The checkup and invitation

Rebellion of the Cats

Breakfast was in merry progression when Victoria suddenly remembered the call this morning. 

"Hey! I just remembered that the Sanctuary just called this morning. It's time for the check up so clear your schedule on next Tuesday!" 

While both Amber and Luna just nodded their head in acknowledgement, Krystal and Sulli can't hide the excited but unsure expressions on their faces. 

"What do we have to do?" Sulli wondered out loud. 

"Nothing really..." Amber commented offhandedly, "Just follow whatever they say." To the older cats, meeting with the Sanctuary was not a big deal. Having lived along side humans for a long period of time, the checkups at the Sanctuary was just another routine. On the other hand, this was the first visit to the Sanctuary for the kittens. 
"She means what will they make us do?" Krystal was trying to look as if she's not interested but one could clearly see that she's eager to know too. 

“They just have you all use your element. Basically, they just need to record your abilities and cast a spell on us to make us look more like humans,” Luna took the lead and explained to the kittens.

"More human? What's wrong with how we look?" Sulli looked confused as she asked. Amber was moodily focused on her breakfast and refused to answer the question. Luna, on the other hand, opened to try and explain but chose to keep quiet in the end. The atmosphere at the dinning table was suddenly put on a damper. 

Victoria quickly took the signal and answered swiftly, "You kittens don't have anything to worry about. They will tell you what to do when you get there." Krystal looked suspiciously at Amber almost as if she knew something was wrong.

Steering the conversation in a safer direction, Victoria directed a question to Amber. "What's about the letter though? The Sapphire house's emblem was on it." 

The question seemed to have successfully snap Amber out of the quiet demeanor. 

"Eh? Oh the letter." She said slowly, most as if she just woke up. A smile spread across her face as she slowly opened the letter. With a full grin on her face, she presented tickets of some sort. "I happened to pass by the Sapphire house last night. And... This is the tickets to the Moonbane Solstice." 

With that the previous uneasiness in the room was lifted, replaced in it's place was a grumbling excitement. The Moonbane Solstice is a special event that is celebrated every 4 years. Traditionally, it was meant to be a night of celebrations and offering to Gaia who made and blessed each fey with their abilities and form. But as time passed, it had turned into a night of pure party and celebration. Each of the major families would take turns to organize the party and this year was the Sapphire house's turn. 

"Omg! Finally! It's Moonbane Solstice~" Victoria cheered. Even the youngest in the family understood immediately that it's was a great occasion and time for dressing up. 

"Is there enough time for me to get a new dress? I really want a new one! Pretty please?" Krystal pleaded with her doe eyes. 

Suddenly, Luna snatched the tickets from amber's hands. Counting the tickets, Luna confirmed her observation. "Unnie! Why is there only 4 tickets!?" Luna stared at Amber accusingly. This cause a uproar at the table. A mixed of "What!?" and "One of us can't go?!" was heard at the table. 

Amber looked embarrassed as she admitted, "Ah... I'm not going." All four pair of eyes turned and stared her down. This made Amber even more uncomfortable. "I..it's not like I'm suited for parties and dresses!" She stuttered as she tried to defend herself. The facial expressions from everyone told her that they are not convinced.

Her eyes darted to the clock hanging on the wall. "It's 8! Time to open the cafe!" She tried to transfer the attention somewhere else. 

This time it worked. Everyone finally noticed the time and quickly moved to prepare for the opening of the cafe. Sulli and Krystal took care of the dishes while Luna was making her way out of the house. Victoria was at the heels of Luna. Before her frame disappeared from behind the door, she turned gave Amber a look. “I’ll do something about the tickets, Amber. You are coming with us.”

Amber took the chance to escape up stairs using the excuse to that she has to go prepare for the cafe opening. After the door to her room was tightly closed, Amber finally allowed herself to loosen up. Her shoulders sagged with fatigue. This is her family. She would never want them to worry about her past if she could help it. Lying on her bed, her fingers searched out a panel in her bedside dresser. A secret compartment opened up revealing odd pieces of crystals. Choosing a piece that is as long as her finger, she grabbed it with both hands. Place it in front of her chest, her eyes closing, she began to sing.

It was a habit from long time ago when she was still a stray with no home to stay in. Whenever she felt upset or uneasy, the songs helped her. The habit started because of the piece of crystal that she was born with. It was almost as if the crystals absorbed all her negative emotions. 

All feys are born without a family. If you are lucky, you might be born under the watch of a certain house. For example the Sapphire house, adopts all elemental vampires. Otherwise, fey will travel around to find a place that they belong to. The Sanctuary doesn't understand this fact and are very harsh on fey without a family. Before Amber got her family, she had spent her time running away and hiding. It was natural that negative emotion will accumulate. 

"This song..." Sulli tilt her head and listened hard. With their enhanced hearing, they could hear Amber's song.

"Amber's singing again." Krystal frowned as finished her dishes, "Is it just me or there is something else that the rest are not telling us?"

Sulli mumbled, "Amber unnie... She's hurting." This made Krystal turn and staring at Sulli, demanding for an explanation.

"Her song... I see..." Before Sulli could explain anything, she began to look really pale. Her eyes were unfocused and seemed to be looking at some place faraway. Sulli was slightly suspended in the air. Krystal was in shock as she watched Sulli being trapped in a trance.

It was as if she was held back by a mysterious force that prevented her from approaching Sulli. Krystal could only watch helplessly. Just as sudden as the trance was triggered, Sulli suddenly collapsed on the floor and Krystal was suddenly able to move again.

She rushed to Sulli's side. Sulli's breath was shallow and fast, her lips mumbling words that Krystal couldn't catch. 

Krystal's mind was blank. Her element was fire and obvious it is of no help here. She had no idea what to do in this situation and so she did the only thing that she could do. She screamed for Amber.