FOUR

The Night Circus

Miyung wasn’t sure how she felt about the weird relationship between her and Baekhyun. In fact, she was scared. Scared by how easily she had been tempted by him and how she reacted to him. It wasn’t natural, almost as if he had some hold on her. This scared her even more; there was so much hidden behind the curtains that she didn’t know. Maybe that she would never know; that she wasn’t meant to find out.

Miyung laughed to herself. Of course he wasn’t normal; he was confined to the grounds of a circus where he performed supernatural tricks. How long had he been here, though? When was the last time he saw his family; did he even have a family? Miyung was surprised she hadn’t gone loopy yet; anyone else would. What was wrong with her? She panicked and looked around. This place was creeping into her mind, slowly, but surely, and tainting her. How long would it be before she become like them? Thoughts spread across her mind like wild fire, consuming her in the flames. Gripping her hair between her fingers, she lent over with her head between her knees. Was this the end for her? She had had dreams and plans. But the more she thought about it, the more she believed those statements to be untrue. She wasn’t going anywhere; she was lost before and just even more lost now.

Breath, Miyung, breath.

She rubbed her eyes and laid back down on the floor again. What time was it, she wondered to herself. There was no indication of time anywhere; she only knew that the shows were when the sun had fallen. But, surely it had been longer that that. Maybe they just weren’t every night.

Her body felt hot despite the cool air and hard ground. She wanted to fall asleep again but slumber couldn’t break through the barrier of her racing thoughts. So instead, she just laid down staring at the black and white walls. The colours faded together to create dull greys. Miyung breathed heavily with her hand placed over her chest, trying to clear her mind.

She thought of the frost and the snow and the small prints that the winter birds made in it. Winter was probably her favourite time of year, just for the sheer beauty of it; the perfect simpleness of it. Watching the snow fall, filled her with content and relaxed her mind, like therapeutics.

“What are you doing?” someone cut through her fantasy. She looked up to see a tall boy with brown hair. He was just as entrancing as Baekhyun, but she struggled to recall his name. “I’m Sehun” he told her, as if answering her thoughts.

There was a long pause as she just stared at him. Sehun sighed and walked towards her. “Nevermind” he mumbled.

Miyung snapped out of her thoughts. “Oh, sorry” she said. A blush was creeping up her cheeks. Stop it, you’re embarrassing yourself, but the boy remained emotionless.

He came and sat down next to her, eyeing her from the side. They sat in silence for a moment; there didn’t seem to be anything to say. Miyung sighed and wrapped her arms around her legs.

“Do you want to play a game?” Sehun broke the silence, again. Before Miyung could answer he pulled out a pack of cards and spread them out on the floor in front of you, faced down. He looked at them for a while, then looked at Miyung. She was rather confused; she didn’t know where he came from and what he was doing. She nearly laughed out loud; she didn’t know anything about anyone or anything, in fact.

After a few moments, she decided to reach out to pick a card but before he hand landed on one Sehun choose one.

“This is your card” he announced, turning it around. Death. She stared at it for a moment. A picture of a man on a black horse was shown. What? Miyung didn’t know anything about tarot cards, but death definitely was not a good one.

“Wha..?” she started, but couldn’t finish. Sehun only looked at her calmly. How could she get death? She wasn’t going to die, was she? This is all a game, she tried to remind herself; it isn’t real. But trying to make herself believe that was useless.

“It doesn’t mean you're going to die” Sehun told her, sighing. She snapped her head up to look at him, he didn’t look the least bit bothered. “well, probably not. I don’t see it happening, really.”

Sehun knew quite well that she wasn’t going to die; she was a part of the circus now, but Miyung, herself, couldn’t know that.

“Then what?” Miyung asked shakily. She watched Sehun carefully; she didn’t want to miss anything. Freaky circus people.

“It’s just a time of change” he said, matter-of-factly. “I honestly didn’t expect you to get that card. It’ll probably be different in the near future”. Miyung stared at him; it was as if they didn’t realise that the things they were telling her didn’t make any sense; that it was her life they were playing with. It made her angry, and she didn’t know how to deal with it.

“Why would you tell me things like this?” she snapped at him. He only looked mildly surprised at her outbreak. “I’m know you know that I don’t understand. Why would you show me this when no one tell me anything else?” She breathed heavily, trying to stop herself from crying, or alternatively, punching Sehun in the face.

“I don’t understand anything!” her voice broke as she reached the end of the sentence.

“Neither do I” Sehun told her quietly. Miyung was surprised to hear it. But maybe, they were thrown into it just like she had been. Their might not even be anything to understand. The foundations were lost.

Sehun sat beside her, staring at the ground. He looked so sad that it was strange. It was the only real emotion she had seen on him, thus far at least.

“That’s what your card means, you just have to accept things.” He still didn’t look at her “it’s mine, too” he told her. They really didn’t know anything, or at least Sehun didn’t. Miyung didn’t know what to do with him, so she just wrapped her arms around Sehun and hugged him. She thought that that’s what she wanted at that moment, and hoped Sehun appreciated it also. When was the last time someone had hugged these guy? It could have been years, for all she knew.

Baekhyun watched Sehun with Miyung from a doorway. Jealousy played around him, casting him into a bad mood. He thought, that if he left Miyung alone anymore people may get too touchy with her. She was meant to be him. This was not right. And he didn’t like it. Sehun couldn’t just waltz in and play around with her.

He didn’t understand why he had this possession over her, but it angered him when she hugged Sehun so easily.

“Mimi” he called, cheerfully. Baekhyun skipped towards them. Instantly, Miyung removed her arms from around Sehun and looked up at Baekhyun. Good, he thought. She smiled at him and reached her hands up so he could help her up. She got onto her feet and turned around to see that Sehun had vanished.

“What?” she murmured and looked around the whole place, but there was no sign of Sehun. There was only Baekhyun, smiling brightly at her.

“Can’t you guys be in the same room at the same time?” Miyung questioned him. Baekhyun laughed loudly and shook his head.

“We see each other all the time, Miyung” he replied. Was there something different about Baekhyun today, she wondered. Probably not, he was always weird. She just had to accept that, like Sehun had said.

Once she had accepted everything, things would be easier, she thought to herself. Just forget everything else and you’ll be fine.

“Just forget everything else and you’ll be fine” Baekhyun told her, exactly as she had thought. “that’s what I do”

Hahahah Baekhyun ing. I could definitely see that happening. Urgh I’m not entirely happy with this but I think I still like it. Sorry it’s a bit of a filler chapter. Maybe could someone give me any ideas for it?

I have a few but they’re all disconnected.