Part 7

Water's Edge

Warning: Violence and death ahead.

 

 

 

Taekwoon stared down at the girl for a moment longer after she explained to him what had just happened before he finally relented, allowing her inside and sitting her down in a chair. He went to get a first aid kit to treat her injuries while she finished telling him everything.

 

Hakyeon was supposed to be the one to show up at the door but instead helped you get away? That sounds like him.” he commented.

 

As he took care of her injuries, he noticed one of her legs appeared to be badly bruised and cut up but upon a further check up, there appeared to be nothing broken. While he quietly bandaged her up Taekwoon's mind worked out what to do about the whole situation. There was also no way he could get around doing anything at all without having to involve Wonshik and his father. It wasn't something he particularly wanted to do but Hakyeon's life depended on the help, the more the better and at the moment from what he had been told he seemed more likely to die of dehydration then by his captives. Neither wouldn't be pleased about this and less so that they needed a human girl's help along the way but if Taekwoon had to he'd speak up for her.

 

What are we going to do?” she asked.

 

Taekwoon glanced at her once he was finished attending to her wounds and sighed “I have to tell my family.” At the mention of his family, the one that apparently hated her, Elliya stiffened fearfully. He placed a hand gently on her shoulder as he softly spoke again “we'll need more help that we can't exactly get anywhere else. I'll convince them to focus on the bigger picture which is helping Hakyeon.” she seemingly relaxed under his touch and nodded her head but her expression still remained nervous.

 

He left her briefly to return the first aid kid to where he got it and along the way made a the calls to his family members. From what she could hear of the muffled, one-sided conversation that it didn't seem to be going very well but eventually it seemed Taekwoon had been able to convince them to come home and put things aside to help. Now all that was left for the two to do was wait for the others to return. He offered her a drink while they waited and it was all she could do not to stare at him, envying how he seemed to still be able to remain so calm about the whole situation while she was barely able to keep herself from freaking out.

 

The slamming of the front door moments later caused Elliya to jump in her seat and the ever so stoic Taekwoon immediately stood next to her as he awaited his furious looking family members to appear. The first thing she saw was his father's furious face, he had shifted as he came barreling in with Wonshik, also shifted, following close behind. Elliya looked down at the glass in between in her trembling hands unable to watch the scene unfold.

 

This is what happens when you get involved with murdering beasts like her!” he bellowed.

 

This isn't her fault. If it's anyone's fault it's yours.” Taekwoon sternly told him. An audible gasp from Wonshik could be heard as if he couldn't believe the usually taciturn Taekwoon would dare speak to their father that way.

 

How dare you speak to me in that way!”

 

If you had just called the police and reported what happened these bastards would've been in jail and Hakyeon wouldn't have been taken. Stop hiding behind the bull reason that they would have discovered us, they wouldn't have. You're selfishness in not dealing with this correctly in the first place put us in more danger then this girl.” It amazed her how he was able to keep his cool, despite the dangerous glare aimed at him by his father, and speak calmly. Even Wonshik who had long since shifted back stared in awe at his brother. It was probably the most the male had ever spoken.

 

During his speech his father had shifted back but instead of the furious look he had previously worn on his face it changed into one of shame as Taekwoon words began to sink in. He sighed and rubbed at his temples before finally speaking “you're right I should have taken care of them when I had the chance but instead hid like a coward. I just didn't want to lose of any of you boys. And now Hakyeon is in danger because of my mistakes.”

 

We can still save him. We know where they're taking him.” Taekwoon replied.

 

What are we going to do?” Wonshik asked.

 

Though they didn't have an exact location other then the area separating the entrance to the forest and the road into town that was mostly isolated and the kind of vehicle that was to be used Taekwoon suggested splitting up once they got into town. Elliya, who had remained silent, finally stood up intending on joining them when Taekwoon tried to motion for her to stay.

 

You should stay behind.” he told her.

 

No I should go. I can help” she replied.

 

You're hurt.”

 

I'm also stubborn too and it's a real waste of time arguing because I'm going.”

 

Just that one sentence made him understand why Hakyeon liked her and he said no more on the subject knowing it was just as pointless to do so. They followed the others out to his father's running truck and the moment they were all inside they set off for the town.

 

 

 

Hakyeon stumbled to the ground again after a hard push and barely had the strength to put out his tied up hands to prevent himself from fully face planting into the dirt. Panting and trembling he couldn't seem to pick himself up off the ground again. One of the men grabbed him and pulled him up to his feet roughly when he didn't get up fast enough for his liking.

 

He's not looking too good.” one of the others stated.

 

The leader eyed him carefully “what's wrong with you?”

