Part Two

Red

Why was his head ringing as if someone was stomping around in it? Youngjae groaned and tried to sit up. He needed to get something for this headache. It must have been late in the night still since it was so dark. He was trying to be mindful of Jaebum who was probably still asleep next to him.

                It didn’t take long for him to notice he did not have a blanket, or a pillow, or a bed even…

                But there was a body next to him.

                All at once it was as if Youngjae’s vision cleared. He wasn’t in bed, back in the dorm, he was in the horrible place still. The wooden floor beneath him was hard and cold, and the scent of blood was keen in the air. His vision continued to focus with the dim candle light in the room until he could see reasonably well.

                With that clearing of vision though came the all too clear reality of his situation. Youngjae began to feel as if he would hyperventilate, his breath coming out in short quick gasps. His heart raced faster and faster, the sound of it pounding in his head and expounding on the pain already there. Where were the others? How did he get left behind? Why did they leave him behind?!

                “Hyung!” He cried out frantically, just hoping one of them was nearby, and scrambled up to his feet, “Yugyeom!” His feet hit the body he’d momentarily forgotten was next to him. With a sharp cry Youngjae fell over, barely catching himself before hitting his face into a puddle of blood, though some of it splashed up onto his face, cold and smelling of copper.

                Slowly he turned over, trying to be mindful of the blood, and spared a look at the body.

                “No…NO!” His arms gave way behind him and he fell to his back for moment before he scrambled backwards away from the corpse of Jackson.

                The older boy was literally ripped in half down the midsection, his face frozen in horror. Youngjae choked out another cry at the sight of him. All the blood around him was from Jackson. He was in the room with him, the one they’d all so desperately tried to escape. He could still see the grate Yugyeom had torn off and thrown to the floor.

                “Jack-Jackson…no…!”

                How had he gotten back here? Where was everyone else?!

                “Jinyoung! Mark!” He choked out, still unable to look away from Jackson’s dead gaze, “Yugyeom!!”

                A light, airy voice giggled at him. From a dark corner, farthest away from him, something moved. A pale hand, from the shadows, emerged, blood dripping from her fingers. Her giggles continued as the shadow moved and expanded as if to take over the room.

                Youngjae turned and got to his feet, slipping on the blood as he went. She was whispering to him, telling to come back, to come play some more, like his friend…

                Out the door, Youngjae ran as fast as he could down the corridor. He was shouting for someone, anyone. Where were they?! Why was he alone?!

                “Hyung-!” He shouted only to turn a corner and run headlong into another body. Youngjae fell backwards, but someone caught him by the arm and yanked him back up.

                “Eh? Jaebum-hyung!” He cried in relief, throwing his arms around the older male. Jaebum awkwardly returned the embrace before stepping back to inspect him.

                “You’re bleeding!”

                “No! No its not mine!” Youngjae was babbling, speaking so quickly and incoherently he was certain Jaebum had no idea what he was saying, “It doesn’t matter! We have to run! The others are-!”

                “Slow down.” He said gently, trying to calm the younger vocalist down, “The others? You know where they’re at?”

                “I don’t! They left me! Jackson and Bambam are…are…! Hyung we have to go!” He pleaded desperately with Jaebum, pulling his arm in an attempt to make him move. Jaebum didn’t budge though, instead looking beyond Youngjae down the corridor.

                “There’s nothing there. It’s okay,” he tried to reassure the younger boy, “I’m here. It’s okay,” Youngjae finally stopped trying to pull Jaebum along. Again, he was feeling light headed and feint again, the pounding in his head returning now that his adrenaline was gone. Everything felt like it was spinning and Youngjae began to fall again.

                Jaebum caught him in his arms before he hit the ground, frantically asking him if he was okay. Youngjae really couldn’t focus. Everything was wrong, so, so wrong. The pain in his head just kept getting stronger.

