03. Making History SEOHYEON

Constellation

7th July 2014

The day had finally come for Polaris' music video for their debut song, 'POLARIS', to be revealed to the world. After months of excruiciating dance practices, singing until they lost their voices and constantly re shooting their teasers, July 7th was finally here and their MV was uploaded. 

The six members were sat on the sofa in their dorm, the laptop on the coffee table, watching the views rise and the comments pour in. Their teasers had gone down extremely well and had been released months before debut, which meant that the fans had already mostly picked their biases. Many had been upset and angry to learn that Sigma wouldn't be debuting with their sister group, but understood that SM only wanted the best from the other six girls. 

"Why does YouTube always get stuck on three hundred and one views?" Chaerin groaned, staring at the screen in front of her.

"It's annoying as heck," Gayoon agreed, stealing Jimin's bubble tea and taking a sip. The black-haired member scowled playfully and snatched it back, making a show of wiping the straw clean. Seohyeon held back a snort as she watched the display. Jimin wasn't her favourite person, but she was the main vocalist's room-mate, so she held her feelings back. As far as Jimin knew, the maknae loved her. 

"I'm going to order in some food, does anybody have any preferences, or do I just get a range?" Eunjung called from the kitchen, the phone already in her hand.

"GET ME SOME JJAJJANGMYEON, UNNIE!" Chaerin yelled in an necessarily loud voice, causing the other four girls that were sat beside her to wince; Subin frowned at the brunette.

"Kwon Chaerin, you are entirely too loud,"

"Shh, I want to watch the MV again!" she fired back, waving a hand in the eldest member's direction; the latter rolled her eyes and clicked play, forcing them all to sit through their video again. 

It was odd, Seohyeon thought, watching yourself dance and sing on screen, all dressed up and styled. Even stranger to watch people respond to it almost as soon as it had finished uploading, if she was honest. They honestly hadn't expected so many people to tune in, even though they knew that their debut had been highly anticipated. 

There was a knock at the door halfway through their fourth time watching the music video ("What's wrong with adding to the views ourselves?" Chaerin had demanded, daring someone to contradict her.) and the six girls looked at each other, wondering who it could be. Finally, Eunjung sighed and hauled herself off the sofa, shoving Subin and Gayoon aside as she rose.

"Are you going to let us in or are the sasaengs going to find us out here and spread indecent rumours?!" a voice demanded from the outside and Seohyeon grinned as the leader flung the door open.

"Yah, Byun Baekhyun, would you mind keeping your voice down?" she whisper-shouted to the lead vocalist of EXO-K as she ushered them inside the dorm like a mom. "Some of us are trying to watch our own MV in here!"

"We know," Suho explained as he shut the door behind him. "That's why we're here. We thought you'd like to celebrate with us! And since you obviously can't come to the EXO dorm because of the fans, we thought we'd come here instead. We bought food and drink-"

"Don't worry, I supplied my own chicken," Kai interrupted, smirking at the members in turn.

"Ah that's nice and everything, but we already ordered celebratory jjajjangmyeon," Seohyeon put in, blunt as ever. 

"Maknae!" Subin frowned, whacking the youngest over the top of the head with a rolled up magazine from the coffee table.  "Don't be rude, omo, how many times do I need to tell you?"

"Sorry," the lead dancer said immediately, ducking her head causing her fringe to fall into her eyes. She was used to having to apologising for nearly everything she said after being around Subin and Eunjung. Really, the two were made from the same cloth when it came to disciplining the maknae.

"Well, you'll just have to box it up and eat it tomorrow." Baekhyun said as he dumped the bag of food into D.O's arms, ushering him through into the kitchen. The vocalist glared at with the force of a thousand suns as he carted the meal into the room.

Eunjung gestured towards the sofa by way of offering the six men a seat (although how twelve people were meant to fit in front of one laptop, Seohyeon didn't know) while Kyungsoo bumped and banged in the small kitchen. By the time he was done and had arrived with pate upon plate of delicious looking food, the only place for him to sit was on the arm of the sofa next to Eunjung, who was wedged in beside Gayoon. He said nothing, but Seohyeon watched as he rolled his eyes and passed around the plates, perching next to the leader.

Seohyeon herself was sat on the floor, Kai to her right, knee somehow twisted around the coffee table leg - there really wasn't room for twelve people in Polaris' sitting room. She was quite friendly with Jongin, having trained with him pre-debut. Each of the members of Polaris had been paired up with a member of EXO for training purposes, which meant that they were quite close to the idols. Some of the fans didn't like it, but there you go; you couldn't please everyone. Eunjung had been practicing her vocals with D.O, Chaerin with Chen (she had firmly turned down the offer of partnering with Baekhyun as the two didn't get on that well. The rest didn't really understand why, but Seohyeon supposed that people who were too alike didn't get along). Gayoon had instead spent the few weeks with Baekhyun, while Jimin worked with Suho. Subin had, of course, hung out with Chanyeol, seeing as they were both lead rappers, and the rest of the girls had seen the eldest member really come out of her shell.

"So how many views are you at now?" D.O asked, attempting to balance on the arm of the sofa; Jimin leaned forward to check. 

"Woah - three hundred thousand! It's only been up three hours!"

There was a chorus of cheers and surprised laughter as they all craned their necks to look at the figure. Eunjung was the only one who didn't move - Seohyeon strongly suspected that her leader had frozen from shock.

"Well done! Yah, we're so proud of you guys! You know, we have yet to watch it all the way through," Suho congratulated, clapping his hands a little. 

"Oh, well - I suppose we could watch it one more time. Just for EXO-K," Chaerin teased, pressing the play button. Immediately, everybody became quiet to allow their six sunbaenims to take in the debut. When it was finished, Polaris looked worriedly from one member to the other, awaiting their verdict.

"Looks like my words of wisdom paid off," D.O said first, ruffling Eunjung's hair. "Your high note was impressive-"

"SUBIN, YOUR RAP WAS GREAT!" Chanyeol interrupted, hugging the oldest member, who struggled to throw him off. 

"You were ALL amazing, well done!" Suho corrected, smiling at the girls.

"I mean, I guess you danced pretty well," Kai muttered to Seohyeon, smirking. "Maybe. Can't imagine how good your instructor must have been at dance, though."

Seohyeon snorted. "I thought he was a bit full of himself, actually. Talented, though," she allowed when Jongin spluttered.

"How about we go visit Sigma at the common room?" Eunjung suggested as she piled the empty plates on the coffee table, closing the laptop. "They said they wanted us to drop in at some point, and it wouldn't be as awkward with EXO there."

"Good idea, Jungie," Chaerin praised, standing with some difficulty (she had been stuck between Baekhyun, much to her disgust, and Jimin). "Let's take the laptop so we can check up on the views, too!"

With that, the twelve idols gathered their belongings and made their way towards the door. As Seohyeon shut the door, she smiled to herself. If this was how it would be every time they had a release, she thought that she would always love being in Polaris.