Ajutor

Dracula Heir

Kim Junsu swirled the red liquid in his glass absentmindedly. His gaze rested on an ugly painting that hanged on one of his condo’s walls; Hyun Shik had insisted he’d buy it at a charity event’s auction last year. Junsu had almost gagged at that particular “art” piece. The charity event was attended by the country’s rich and powerful. The last thing on their minds was to actually help the needy, of course, and Junsu did not want to have anything to do with those posers. He already consistently contributed to other charity organizations who would actually help the poor and afflicted.

As the auction was winding down, Junsu felt a sharp jab on his side. He chose to ignore it and stared fixedly ahead. However, his agent would not give up and once again jabbed him with his elbow. He shot Hyun Shik a bored look.

“Kim Junsu, you need to buy this next painting. The auction is almost over and you have not bought anything.”

Junsu grunted. His agent sighed in exasperation. “Look, I know you probably contribute more to charity than all of these people together and that you think these particular pieces of art are crap, but your image is important. Do it so everyone can go home raving about how Kim Junsu has a heart of gold, and a wallet to match, for contributing to charity. Besides, your condo is so bare. It looks like a jail cell.”

 

Junsu was actually amazed at how much Hyun Shik understood the media and himself. He knew his agent was right about everything he’d said (although he had been slightly hurt at his comment about his condo looking like a cell), so he morosely raised his hand to bid on the last painting. Now it was hanging on his condo’s wall, seemingly gloating in all its hideousness. Junsu had no idea what happened to the good old art of the 15th century. Was it so hard to have some aesthetic taste?

His phone’s loud vibrating interrupted his musings.

“Hello? Yes, let him up please,” Junsu quickly instructed and left his seat. His bare feet barely made any noise as he made his way to the front door. Firm knocks reverberated around the condo and Junsu opened the door. Standing before him was 5’2-tall director Cho Jongji. Giant spectacles firmly perched over an aquiline nose, the 50-year-old director looked more like an indulging grandfather than a hardened, widely acclaimed director, but Junsu knew better.  Both men shook hands warmly and Junsu ushered him in.

“Ah Kim Junsu, a rarity to see you looking so casual,” the director pointed out, his deep voice booming in Junsu’s empty apartment. Junsu looked down at himself. He had donned the first pair of jeans he had found in his closet and a knitted white sweater. There were very few moments in his daily life where he could wear comfortable clothes and just relax. He flashed a toothy grin to the director.

“The perks of days off,” he simply said. Both of them sat in Junsu’s mahogany dining table. The young man offered the director a drink.

Cho Jongji smacked his lips in anticipation. “Yes, I’ll have the red wine you’re having.”

Junsu’s forehead wrinkled in confusion. He looked at his glass in the table and suddenly chuckled.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, director, but I was not drinking red wine; quite the contrary, I was enjoying a very refreshing tomato juice.”

Jongji grimaced and even shuddered. “So the rumors are true then,” he said out loud to himself. Junsu looked at him from his spot in the kitchen. When the director did not offer an explanation, he shrugged and continued hunting his cupboards for a cup. Out of all the rooms in  his condo, the kitchen was the one that by far he disliked the most. While the rest of his apartment had the regal, dark look that he preferred, his kitchen was all steel and sharp edges, with a fridge that had a computer screen in it. Junsu did not understand for the no-life of him why someone would want to have a thing that posted on the web the contents of your fridge or something silly like that.

“I’m talking about the rumor that says you don’t drink any alcohol ever,” Jongji clarified. Junsu smiled as he placed a cup of iced tea in front of the director and took a seat.

“Yes, alcohol is not my beverage of choice,” Junsu trailed off, caressing the rim of his glass. “I did not know that the public was aware of that fact. It’s not a “fun fact” or trivia tidbit  that I’ve ever mentioned, though.”

The director scoffed at this. “Have you forgotten your horde of fangirls and paparazzi, who seem to act as if they were your fangirls too, by the way? They know everything about you, Kim Junsu.”

The young actor could only smile at that.

 

 It was true, though. Junsu could not stand the taste or smell of alcohol. The only drink Junsu could somewhat tolerate was tomato juice. Changmin would constantly deride him about it, trying to provoke him in public. Junsu would always inwardly roll his eyes at the younger  man’s antics.

He wondered where Changmin was. He hadn’t talked to him since that movie premiere they had both attended around a month ago. He was surprised that his tall friend had not called to scold him for not telling him about Junsu’s new musical before it was released to the public.

Junsu’s musings were again interrupted, this time by the director’s chronic cough. Still bending over the force of his coughs, Jongji rummaged on the leather briefcase he’d brought along. He produced a stack of manila folders out of it and set it on the table. Junsu raised his eyebrows, intrigued.

            “Here are the files on every single actor and actress that was cast for the musical,” the director explained. “I got them from the original director’s assistant, and I have gone over them.”