                “Alright, up we go,” Youngjae felt him get pulled up onto Jaebum’s back until he was being carried piggy back style, “we’ll find the others and get out of here. Just hang on.”

                Youngjae could only nod minutely, hanging onto Jaebum tightly. He was afraid if he loosened up either:  1. Jaebum would vanish like the others, or 2. He’d fall to the floor again. He didn’t think he could walk on his own at the moment.

                “Don’t let the girl catch us…”

                “She won’t,” He tried to reassure him.

                As they walked, Jaebum called out to the other members, sans Jackson and Bambam. The pain in Youngjae’s head began to fade until he was able to focus once again. It really seemed like they were in a building of endless halls and doors. The floating candles gave just enough light for them to see, but not enough to view the ends of the halls, even if there was an end.

                “Do you remember how you got here, hyung?”

                “I woke up and heard someone screaming. I ran around trying to find all of you, but then it went quiet,” he spoke evenly, pausing to peek into one of the windows on a door before proceeding, “it wasn’t until I heard you that I came running.”

                “Ah,” Youngjae glanced down and frowned. The blood on his clothing was soaking through to Jaebum’s back and leaving a trail behind them, “hyung let me down. I think I can walk now.”

                “You’re not all that heavy. I’ll carry you a little bit longer,” he responded, “we don’t want anything happening to you like Bambam or Jackson,” Youngjae tensed at their names, “I saw…what happened to Bambam. I wonder if it was him I was hearing,” Jaebum continued, his pace slowing just a little.

                “You…saw?”

                “In one of the rooms,” Jaebum finally stopped, “it was…horrible,” his voice had become incredibly quiet, and Youngjae swore his hyung was shaking, “we won’t let that happen to anyone else. We’ll get out of here. Think you can walk now?”

                “Uh…yeah,” Youngjae was put back onto his feet, and immediately he felt unsteady. He leaned against the wall, breathing heavily. By chance, he was staring at the ground and realized something. Even though he was covered in Jackson’s blood, it stuck to him. Even where his feet touched the floor nothing tracked.

                “We don’t want the others to die like Jackson either,” Youngjae felt his head spinning again upon hearing Jaebum’s all too quiet voice, “split in half in such a mess…”

                “H-Hyung,” Youngjae stammered, beginning to back away from Jaebum, using the wall to support himself, “How…how could you know that?” He watched as Jaebum’s shoulders shook, as if he were laughing. Youngjae then caught sight of the drops of blood dripping off of Jaebum. The leader turned to look at Youngjae.

                In Youngjae’s panic he’d missed it. The entire front of Jaebum was covered in blood. His hands were still dripping the red droplets onto the wooden floor. Tucked into his belt was a large knife, the handle also covered in blood. He took one step towards Youngjae who tried to run only to fall over, the world spinning again as the ringing started once more.

                “You see? You fight it and it hurts. Youngjae-ah,” Jaebum squatted in front of him, “hyung will make sure to finish this. You can wait here.”

                “Youngjae-hyung!” A familiar voice called out, “Hyung!”

                To his horror, Yugyeom appeared in his sight. He tried to tell him to run, but his voice seemed to catch in his throat. Instead Youngjae forced himself to his feet to try and grab Jaebum but the leader had already turned to greet the approaching Yugyeom.

                “Hyung!” He smiled in relief only to have it replaced by a look of concern, “Are you okay? You found each other! We turned and Youngjae-hyung was gone, and then Jinyoung and Mark-hyungs went missing so I-“

                “Run!” Youngjae finally managed to cry out.

                The youngest looked genuinely surprised until he realized Jaebum had a knife in his hand. Jaebum looked ready to pounce, and Youngjae pushed himself off the wall at him. He grappled Jaebum around the waist, shouting for Yugyeom to run again. Jaebum cursed and shouted, trying to twist out of Youngjae’s hold. Fed up, he raised his arm and brought his elbow hard down on Youngjae’s face. He cried out in pain and felt Jaebum get out of his grip. Jaebum turned a gaze burning with something beyond hate at Youngjae and raised the blade, ready to strike his prone form.

