A Surprise

A Surprise

 

It was a cool morning in the Moon residence, the birds were chirping and the fog has just settled from the mountains. Mr. Moon was contently reading the day's newspaper in their living room while Mrs. Moon was preparing breakfast with her house helpers. The silence in the house was disrupted when they heard their door bell.

"Let me get it!" Mr. Moon said. He opened the gate, and to his surprise it was Corporal Song Joong Ki.

He was wearing a military green jacket and a black shirt underneath it, with a matching pair of jeans. He had a warm smile on his face as he held out a lunch box on his hand.

"Good morning Mr. Moon" Joong Ki bowed and greeted him with a smile.

"Oh, Joong Ki glad to see you. We didn't know that you're on your vacation." the old man greeted back.

"Yes, was given a five-day vacation, and I just arrived in Seoul last night", the young man said.

"Chae Won will be very happy to see you. Good thing she doesn't have any filming schedule today"

"I actually asked her schedule first from her manager before going here." he shyly smiled.

"Well come on in, son! We have a lot to catch up" Mr. Moon placed his arm around Joong Ki and went inside the house.

The two men entered the house, and they were welcomed by Mrs. Moon who just elated from the kitchen "Yeobo, who is it?" and she was stunned to see Joong Ki in the house.

"How are you doing Mrs. Moon? It's been a long time since we last saw each other" Joong Ki bowed to the couple.

"I brought Chae Won's favorite, beef bulgogi. My mother prepared it for her"

"Oh that's so nice of you Joong Ki. Please extend our gratitude to your mother" Mrs. Moon glady took the lunch box from Joong Ki.

"Come sit here with me for a while Joong Ki, Chae Won should be awake anytime now" The two men sat on the couch while the house helper served them coffee.

---

Chae Won opened her eyes to the sunlight which beemed through her window. She sat on her bed, yawned and stretched.

"What a beautiful morning!" she smiled and she looked to the lamp stand on her right where a picture of her and Joong Ki was placed. It was taken during their first official date as a couple.

Her smile widened as she took the picture in her hands, "Good morning Joong Ki! I hope you're awake and well now." she kissed and hugged the picture imagining that it's the real Joong Ki she was really touching. Little did she know that she was in for a big surprise.

She fixed her bed and went to the bathroom to prepare for her day. Chae Won wore a casual grey tee and printed tights since she doesn't plan on going out today

As she wore her last piece of accessory, she noticed faint noises from their living room.

"Oppa must have an early guest" she thought.

She threaded down the stairs and stopped on her tracks when she heard a familiar laughter. Her heart thumped faster as she slowly made her last steps on the stairs. Chae Won peaked through the frame of their living room to see a man sitting with his back facing her. His hair was cleanly cut and his lean shoulders were shrugging from laughter.

"Oh Chae Won finally you're awake!" Mr. Moon noticed Chae Won, and as if slowly, the man turned his head to face Chae Won. She could not believe her eyes, it was her beloved boyfriend, Song Joong Ki.

Joong Ki stood up and flashed a wide smile which he only reserved for Chae Won.

"Annyeong, Chae Won. Did you sleep well?" Joong Ki greeted her, and in a swift Chae Won was already clinging onto him.

Joong Ki wrapped his arms around her petite frame and buried his face in her hair. They remained like this for several minutes.

"Oppa, is it really you? I'm not dreaming am I?" Chae Won softly spoke against his ear. Joong Ki tightened his arms around Chae Won and inhaled her fresh scent, "I should ask you the same thing Chae Won".

Mr. and Mrs. Moon were very happy seeing the couple reunite after several months of separation.

Chae Won lifted her face to see Joong Ki, and brushed her hand against his cheek "You're really here". Joong Ki nodded.

Chae Won traced his cheek with her thumb until it reached his lower lip, she leaned in closer as if missing the feel of his lips on hers. They were about to kiss when Mr. Moon cleared his throat.

"Well now kids, we know that you missed each other very much. But please reserve that for later." he reprimanded the two.

