Welcome to Hotel Jiog

Hotel Jiog

Welcome to the Hotel Jiog…

You can check out whenever you want

But you can never leave

 

Another bottle of tequila hits the ground. I stare up at the sky, my eyes blurry from all the narcotics I took. Why did I turn out like this? Maybe because I have no recollection of who I am? I just woke up in a forest, with no i.d or anything. There were no missing person reports. But I did have a criminal record, they called me Ravi...They said that it was my street name, that they couldn’t find out what my real name was. I lean against my bedroom wall, staring out in front of me. The paper on the wall’s peeling ever so slightly. My room is only lit by the moonlight. Another crappy day in a crappy life. I walk around in my small apartment. It was the only place that was available… also the only place I could afford with my crappy waitress salary. I hated waiting tables, I hated the stares I got from people. The muffled whispers as people saw me walk their way.

 

“There goes Ravi, I heard she worked for the mafia…”

“That’s Ravi, I heard she killed a man…”

“Did you know she was wearing a wedding dress when they found her?”

 

I don’t know if any of those whispers were true… except for the whisper about me wearing a wedding dress. When I was found in the forest by a hunter, I was wearing a torn up and bloodied wedding dress. I’ve tried to remember what happened, I try to remember if I was going to marry someone… but nothing. The doctor who treated me, said that I was lucky to be alive, I had bullet wounds, cuts all over my body, and a concussion. He said that the trauma to my head had caused my memory loss, but if someone could take me through what had happened that I might be able to recover my memories… but no one ever came to claim me as a long lost family member or lover or friend. I have no one…

 

There’s a knock on my room door, and then someone slides a card underneath it. I stagger toward it, and open the card.

 

“You are hereby invited to

Jiwon and Kenny’s wedding”

 

“Who the hell is this?”

There’s a note attached to the card.

 

“Unnie… I know we haven’t seen each other, but please come to Hotel Jiog to celebrate my wedding”

 

That was the first I had heard of this “little sister” of mine.

 

There’s no way I’m not going. Someone is going to explain what happened to me. I toss some clothes into a bag, and grab hold of anything that I might need during my trip. I rush down the stairs, taking them two at a time. I reach the front door of the apartment building, my eyes searching for my car. I sigh loudly as I see my car, an old beat up scrap yard special car stood there in the parking lot. The black paint peeling on the bonnet, it was scratched and dented almost everywhere. Still it served its purpose taking me to my destinations.

 

The night sky hangs gloomily over my head as rain drops pelt against my windscreen, while I speed toward my destination. The road is only lit by my headlights, which seem to be growing fainter and fainter. My car battery must be losing juice. I need to find a gas station as fast as possible if I want to make it for the wedding reception on time. I need to ask my little sister what happened to me, and why no-one ever came looking for me. Why was I in the middle of the forest, badly hurt and wearing what appeared to be a wedding dress? Most importantly why didn’t she ever come to me if she knew where I was?

 

I notice some movement in the corner of my eye, and before I can even react something - no someone runs in front of my car. I slam down on the breaks, but to no avail, I hit him with my car, and my car swerves out of control. It slams against the barrier, the sound of metal scratching against metal rings through my ears. Shattered glass scatters around me as I’m flung against the passenger door.

 

Gasping I sit upright, my eyes darting toward where the person was. I fling my door open, and stagger out of the car. A searing pain shoots through my abdomen - I must have cracked a rib. I feel blood trickle down my forehead, and gingerly I wipe it out of my eyes. I’ve dealt with pain before, so I guess I’m immune to it by now. I mean it still hurts, but I can still work through the pain. With my hand clutched over my ribs, I limp toward the figure on the ground.

“H-hey, are you… okay?” I call out shakily.

 

Was he okay? I’m pretty sure that nobody would be okay, after a car going 120 km p/h hits them. . How am I going to explain this to the cops? My priors won’t exactly help me in the whole pleading innocent case either. Maybe I can play the whole amnesiac thing? I mean you can’t help but feel sorry for someone who has no recollection of who she is.

