Fleeting Memories

Fleeting Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song: http://youtu.be/TrG3mPhrlJ4 

 

"Mia...Mia...you can open your eyes now." A soothing voice said into my ear.

I opened my eyes.

I was standing in the field where we went on our first date. The hills were a lush green with multicolored flowers dancing in the soft breeze. I felt the warm sun warm my face and the wind tease through my curls. It's so perfect outside. I smiled and looked up at the tall man wrapping his arms around my waist.

"What do you think?" He asked, smiling. I poked his dimple.

"I love it." I responded with happiness. He laughed softly.

"Good, because for our two-year anniversary, I wanted to do something extra special." Yixing said, kissing my cheek affectionately and taking my hand into his. We began walking through the field together. I removed my white ballet flats, letting the grass tickle my bare feet.

"Is that why you told me to dress up a little?" I asked, swinging our interlocked hands back and forth. I looked down at my strapless peach colored dress and the shoes in my other hand. He laughed.

"Maybe..." He said, grinning. He looked very handsome in his white v neck short sleeved shirt and nice pair of jeans and sneakers. We continued to walk along until I noticed something in the distance. A tall tree all decorated with something underneath.

"Is that...?" I asked in disbelief. He looked down at me and smiled. He nodded and I squealed. I can't believe he remembered. I ran over to the tree just in case if he was lying.

He wasn't lying. There, in the bark, was our names, framed around a carved heart, along with the date when he first asked me to be his...June 12, 2011. We had carved the first year underneath, 2012.

"Do you remember that year?" He asked, catching up to me.

"Of course..." I said, touching the rough bark. "It was our first anniversary...and you carved our names into the tree." I smiled, pleased at my memory. "And you helped me carve the heart. And then we put the official date you asked me to be your girlfriend, and then we randomly added 2012 because it signified that we were still together." I laughed.

He handed me a carving knife. "Are you ready to put this year?"

"Seriously? You trust me with a knife?" I teased.

"Okay, okay, I'll help." He winked, wrapping his hand around mine as his other hand placed the carving knife in my hand. Together we slowly cut into the strong bark and etched in underneath last year's date June 12, 2013.

"I can't believe we're still together...it doesn't seem like that long..." I murmured as he helped me etch in the last number.

"Do you remember when we first met?" He asked. I nodded.

"Yeah...it was super awkward..." I blushed. He kissed my forehead.

"It wasn't too terrible..."

"Yes it was!" I blushed even redder. He laughed. "I completely ran into you while visiting my mom at the asylum!"

"Hey now, it's not an asylum." Yixing said, bending down and tweaking my nose with his fingers. "It's my dad's mental instiution."

"Yes yes, I know, 'Dr. Zhang's Mental Instiution.'" I put air quotes around the name. "I didn't want anyone seeing how depressed I was that mom still couldn't remember me..."

"I saw you crying, and I thought you were pretty, so naturally I had to help a damsel in distress." Yixing smiled cheekily. "Meeting you was my favorite accident." I rolled my eyes and playfully pushed him away.

It had been a depressing day. My mom was diagnosed with early memory loss and just kept getting worse and worse until dad just had to put her away to an asyl----uhh....mental institution. Of course I went to visit her as often as I could, but each time it was more disappointing than the previous visit. She mistook me for her sister or mother more often than her own daughter, and on multiple occasions forgot she was even married to anyone.

That day she thought I was one of the nurses and actually pitched a fit and threw her lunch at me. She told me to leave or she'd throw more stuff. I ran out of the room, trying not to let people see me cry, and ran into the incredibly attractive Zhang Yixing. Literally...ran into him...plates went flying and so did food. The patients watching laughed their heads off as we both stammered apologies and cleaned up the mess we had made. I was so upset and embarrassed I sat down outside because I couldn't face the laughter again and I had to watch for my dad. Yixing somehow found me outside and sat down next to me, asking me what was wrong. By then I was a sobbing mess and I just cried on his shoulder and didn't say anything. Even though I didn't say anything he gave me his number, and said encouraging things to me to get me to stop crying. At least I was able to say my name to him before dad came and picked me up.

"I'm glad you found me." I said shyly, rising up on my toes so I could kiss his cheek.

After he gave me his number I called him to thank him for cheering me up and he automatically asked when I was coming back to the institution. I confessed that I really didn't want to anymore because of the bad incident. He encouraged me to not give up on my mom, because no matter what, she was family. This went on for maybe two or three months, so I got to know him very well. Eventually I agreed and went back to the institution to try again. This time my mom was more accepting and even remembered places I had been with her. I was so thankful and told Yixing the exciting news. That's when he told me that he wanted to take me somewhere. He took my hand and we had walked a ways from the instiution until we came across the fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter