▌│█║▌║▌║ ¢нαρтєя 6 ║▌║▌║█│▌

If You Love Something, Let It Go

Kris types a single message and sends it to both Chanyeol and Kai. It simply reads that they have an off day. The café will be closed because there are a few things that Kris wants to do. Side tracking a bit, Kris is an honest person. His life is strictly based on principles and values. He is not greedy, neither is he selfish. He speaks the truth and the truth only, but after finding out that Tao is a criminal on the run, a low sinking feeling stays in his heart. He is not going to report Tao to the authorities for the sake of friendship. And that is already lying. But, Tao, too wants a simple and fair life. Why spend half his young adult life in jail when he can be out and about doing much more things? That judgment, determining if Tao should have a fair life or not, cannot be made by a court. It has to be made by a person who knows nothing about his background. And it has been made. By Kris, a café owner. Age 28 and living alone in the bustling capital of South Korea, Seoul.

"Let's go to the Han River. You have nothing on today, right?" Kris asks. Tao replies negative and Kris nods as a reply.

They both change into warm winter clothes and Tao adds gloves to protect his hands. Kris drives them both in his Volvo to the Han River. It is a more secluded area, not where most tourists will be. Just the two of them to spend time together. Kris has something planned, since this is one of the times he can spend time with Tao. Over the weeks, Kris felt as if something about Tao just captivated him and he always felt jittery around Tao. The only thing that he is lucky to have — the ability to conceal his emotions, has helped him greatly to get through this without melting into a puddle in front of the latter.

Kris entwines his fingers in Tao's and they walk right down to the bank of the river, swinging their interlocked hands back and forth. Kris lets go of Tao's hand and picks up a medium sized stone and flings it into the river, as if the stone is the ball in shotputt. Ripples are created, growing bigger until it dies away at the bank, where Tao and Kris are standing.

"You need to at least have the strength of that ripple to be able to survive in his world, you know," Kris says.

Tao smiles as a reply and carefully steps down to where Kris is. The water occasionally washes up to their feet and watching it is relaxing.

"We should hurry meet your parents. Finish this deal and be friends. Like we have always wanted," Tao says.

Kris objects. "Don't. I don't want to finish this deal quickly. I want it to last forever. All these weeks I have been with you, it's already enough to clarify that I feel different. Up and downs we went through together and the outcome is always good. Every time I hold your hand for show, every time I hug you, I feel a fluttering feeling inside of me. It's special because it comes from you and so far, it's only you that has implemented such a feeling in me. I've been keeping this clandestine to myself because I didn't know how I could bring it up to you."

Tao squeezes Kris' hand. "I know. I feel it too," he replies simply.

They share a short but lingering kiss. Short, sweet, passionate and full of love. They had been "dating" for a few weeks but this is the real thing. The real deal. They just shared their first kiss as a couple and are officially boyfriends now. Tao just happens to remember a snippet of their conversation from the day before. This is ultimately the wrong time to fall in love with someone who is going to help you escape your criminal life.

"Are you trying to help me by murdering me?" Tao frowns.

"I am helping you but I am not going to murder you. I'm just gonna do one simple thing," Kris replies. "An accident. A car accident."

"Kris, are you really going to do it?" Tao asks.

"Do what?" Kris asks, clueless about what Tao is talking about.

"The accident," Tao states.

"Yes," Kris replies, as if involving himself in an accident is nothing but a deed to be fulfilled.

"Don't do it, please. Take it as I changed my mind. It is not worth it, really. I should just turn myself in and take this whole burden off you. I don't even know why I got you involved in my messed up life. But seriously, think about it," Tao says.

"It's for the best, Tao. Don't question me about my doings because I know what I am doing," Kris replies nonchalantly. "Let's go. There is somewhere else we need to go to."


This 'somewhere else' that Kris mentioned about at the Han River is a beach on the outskirts of Seoul. It is much warmer that in the city, the bright sun making the cold winter a neutral cold-warm weather.

"Do you like it?" Kris asks. They interlock their hands once more and walk down the beach, barefooted. The water washes up on their feet and the tide gets pulled back. This cycle continues and they just stop at one corner to watch the warm sun in the horizon.

Before Tao knows it, Kris pulls him into the water and splashes him with the cool sea water. They start to spray water at each other like little kids in a bath tub. Except, that this "bath tub" is also known as the South China Sea and it is really big. Laughing away like maniacs, splashing sea water everywhere, it's a cute couple thing. Kris takes Tao's hand and pulls the latter closer to him. Their shirts cling to their bodies, water sogged and through the thin fabric, they can feel each other's warmth. Their hearts beating in full synchronization and the warm smiles they give to each other. They are truly in love with each other, but took so long to realize it. Kris presses his lips to Tao's gently, in a lingering kiss, though not lasting for more than five seconds. Tao kisses back, tasting the sea salt from Kris' lips. After that, he pulls away and smiles up at the older male. They both turn to watch the bright red fire ball setting in the horizon, slowly until the sky is painted a light orange. They share one more chaste kiss before taking each other's hands and leaving the beach. The accident is long forgotten about as they enjoy their impromptu beach date. But there is only so much time your memory will leave you before it returns like a thousand tonne metal ball flying in the direction of your face. They call it the harsh reality of life for a reason.


Tao and Kris are back at Kris' apartment and once they have cleaned up and showered separately, Tao takes a seat at the sofa in the hall, with Kris next to him, the older's arm s around his waist.

"Please just listen to what I have to say this time. I love you, you know that, Kris-ge? That's why I am asking you to reconsider. If I can be on the run for this long, I'm sure I can survive out there without your help," Tao tries.

"Didn't I tell you to drop the matter? I believe I also told you that I do know well what I am doing. One of the seats does not have an air bag, so one of us will die. Depending on the impact," Kris replies simply. Doesn't he realize that this is a suicide mission? Why is he speaking as if he'll be a hundred percent fine after this accident? Tao begins to cry, a glassy tear esaping each eye one at a time. Doesn't Kris care at all?

"If you don't know who is going to die, how are you sure that I am the one who is going to die?" Tao sniffs, leaning onto Kris' shoulder.

Kris does not move one inch. "The last time I checked, it is the passenger seat that does not have the air bag."

"You know what? Screw the air bag. You can still die, even if the air bag is there or not. Once you die, this will be a suicide mission. Why waste your life on a useless criminal who can't even save his own ?" Tao says. "Why am I making a big fuss out of this? Because I love you!"

"I'm not wasting my life on anything, Tao. I have a heart problem. And with it, there are many things I cannot do. Do you call that purposeful living now? Don't mistake me for doing this for your sake because I am not. I have my own personal reasons why I am doing this, why I offered to do this. Please, just bear with me for now," Kris says, almost pleading. Phlegm chokes his throat, making him sound like he too is crying.


Red is the colour for revenge, the Chinese believe. Well if you are going to die. So both Tao and Kris avoid that colour, because this has nothing to do with revenge. They wear blue and black since it is a much more peaceful match.

"Are you ready?" Kris asks.

Tao nods unwillingly. Kris will not listen to him anyway. He mutters one last prayer, whilst holding onto his crucifix, probably asking his god above to salvage his sorry if he ever dies.

"Let's go," Kris says. He takes Tao's hand and brings him down to the carpark of the apartment complex. The Volvo is parked there but Kris walks right past it to a more funny looking car. It looks ridiculous because of its poor maintenance but overall, the Audi S5 Quattro would have looked great if Kris had taken care of it properly.

Kris places one last kiss on Tao's lips. "We're lucky if we survive."

"Oh, and, my registered name is Edison Huang. Try to find me," Tao says.


They go according to their plan and the outcome is as they hoped. Both survived although the injuries are fatal. Kris escapes only with a fractured arm because the air bag had done it's job well. Tao could have died but survived nonetheless, because he is strong. Tao severly fractured both his right arm and leg, suffered multiple gashes to his forehead and a glass shard buried three quarters deep in the side of his stomach. Tao did pass out at the scene and has not woken up since. Kris' injuries are not as fatal as Tao's so the hospital staff let him go once they had fixed his arm in a cast. The only thing on Kris' mind is Tao. He walks to the reception.

"Can I please know where Edison Huang is?" He asks the nurse at the counter.

The nurse shakes her head. "We do not have any patient with that name, sir. I'm sorry."

What? Did Tao die?

"Anyone with the surname Huang. Just help me, I need to find him," Kris asks once more.

"Hold on," the nurse keys in the said surname into the patient search and scrolls through the list. After that, she looks up at Kris.

"Huang Zitao?" She asks, since it is the first male patient that she finds.

"Yes, that's him. Where is he?" Kris asks. He wonders why the hell Tao gave his real name. It would only lead the police to him.

"Um, sir, I'm not sure if you can visit him. He's under arrest," the nurse says.

"Just tell me what room he is in," Kris says.

"He is in the Accident and Emergency Deparment. Follow the red line it will get you there and go to room 296," the nurse reads off of her screen.

"Thank you," Kris bows slightly and rushes off.


Kris enters the private room and there is Tao, unconscious on the bed. There is a Korean as well as Chinese police inspectors in the room but they do not notice Kris until he shuts the door.

"Who are you?" One of them asks.

"I'm his... fiancé," Kris replies unsurely, remembering that they both still wore the fake rings on their left ring fingers.

"Did you know of his criminal background?" The Korean inspector asks.

"No, I just found out from the nurse just now. But I only know a bit," Kris half lies.

"Just know that he will be in jail once he is discharged from the hospital," the Korean Inspector says.

"But he didn't do anything wrong. He told me that you guys wouldn't believe that he is innocent. And that those people in his ex gang are trying to frame him," Kris interrupts.

"And you just believe him?" The Korean Inspector raises a brow.

"Yes. Why don't you take a look at his criminal records? It's bare, it's empty, it's clean. What do you have against him except a bunch of lies?" Kris challenges.

"Don't poke your nose into our business. We'll do what we have to do," the inspector states firmly.

"Oh? Like put him in jail for nothing?" Kris tries.

"Shut up," the inspector replies. "Unless you want to get arrested as well."

"Stop it, both of you," the Chinese inspector says in his mother language, separating both Kris and the Korean inspector. Kris understands the Chinese inspector perfectly well and glares daggers at the Korean one.

"He's right, this guy's innocent. I looked at the record back in China and there is really nothing on it. He just needs to pay a fine for evading us," the Chinese inspector explains to the Korean one.

Meanwhile, Kris crouches down by Tao's bed, the latter's hair. All he hopes for is for Tao to wake up as soon as possible.


[Present]

Kris remembers everything well. The impact, the argument and most of all, the pain. Tao wakes up after the recent warfarin dosage and looks at Kris. His grey eyes are pale like they always are now. He sits up slowly.

"I feel no pain. Whatever they did, I'm happy they did it. They have reduced my suffering," Tao comments.

"Yeah. They are starting the two weeks again from today. They just want to know if you are really okay and able to live outside this room," Kris says and Tao nods. He takes Kris' hand and gives it a light squeeze.

"I feel like walking today. Bring me to the garden please," Tao asks and Kris obliges. He takes the bottle collecting excess blood from Tao's wound from the surgery the day before from under the bed. Then he instructs for Tao to breathe slowly and not too quickly. While Tao does as he is told, Kris unhooks the tube to the main oxygen tank and hooks it onto a much smaller and portable one. All these were patiently taught to Kris by Sehun in case Tao wanted to move and there were no doctors or nurses around to help with his equipment. Tao inhales the oxygen once Kris is done and smiles at Kris.

"Let's go," he says, sliding out of his bed and taking Kris' hand.

At the garden, they talk to each other, remembering old times, past dates they had been on. Once the fourteen days of observation for Tao is over, life will return to normal for both of them. They can go on more dates, maybe even settle down. But don't hope too much because life does not like to oblige to a person's wish. Instead it gives you the opposite and you just have to find a way to accept it.

Tao enjoys the man made nature, watching the bees pollinate the pretty flowers and the butterfly extract nectar from the flowers.

It's a beautiful sight, after months of scalpels, drugs, needles and white walls. Tao smiles and walks on, Kris following behind, with all the equipment packed in a bag.

But sadly, their garden trip is over in less than thirty minutes because of the doctor's call.


The two weeks fly by quickly and surprisingly Tao suffers no casualties. The devices are working fine and making Tao's life much easier like they are supposed to. Sehun is surprised at this sudden change and Luhan is too. Tao changes back into his normal clothing, folding the hospital gown and placing it on the table. Luhan comes in with a clipboard and Tao catches a glimpse of what is on the form. Jae Woo University Hospital Discharge Form. Kris takes the board and signs on the guardian's signature line, in between the doctor's and patient's signature lines. 

"If you happen to feel any extreme chest pains, sudden fatigue, dizziness, any strange symptoms, come back immediately. Mention my name at the counter and you will be warded immediately," Luhan tells Tao and then hands him the board to sign the confirmation of his discharge. 

"You're good to go," Luhan smiles. Then he turns to Kris. "How's your heart? It has been three years since I put the substitute."

"Good. No complications as of yet," Kris replies. "I'll vote you for best doctor."

Luhan smiles. "No need."


Tao and Kris take their leave, the hospital getting smaller behind them. Tao slouches in the wheelchair, his duffel bag on his lap, as well as a pair or crutches. They get to Kris' Volvo and Kris folds the wheelchair and keeps it in the boot. He helps Tao into the front seat and drives off.

He does not tell Tao where they are going and it has been so long since they were able to go out together like this. Kris parks his car in an open space and helps Tao out. Ah, a traditional Korean style restaurant in the countryside. They get a table, Tao sitting down cross legged slowly and Kris after him. They are served food quickly since the menu is standard and they tuck into their meals heartily.

"Do you like it?" Kris asks.

"Yes," Tao replies. "Thank you for this meal."

"Is that all?" Kris smirks at Tao who smiles back.

"I love you," Tao says, then slurps up his black bean noodles.


A/N: This is chapter 6 so far and things are going as i planned. just that the descriptive stuff have problems. maybe i just cant leave my eyes, nose, ears, tongue and skin in Kris and Tao's world. Lol. Lame jokes guys. ANyways, hope you guise like it. REMEMBER TO COMMENT AND UPVOTE FOR KARMA! :D

saranghae my lovelies ♥