 

He chuckled listlessly wiping at the small amount of blood from his mouth from when he had been hit during the struggle to help Elliya escape. He was sure to end up with a bruised jaw later but he didn't regret it. They ultimately didn't beat him to a blood pulp because they would have been damaging the merchandise. Not that they even seemed to realize that he was already damaged goods since they didn't notice his drying out and taking that as a hint that he might be dying. He was more less literally like a fish out of water.

 

I'm drying out you idiots. Why else do you think we live near water in the first place? I can only be out of the water for a limited amount of time and just one bottle of water isn't going to help.” he wheezed out.

 

The trio exchanged troubled looks with each other not that he believed any of that was for him but more so for themselves. They obviously couldn't show up to the buyer with him dead or dying since that would impact how much they'd be getting paid.

 

There's a stream up a head but if you think of pulling a stunt like last time; we know where your girl lives and we'll kill whoever else lives there.”

 

Though Hakyeon knew he could get back before they could he still didn't want to risk not only Elliya's life but also the lives of her family. He didn't doubt they would follow through with their threat. Begrudgingly he conceded and they began walking again until they got to the small stream that had been spoken of. After untying his wrists they kept their weapons trained on him the moment he dived into the water and hadn't surfaced for a long while. He deliberately took his time in re-hydrating himself in hopes that it would give his family enough time to get to him assuming Elliya had been successful in her escape.

 

Let's go! You've had enough time to do whatever you needed to do and we want to get our money and get gone already!”

 

The instant he was back out of the water they tightly retied his hands behind his back and shoved him forward to get back to moving.

 

Rather then trying to think of another way he could escape Hakyeon decided he wanted to actually see who this supposed buyer of his was. If possible he wanted to find out how they knew of him and what he was and why he wanted someone like him. He didn't think this person wanted to kill him because why pay for something you were going to get rid of and they probably could have killed him themselves. Also why hire three bumbling rednecks to kidnap a person in broad daylight? To him that meant that these idiots were expendable and were just hired to do the dirty work which also meant that Hakyeon was being handed over to someone worse. Hakyeon could only hope to finding an opening when it came time for the exchange but also had to brace himself for the other reality that the others would be too late in getting to him if he couldn't escape on his own.

 

His only saving grace was that Elliya wasn't with him because he didn't want to think about what would be done to her if these three were as expendable as he thought they were. He highly doubted Elliya, being human and a witness, would fair any better.

 

It wasn't long before they had reached the bottom of the hill where the outskirts of the town lay. It tended to be a deserted area which made it a convenient place to do the deal. Hakyeon spotted a parked black van and a couple of black cars. A man in a well-tailored gray suit appeared to patiently standing nearby. His face held a hard expression that he was unable to decipher of what his intentions truly were but he was sure he was going to find out as he was dragged forward towards the man calmly waiting for them.

 

You're late.” the man spoke as they approached. He took one look at Hakyeon as if judging his condition. “it doesn't seem to be in any worse for wear.” he remarked and Hakyeon glared at the word use of 'it' “at least you managed not to kill one of them this time.”

 

Sorry this bastard kept trying to get away. We lost the girl but she wasn't a creature like him.” the leader replied “so can we get this over with so we can get out money and get out of here?”

 

The man had narrowed his eyes at the man as he mentioned Elliya and the stare had Hakyeon's blood running cold from the fear that she'd just become a target to be eliminated by this person.

 

This girl was human and she got away?” he received a nod and everything stood still while the suited man looked to be in thought before he returned his focus back to the three kidnappers with a smile that Hakyeon found all too unsettling, “gentlemen thank you for your help in capturing this creature and as promised you will be well compensated.”

 

A couple of men whom Hakyeon presumed were the man's lackeys joined them with two briefcases. The men smiled and the leader laughed as he spoke, eyes trained on the briefcases that he believed to be their reward “glad to be of service sir.” The man opened up one of the briefcases presumably to show them the money they were going to be getting but when he turned back around three shots rang out. Seconds later three bodies lay on the ground with holes in their foreheads.

 

Clean this up” the two lackeys from before began to take care of the bodies.

 

He barely had time to be startled by the gunshots as it happened so quickly and he almost thought for a second he would be next when the man turned the gun on him. Hakyeon was still too much in shock to move when told but the nudge of the gun forcibly moved him forward.

 

Get moving. We've got a long drive a head and from what I know of your kind, you don't last long out of water.”

 

Who are you? What do you want from me? How do you even know what I am?” he had far too many questions and it didn't seem likely he was going to be getting any answers any time soon.

 

I know you're not the only one of your kind and that you're not the only type of freak there is. Now if you don't want to end up like them” he directed the gun back to the bodies “I suggest you keep moving.”

