Final

Wondering

"I read the short story you wrote on the papers yesterday."

 

"Really," Seungri twirled his pen and nervously looked at Jiyong, the main character in every story he wrote. "What do you think about it?"

 

"It's great," Jiyong shrugged, waving to the waiter and smiled at Seungri. "The main character was brilliant."

 

Seungri gulped nervously, his cheeks flushed and looked down to his notebook again. "That's good to know."

 

"Yeah," Jiyong flipped the menu carelessly, folding the paper and Seungri stared. "It's like reading myself, if I'm allowed to say."

 

Seungri looked away, and felt tremendously relieved that the waiter was here. "One vanilla latte, please."

 

"Make it two."

 

The waiter nodded and walked away, leaving the two of them in awkward silence, and it was oddly deafening. Seungri decided to talk again.

 

"Well the main character was based on a real life person."

 

Jiyong raised his eyebrows, and there was a hinted smile on the side of his lips. "Who's it," he asked. "Is it someone I know?"

 

"Yes," Seungri said, "no. I don't know."

 

"Whoever it is," Jiyong said. "They're lucky."

 

Seungri bit his lip, slightly fidgeting on his seat. "Maybe. I hope so."

 

"Of course they are," Jiyong laughed quietly, and he deeply stared at Seungri, breathing in the same air as he leaned closer. "You're a great writer, after all. Whoever's written by you will be deeply honored."

 

"T-thanks," Seungri's voice cracked, feeling a bit breathless from the closeness between Jiyong and him. "I'm glad you liked it."

 

Jiyong nodded and leaned back, giving space for Seungri to breathe--Seungri felt relieved and disappointed at the same time.

 

"Have you ever wrote about me? Or will you?"

 

"W-why do you want to know if I have," Seungri gulped and his face felt warm. "Or if I will, for that matter."

 

"It's just," Jiyong shrugged. "Sometimes I feel that...you're writing about me. So I wondered."

 

"So what if I have," Seungri asked, guarded. "It's not like--"

 

Jiyong chuckled. "So you have."

 

Seungri looked away and bit his lip, feeling stupid to get worked up for nothing. "You want to laugh at me now?"

 

"God no," Jiyong took Seungri's hands into his and smiled sincerely for the first time. "Like I said, whoever's written by you is lucky."

 

"That's all?"

 

Jiyong shook his head and brought Seungri's hands close to his lips, kissing the knuckles gently--Seungri's breath hitched.

 

"I'm happy you wrote about me," he said softly. "Even more than happy. I can't explain it with words...I'm not fluent like you, okay. I'm a simple worded man it's frustrating sometimes. But I'm happy."

 

Seungri swallowed the lump in his throat and smiled although his lips wavered. "Happy is good enough. In fact, it's the best word I've heard today."

 

"good," Jiyong said, smiling. "I'm happy, Seungri."