2

Priorities
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unedited.

An alarm ringing at seven am reminds Nana that her holidays have, indeed, ended. Groaning, she opens her eyes to glare at the machine sprouting little technicoloured sparks as the energetic tone plays.

Aware that her first class begins at nine and that if she’s late to breakfast the vegetable pancakes would be gone, she pushes herself up to get ready for the day. “Raina,” she breathes lethargically, half-heartedly reaching up to tap the side of the top bunk’s frame. “Breakfast. Get up.”

Raina grunts in reply and shifts, but when silence resumes Nana rolls her eyes and gets changed. Thankful that the school doesn’t bother with a uniform despite being rather exclusive if only in student number and location, she checks the timetable she’d printed out at home and groans at the sight of the Potions II pre-lab. Woefully placing her fluffy jumper back into the drawer, she pulls on a tighter cotton jumper instead. Popping a mint into so she can brush her teeth after breakfast, Nana then reaches up and yanks Raina’s duvet right off her bed.

“Hey!” she instantly complains, her messy bedhead of black hair popping up above the mattress’ edge.

“Get up!” Nana laughs, clutching the duvet to her chest as Raina attempts to wrestle for them. “I’ll go to breakfast without you,” she warns.

“Then go,” Raina groans, tugging on the section of duvet she’d managed to grab. “I’ll sleep for a bit more.”

“Don’t forget to get breakfast,” Nana says firmly.

“I won’t,” promises Raina, blinking at her earnestly despite her eyelashes sticking together in places from sleep.

“You better not,” Nana warns again as she pockets her key. “We share most of our classes and the first lab is nine to twelve.” With that said, Nana checks her reflection in the mirror and quickly brushes her hair. For once thankful for having straight hair if only for ease of fixing it to become presentable, she locks the door behind her and heads through the corridor for the stairs. Spotting only a couple of third years yawning as they close their own doors, she hurries down the staircase in hopes of getting there in time before the good food is gone.

She notices the number of students in the corridors increase as she goes down levels, noticing not for the first time the difference between first and third years. Her lips twitching with the urge to smile, she heads for the centre of the manor to reach the dining hall. Walking through the open doors, she’s instantly relieved to see a small number of students seated amongst the numerous rectangular tables scattered throughout the room in an orderly grid.

Nana makes a bee-line straight for the buffet, grabbing a plate and grinning in triumph once a good serving of vegetable pancakes are on her plate. Picking up a few more items of food both familiar and new, she bravely decides to pour herself a glass of orange juice and balance everything to a table. She scans the room and feels her eyes brighten as she spots Hyukjae seated at a table only occupied by one other person. Making her way over and carefully dodging the odd chair or person in her way, she sets her plate down and smiles. “Morning Hyukjae, you look like winter the happiness out of your life. Morning Sungmin, good holiday?”

Sungmin grins in amusement when Hyukjae only grunts to acknowledge Nana’s presence but otherwise makes no movement other than inhaling his food. “It was good.” Drinking some of his tea, he gives the pastry on his plate a curious poke. “How was yours?”

“I’m sad it’s over but happy to be back,” Nana admits between mouthfuls, making a mental note to try the pasty next time when Sungmin sighs in bliss the moment he bites into it. “Not so happy about my timetable.”

“Why? Laws and Regulations first up in the morning?” Sungmin asks, covering his mouth as he speaks with his mouth full of food.

“Nah, I’ve got Incantations first.” Nana sips her juice and returns the high five Sungmin delivers with a muffled ‘me too!’ “I’ve got the night Potions class booked last thing Friday.”

“That ,” Sungmin says as he rummages into his bag. He retrieves a neatly folded timetable.

Nana gives the near pristine paper an odd look. “I’m surprised you haven’t scrunched that into a ball by now.”

Sungmin shoots her a wry smile. “I’m rooming with neat freak over here. I’ve gotta practise good habits or I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Damn straight,” Hyukjae agrees, pushing his empty bowl away to rest his head in his arms. “If you mess up our room I’ll turn your sheets into frogs or something.”

Aware that Hyukjae is more than capable of doing such a thing, Sungmin sneers at him and leans away. “I’d kick your arse.”

“You’d like that wouldn’t you,” Hyukjae mumbles from between his arms.

“You two are insufferable,” Nana sighs as Sungmin splutters. She shakes her head when Sungmin returns to scrutinising what she assumes to be his timetable. “Good luck surviving the semester together.”