                He never did.

                Yugyeom shouted at Jaebum and the leader turned in time for him to tackle him to the ground. Jaebum was cursing and shouting a storm at the youngest, who was trying to get the knife away from him. Youngjae managed to get back up, aiming to join them, when he heard a sharp and sudden cry from Yugyeom. The youngest staggered to his feet, away from Jaebum, clutching his chest.

                Handle deep in his chest was the knife.

                “Yugyeom!” Youngjae rushed to catch him before he could fall forward onto the blade, “Yugyeom! No!” The younger boy was gasping, blooding sputtering out of his mouth as he tried to breath.

                “Tsk,” Jaebum was now back on his feet, wiping his bloody hands on his already bloody clothing, “at least that was easier than Jackson.”

                “YugyeomYugyeomYugyeom!” Youngjae was crying out, trying to haul the other boy away with him from Jaebum, “No! Stay awake!” Yugyeom clutched weakly at Youngjae’s arms, trying to speak but only coughing up more blood.

                At that moment, when Jaebum was nearly on them, another form came from the opposite direction and slammed into him. Mark took Jaebum down and pinned him to the ground face first, arms twisted behind his back. Youngjae was only barely registering what was happening.

                “Yu-Yugyeom…?” The younger’s eyes had shut and his body gone limp. No more blood sputtered from his lips as no breath came out of him, “No!!”

                The pounding was beginning in his head again, accompanied by the sharp ringing sound. He held Yugyeom’s body tightly, tears welling in his eyes. First Bambam, then Jackson, and now Yugyeom…

                “I’ll kill you all!” Jaebum yelled, trying to throw Mark off him. The oldest was soon joined by Jinyoung.

                “What the hell is wrong with you?!”

                “I’ll kill you all! Blood! So much blood!” Jaebum was practically cackling now, no longer struggling against Mark, “Red will flow everywhere! Red! She likes red!”

                “She-?” The words were barely out of Mark’s mouth when Jaebum reeled up with unnatural force, throwing Mark off him and against a wall. Jaebum was on Jinyoung next, slamming him into the ground with his hands around his neck.

                “Jae-Jae-!” Jinyoung gasped out, trying to fight him off. Jaebum’s strength seemed far too great though, and his hands were constricting tighter and tighter with every breath Jinyoung took. He was kicking and struggling, progressively getting weaker…

                Youngjae tried to let go of Yugyeom’s body, but the ringing wouldn’t stop. It felt like his head was splitting open…

                Mark was on Jaebum’s back again, this time his arm around the older’s neck, and pulling him off Jinyoung. Jaebum released Jinyoung, who gasped out, finally able to breath. However the older then flew backwards, slamming Mark against the wall hard. Youngjae could see the pained expression on Mark’s face from where he was on the floor with the dead Yugyeom. Jaebum slammed him again and again, until Mark was forced to release him.

                “Stop-“ Youngjae tried to say, though his voice felt nonexistent at that point. It hurt so much to speak. His hand fell on the handle of the knife in Yugyeom’s chest and for some reason the ringing began to fade…

                Jaebum took the dazed Mark’s head in his hands, and with a malicious, satisfied smirk, slammed it back against the wall again and again. Mark cried out the first time, but by the second slam no noise came from him. In fact, the oldest boy was no longer struggling. Jaebum laughed and let go of Mark, his head hitting the wall with a sickening squish. Youngjae could make out smear of red left behind from where his body slid down, his eyes now glazed and unseeing. Tears were rolling down Youngjae’s cheeks in torrents now, and he was trying to scream at Jaebum to stop, but his body was refusing to move.

                “Mark…hyung…” Youngjae’s hand tightened around the knife handle, his vision become clearer, as his voice finally came out in a hoarse whisper.

