Amy and Irene

Forever A Fan
Please log in to read the full chapter

Author’s warning: All names, places, and events are a product of the author’s imagination. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental. Do not copy without author’s permission.

 

*         *         *         *         *         *         *

     Amy has always had a soft spot for antiques. Her own house has been passed on from her great, great grandmother and all the furniture that decorated the house was all antique. She’d buy any antique regardless of the price—money was no objection, anyway—and its history. She’s also very fond of abandoned houses, preferring to stay in one rather than in a hotel while she does her field work for journalism.

     That was until one experience convinced her to think twice about staying in abandoned houses.

     We have to remember that they were abandoned for a reason.

     She was assigned to make a feature article about a quiet, rural area which was famous for its breath-taking beach resort—cheap entrance fee, powder-white fine sand, the crisp wind blowing from the clear blue sea, and its beautiful coral and cave formations for those with the adventurous spirit. Typical Amy opted to stay in an abandoned house for three reasons; 1. It’s near the resort, 2. It has evident Spanish-style architecture which Amy is a die-hard fan of, and 3. It’s abandoned. She rented it for a cheap fee from a begrudging caretaker and Amy began to enjoy her first day in the house.

     She took the time to explore the two-story house, admiring its Spanish features. It looked rather old but the caretaker said that its original residents left the house in 2012 for a reason the caretaker refused to talk about. It bothered Amy but she shrugged it off anyway. What bothered her more was how the original owners could leave such a beautiful house.

     The house had four bedrooms—two master bedrooms and two guest rooms. The kitchen was quaint and the dining area was decorated with furniture completely made of wood. The living room was modern enough yet it retained its original Spanish design.

     For Amy, it was perfect.

     She stayed in one of the master’s bedrooms, which looked like it was owned by a teenaged girl. In the middle, it had a Queen-sized bed with lavender sheets and white pillows with laces framing them and a round, violet, white and black carpet under it; an elegant wardrobe made of mahogany with a mirror on one of its doors; a wooden vanity table with a powder blue table cloth on its main table; a simple bedside table with a simple lamp and a crystal bowl filled with fresh white roses (The caretaker must’ve always put roses in the bowl, Amy thought); shelves filled with books, albums, and several stuffed toys; and lavender-coloured walls that were decorated with posters of various K-Pop groups. Amy could actually recognize some of them—EXO (she covered about their increasing popularity once), Super Junior, Infinite, Sistar, Miss A, and Teen Top, which had the most of the posters.

     “Guess its former owner was a K-Pop fan,” Amy said to herself. She sat on the bed and began to write her to-do list. The room was beautiful enough, but for some reason Amy felt like the people on the posters seem to be staring at her.

     It’s just the feeling of being newly settled in, that’s all, Amy said. She got her pad and paper, went out of the house then began to interview the townsfolk about their town and resort, oblivious to their pity-filled glances and hushed conversations.

     Amy got back to the house just as the sun had set. She had enjoyed a delicious meal in a local restaurant and nothing would complete her day other than a relaxing hot bath. She went to the living room then poked around. The cabinets were full of K-Pop albums, which disappointed Amy since she IS not a fan of K-Pop. With a frown on her face, Amy decided to play EXO’s Mama mini-album since it was the only album songs which she was familiar with. As the first track began to play, Amy went in the bathroom and had a hot soak in the tub.

     Something caught Amy’s attention. Was the player on repeat mode?

     She dried herself up then went to check the player and saw that the repeat button had lit up, indicating it was pressed. Amy vaguely remembered pressing said button but she shrugged then played Teen Top’s No. 1 album while she got dressed. She turned the player off then went to sleep.

     Amy had a hard time sleeping. She tossed and turned and figured out that the posters were making her feel kind of paranoid. Finally, she covered herself with the soft blankets and managed to get some sleep.

     The next day, she woke up and went downstairs for breakfast. She passed by the living room and saw that the various K-Pop albums were scattered on the floor and the television was . The music video of Teen Top’s To You was playing but there was no volume. Puzzled, Amy cleaned up everything then turned the television off. As she cooked some eggs, she wondered who could’ve done all those things, knowing that the caretaker is already in his mid-sixties and couldn’t possibly care about K-Pop. She was very sure that she turned off everything before going to sleep and that she did not watch any K-Pop music

Please log in to read the full chapter