“Oh, we’re best buddies,” Hyukjae looks up with a grin, reaching up to pinch Sungmin’s cheek. “Right best friend?”

Nana immediately takes offense. “I thought I was your best friend!”

“Hey, you can have him,” Sungmin says distractedly while he swats Hyukjae’s persistent hand away. “,” he groans, “I’ve got that night class too. Goodbye Friday night parties.”

“I’m sure your hand won’t miss you,” Hyukjae says cheekily. He yelps when Sungmin whacks him on the back of his head. “Hey! What was that for?!”

“You deserved it,” Nana points out as she bites into her pancake. Noticing Hyukjae’s eyes watching the dish with too much focus for her liking, she narrows her eyes and brandishes her chopsticks like long claws. “Mine.”

Hyukjae hisses at her before burying his face in his arms again. Sungmin glances between the two of them with a mildly creeped out expression. “You two are weird.”

Nana shrugs and replies in synchrony with Hyukjae. “Best friends.”

Sungmin eyes her strangely and slowly shakes his head. “Yeah, you can have him. Hey, since we’re here, let’s do a timetable check.” Nana nods and retrieves her phone, pulling up the image she’d taken of her timetable. “What’s the point of bringing your phone here,” Sungmin snorts. “No reception and no internet. It’s a hunk of metal.”

“It’s a camera and music player,” Nana sniffs, showing the picture to him. “It has its uses.”

“Paper for me,” Hyukjae mumbles, obviously still struggling to stay awake. He fishes in his pockets and pulls his own timetable out, propping it onto the table in front of him so he can peer at it from behind his folded arms. “I’ve got Incantations on Friday.”

“Nope,” Nana replies, “Monday at nine.”

“I’m on Monday morning too,” says Sungmin, a hint of relief in his smile. “That’s one person I know confirmed. Well, two. But the more the better.”

“Yup,” agrees Nana. “Let’s hope we share more. I’ve got Potions pre-lab today at one and lab tomorrow at ten.”

“Me too,” Hyukjae says while he closes his eyes. “Partners?”

“Of course,” Nana quickly agrees, “you’re the best lab partner to have.”

“Excuse me, I’m still here,” Sungmin says with a roll of his eyes, “and I’ve got that class too. I guess I’ll partner up with Donghae.”

“He’s good though, isn’t he?” Nana asks curiously. “I don’t know him well but I think he did well last semester?”

“Yeah,” Sungmin nods, “top of the class apparently. Looks like we’ll be your rivals!”

Nana’s eyes sharpen at the challenge. “We will crush you. Right Hyukjae?” With only a tired grumble as a reply, Nana shoots him a glare. “He’ll be competitive later when he’s more awake.”

“Sure he will,” Sungmin says dryly, aware of just how competitive his friend could be. “I’ve got Runes on Thursday morning.”

“Afternoon,” Nana sighs, “looks like we’re not sharing that one. Hyuk?”

Hyukjae opens one eye to squint at his sheet of paper. “Thursday at two.”

“We’re sharing that one then,” Nana notes with relief. “I’ve got Laws and Regulations on Friday at ten.”

“Me too,” Sungmin confirms. They turn to Hyukjae and wait for a few seconds before realising he’s already on the verge of falling asleep. Rolling his eyes, Sungmin leans over to survey his timetable. “He’s got it on Tuesday afternoon. That’s a full day,” he grimaces, “nine to five. He’s gonna die.”

Nana winces in empathy. “Ouch. I had one of those last semester. At least we’ll probably finish potions quickly so he can go eat.”

“Hopefully,” Sungmin nods. Glancing at his analogue watch, he sighs. “Well we’ve gotta go get ready. We didn’t shower last night so we’re gonna have to now.” Standing up, he shakes Hyukjae’s shoulder. “Get up you lazy , you have to shower.”

Hyukjae grumbles but complies, slouching out of his seat and kicking the chair into place while he gathers his plate and glass. Nana does the same and walks with them to the dirty dishes cart. “Let’s hope we get through this last semester okay.”

“We’ll be fine even if we have to drag Hyukjae kicking and screaming,” Sungmin grins, a mischievous glint in his eyes. Nana gets the feeling he’d be only too happy to do just that and wraps a protective arm around a clueless and zoned out Hyukjae. “Oh I didn’t mean it literally,” Sungmin dismisses with a wave of his hand. “Once he wakes up he’ll be okay.”

