CHAPTER 1: FIRST WINTER

My Ghost

[At 2Any1 Cafe]

 

"Ya! Dara!" Bom shouted.

 

"Ohh.. ohh...Ww-wae*??!!" 

 

"Yah.. Kwenchana*? What's going on huh?" She asked out of concern.

 

"Ahh.. Mian*.. Mian.. I'm fine.. I'm fine.." I answered and gave her an assuring smile.

 

---

 

Bom and I met back in middle school. We shared the same last name 'Park', (we're not related though) so we sat besides each other in class and back then we shared the same charecteristics.. both bubbly and talkative that we easily clicked. Since then we're inseparable. We gone to the same college (took different majors), lived together in a small apartment, and even took the same part time job (here in the cafe). Ok, so much for our friendship introduction 101.. Let's simply put it this way, Bom knew well coz we've been stuck together for too long.. and She somehow knew that when its winter, I suddenly became like this.. I started spacing out like my soul was travelling from the other dimension.. I feel a sudden emptiness.. like I was missing something.. I feel the urge of finding something or maybe someone.. Crazy and weird aren't we? 

 

But it has been like these, I don't know what exactly it is or understand what's going on with me.. 

 

And today is no exception for such craziness and weirdness.. 

 

because... 

 

winter is here...

 

"Arasso*!! you said so... But...! Will you please at least get a hold of yourself.. We still got plenty of things to do here..and you know how busy it will be, especially since its already winter.. (paused with her deep sigh) so please... please... Ani! get yourself ready! Ok?? Aja!!! Fighting!!!" She said with much enthusiasm and encouragement.. as if giving a speech after winning an award.

 

----- 

 

Like that, our day in the cafe has finally come to end.. 

 

"Uhmm..Dara-ya.... Do you have something to do tonight?" Bom asked suddenly, stopping what she was doing.

 

"Eobseo*..?" I answered, starting to feel uneasy.. seems like she was planning about something..

 

"Ahh really? Then..will you go with me in the night market?" She asked.. with those eyes like a puppy asking for a treat.

 

"Wae?? What are you going to do there?" I asked her back, trying to dig out some information which I can use to pass her invitation. After all the chaos and stress at cafe, shopping was never my option, what I really want is to go home and get some rest..

 

"Well.. its because I got a call from Unnie* last night, She told me that she has set me up on a blind date next week and... Dara.. you know how much I wanted to fall in love right?? I want to meet my own prince charming.. I wanna get married and have a happy family.. So I think this is my chance! I don't want to be forever alone.. So please.. please go with me and help with this one?? " She explained as if it was a life and death situation.

 

"ok.. ok.." I answered (lifeless and helplessly). 

 

I can't even say no after hearing  that long explanation of hers.. and besides, I do want this good natured friend of mine to live a happily ever after with her prince. (Yikes! too corny!)

 

"Assa*!! Let's finish this up!! palli* palli.." She said excitedly.

 

----

 

After 2 long hours of trying out almost all the dressess in every store at Hongdae, Bom has finally got her dress.

 

"Yey!! I finally got my precious dress!!! Thank you... Thank you so much Chingguya*..Your really the best!" She said so happily.

 

"Ahh Kore-yo*? Is this how you just going to repay my hard work and service?? A simple thank you and a little compliment?? Yah!! You should at least treat me to dinner." I said half joking 'coz I don't mind helping her at all and half truth 'coz I'm really starving..

 

"Arasso!! Arasso!!! Samgyeopsal sounds good right..." Bom suggested but I wasn't paying too much attention because I was suddenly caught up to this unique antique store in front of where we are standing.

 

---

 

[Antique Shop]

 

I don't know.. but the store kinda mysterious.. and a bit weird.. it was placed in between those popular brand botique that I thought maybe it's part of their marketing strategy or something.

 

Out of our curiosity we actually got in the store.. The store sells various of things.. some I can almost identify and some are well.. things I haven't seen before which probably you will never buy 'coz you won't get to use it in your entire life.

 

We were just starting to scan the store, when a Lady (who resembles to Lee Hyori-ssi*, more like a hippie Lee Hyori because of how she dressed) suddenly came out to this door which was covered by a glitterish curtain.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo* young ladies.. How can I help you?" She asked with a very friendly tone and a very bright smile.

 

"Ahh.. Ne*.. We.. we..were just looking around.. e-ehe.. e-he.." Bom muttered not really sure what to answer.

 

"Ahh.. Ok ..then.. feel free to look around our stuff." The lady said. 

 

Apart from her weird fashion sense the Lady seems to be nice and warm. She have this angelic face which really resembles to Lee Hyori-ssi back from her Fink.L era.

 

Bom and I started to try out somethings at the store, we tried out the old hats placed in this oak wood rack (those hats you get to see in a classic english dramas/movies).. then we played some of this ancient instrument which probably came from some lost tribes or something.

 

But what really caught our attention are those jewelries displayed on the counter.

 

"Woahh!! Yeppuda*!!!" Bom said mesmerized with the fine jewelries.

 

"Would you like try one?" The lady asked, then took out this simple yet very elegant ruby earrings handing it over to Bom.

 

"How abou you young lady?" Asking me to try out the necklace she took out from the display.

 

Both of us tried out the jewelries the lady had picked..

 

We were excited and happy...then complimented each other and even made poses while wearing it. It was fun.

 

Minutes had passed and we are out of the store.. both decided to finally have dinner..

 

We were really hungry, after all that we had been doing so far..

 

"Yah! I'm really hungry now.." I said.

