seon smiled and fixed his blankets. “Though you may have a better time if it’s just you in the bed,” she suggested, her eyes moving to Jongin who was watching her like a hawk.

“How’s he doing, nurse?” Jongin asked releasing his hold on Luhan and moving out of the bed as suggested. 

“The doctor will be in to check on him in the morning,” Seon replied. “He’s doing okay, no fevers so far or infections. You’re going to be fine, Luhan. Let me go get that sedative. Oh and Sehun wanted me to tell you he will be back tomorrow. He would have told you himself but I sent him away with strict instructions to shower and sleep.”

“He did look tired,” Luhan conceded sadly.

“Sehun doesn’t need to come back,” Jongin spoke up sharply.  “I can take care of Luhan. You tell him he can stay gone.”

Seon heard the words, but her focus was on Luhan who visibly reacted to Jongin’s tone. She was certain that Jongin didn’t see the sadness that clouded Luhan’s eyes at the thought of Sehun not returning. To Seon those eyes looked way too gloomy. “He was very tired,” she agreed with Luhan’s earlier statement.  “And concerned about you, so you keep getting better and my little brother will be fine. I’ll be right back with that sedative.”

“You didn’t have to be so mean to Sehun’s sister,” Seon heard Luhan say as she left. She didn’t stop long enough to hear Jongin’s reply, her attention completely set on getting something to help Luhan sleep. She was beginning to understand why her brother was so worried about him. He did seem different from what she remembered. He seemed almost hesitant and shy, and uncomfortable. It was interesting really, for she could also sense that Luhan cared about Jongin…but was it love or gratitude or some sort? 

Luhan’s body language coupled with the attitude Jongin had towards Sehun was enough to pique her interest.  She gave Luhan his sedative and assured him she would be back to check on him over night. When she returned from her rounds she pulled up Luhan’s medical records. If there was any truth to what her little brother suspected this was the best place to start.

***      

“Did I wake you,” Sehun asked as he settled into bed in his sister’s guestroom. After a long hot shower and a small meal he was finally ready to get some rest. Of course he had a few phone calls to make first.

“Not at all, Babe,” Baekhyun said even as he rubbed his eyes.  “How are things in California?  Is Luhan alright?”

“Not really, but that’s a story for another day. I’m at my sister’s place now about to get some sleep. But I wanted to check on you first. Is everything alright?”

“Everything’s great now that I know you’re okay.  How long are you going to be in California?”

“For as long as Luhan needs me to be,” Sehun replied honestly. “I can’t in good faith just leave him, Baekhyun. I have a feeling there is a reason, a big one, why he called me, and I have to find out what that is.”

“I can tell this is really important to you, I miss you though.”

“Now you know how I feel when you go on your photo journalism assignments,” Sehun teased.  “I’ll try not to be gone too long, okay?”

“What are you going to do about work, Sehun?”

“I can use Seon’s computer, and my editor can get me the last edit on my book. I will be fine. You just stay out of trouble.”

“I’ll do my best. I love you Sehun.”

“Ditto.  Good night Baek.” Sehun hung up with his boyfriend and placed his phone on the night table beside him. He knew he was making the right decision and he didn’t regret it.  He hoped that Luhan was okay and momentarily wondered if he should call the hospital to check. He weighed his options in his mind, deciding finally that one call wouldn’t hurt. He grabbed his phone and called the hospital specifically dialing his sister’s extension.

“UCLA Medical?”

“Seon, it’s me. Can you patch me into Luhan’s room?”

“Sure thing, but don’t talk too long, okay? He needs sleep.”

“I promise. Thanks sis.”  He heard the clicks as she directed his call and waited, hoping against hope that Luhan would pick up.

“Hello?” A groggy voice met his ears.

“Hey, did I wake you?”

“No…I’m still trying to go to sleep. Your sister gave me something to help…but it didn’t’ work.”

“How are you feeling?”

“I wish you were here.” Luhan confessed sleepily.

“You shouldn’t say things like that with your boyfriend around,” Sehun whispered.

“He’s not here.”

“Where did he go?” Sehun asked frowning.

“I don’t know, I closed my eyes and when I opened them again he was gone. I guess he got called in to work again or something. I was surprised he stayed as long as he did.”

“Well I’d stay with you all night,” Sehun confessed softly.  “Look, Luhan, I want you to try to get some sleep, and I’ll be there bright and early tomorrow with cinnamon rolls and coffee.”

“Nice and hot with extra frosting, right?”

“I know how you like them. Go to sleep for me okay?”

“I love you, Sehun.”

Those words touched Sehun more then he thought Luhan realized. A part of him wondered if Luhan even realized what he said. “I love you too, Luhan. See you tomorrow.”

His words were met with silence, followed by snoring, a clear indication that his best friend had fallen asleep. He smiled and touched the phone to his lips before terminating the call. He placed his phone on the table and snuggled down beneath the covers, allowing thoughts of Luhan and his words to lull him to sleep.