Part one

Tough Love

“Yah! ______! Wake up! You have school today!!!!” I heard my mother yell from down stairs.

I groan and roll over in my bed to see my clock on my bedside table. 7:03 AM. I sigh and get up from bed before trudging to my adjourned bathroom. After a quick shower I change into that stupid uniform of my stupid school, Seoul High. A pretty prestigious school here in Korea, but what does it matter to me? I ace every class without trying anyway and it’s filled with such useless people! UGGGHHH!

Just as I finish putting on my uniform which consisted of a white button up, a navy blazer with the school emblem, a black pleated skirt that went to my mid thigh and black thigh high socks, and start brushing my waist length black hair my mother’s voice rings out throughout the house yet again.

“______!” she shouts out once more.

I sigh yet again. “I’m coming!” I reply exasperatedly.

I put my brush back on my vanity and check my hair and going downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast. I know you’re probably wondering ‘Why didn’t she put on her make up? Doesn’t she use mascara? Blah, blah, blah.’ Yeah well I guess you can say I’m the delinquent type but that’s only if you’re talking to the teachers and principle of my school. I just do what I want and if you get in my way or piss me off then expect to be hit, but let’s get this straight, I don’t just randomly go around knocking out anyone on the street, just those that really piss me off.

I reach the kitchen and see my mom just placing a plate with a stack of pancakes in the middle of our dining table, my father reading the newspaper and drinking coffee looking very mush the stereotypical dad. I take my seat on the left side of the table and start putting pancakes on my plate.

“G’morning,” I say to my parents before pouring maple syrup on my pancakes and eating them.

“Good morning sweetie,” my mother replies kissing my cheek as she sets a glass next to my plate and putting the water pitcher on the table before taking her own seat.

“Morning,” my father grunts probably still half asleep.

I quickly finish my pancakes and down some water straight from the pitcher before getting out of my seat.

“I’ll be going to school now, bye,” I say to my parents before leaving the kitchen and going to the front door to put on my black Doc Martins.

My mom come out from the kitchen and walks toward me as I finish putting on my shoes and grabs my bag before handing it to me. “Bye sweetie, have a good day and try not to get into too much trouble,” she says softly to me as she hugs me goodbye.

I hug her back. “I’ll try umma, I’ll try…”

“Bye sweetie!” my father calls out from the kitchen ruining our little moment.

I sigh and shake my head and open the front door to leave. “Bye umma,” I say turning my back on her as I walk outside and towards the gate of my house. At the gate I see my friend YiXing, or as he likes to be called Lay, waiting at the gate waving to me. I hurriedly walk the five short towards the gate and open it to walk out. Okay so here’s the deal….. I have a crush on him. I know, I’m exactly the dream girlfriend or whatever, I know that, but I didn’t choose to fall in love with him. Sigh… I just don’t know anymore…

“Hey ______,” he smiles as I turn to him after locking the gate to my house.

“Hey,” I lamely reply before straightening my bag and walking away.

He obediently follows and starts walking beside me, almost bumping shoulders. As we walk, I can’t help but sneak peeks at him.

 ‘He really is handsome.’ I think.

‘WAIT! KIM ______, GET THOSE OUT OF YOUR HEAD!’ My inner, more rational me says in my head.

Even the sensible side of me keeps trying to tell me, I can’t help but love him.

“Hey, ______. Are you okay? You keep shaking head…” his concerned voice pulls me from my thoughts.

I look at him and suddenly notice how close we have gotten during my little inner conflict. “I’m fine YiXing just…. Just thinking,” I reply softly moving away from him a bit to get some distance between us.

I look back at him and see a look of hurt flash on his face before disappearing and being replaced by his usual dimpled smile, probably just imagining things.

“Okay! Just making sure,” he replies cheerfully, “wouldn’t want my friend getting a headache.”

I shake my head once more with a soft smile on my face even if I’m breaking inside before my usual stoic, emotionless face replaces it and start walking. “Come on,” I say as I walk away from him.

He eventually takes his place next to me once again and I can’t help but smile and break a little more inside. ‘Friends… That’s all we’ll ever be…’