 

I inch closer to the figure – it was a man. He has black hair, his fringe dangling over his eye, hiding it from sight. There are shattered pieces of glass stuck in his arm… but that glass couldn’t be from my car… I lean forward, my curiosity winning over the stabbing pain in my ribs. Actually it looks like the glass was slammed into his skin… there are stitches across his arms, going up under his torn shirt. What happened to this guy? I touch his face and there’s a strange sensation in my chest. Why does it feel like I know him? I’m filled with a panicked feeling, I know him. But I’ve never seen him before…

 

I pull my phone out of my pocket, my hands shakily dialling the emergency numbers. But… there’s no signal. I cry out in frustration. I can’t let this guy die, I have to help him. I look around, maybe there’s a place I can take him, but where am I exactly? There were only trees and dirt surrounding us. Everything was illuminated by an eerie red light which came from the – wait, where did that hotel come from? I could’ve sworn there was nothing there a few minutes ago. Maybe it was the sleep deficiency taking its toll on me?

 

I can’t seem to peel my eyes away from the hotel. The red light seems to beckon me closer, and I cannot help but comply.  It’s as if my limbs start to move by themselves, as if I had no control over my own body. I hear the man whisper faintly behind me.

“Don’t… W-wonshik”

I stop dead in my tracks. He knows my name? I turn back to the man, my mind finally starting to work again. I have to take him inside, maybe someone there can help him.

 

I sling his arm over my shoulder and pull him up.

“Hang on, I’ll get you help, okay?” I whisper comfortingly.

He was heavier than I anticipated and treating him with great care made him feel even heavier. How is he not dead? It’s not like I wanted him to die, I’m beyond grateful that he survived, but no normal human would have survived that impact. It’s just not possible.

“S…t…o…p” The man breathes.

What was his deal?

“Please don’t” He begs, his voice is strained and laced with pain.

Doesn’t he understand that I’m helping him? We reach the humungous double mahogany door, and I ring the buzzer. Please hurry up, I pray softly.

 

The door swings open and I’m welcomed by a sweet syrup scent, the entire hotel is filled with such warmth. A soft melody emanates somewhere from inside, it relaxes me and makes me feel content. The white tiled floor sparkles brilliantly. The chandeliers cling musically as a light breeze flicks past it. This place is so beautiful. A man hops to my side, pulling the now unconscious man off of my shoulder.

“Welcome to Hotel Jiog” The man greets brightly.

He wore a velvet suite, with a black bow tie. His black hair was neatly cropped short and most of it was hidden beneath his clerk’s hat. His eyes were a light grey colour which sparkled brilliantly as he smiled at me. His teeth were whiter than I thought possible, and everything about him seemed to be perfect. I look at where his name tag should be… but there doesn’t seem to be one, maybe this hotel doesn’t have the name tag policy?

“Please do sit down, and I will tend to your friend” He motions me toward the red ottoman.

I shake my head, but my eyes still wander around my surroundings. This place feels so… familiar. I feel as if nothing else in the world even mattered, like all my worries had just vanished. Like I’m supposed to be here. Why do I feel like this? It doesn’t matter, I have to help this man. I glance one more time at the fireplace, my heart hurting slightly. My head tells me that I don’t know this place, but my heart… it knows this place.

 

“I’ll go with him” I decide.

The clerk nods, his face slightly pulled into annoyance. Maybe he didn’t want the hassle of taking me along to… where ever he is going? I keep on whispering comforting words to the man, trying to make him feel at ease, even though he was trying to break away from the clerk.

 

“M’am, would you like a beverage?” A maid asks, as we pass her by.

She was wearing, what seemed to almost be a French maid outfit, the hem of the dress reached down to her knees, her beautiful golden hair was neatly pulled over one shoulder. Her turquoise eyes watched me so intently, as if she was reading my thoughts.

“You had a rough accident, you should take something” The clerk comments.

I could’ve sworn that the maid and clerk just exchanged looks… was it just my imagination? The maid hands me a cold glass of water, I take a sip, and I immediately feel better.

“We really have to help him” I whisper.

Why was he just hanging around while that man is dying in his arms? Actually why didn’t anyone seem bothered by it? The clerk nods, and starts walking again, I start to follow him but I lose my balance and the glass plummets to the floor, shattering in thousands of tiny shards.

“Go on ahead, I’ll be right behind you” I tell the clerk.

 I yawn loudly, I didn’t think I was this tired. I get up but my legs start to wobble beneath me and I slide down against the corridor wall. The velvet walls seem to be even brighter than I remember. The maid kneels down beside me. Her golden hair curtains her face and her fringe falls into her eyes. She smiles satisfactory at me.

“I do hope you enjoy your stay at Hotel Jiog” She whispers.

My body relaxes, my mind goes blank, and soon I’m caught up in my dream world.

 

“Run!” The man yells at me.

I turn to face him, it was the man I hit with my car. His eyes were filled with fear, his hands grabbed at me frantically.

“Please, you have to get out of here!”

 

I shoot forward, my hair plastered against my face. My bed covers wet with my sweat. It was just a dream… or was it a memory? How did that man know my name? Could he possibly know what happened to me?

 

Gingerly I tap the ground with my foot. My eyes become accustomed to the darkness of the room. What time was it? How long was I asleep? I walk toward the door, when I’m stopped by my reflection in the mirror. My pixie style black hair clung to my sweaty face, my coal black eyes seemed dim and lifeless, the golden specks barely noticeable – nothing new there I guess. There were dark circles underneath my eyes, it gave me the feel of a panda. My skin was bleaker than usual, and I looked so skinny, but the most upsetting part was that I was wearing a night gown. I can’t remember wearing this… nor did I have this in my suitcase. I turn around and inspect the room. The dark mahogany bed heading stood out so clearly against the red velvet walls, my light grey bed covers were crumpled up and my suitcase… was empty? I move toward the dresser.

 

Did they unpack my suitcase? Did they dress me as well? A cold chill runs up my spine. What kind of place is this exactly? I open the dresser, and none of the clothes are mine. The clothes seemed too girly for what I would wear, the clothes were definitely too showy for my taste, and I could never pull them off with the collection of scars I have on my body.

“G’morning m’am” The maid from last night greets.

I jump, and spin to face her. Where the hell did she come from?

“I took the liberty of restocking your dresser”

I turn my eyes back to the dresser.

“I’m sorry, but I should go” I whisper.

Something felt so off about this place.

“Oh no m’am, but we have such big plans for you”

My eyes widen. Plans for me? What did she mean by that?

“And we still have the banquet, surely you won’t let all my hard work on your dress be in vain”

 

I look around the room, searching for some sort of answer. She touches my shoulder, her blonde hair lightly brushing against my arm as she gets closer to me.

“Or don’t you want to know what happened to you?

My eyes widen, and my mouth becomes dry… Am I going insane? I shake my head.

“Of course I want to know” I smile at the maid.

I have no idea what is going on here, but something feels so wrong. I have to leave. No matter what after the banquet I’m leaving.

 

I tried to find the man I hit with the car – but they informed me that he was going to be fine, and that he was just resting. They called him Hongbin. I asked them if they shouldn’t take him to a hospital, but they reassured me that it was not necessary, that there was a doctor staying here… I can’t help but feel like there’s something more than they’re letting on.

 

I pace around in my room. I wanted to stay in the lobby, but they wouldn’t allow me to, they said that I can’t see the preparations for the banquet. I tried to find my car keys, but it seems like the desk clerk has them. I can’t even find my clothes. What is going on? I haven’t met any of the other guests yet, and that has led me to question whether there are any guests at all. I kneel down beside my bed, and search through the bedside table drawers. My hand closes around a thick midnight blue diary. I blow the dust off of it, and page through it… there were a bunch of entries in the book…  They all seemed somewhat familiar… I guess it must be De Javu? The book looks used, I wonder how old it is?

 

I might as well read what the previous guests thought about this place, and this will help me pass the time.

 

Day one:

 

I can’t believe I’m finally here! My love really out did himself this time. To think soon I’ll be able to call myself his wife. I really can’t describe my happiness in words. I hope everything will go as planned; I can’t handle one screw up on my wedding day!

 

PS: It seems that the only colour scheme here is velvet, what’s up with that?

 

Huh, it seems it was a happy bride who stayed here. Her life seems so perfect compared to mine. I wonder if she is happily married.