            Director Jongji pushed the files in Junsu’s direction. He browsed through them slowly, poring over faces and information. “And what do you think?”

            The older man frowned and scratched the side of his nose. “I say there’s not one keeper in that bunch. They’re all college students that got the role because no one else auditioned for it. The director himself claimed they were a magical cast, but after talking with his assistant, she revealed to me that they had the talent of a rock.”

            Junsu winced at that. He knew how blunt Cho Jongji could be, especially about actors’ performances and potential.

            “Have they...”

            “They’ve all been taken care of,” the director interrupted. “Most were not terribly upset about not participating anymore.”

            Junsu sighed. At least everything had gone smoothly and now actors with actual talent and capacity could be casted for the production instead. The director, however, slowly produced a single manila folder from his briefcase and slid it in Junsu’s direction. Junsu now was very confused, but he took the director’s silence as a signal to open the file.

            The actor could not remember the last time he had felt something close to what he was feeling as he looked at the small photograph enclosed in the file. He was sure that, had he been alive, his breath would’ve been knocked out of him. That small smile and that feathery hair and that straight nose he loved and she hated. She was there, right in front of him.

            “Min Ah,” Junsu said out loud, the name slipping from his lips like droplets.

            The director nodded. “You see it too, huh? That girl would be the perfect Mina for the musical! She has very, eh, classical features.”

 

            Junsu realized his mistake and was glad the director thought he was referring to Dracula’s Mina, not his Min Ah. He laid his hands flat on the table, seeking to gather his wits. Chaotic thoughts bounced back and forth in his mind, making his head throb. Reaching for his glass, he slowly slipped his juice while counting to ten.

Not my Min Ah, Junsu reminded himself, just Min Ah.

“So you think she would do a good Mina?” Junsu asked director Jongji, willing his mind to forget the name that left him reeling. He’d have to think about that picture later. Changmin had to be told about it too. Junsu was sure that it couldn’t be Min Ah…not after what had happened oh so many years ago. It just could not be, could it?

“That’s the thing,” the director answered, his voiced laced with hesitancy. “I don’t know. All the files had the director’s assistant’s notes on the talent and performance level of each cast member. However, this girl’s file had nothing on it; “Mina” was the only thing quickly scribbled there. I asked the assistant herself and she wouldn’t give me a straight answer…I feel like she was a personal friend of the girl or something of the sort. Therefore, she remains a mystery to me.”

Junsu kept his eyes glued to the small photograph. When he did not say anything, the director coughed for a while and continued.

“I am not sure I want to cast a rookie for the main female role, especially if you’re the male lead role. But her face would just fit so perfectly in the role,” the director sighed wistfully. “What I’ll do is have her audition again, this time for me so I can see if she’s worth a shot.”

Junsu finally teared his eyes from the photo and shoved it in its file, closing the folder a little more energetically than necessary.

“Do what you think is best, director,” Junsu meekly answered, wanting to finish this meeting now. “I trust your abilities. Please make Dracula a musical no one will ever forget.”

            The director frowned at something above Junsu’s head but then smiled in complicity at the young actor. Gathering the folders in his arms, both men amiably said their goodbyes as they walked to the apartment’s front door. Just as Junsu was about to close the door behind the director’s retreating steps, the older man called out.

            “Kim Junsu!” Jongji  looked at Junsu with something close to a smirk. Junsu felt a little unnerved.

            “Yes, director?”

            “I expect to see you at Chungmu Art  Hall for the girl’s audition,” he simply said. “I can see it will be of interest to you.”

 

            Junsu paused. He tried gauging what the director’s thoughts were, but Cho Jongji’s poker face was as good as a wall. He decided to just nod, and the young actor bowed once again, finally closing the door firmly. The director’s words haunted him, hanging over him like fog.

            “Of interest to me, huh?” Junsu repeated out loud, the words dropping to the cold floor and creeping over its walls, wrapping them in uncertainty. He slowly walked to the table where he had left his phone and dialed a well-known number. The phone rang for what seemed ages and finally Junsu heard someone pick up. Silence issued from the receiver and Junsu knew it was his friend for sure.

 

            “Changmin, it’s Junsu.”  

 

 

 

 

 


Sorry guys it took so long to update, but its already here! Honestly, my friend got a little bit discouraged to write but thanks to our 3 awesome subscribers she got the strength to write again. So thank you ninirosie, serenity2012 and moonjoy, you guys are so sweet! As I'm waiting for my friend to write the 3rd chapter I'm as eager as you for Bera and Junsu's first meet up!

 

btw have you seen jyj's teaser?! my friend and I got a mental breakdown because of these 37 seconds! Go watch it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3s_3uLxYZQ&noredirect=1

 

Lastly, I want to make your day happy with these pics

  

Is this how scary Dracula needs to look? ><

Have a nice day!