4-

Falling Fast

Over the next few days, Yoona ignored all of Luhan’s calls. She barely knew why; it wasn’t like her to make such a big fuss over such a small matter. In fact, she should have already been used to Luhan and his forgetful ways.

But it wasn’t just that. Yoona knew it had something to do with Oh Sehun, the tall blond male who had suddenly taken up such a large space in her normally organised life.

He was so intimidating and strange; sometimes he acted like a cold stranger, other times he would smile and act like a friend. The short time she had spent alone with him had even been memorable to Yoona. She was intrigued by him, more than anything. It was impossible that she had developed feelings for him… wasn’t it?

Yoona tried to force the ridiculous idea out of her head, and focused on her situation with Luhan instead. What Sooyoung had pointed out was true; he was being a little bit of a jerk (although she would never admit it to anyone), and it was time she confronted him about it. Face to face.

And that was how Yoona found herself standing in front of Luhan’s office building the next Friday afternoon. She entered the building nervously, and asked the front desk for directions to his office. Yoona had never been to Luhan’s office before, strangely.

Yoona felt nervous as she walked down a long hallway with offices on either side. In her shorts and striped singlet, she felt out of place and awkward. She had rushed out the house to catch the subway, and hadn’t had time to choose a more fashionable outfit. Finally, Yona arrived at Luhan’s office, and with an anxious feeling in her stomach, she knocked on his door.

“Come in!” Yoona’s stomach twisted at the sound of her boyfriend’s familiar voice, and she wondered why she felt so nervous to be meeting him. She hadn’t seen Luhan for a week, and without a doubt, she missed him. She pushed opened the door and entered his office.

Luhan sat at a large desk on which sheets of paper were scattered. He looked more serious than ever, in a stylish suit and glasses. His hair was brushed forward in a businessman style; Luhan was unrecognisable. There were framed photographs on his desk, and even from afar Yoona could recognise with delight that most of them were photos of her and Luhan.

He was studying a folder, but placed it down when he saw Yoona. “Oh, Yoong-ah!” His face brightened, and Luhan stood up eagerly to meet her. He walked around his desk and Yoona rushed forward to crash into a hug. Luhan laughed and his hands hugged her tightly to his chest. “What are you doing here Yoongie?” His tone was surprised, but he didn’t sound angry like she had dreaded. His chest vibrated against her ear as he chuckled.

They separated, and Yoona frowned up at him. “Luhannie, I missed you. I’m sorry for not answering your calls.”

Luhan smiled slightly, and took off his glasses. Without them, he looked more familiar, like the boyfriend she knew. “I forgive you. It’s alright, I was at the office for the past few days anyway. I called you to make sure you were alright.”

Now, Yoona noticed a suitcase in the corner of the office, filled with wrinkled clothes and a toothbrush. Obviously he had been sleeping in his office for days. She pouted up at Luhan, folding her arms. “Don’t you have anything you want to say… to me?” She cleared .

Luhan looked confused. “Say…what?” Yoona narrowed her eyes. “Luhan, you left in the middle of dinner the other day, and then the day after that you let down Sehun and I again!” She said disbelievingly.

“Ahh.” Luhan smiled, shrugging. “Sorry, I was so caught up with work. You won’t believe how much I have to get through-“

Yoona interrupted, “Then you shouldn’t have suggested dinner in the first place!”

Luhan sighed. “Yoong, you know I didn’t do it on purpose. Something came up okay?”

Yoona was starting to become annoyed. “No, its not okay, Luhan! Sehun was there too you know?” Luhan frowned, and immediately Yoona felt guilty. She and Luhan had never been in an argument before, and now they were having a pointless fight, in his office of all places. And she had brought up Sehun, which made her stomach squirm uneasily. What was wrong with her?  

Luhan stared at Yoona, his face dark. She had never seen him with an angry expression; she was so used to the kind, gentle Luhan that he almost scared her. Yoona took a step back, nervously.

“I’m sorry, I have a lot of work to finish. Yoong, could you leave?” Luhan said quietly. Yoona trembled, feeling as if he had slapped her. I’m sorry, Luhannie. She nodded without a word and turned to leave the office.

He grabbed her wrist swiftly. Yoona turned around, surprised to see him smiling slightly. “Wait. Let’s not argue. How about I make it up to you? We could go on a trip somewhere? Let’s go to Jeju Island.”

Luhan gave her a strained smile, as if pleading her to calm down. Yoona felt a rush of sympathy for him, and suddenly decided to please him. She beamed back at him, nodding as if she was enthusiastic about the idea. “Oh, that’s a great idea Luhannie! Yes, let’s go soon.”

Luhan looked relieved, and he loosened his grip on Yoona’s wrist.

 “But… Sehun should come along as well!” Yoona blurted out. She regretted the words as soon as they had left her lips. She had spoken without thinking, on impulse, and it was something stupid to suggest. Sehun? On their trip? She scolded herself inwardly, but stared up at Luhan with big eyes to watch his reaction.

He looked surprised, as expected, but also happy. Of course he would be; Sehun was his best mate. “Of course,” he grinned, but his eyes were confused, “Why?”

Yoona laughed uneasily. “Oh, you know. It’s that time of the year. I feel sorry for him, he looks so moody lately. A trip with us would be good for him!” She cringed at her own words. They sounded fake, even to her own ears. But Luhan seemed to believe her, and he took them the way she had hoped he would. “Oh, Yoong-ah, you’re so thoughtful.” He chuckled and leaned forward to hug her briefly. Yoona leaned into him, sighing. Great, just great.

Luhan leaned back and observed her happily. “I’ll call him and let him know. And I won’t take no for an answer.” His eyes twinkled, and his hands rested warmly on Yoona’s shoulders. She felt guilty, but for what reason she wasn’t sure.

 

Sooyoung sighed again and glanced over at her best friend for the thousandth time. Yoona seemed troubled and lost in thought as she stared into a bowl of dumplings, chopsticks held in her hand.

“Yah, Im Yoona, are you going to eat those dumplings? They smell so good.” Sooyoung tried to make a joke to lighten the atmosphere, but Yoona didn’t even acknowledge her. Sooyoung rolled her eyes, shifting her position on the couch. There was definitely something on Yoona’s mind, and she wouldn’t let it rest.

“IM YOONA!”

Yoona raised her eyes, blinking slowly. “Huh?” She looked at Sooyoung, perched on the couch opposite her. She had a curious look on her face, and she sighed at Yoona. “I was asking, are you going to eat that.” She pointed at the bowl of steaming dumplings.

Yoona blinked. “Ah. No, you can have it.” She placed the bowl on the table between them and leaned back on the couch, blowing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

As Sooyoung reached down for the bowl, she noticed her friend smiling slightly, then frowning, and wondered what exactly was going on inside her head

 

That night Luhan texted her, saying Sehun had said yes to the trip. Yoona had almost hoped he had rejected the offer; she knew how awkward it would be for her if he went. At the same time, she knew it would be interesting if he came along. Yoona barely knew why she was so nervous about him coming. But it was too late now to take back her words, and Sehun would be coming with them to Jeju Island that week.

Good ^^ keke I can’t wait, Yoona texted back, hoping she sounded like she really meant it. It would only be for a few days anyway right? Nothing to be so worked up over... Yoona threw her phone onto her pillow and lay down on her bed, sighing.