 

Seeing first hand that the man had no qualms about killing Hakyeon immediately did as he was told. He opened the doors to the back of the van and was surprised to see he hadn't been the only one taken. There were three sizable cages built in and two of them were already occupied though no one he recognized. One was male with red hair and blue feline eyes. What surprised him more were the black cat ears on his head and a very agitated tail that swished back and forth. Hakyeon wanted to laugh at first thinking that the guy had been stupid enough to kidnap some guy in a cat costume but as they approached the empty cage the cat guy hissed revealing sharp canines and claws that were trying to cut through the cage.

 

There was a female beside his cage and she looked just as eager to tear their captor apart as the red head did. Her pink hair contrasted with pale skin and blue feline eyes. She was the same species as the guy only instead of her fur being black with it was a white.

 

All he did as he led Hakyeon to the cage was smirk “they're cat-hybrids. Let's hope they don't have a taste for fish.” He opened the cage and shoved him inside, it was locked within seconds before he could even attempt to push it open again.

 

Try not to exert any more energy. Wouldn't want you to dry out and die before we get to where we're going.”

 

And where's that?” Hakyeon was the only one who dared to ask.

 

You'll see.” was the only reply he got before the man climbed back of the van. The two lackeys from before replaced his presence in the van. They sat down on the bench, this time holding what looked to be electrified rods in their hands. It was probably in case any of them tried to do anything.

 

Hakyeon heard the van start and begin to pull away before stopping almost immediately after with a jerk. Following after that were doors being opened, yelling and struggling as whoever it was pulled them out of the van. One of the men guarding them stood up to look out the back windows to see if he could spot their assailants and the doors were pulled open and Hakyeon's heart jumped at the sight bright blue hair before the man was pulled out of the van, his weapon taken from him before he could even use it. The other was pulled out as well when he tried to help his partner After it was clear he was surprised to see Elliya climbing into the van, he noticed she was holding a set of keys and unlocked his cage.

 

While he was happy she was alright he didn't like that she had jumped back into danger by helping to rescue him. Once he was free the two shared a brief hug and he nodded to the other two cages that still held it's occupants “them too.” She was quick to unlock the cages before they were hurried out of the vehicle.

 

Wonshik and Taekwoon were both holding their own against the helper men as was his father, who he didn't expect to see, but their main captor was no where to be found. Hakyeon didn't like that he couldn't see where the man was but decided to take the risk of making a run for it anyway as he grabbed Elliya's hand. He also noticed the cat-hybrids had already disappeared without so much as a thank you to them but he couldn't be bothered to worry about that at the moment.

 

We need to get back to the truck.” Elliya said and he agreed pulling her with him as the ran around to the front of the van where the truck was stopped.

 

They had just gotten into the vehicle when the passenger side door was pulled open and Hakyeon was pulled out and dragged onto the ground. An electrified rod pressed against his side releasing a debilitating electric current through his seizing body. Elliya called out his name hurrying out the truck but was struck down herself with a cry. He saw him standing over her shaking body with a sinister smile and he tried to get up but another electric prod to side had him unable to do anything but seize up again.

 

I assume this is the girl I heard about? We haven't been properly introduced, call me Amos. Take that one away.” he informed them. A couple men picked Hakyeon up by his arms and dragged him back to his cage as his legs refused to work at the moment. The last thing he saw before slipping into unconsciousness was that the pink haired girl had also been recaptured.

 

Sir, do we take her with us?” one of the lackeys asked.

 

Amos looked down at the barely conscious girl for a moment “we do not.” He started walking back to the van “just tie up that loose end so we can get going.”

 

He nodded and pulled the hammer back on his gun as he aimed at female just as Elliya looked up to see the barrel pointed at her head. She closed her eyes braced herself for a shot that never came. Instead when she opened her eyes she saw the last person she would have ever expected to save her life. It was Hakyeon's father tackling the man to the ground just before he could pull the trigger. Taekwoon was there by her side helping to stand making sure she was alright before heading to help his father. His father had already killed the male and had taken his gun. He turned around with the intent on heading for Amos but just as he turned to head for the van a loud shot rang out and everyone watched in horror as he fell to the ground, a massive wound in his chest.

 

Amos sighed “if you want something do you've still got to do it yourself I see.”

 

Both Elliya made a dash for the dying man as did Wonshik but only he was able to get there as the two were struck down by a shot from a taser gun. Once it was deemed safe for them to they came and took Taekwoon away with them. She was unable to do anything but watch helplessly as they took the unconscious man and succumbed to the darkness herself.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Cookies for anyone who can guess who the girl and boy are :D or at least the groups they're from XD .So judging from the poll it seems most want a sequel. I've got a lot of ideas already worked up in mnd for one and once I get this and few other things finished I'll start working on one. Thank to the people who have subcribed and commented! <3 A particular thank to Blonde-minho's comment I really really appreaciated and needed it. 

I'll try to update more quickly but I need the motivation to do so. So please continue to comment and subscribe! I'll love you forever :)