“We’re sharing Incantations, right?” Nana asks warily. When Sungmin nods she sighs, “I am so not sparring with you.”

“Eh,” Sungmin shrugs, rubbing his hands together and smiling sweetly at a passing professor. “I’ll find other victims.”

Nana shoots him a cautious look as they head back to the dorms. “That’s much scarier when it’s said by somebody with magic.”

“What can I say,” Sungmin smiles, “I’m a witch.”

 

 

After brushing her teeth and passing by her dorm to get her books and pick up a sleepy but ready Raina, Nana heads straight for the east wing. Already familiar with the room numbers, the girls quickly locate the room for their Incantations practical. Joining the eighty odd students waiting outside the rooms in the corridor, they check the notice posted on the wall for their allocations.

“Same lab group,” Raina smiles after confirming their own room. “Good.”

“That’s a relief,” Nana agrees as they walk to the room number, sticking together as they walk around the students blocking the busy hallway. “Sungmin’s in ours too.”

“Whether that’s a good thing or not remains to be seen,” Raina jests quietly, her eyes darting about to ensure she hadn’t been overheard.

Nana shakes her head and slings an arm over her shoulder. “Don’t worry, he’d rather you say that to his face than behind his back.”

Looking at her curiously, Raina frowns slightly. “Pretty sure he’d rather I not say it at all.”

The only thing that startles Raina more than the hand resting on her shoulder is that Sungmin’s voice follows. “Oh it’s okay, I can take it.” Leaning forward, Sungmin grins at her. Nana notes with amusement that his teeth look almost pointed beneath the broken overhead light. “I would prefer it to my face though.”

Raina’s eyelids lower as she glances at the crowd of people shifting to form small gaps between groups. Leaning forward, she fixes a direct gaze onto Sungmin’s. “If you curse me I’ll curse you right back.”

Sungmin’s barking laughter catches the attention of surrounding students but he waves them off. “And that, Raina, is why I like you.”

Nana eyes them both with amusement, chuckling quietly when she hears a boy next to her mutter, “And that is why I’m steering clear of both of you.”

“Might be a good idea,” Nana says to him quietly. The familiar face looks back at her with surprise but gives a shy smile. When he seems to hesitate to say anything, she decides to start the conversation herself. “I’m Nana, by the way. I think I’ve seen you around?”

The boy nods, his hair flashing white as he rubs the back of his neck. He starts speaking even as Nana’s eyes widen with surprise. “I’m Jongin. And, yeah, the hair thing… I, uh, got cursed by an uncle on the break.”

Nana’s response is immediately concern. “Are you okay?! Was it a bad one, or just the ‘can’t fix it yourself’ kind of curse?”

Jongin nods quickly and begins raising his hands to calm her but stops half way, casting an uncertain glance to them. He promptly lowers them again and gives his books a nudge with his foot. “Just the ‘wait until it fades’ kind,” he answers, his face flushing slightly. “It was white all the time at first but now it comes and goes.”

Nana glances past him as another boy comes up behind him and slings an arm over his shoulder to rest comfortably around his neck. “That’s what she said,” he grins, his eyes calculating as he sizes Nana up. She notes the almost protective curl of his fingers against Jongin’s shoulder.

“Shut up Taemin,” Jongin says, his confident and sarcastic voice such a change from the bashful boy she’d just met that Nana can’t help but feel stunned. “You were saying we don’t have friends in this class. Well, friend. Be nice.”

“Pretty sure you’re scaring her more than I am,” Taemin grins at him. Nana watches the wary glint completely vanish as he changes the one-armed embrace into a headlock, teasingly rubbing his hand into Jongin’s black hair. “Right?” he asks, his eyes flitting back to Nana’s.

The instant hardening of his stare doesn’t startle her this time. Reminded oddly of Zico whenever he meets one of her friends, her chest relaxes. “I’m pretty sure I’ve met scarier people than you,” she says honestly. She continues as Taemin’s eyebrows draw together in challenge, “and you guys seem pretty cool. Not familiar with the people in our group?”

Taemin shakes his head but speaks after Jongin pinches him. “Not really. Our friends ended up in the other timeslot or another room.”

Nana nods in understanding. “Some of mine too. One of them got a y timetable because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter