Sing Sweetly

Sing Sweetly

Finally, I’m home.

     You fumbled with the keys in your hand and dug them into the keyhole, but with no success. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep you had received throughout the week or the meager lunch you ate earlier that day. Perhaps it was just the incredibly stressful day you had to endure that made you want nothing more than to return home and sleep the day away.
     Whatever the case, your patience was thin, and your body was exhausted. You began jiggling the key furiously, swearing at it to unlock. Suddenly, the door opened, and you were surprised to find yourself face to face with your boyfriend, Sunggyu.

     Sunggyu looked at you with a judging expression. “What the…?”
     “Oh. You’re home early,” you said flatly. You pushed through the door without so much as a thank you, set your bag on the floor, and took off your shoes. Sunggyu locked the door behind you.
     “Nice to see you too,” he mumbled. “What’s wrong?”
     “It’s been a long day,” you sighed and made your way to the bedroom. Sunggyu followed suit, and it was then that you noticed he was already in his pajamas. “When did you get home?”
     “A couple of hours ago. I would’ve come to pick you up, but I didn’t know when you’d be finished.” Sunggyu looked at the floor guiltily, hoping that you wouldn’t figure out that he just wanted to rest. You did figure it out, but weren’t you bothered by his decision. If you had a chance to come home early, you would’ve done the same.
     “Are you going to bed?” he asked.
     “Mm, I’m exhausted.” You slipped out of your clothes and changed into pajamas, aware of Sunggyu’s wandering eyes. “But…”
     “Hm? What?” Sunggyu made an effort to look you in the eyes.
     “Could you do me a favor?” you asked, getting into bed. You pat down the side next to you, and Sunggyu climbed in. The two of you snuggled up as Sunggyu kissed your shoulder.
     “What is it?” he asked, offering his arm as a pillow.
     “Could you sing me a lullaby?”

     Sunggyu fell silent and squeezed your arm. You thought he was trying to think of something to sing, but your expectations were met with a joke instead.
     “Of course, your boyfriend is a singer so you use that to your advantage, huh? I’m your personal jukebox now?”
     “No, of course not,” you smiled, even though he was sort of right. You rubbed your feet against his and gave him a kiss to strengthen your charming effect on him. “Pleeeease?”
     “What if I’m tired too?” he asked, glaring at you as though you had said something wrong.
     “Oh please, you didn’t look that tired when I was changing,” you teased. Sunggyu averted his eyes and slunk back, trying his best to hide a smile. “Besides, I’ve had such a stressful day. If I got to hear your soothing voice before bed, it would make everything better.”
     You tried your best to lay on the sob-story by staring at him with doe eyes. You pouted and cuddled and made sad little whining sounds that you knew both bugged him and made him feel sorry for you at the same time.
     “Fine. But only one.”
     Your enthusiastic cheer that followed startled him.
     “Yah! I thought you said you were exhausted!” laughed Sunggyu. He couldn’t resist tickling you until you begged him to stop.

     The two of you settled back down after a few minutes, and Sunggyu turned off the light on the bedside table.
     “Wait!” You got up to open the window just a crack. The scent of fresh air helped you relax, and you returned to cuddle up in Sunggyu’s arms once more. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. The light scent of Sunggyu’s cologne, deodorant, or whatever he was using, helped calm your nerves down as well. “Okay. You can start.”

     Sunggyu closed his eyes in order to get in the moment, and breathed.

     “Saranghanda mianhada,
     Geurae deoneun andoegesseo,”

     He lovingly caressed your cheek…

     "Nan dagagal jagyeok jocha eobseo,
     Nal saranghaji ma,”

     He traced your lips with his finger…

     Sunggyu continued singing to you softly. There was nothing that relaxed you more than his warm, comforting voice, and within seconds, you were sound asleep. Sunggyu found your vulnerable appearance truly adorable. He hugged your sleeping figure and gently kissed your forehead before falling into his very own dreamland.