01

Close Enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since I was a little girl, it was always my dream to find my one 'True Love'. People called me crazy, stupid even, for believing in such a silly thing. 

"True Love doesn't exist."

"You read too much cheesy romantic novels."

"You're an idiot. There's no such thing as true love."

They're wrong, all of them. Well, I do read a lot of cheesy romantic novels, but that doesn't make me stupid. It's not stupid to think that someone could love me deeply-- sincerely. I'm not stupid right? I like to believe that I am just a very hopeful person. 

I've never seen true love with my own two eyes, not even my parents had a healthy relationship. They divorced when I was in middle school. It's okay though, they figured it was better for them to separate anyway. But even though they parted their own ways, I know that they still love each other. It's just not TRUE love. There's a difference between being in love and being IN LOVE. It's quite hard to explain, so I'll just spare my time and yours by telling you a story instead. 

------

"Yah! Son Naeun!," Ms. Park leaned over to shout in my ear. "Wake up!"

I groaned as I lifted my head off the wooden desk, my name engraved at the left hand side corner. "I'm up... I'm awake."

Ms. Park laughed, clicking her tongue in disappointment. "Detention, after class. You better stay this time Naeun." 

"Again? For what? Just for sleeping?!," I spoke, quite oblivious to the whole situation. 

"JUST FOR SLEEPING!?," Ms. Park spoke back a bit louder. "We are in class young lady. You pay attention or else I will give you a full week of detention. Do I make myself clear?" 

I rolled my eyes- annoyed, taking a deep breath before nodding. "Yes ma'am."

"Good. Now start taking notes," Ms. Park ordered before maintaining her fake elegant posture and walked back over to the chalk board.

"What a grump," I mumbled softly and took a pen into my hand, diligently writing down the math notes which made no sense to me whatsoever. 

Riiiiiiiing.

Saved by the bell, hallelujah. I immediately threw my books and pens into my backpack and got up until Ms. Park stopped me from walking any further. I sighed at my own stupidity, momentarily forgetting that I had after class detention. I showcased a slight grin to Ms. Park and sat back down at my seat, placing my head down on the desk. "This is going to be a long day."

I reached for the phone in the pocket of my uniform and checked to see if I had received any messages.  None, just my mom reminding me to come home straight from school like always. Sorry mom, not today.

I put my phone back into my pocket and watched as the hands of the cloc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter