1/1

Do You Still Like Me?

here's the /coughs rather long awaited/ xiuhan~

please don't have high expectations

orz


In all twenty-something years of his life, Minseok has literally never been more anxious than now. Not even when he came out to his parents -- they had always been very open-minded and very open about that. It wasn't the usual Korean style, but he was thankful for that. His friends were worse, and the rest of the school had been absolutely horrible, but he had always had Jongdae that he could count on (the made no difference, and it was only one year anyways).

Somehow, that still can't compare to this.

Luhan, Lu freaking Han, had asked him out on a date. A date. With Luhan. Luhan, who had been his secret crush for two years now, even though crushes were supposed to go away after a few months (according to some articles he had read a while back... don't ask).

"Jongdae!" he yells from the bedroom, expecting the other to be in the kitchen.

"Yeah, hyung?" He hears in return. Moments after, Jongdae pops into the room with a small loaf of bread in one hand.

Minseok expects that -- he and Jongdae have been friends for a decade now, give or take a few years, having met when they were children in the same choir. They once sung a duet together, and have been best friends ever since. "What should I wear?"

"How should I know?" Jongdae mutters back. "Try those jeans and that shirt you wore to that musical a while back."

"Do you think that's okay?" Minseok starts chewing on his bottom lip, pulling both articles of clothing out to consider.

Jongdae is so much closer to giving up. There's only so much he can take of this. "Hyung, I'm sure it'll be fine. You could wear a dress for all he should care. He's the one who asked you out in the first place."

Minseok is still not pacified. "Jongdae!" He tugs down on the shirt, fixing the folds.

"What, it's not like you've never dated before." Jongdae shugs.

"Yeah, but it wasn't with someone who I've liked for so long!" Minseok finishes pulling up his pants and turns to face Jongdae.

He smiles, trying to comfort the other. "It looks fine, hyung. You need to stop worrying so much."

With a sigh, Minseok jumps onto the bed, almost hitting Jongdae in midair. "Jongdae," he drags out the name. "What if everything goes wrong?"

"Nothing's going to happen, hyung. Just relax and you'll be fine."

Oh, how wrong he is.

--

Looking out into the sea of headlights opposite of them, Luhan finally says what they're both thinking. "We're lost."

They're in Luhan's car, trying to get to the restaurant they had planned to go to, except they've been on the road for close to an hour already for what should have been a twenty minute drive.

"I think so too," Minseok groans, slumping in the passenger seat. "I'm sorry, I should've been paying more attention to the GPS."

Luhan gives him a look. “Are you kidding? I’m the one driving. It’s my fault.”

Minseok is about to protest that when the light turns green and Luhan has to focus on the road again.

They drive a while more through the night, sky dark but roads bright. This time Minseok and Luhan both pay as close attention to the GPS as possible, and even then they almost miss the turn. Luckily, they’re able to reach their destination before it closes (albeit fifty minutes late).

The candles give the air a pleasant aroma, and the chatter of other patrons isn’t too loud – it’s perfect white noise. Hoping that nothing else happens, Minseok lets out a sigh and gives Luhan a smile.

Of course, he’s not let off this easily.

Ten minutes in, Minseok manages to spill his drink, causing a big commotion. He’s beyond mortified, and quickly drops to the floor with napkins, until one of the waitresses comes over with a rag and kneels down beside him to start scrubbing.

“I’m so sorry,” he repeats, panic evident in his voice.

“Please don’t worry,” she replies with a comforting smile. “We’ll clean it up and you can continue on with your dinner.”

Minseok stands back up, ashamed. He avoids looking at Luhan until the other starts talking to him first.

“Hey, are you alright?”

Beyond frazzled, Minseok’s reply is a jumbled mess. “Yeah, the drink—I mean the glass didn’t break so – yeah, I’m okay, but the drink—and the floor, um, yeah. Sorry.”

Luhan laughs a little. “Hey, don’t worry about it. Let’s finish eating and go take a walk or something.

Soon, the odd looks and whispers stop, but Minseok and Luhan rush to finish eating anyway.

Sure enough, that isn’t the last mishap of the night. Before they get back to Minseok’s house, they’ve been chased by a cat in the park, barked away by two dogs in someone’s house on the way back from the park, very nearly run over when crossing the street, and they’d both slipped in a puddle of mud. A very large puddle of mud.

The most extraordinary thing, perhaps, would be that Minseok (either directly or indirectly) cause each of those things.

He’d accidentally kicked the cat (how are you supposed to see a black cat in the dark?), well maybe the dogs were just being dogs. He hadn’t looked both way before crossing the road (resulting in a very drama-like scene in which Luhan had pulled Minseok back and dipped him dramatically). The mud… well he doesn’t even know how that happened, they’d just been walking and fell. It must have been his fault though, with all the bad luck he’s been having.

When they finally get back, the first thing Luhan does is sigh and say, “Well, that was a wreck.”

Minseok starts apologizing, head bowed and eyes cast to the ground. He believes that he’d ruined his chance with Luhan, until the latter continues.

“But I sure had a fun time.” When he looks up, Luhan’s smiling. “Thanks.”

“Thanks?” This is hard to believe. How could this disaster of a date have been described as “fun”?

“Well,” Luhan seems to ponder something. “I guess we will need a do over.”


idek what i just wrote either so