 

"Yah.. me too! Kaja*!" Bom said almost dragging me towards the direction of the Samgyeopsal restaurant.

 

----

 

[Samgyeopsal Restaurant]

 

"Komawo*!" I said as we settled ourselves to the table.. (Dinner at last!!!)

 

"Yah! You should wear it all the time huh.. and I'll kill you if you lose it! Arachi!? " Bom said half threatening and half joking.

 

"Arasso! Arasso!" I said, giving her an assurance to take good care of the necklace.

 

---(Flash Back)

 

"Unnie, I'm going to buy this." Bom told the Lady.

 

"Ahh really? We are having our store opening promo so I'll give that necklace for free then.." The lady said, making Bom more excited and happy as ever.

 

So Bom bought the earrings then gave me the free necklace.

 

                         ---(End of Flash back) 

 

We started eating as soon our food was cooked.. We talked and made joked as we recall our memories together.. 

 

Tonight was really fun..

 

I looked out the window and saw the first snow as it gently falls from the sky...

 

Bom just kept talking.. (She really is very talkative)

 

I was spacing out again, I was dazed...

 

Then...

 

"HHUUUAAAHHHH!!! KkAMJJAKiya*!!" I shouted as I backed away from the glass window, startling everyone in the restaurant (Great! Just great!).

 

Bom who almost spit on my face because of surprise, drank a glass full of water before saying...

 

"Y..yahh!!!! Wae geure*?!!" 

 

I don't know how to explain it, I, too was too surprised..

 

I was looking out the window watching the snow when this guy all of a sudden, popped out..

 

Seriously!!! Who will do that?? The glass window wasn't tinted at all, you can see inside and out! Then this guy who doesn't even look like a beggar or something.. nor look like a psycho, made such crazy joke!!

 

Woahh! What a scary world we are living in? Maybe looks really can be so deceiving.

 

"Jesonghamnida*.. Jesonghamnida.." I said to everyone when I regained my composure then bowed down to every direction.

 

I sat again on my chair and whispered to Bom..

 

"Yah.... You didn't get to see it... There's a guy who suddenly popped out right in my face just moments ago.. there.." As I point my finger towards the glass window without looking.. afraid that I might got surprised again if the weirdo suddenly pops out and I'm already too embarass to cause another scene.

 

Bom looked and saw nothing, before turning to me..

 

"O..M..G... (gasp) Your crazy...." she whispered back, then giggled making fun of me.

 

What?! She didn't see it?? I began to wonder.. Probably 'coz it happened so fast and to think, Bom was too busy talking to even pay attention in her surrounding..

 

"Ne... Majayo*! I'm crazy.. gone crazy because of embarassment.." I told her with a little bit of sarcasm.

 

After all the shopping and that unforgettable dinner, at long last we decided to head back home.

 

----

 

[Dara's Room]

 

After washing up, I sat in front of my vanity mirror when I began to think back what happened in the resto with that weirdo..

 

"Ahh! Chincha*!? Why does he suddenly popped out like that?! He really scared the hell out me.." I muttered to myself.. trying to comprehend the absurdness that had happened.

 

"I hope I won't get to see him.. ever! or else.. I'm really going to punch him in the face!" I said irritably.

 

Following all those fretting.. I finally settled myself in bed, turned off the bedside lamp, then snuggled TamTam (a stuff toy) as I dozed off to dream land.

 

---

 

The night gets deeper... and little that I know.. there's someone watching over my peaceful sleep.

 

"Yah.. I knew it! She saw me back in that restaurant..woaahh.. daebak*.. How could even this happened?" He muttered as he smile over the unexpected turn of event.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

[Writer's Note]

 

Hi everyone! Maybe some of you already know, while some of you probably don't and wonder why I kept putting * to some of the words that I used in my story.. those are well.. KOREAN (romanized) words which I got to learn from watching Korean dramas and variety shows (PLEASE, DON'T GET ME WRONG, I DON'T SPEAK NOR CAN FULLY UNDERSTAND KOREAN LANGUAGE. Hahaha!). And so, I decided to mark those words and tried to give the english meanings for each.

 

So here it is..

 

(Note: some meanings can be express in a different way/ depending on how you will use them in a sentence or how the words varies from the situation)

 

*Wae - Why

 

*Kwenchana - Are you ok/Are you alright 

 

*Mian - Sorry

 

*Arasso - Alright/I get it/Fine

 

*Ani - No

 

*Aja! Fighting! - words used for encouragement

 

*Eobseo- nothing/none

 

*Unnie - address you use to call and older sister or lady (used by girls)

 

*Assa - an expression used when you fulfill something or you got something good

 

*Palli - faster

 

*Chingguya - Friend

 

*Koreyo - that's right/ is it right

 

*Annyeonghaseyo - Hello/Hi

 

*Ne - Yes

 

*-ssi - its like you are addressing someone like Ms., instead you put this in the end of their name

 

*Yeppuda - Beautiful/Pretty

 

*Kaja - Let's go

 

*Samgyeopsal - grilled pork

 

*Komawo - Thanks/Thank you

 

*Arachi - Got it

 

*Jjang - the best

 

*Kkamjjakiya - an expression out of surprise

 

*Wae geure - Why are you like this/that

 

*Jesonghamnida - Sorry (in a more polite manner)

 

*Majayo- Your right

 

*Chincha- Really

 

*Noona- an address you use for older sister or lady (for boys)

 

*Daebak - awesome

 

That's it guys! 

 

KAMSAHAMNIDA*! (THANK YOU!)