ONE

The Night Circus

There are many people who we see every day but never really notice. There are people we know exist but don’t bother to find; the extraordinary ones.

Miyung was people watching. Just by one look you can tell ones status and by the way they look at others you can see how they view themselves in this broken society. Miyung wasn’t too bothered herself. She saw the populars and critics; the hipsters and misfits but really they were all just strangers.

Strangers don’t really care for much because in the end we are all alone; no one really knows you; we are all just playing the game. And this game doesn’t really end nor does it ever really start. It exists only to the eye of the beholder, but is played by everyone else.

He had taught her that. He had shined a light on her life and taught her how to play this wondrous and spectacular game. This beautiful stranger, one she didn’t quite remember letting in, had shown her the treasures, which made her dizzy from awe and the dark secrets that haunted his corrupt mind. Miyung was trapped in the beauty of the tainted man.

***

The low winter sun cast shadows by the trees and reflected off the snow making the area twinkle in the gloom. Frost climbed the trees and danced across browned leaves in intricate patterns. It seemed so eerily frail. Miyung watched it and sighed. How could something so beautiful and complicated be so vulnerable?

She brushed past the tree and moved on. Miyung was lost. Light shined into her eyes from every angle making her feel dizzy and disorientated. She had decided that it would be a good idea to go outside, since she had been all winter. Too trapped in her own mind. Maybe it wasn’t the best plan. She was cold and moping as she trudged her feet heavily through the white snow. It was clear and flat so she had no way of following someone else’s trail. The wind glided around her making her hair fly and stick to her face. She could hear noises in the distance but didn’t quite know which way they were coming from.

Soon enough, she found footsteps crusted into the snow and followed them hoping to find civilisation. They led her to a path. It was slippery from the snow being beaten into ice. Unfortunately, she still had no clue as to where she was. It looked like people had walked there recently as the top layer of ice was wet and slushy. Miyung hummed to herself and continued walking.

The area changed around her. There were more trees but they were further from the path, which was hard and slick. Miyung decided to walk on the soft snow next to it. The sun was high in the sky and little birds pecked at old acorns, making holes in the snow. Hushed voices could be heard ahead.

“Perhaps this wasn’t too bad” Miyung thought to herself. However, as she walked towards the noise she found that it wasn’t quite what she was expecting. A large black and white tent towered before her and broke through the trees. Soft and ghostly music travelled to her ears and got louder as she moved towards it. Miyung recognised the tent as a circus. But why was it out here? Maybe she had just gone in a circle and found it from the wrong way. Anyway, Miyung walked towards it and noticed an opening in the tent.

As she walked through she found that it was empty. The music was still playing though. The inside was dull and muted. Shadows swept through the space. Miyung turned as she was pulled into the dark. She looked around rapidly and gasped as she saw images of light ripple across the inside of the tent. It was enchanting and captivating, like dancers and acrobats. Miyung stepped towards it and reached out as if to touch the light. But suddenly it was gone.

Miyung spun and looked around frantically. She shook her head and shivered. What was this place? Why was no one here and how? She ran for the square of light on the floor indicating the exit. But as she reached it she found that it wasn’t there. She looked up and saw it again a couple meters to the left, but as she started she tripped and fell to her knees. When she looked up again it was gone, leaving her in the shadows. Carefully, she got to her feet and stepped forward. Her breathing was heavy. The air s thickly around her neck and caressed her jaw. She let out a cry but realised she could no longer hear herself as the music had crept louder into her ears. A cold sweat covered her forehead; she was no longer alone.

She sensed a presence no less than a couple centimetres behind her. Cool air was being blown gently onto her neck and she could smell sweetness. Miyung turned around slowly but there was no person. As she stared into gloom she saw a figure move towards her. She blinked and in a heartbeat they were behind her. Her body was frozen and he chuckled lightly.

“W-what is this?” She said shakily “What are you?” She felt him shuffle just slightly behind her.