The couple's faces turned crimson red from embarrassment.

"Appa!" Chae Won burried her face on Joong Ki's chest.

The older couple laughed at their child's reaction. "Chae Won, Joong Ki here brought your favorite Beef Bulgogi. We should eat it while it's hot" Mrs. Moon said while hiding her smile.

"You did?" Chae Won's face lit up and turned to Joong Ki.

"Yes, my mother prepared it especially for you" Joong Ki answered with a smile.

"Aigoo, remind me to thank her for this. Kaja let's eat!" she tugged Joong Ki, and with their arms intertwined they went to the family dining area.

Breakfast in the Moon residence was filled with laughter as Joong Ki shared his funny experiences in the army. Chae Won was enthusiastically responding to her boyfriend's every story as she also served Joong Ki by placing food on his bowl and juice in his glass.

"Just so you know, Chae Won here was very worried when she learned about the shooting incident in your camp. We cannot even talk to her properly!" Mr. Moon exclaimed.

"Yeobo, Chae Won's reaction was just normal for a girlfriend. We're just very thankful that Joong Ki is safe" Mrs. Moon calmy explained.

"Thank you very much for your concern, we really had a tough time with that incident" Joong Ki continued on to talk about the details his experience from the shooting incident until the capture. All the while Chae Won's eyes were glued on him that she didn't even bother touch her food.

"And since I was promoted to Corporal, they allowed me to take a vacation. So here I am now"

"Woah! I'm so proud of you oppa! Appa, eomma, look I chose the right man!" Chae Won said with so much pride.

"You're right Chae Won, but we just don't know if Joong Ki chose the right woman for her" Mr. Moon teased his daughter which made her pout, and once again the air was filled with laughter.

After breakfast, the young couple went to the porch and laid on the swing, their bodies positioned in a half embrace. Chae Won's head was resting on Joong Ki's arm, while her arms drapped over his waist. They were at first silent while playing with each other's hands.

"I don't know what I will do if I lost you to that incident, oppa" Chae Won broke the silence. Joong Ki sighed feeling the pain in her words.

"We can't avoid such dangers Chae Won, I'm in the army and it's part of our task to keep the safety in our area, more so in our country. Please don't dwell much on it, the more important thing is I'm here with you now."

"I can't help it. Ever since that incident, I kept thinking if you're safe. How come you still have a year to serve?"

Joong Ki lifted Chae Won's chin to face him, "Look at me Chae Won, I kept my promise, I'm safe and well. You don't have to worry about a thing."

They were gazing at each other's eyes as if trying to read what the other was thinking.

Joong Ki's eyes lowered down and his hand gently lifted the necklace that Chae Won was wearing.

"You still keep this huh?" he said with a grin creeping on his lips.

"Of course, it reminds me that you are mine and will be forever" Chae Won placed her hand over Joong Ki's.

The necklace had a ring attached to it. It was actually a gift from Joong Ki before he left for the army.

"It reminds me that after you are discharged from the army, you will take care of me for all the days of our lives" Chae Won softly said.

Joong Ki turned his eyes to Chae Won once again, "I can't wait until the day that I will place this ring on your finger, and be your husband, Moon Chae Won" and finally he leaned in to capture her lips in a long awaited kiss.

They both savoured the kiss which they missed for months. Joong Ki held her jaw, while Chae Won placed her hands on his chest to feel his fast heartbeat. They reluctantly parted for air, and when they opened their eyes, they saw how flushed their faces were.

"You just don't know how much I missed kissing you" Joong Ki smirked

"Likewise Joong Ki. Only you can make my heart beat this fast."

"Ya, when did you become so cheesy?" Joong Ki teased

"Well, that's what you get from reading too much drama scripts!" Chae Won teased back

"Wow, you're workaholic as ever huh?" Joong Ki raised his brow at her

"Well, if someone did not show up in my house today then I would be studying my lines for my new movie with Seung Gi " she returned the playful gaze at him

"Omo! And that someone turns out to be your handsome corporal boyfriend whom you haven’t seen in months."

"Well, not that I am complaining. Ya, why don't you help me practice my lines? Like the old days?" Chae Won stood from their reclining position. And before Joong Ki could answer Chae Won already ran to her room to retrieve her script

Moments later the couple were silently reading the script while Chae Won was resting her head on Joong Ki’s lap. Joong Ki was flipping the pages over and over as if in search of something. Chae Won noticed this and dropped her script, "Oppa, what are you doing?"

"I'm just checking how many kissing scenes you have in this movie" he flatly answered with eyes still on the script. Chae Won giggled seeing how protective her boyfriend is. "Jealous eh? Maybe you have forgotten that your girlfriend is an actress and whatever I do on screen is only for work"

Joong Ki's brows furrowed in dismay. "How about the kisses we shared during Nice Guy? Don't tell me you didn't feel anything."

Chae Won understood Joong Ki's point. She might have initially felt nothing during their first encounters on the set of Nice Guy. But he slowly crept up to her, and every kiss seemed to mean something more than work.

God knows how much she tried to ignore the special feelings that were building up in her, but Joong Ki was too persistent. And on the night that she finally admitted her love for him was one of the best decisions she made in her life.

"You know it was different with you, with us. Don't be mad okay?" Chae Won kissed him on the cheek, and immediately Joong Ki's mood was back to normal. The morning went by blissfully for the couple until Mrs. Moon called them for lunch.

"Thank you for the sumptuous meal once again Mrs. Moon. I will definitely miss this when I return to the army"

"Oh you're very welcome Joong Ki. Don't worry I will teach Chae Won how to cook these meals for you"

The couple felt relief knowing that Chae Won's parents are very open to their relationship and their possible future together.

"Thank you Mrs. Moon, I will forever be grateful to you if Chae Won will be able to copy your dishes." Joong Ki softly laughed.

"Ya, I already know how to cook thes, we just don't have much time together. If we did then I could have cooked a lot for you!" Chae Won pouted.

Joong Ki patted his girlfriend's hair, "Arasso, when I return from the army I will let you prepare a banquet for me!"

The old couple laughed at the cute expression of their daughter. Chae Won has always been a cheerful girl, but she hasn’t been this cheerful ever since she started dating Joong Ki.

"Mr. Moon, Mrs. Moon, if you don't mind I would like to bring Chae Won to my hometown tonight for dinner. My family will be very glad to see her again"

"Why, of course Joong Ki. Chae Won is old enough to go out in the evening." Mr. Moon said.

"Thank you Mr. Moon, I will drive Chae Won back -"

"Andwe! I can stay in for the night right? Daejon is quite far from here and Joong Ki must be very tired by then" Chae Won interrupted

"Chae Won!" her mother protested.

"Well, Chae Won has a point yeobo. Let her be. She's old enough. Joong Ki, just bring her back first thing in the morning tomorrow eh?"

"Ah, of course Mr. Moon. I will bring her in one piece. Seul Ki will be very happy to share her room with Chae Won."

"So it's a deal then! Thank you appa, eomma! Please excuse me I will just prepare my things" Chae Won enthusiastically went to her room leaving the three giggling in disbelief.

It took around two hours before the young couple reached Daejon. It was quite a long trip but they did not mind at all.

Finally they reached the Song residence. "I hope your family will like this" Chae Won pointed to the lunch box of goodies prepared by her mother.

"Of course they will. But I know that they will like it more to see you again." Joong Ki placed an arm around Chae Won's shoulders and led her to his house.

"Kya! Chae Won unnie is here!" Seul Ki shrieked in excitement upon seeing the couple enter the house. Chae Won was welcomed with a tight hug from Seul Ki, followed by Mrs. Song.

"It's so good to see you again Chae Won, it's been a while since you last visited us!" Mrs. Song exclaimed.

"Mianeyo Mrs. Song, I've been quite busy these past months." Chae Won shyly explained.

"We understand dear. No worries. We're just glad that Joong Ki here was able to kidnap you for a while." Mrs. Song smiled and patted Joong Ki's arm.

"Of course, I won't let my vacation pass without spending time with my family" and his gaze turned to Chae Won.

"By the way, Chae Won will be spending the night here. Will it be fine if you share your room with her Seul Ki?"

"You don't even need to ask oppa! Chae Won unnie is very much welcome in my room! Come unnie let's bring your things upstairs" Seul Ki took Chae Won's hand and led her to to the stairs. Chae Won turned an apologetic look at Joong Ki, which he returned with a wink.

Evening came fast and the Song family happily gathered in the dining area. Joong Ki's parents and Seul Ki were present, as well as his older brother and his wife. Ever since the announcement of their relationship to their families, Chae Won has been welcomed to the Song residence. She would visit them even when Joong Ki is in the army. As a matter of fact, the family was so fond of Chae Won and they can't wait for the two to be wed.

"Chae Won here is already very famous and has a lot of admirers. You should keep a close eye on her Joong Ki." Mr. Song jokingly warned his son.

"They could just dare appa, or else I will track them down like what I did with the fugitive!" Joong Ki teased back. His answer made everyone laugh

"What a threat oppa. But you don't need to worry, I can take good care of myself!" Chae Won answered

"Well just so you know I already made arrangements with Kwang Soo, Joo Won, and Seung Gi to keep an eye on you. They are my surveillance cameras"

"Ya! No wonder they are so protective of me, you ordered them! Now I can't escape from Corporal Song Joong Ki. Ottoeke?" Chae Won pretended to look defeated

"You two look so adorable together! Can you just get married right away?" Joong Ki's sister-in-law commented

"Oh just wait noona, we'll surprise you with a wedding invitation" Joong Ki reached out for Chae Won's hand and intertwined it with his.

"Kids nowadays. I remember the times when I was still dating your mother. She's as lovely as Chae Won, well, minus the popularity that Chae Won has" Mr. Moon commented.

"What can I say? I have a good taste on girls, right Chae Won?" Joong Ki winked.

Later that evening everyone retreated to their respective bedrooms. "Keep your phone open okay?" Joong Ki whispered to Chae Won before they separated. Puzzled with his words, Chae Won just nodded and bid him goodnight.

The girls changed into their pajamas and went to bed. "It's so nice to finally share my bed with you unnie. So please update me on what you have been up to these days" Seul Ki told Chae Won while hugging her favorite teddy bear

Chae Won went about on her recent projects and how she tried to keep herself busy from missing Joong Ki.

"...so when you choose a guy, make sure that he's like your brother" Chae Won kept on talking that she didn't notice Seul Ki already drifted off to sleep. She smiled and kissed Seul Ki's forehead, "Goodnight dongsaeng" Chae Won turned off the lamp shade and settled herself on bed.

Just before sleep invaded her, Chae Won's phone buzzed.

"Now who could be sending me a message at this time?" She murmured to herself and took her phone from the lamp stand

"Are you still awake? I'm here outside the room ^^" It was a message from Joong Ki

Chae Won smiled to herself and left the bed careful not to wake Seul Ki. She carefully opened the door and found Joong Ki standing outside.

"Good you're still up. Kaja" He took her hand and made way to the hallway

"Ya Song Joong Ki, where are we going?"

"To my room of course" Joong Ki softly answered so only they could hear

Chae Won was baffled "What is he trying to do?" she thought to herself. But before she could further react, Joong Ki already dragged her to his room. He immediately closed the door and locked it.

 "Ya Song Joong Ki, what do you think you're doing?" Chae Won was already blushing and confused at the same time.

"What do you think? We're going to sleep of course!" he gestured towards the big bed

"Paboya, what if Seul Ki wakes up and looks for me huh?"

"Don't worry I got her. So are we going to sleep or not?" Joong Ki grinned at her. Chae Won huffed and followed him to the bed

As soon as they settled under the warm covers, Joong Ki gathered Chae Won in an embrace. This sudden gesture surprised her.

It's not the first time that the couple shared a bed, but knowing their situation they restricted themselves from doing anything further. But Chae Won felt something different with Joong kI tonight, she just could not figure out what.

"You know, every single night in the army I imagine hugging you like this until I fall asleep" Joong Ki whispered

"Well you don't have to imagine tonight, I'm right here beside you" Chae Won said with a sweet smile on her face

"That's right, and I plan to make the most out of it."

"And how do you plan to do that?" Chae Won asked as if challenging him

"Like this" Joong Ki swiftly captured her lips in a kiss, and as if on cue, Chae Won returned the kiss. Joong Ki closed their gap until only their clothes were the only barriers.  He possessively wrapped his toned arms around her waist and the small of her back. Their kisses went from sweet pecks to heated hungry ones. Joong Ki's hands roamed from her back to her hips until he met the hem of her pajamas.

His mind was clouded with love and desire for Chae Won. But a small voice in his head was preventing him from following his passion. Being far from his loved one was such an agonizing experience for Joong Ki and he knows that a night of tryst with Chae Won would definitely make up for it. But his conscience was telling him otherwise. He should stop himself before this gets too far. He has respect for Chae Won and he promised himself before that he will wait until they are married.

Finally he thought of Chae Won's welfare. He knew that she is still pure and innocent. That their unguarded actions might bring complications to her career later on.

And so with all his might, he broke the kiss.

"Oppa, what's wrong?" Chae Won felt his sudden uneasiness.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to take advantage of the moment Chae Won." he honestly answered

"As much as I love you and as much as I want you, I can't do this because I respect you." he further explained. His simple words pierced through Chae Won's heart and brought tears to her eyes. How could she be so lucky with this man? She placed both hands on Joong Ki's cheeks "Thank you Joong Ki oppa. I know this is difficult for you, but please know that this is difficult for me as well.  I feel you, very much. Thank you for the love, the trust, and especially the respect."

Joong Ki was likewise touched with Chae Won's words. "You are indeed amazing Moon Chae Won. You just don't know how much lucky I am to have you. And like what we promised to each other, I will patiently wait until the day that we will be together as husband and wife."

"Yes, until then we will patiently wait. Because I am certain that I want to be with you for the rest of my life. I love you my Corporal Song Joong Ki." Chae Won lovingly smiled at him

"Chae Won"

"Hm?"

"Please let me do this one last thing."

"What is it?"

Suddenly Joong Ki playfully launched over Chae Won and showered her face with kisses. “Ya! Joong Ki, that tickles!” Chae Won was giggling so hard as she tried to escape from his grasp. Their giggles filled the room until tiredness washed over them.

"I just hope we didn't wake anyone in your family" Chae Won whispered to Joong Ki.

"Let them be. We'll just face them in the morning. Goodnight Chae Won"

"Arasso, goodnight Joong Ki oppa" and together they drifted off into a deep slumber

The following morning, "Unnie, you were up so early. When I woke up you weren't there" Seul Ki commented over breakfast

"Hey did you hear the noises last night? I think we have rats in the house" Joong Ki's brother playfully said

"Right, and someone seemed to have locked his door last night" Mr. Song finally commented

Chae Won and Joong Ki wished that they would vanish right there and then. It was as if the whole family conspired on teasing the couple.

"Ya, if this goes out to the media, the whole of Korea will be shaken!" Mrs. Song also joined the conversation

"Should I call Dispatch or the wedding coordinator?" Joong Ki's sister-in-law took her phone.

"Ya ya ya! What's up with you guys? Chae Won and I only slept last night! Geez, you have such wild imaginations!" Joong Ki finally defended.

"Heh! Busted! So you really eloped with Chae Won to your room last night! Good job brother!" Joong Ki's brother exclaimed and everyone threw out laughing

The couple just exchanged defeated looks at each other. They would just live with the family's teasing.

Besides, they know that they will do it someday...in 2015. :)