Hello Goodbye

Hello Goodbye

The first time you met him, it was in fourth grade...

 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo," a cute boy bowed towards you. "BamBam imnida,"

"Annyeonghaseyo," you smiled at him. "I'm JungEun,"

"Pretty name. It's fitting for a pretty girl like you," he said softly, making you blush.

"BamBam," you said slowly. "Cute. I like it. Your name really tells things about you,"

"Things like what?

"You're cute. What else?"

"You're a treasure, JungEun-ssi?"

"What?"

"JungEun. Nation's treasure..."

"Oh... Nope. I'm just me,"

"Really?" he asked.

"Yup," you nodded. He smiled. You loved his smile.

"Doesn't seem like it," he said, making you blush once again. "You're cute when you blush,"

"Gomawo," you said, blushing an even deeper shade of red.

 

With that... You could sense that you and BamBam would have a good relationship. A relationship that cannot be broken easily. Something that will last for a long time. You met him when you were ten and he was eleven. Two years later, as you both grew older, you began to realize something. You had never felt that way before. It was a new feeling. But you soon found out what it was called. It was called love.

 

"Where are we going?" you asked him as he took your hand and pulled you to the bus stop.

"Secret," he put a finger to his lips cutely. You laughed.

"Can't you tell me?" you asked.

"Nope," he shook his head, smiling.

"Why not?" you asked, pretending to be sad.

"Because you'll find out, anyway," he answered.

 

When you both had arrived at the place he was taking you to. You were surprised. It was Lotte World.

 

"Uwaah," you said, amazed.

"Why are you so happy?" he asked, smiling.

"I don't know," you shrugged.

"Have you been here before?"

"Just once. When I was seven,"

"It hasn't been that long yet. Six years,"

"But you know me, Bammie. I have a short memory span," you told him.

"Oh, yeah. You're right," he laughed and slung an arm around your shoulder, making your heart beat faster than usual like it always did when he did any form of skin ship with you. "Let's go, Jung,"

 

By the end of the day, he had walked you home. This time, he wasn't the same as he usually was. Usually, he would be joking around, laughing, playing with you, but this time, he was quiet. You found it a little strange.

 

"What's wrong, Bammie? Why are you so quiet?" you asked him.

"Have you ever wondered..." he started softly. "What that feeling is called?"

"What feeling?" you asked.

"Let's say there's this guy you liked. You two are really close. As the day ends, you feel like you want to see him again. You always find yourself thinking about him, missing him. Do you know that feeling, Jung?"

"Yes, I know it well," you said quietly.

"Were you scared, Jung?"

"Scared?"

"Scared of rejection? Scared of being hurt?"

"No. Because I think that if he does hurt me, then we're not meant for each other. That's what I believe," you said.

"Really?" he slowly turned his head to look at you. You nodded. "I don't think the same as you do, Jung. You can't control your heart. Your heart loves who it chooses to love,"

"Is that so?" you said.

"That's what I believe... But if I liked this girl, and she doesn't like me back, what should I do?"

"Then you should find someone better,"

"And just forget about that girl?"

"I guess..."

"Would it be better if I told her I liked her first?"

"Yes. You can never be too sure about someone's feelings. You are only sure of your own,"

"But I am not even sure about my feelings. I don't know if I really do like her or what,"

"Confess... It's the only way to know what you should do,"

"So... If I could tell that girl that I like her right now, I should tell her already, right?"

"I guess so..." you said, your head down. 

 

BamBam probably liked someone else. It would never be you. But you couldn't help but hope, even just a little bit, that it was you. Then he said those three words that you were wishing to hear.

 

"I like you,"

 

When you heard those words, you felt like your heart was going to explode. Then he did something that almost made it burst. Do you know what he did? Yes, he had kissed you. As it was both your first kiss, you didn't know what to do. Once he had gently placed his lips on top of yours, you had just went along with it. It was sweet and innocent. Just like a first kiss should be. And this... This kiss, with your first love, would always be in your heart.

 

From that day onwards, he had marked you his. And he was yours.

 

But your happiness didn't last long, once the two of you had reached your last year of high school, you were drifting apart due to the stress of the work they gave you. You rarely spent time with each other, and if you did, you both weren't as close as you were before. At times, he would try to rescue your relationship when it got out of hand. Sometimes, when you two fought, you would just storm out, slamming the door behind you. And when that happened, he would feel guilty, because he didn't stop you from going and that he couldn't save it. Quite a few times, you almost broke up. But eventually, a few days before graduation, you did.

 

"Jung," BamBam said softly, taking your hand. "Don't be like this," you pulled your hand away and sighed.

"Why can't you let me go, BamBam?"

"Because I love you,"

"Just because you love me?"

"What about you, then? Why do you want to break up with me?"

"We're already drifting apart. What's the use of being in a relationship?"

"Don't you love me?"

"I... I love you, but..."

"Is there.... Is there someone else?"

"No. It's just..."

"There is, isn't there?" he guessed. You bit your lip. "Fine. We're over,"

"Wait," you said shakily. "It's not that, Bammie,"

"Then what? You don't love me anymore?"

"I love you, but we're already drifting apart. What's the use?"

"It's love, Jung,"

"Even though..."

"I'll tell you this, Jung. Tell me everything. Tell me what you want to say. I'll listen to you,"

"I'll just say one thing,"

"And that is...?"

"Your promise... Will you still keep it?"

"I know I should, but I don't want to. Well, not anymore,"

"Yah!"

"You wanted to break up. I'm only granting your wish,"

 

Day by day. Month by month. You hadn't forgotten what he last said to you.

 

"Goodbye. Forget me. Forget everything,"

 

You bit your trembling lip as tears ran down your cheeks.

 

"I'm sorry," you whispered to one person in particular, hoping he would hear it, but you knew, deep inside, that it was impossible.

 

 "Can we start over?"