He laughed. “This? Why this, is just a game. Hmmm?” As he said it he walked around slowly to face her. His soft features formed a slight smile and as he looked at her he smiled with curiosity. Miyung watched him and stepped back. Creepy man.

“How do I get out? I want to go.” She asked whilst looking down.

“Well, I wouldn’t know? It’s your game.” He almost purred to her. He moved his hand towards her chin but didn’t touch her. Yet she still moved her head up to face him. Miyung didn’t know why. She was hypnotized by this man without reason. It was if charm was placed upon her.

Miyung shivered and asked “Who are you, then?”She wasn’t too sure if she wanted to know the answer. What was this? How had this happened to her?

“That’s a better question” He beamed at her “I, am Baekhyun” He laughed joyfully and basically danced around her. Miyung stared at him. Great. Just great. She was stuck with some loopy man who danced around her like a witch around a cauldron. Nope, she thought, this is not happening. Just then, she legged it towards the edges of the tent and scratched at the material. She pulled at it but it refused to move.

“Now, what exactly are you trying to do?” Miyung jumped as she heard his voice right next to her ear. She looked at Baekhyun and was shocked when she saw an expression of hurt across his face. She felt nearly sorry until she saw his grin reappear.

“I want to leave” Miyung cried. Honestly, what did he think she was doing? She sighed with frustration and looked up at him.

He laughed quietly again and said “Well maybe you should have thought of that before you entered this tent? Hmm, Miyung?” She gasped at him. H-how did he know….creepy man.

“What do you mean?” She spoke angrily. “How did I know I was going to get stuck with some creepy man?” This time he gasped.

Baekhyun held a hand to his chest and faked hurt and shock. “I am not creepy” he expressed. “You were caught as soon as you followed the lights” He was back to smiling again. As he watched her lights started to play around her again. Miyung exhaled and followed the lights with her eyes again. She looked around herself. The tent was still in shadows and the wind still fell coldly around her, but the lights climbed the sides of the tent, like the frost had outside.

Baekhyun smiled sweetly at her and moved his hand up towards her. He brushed it in the air and her hair swept out of her face. He chuckled as she blinked at him in shock.

“I’ll show you something.” He turned away and started walking. Miyung hesitated for a moment, then sighed and followed him. He stopped and faced her again “are you ready?”

Miyung frowned at him. They were stood in the middle of the tent. “What do you m-“ Suddenly she was thrown into a chaotic existence. Crimson fire reached out in front of her in shrieks and laughter of a burning man. He flickered around her like the flames themselves then crashed down around her with passion and Aurelian blazes. But then his being melted and the fire that had crept was now thick blood. Miyung looked up to see extensive structures of ice piercing through the air. A slim man swung from point to point with his hands as his own blood dripped down and froze to the edges. His dance was beautiful and tragic. Miyung reached out for him but soon as she did great beasts shattered through the crystals. They pounced around Miyung and she fell to the ground. Another wild man with bronzed skin rode on top of one. He crashed down above them all and growls whipped around Miyung. She cried out but they continued. A knife sliced through the air and caught the man in his chest. He fell in a burst of dust and ice which skid across the floor. The beasts vanished also but knives flew over Miyung’s head. Tears cascaded down her cheeks. Gloved hands brushed them away. They caught the knives as they turned into playing cards in his hands. His smile was gentle but was short lived as he howled into the air. Miyung couldn’t breathe. She sobbed into her hands. The show was not over yet. Another delicate man ran along a rope high above. His feet caught and he fell, but as he did he shifted. To Miyung’s horror he was no longer a man, but a bird with black stained feathers. It burst through the air as the fire caught its feathers and knife cut at it. The beasts were back and the ice spun into the sky. Miyung held her hands over her ears and cried but the sounds still severed into her.

And then it stopped. She gasped for air that was there when it wasn’t before. She opened her eyes and looked up. Everything was gone. The tent was empty. Miyung blinked a couple of times.

Baekhyun stood a few meters away, “Welcome to the Night Circus” he smiled.