Chapter I

Devil: Fiend or Friend?

“Listen Min Hee, I have something to tell you…” Yunho said nervously.

“Yes? I’m listening,” she replied, the smile on her face reflected her good mood.

“I…” Yunho took a sudden interest in the floor tiles. He was too shy to look at her.

“She won’t accept you. She’s one of the most popular girls in this office. She has many guys after her. She won’t accept you. Don’t even bother.”

“I’m listening?” she said, pressing Yunho to talk.

“Think of all the guys in this office. She’s pretty, tall and has a good body. There are so many people pursuing her. Who are you? Just a mere staff that probably doesn’t get paid as much as she does. She won’t accept you.

“Yes, about that… I have something to tell you…” he repeated, trying hard to ignore the voice he could hear.

“Listen to me. She won’t accept you.”

“Yunho?” she looked at the clock behind Yunho, “I’m kind of running late for my meeting now…”

“She won’t accept you.”

“So maybe we could talk later? I mean…”

“She won’t accept you.”

“SHUT UP!” Yunho shouted suddenly.

Min Hee looked at him with wide eyes, shocked by his sudden raise of voice.

Yunho looked around frantically, looking for the original source of the voice when he suddenly remembered he was going to talk to Min Hee.

“Ah! Min Hee! I didn’t mean to shout! I wasn’t talking to you – no, of course I was talking to you, there’s no one else here…! But I didn’t mean to shout at you, I wasn’t shouting at you –” Yunho slapped himself on his forehead helplessly when he realised what he said did not make sense.

“I think I’ll get going now, I have a meeting to go to.” Min Hee said coldly, apparently hurt by Yunho raising his voice at her.

“No! Min Hee! Listen to me!” Yunho called after her, but she was already walking in quick paces towards lift, and it wasn’t long before she disappeared before his eyes.

Yunho began to curse himself silently, slapping himself mentally and physically when it suddenly came to him. He felt anger rise to his head.

“KIM JAEJOONG! COME OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!” he bellowed, gazing around the room for the sight of him.

“YAH! I SAID COME OUT!” he yelled, getting angrier the longer it took him to appear.

“No need to be so angry,” a voice said just when Yunho was about to shout again. A figure slowly came sight. He was a tall and handsome man who wore a deep V neck jumper which exposed his well built body.

“Kim Jaejoong!” Yunho grabbed him by his collar. “You ruined my life!” he screamed into his face.

“Your life is not ruined yet. You’re still living and breathing, and you have no disabilities. So please care to explain in more depth – it would be nice if you could treat me more formally too, and not like a brother that you have known for years. In other words. Get off me.” he spoke calmly, as if he felt what he did was not wrong in any aspect.

Yunho let go of his collar.

“Now,” Jaejoong fixed his jumper to return it to his original state. “Would you care to explain to me how, and in what way, did I ruin your life?”

Yunho raised his fist, but as if by magic, it froze in midair, just less than an inch from Jaejoong’s face. Yunho tried to move his fist, but could not.

“What have I told you about treating me formally? I didn’t know that throwing a fist at someone is considered formal in your human planet.” He said coolly.

“Unjinx my arm. NOW!” Yunho said through gritted teeth.

“Not if you apologize and admit that you were wrong.” Jaejoong stood firm on his stance.

“WHAT DID I DO THAT WAS WRONG?!” Yunho shouted, with his arm still stuck awkwardly in midair.

“Apologize.” He repeated.

“I said – ” Yunho began.

“It’s going to look really fishy if someone walks in right now and sees you like this. Remember, no one else can see me…” Jaejoong drifted away and slowly disappeared into thin air.

“YAH! COME BACK AND UNJINX ME!” Yunho shouted, though only echoes returned to him in the empty room.

“Unless you apologize.” Jaejoong’s voice echoed coldly back to Yunho.

“Fine. I won’t. Leave me here then.” He replied arrogantly.

“Fine with me. I don’t need to eat, bath, sleep or even go to the toilet. I’m just not so sure if you humans can do that.” Jaejoong started whistling a familiar tune he had heard on the TV a few days ago: Infinite’s Be Mine.

“Fine fine! I’m sorry!” Jaejoong stopped whistling.

“And?” he pressed.

“And you were right. Raising a fist is not formal.” He muttered.

“Of course. I am always correct.” Jaejoong appeared in front of Yunho again and clicked his fingers. Yunho shook his arm, trying to rid it of its pins and needles.

“You beast.” Yunho said.

“Name calling isn’t formal either.” Jaejoong reminded him.

“Why can’t you just leave me alone? Even if it was just for one day!” Yunho complained, clutching his arm.

“I can’t.” Jaejoong drifted said simply. “I’m your devil.”