                He could hear Jinyoung’s struggle against Jaebum as the other loomed over him again to resume choking the younger who had still not recovered from the previous attack. He was gasping, trying to beg Jaebum to stop, but their leader wasn’t listening. Youngjae felt his arm move of its own accord on the knife in Yugyeom’ chest.

                “Jinyoungie, you have to die too,” Jaebum cooed down at him, his hands growing tighter and tighter, “die, die, die. Go to sleep. You won’t bleed like the others did.” His laughter grew louder as Jinyoung’s struggle died down…

                …until a knife plunged into his neck.

                Youngjae sank the blade into the side of Jaebum’s neck and ripped it through with such force his swore he heard bones snapping. The leader fell away from Jinyoung, clutching at the wound left by the knife and gurgling out torrents of blood. Youngjae stood over him, knife in hand, panting and shaking. He watched as Jaebum struggled to breath until his movements stopped. He cast one more pitiful stare at Youngjae over him before his life expired and he fell still on the floor.

                Suddenly remembering Jinyoung, Youngjae sank down to his side, and shook the older member.

                He didn’t respond. His blood shot eyes were staring at nothing, the dark marks around his crushed neck all too unnaturally clear in the candle light.

                “No…no…NO!” Youngjae cried out, shaking Jinyoung again and again, “Hyung! Wake up! WAKE UP!” He turned and went to Mark next, but gagged and reeled back when he say the crushed back of his skull.

                “Wake me up!” He cried out, cowering down and closing his eyes, “Someone! NO!”

                “Hehe,” a girlish giggle emanated next to him. Youngjae snapped his head up to see the girl in white smiling down at him, blood stains on her dress now, “you brought me so much red! I love red!”

                “You’re not real!” He screamed, instinctively lashing out with the knife in his hand. The girl vanished and appeared some distance away, near Yugyeom’s body.

                “I asked that you bring me something red and you did!” She giggled again, reaching down to play in the blood upon the ground as if it were finger paint, “you should have just done as I said like you did before. It hurts less, doesn’t it?” she vanished again only to reappear near Jaebum, also reaching down to touch the gaping wound on his neck, “He did a good job though. But it wasn’t as pretty as the first one. Oh the color! So much of it!”

                “F-First one?”

                “You don’t remember do you?” She sang, “Little little Bambam. He didn’t put up much of a fight, did he?” Youngjae shook his head furiously, covering his ears as the woman continued her tirade, “happy to see you and you had a knife. Knife, knife, knife.  So much red. I love red.”

                “Jaebum-hyung is insane!” Bambam said to Youngjae, “he threw me in here!” He looked to Youngjae curiously, “you’re okay though, right? He didn’t hurt you either?”

                Bambam squatted down in front of Youngjae, the vocalist sitting propped up against the far wall, head bowed and unmoving. He reached out to shake the older boy, asking if he was okay, his voice beginning to sound panicked.

                That’s when Youngjae struck out with the knife he had in his hand.

                “Cut, cut, cut!” She continued to sing.

                Bambam screamed for him to stop, but Youngjae kept going, plunging the knife into his gut, his face, his neck, until the screaming stopped. He paused only a moment before continuing, the wretched sound of flesh being ripped apart from so many stabs and cuts resounding in the room.

                “No…no…”

                “Red, so much red~!” She continued to sing, skipping and hopping around him, “Youngjae brought me so much red~!”

                “Shut up!” He screamed at her, standing on shaky legs, knife gripped tightly in his hand, “I didn’t! I didn’t do it!”

                “H-Hyung..?!” Bambam staggered back a step, hand coming up to hold his stomach where Youngjae had struck him. The other boy was on his feet, head bowed, and knife pointed at the younger. Bambam turned to run but slipped on the floor, falling with a cry. Without a word Youngjae sprung at him, sinking the blade into his back.

                “HYUNG!!”

                “SHUT UP!” Youngjae covered his ears, the bloody knife still in hand as he tried to not only drown out the sounds of the girl singing, but the echoes of Bambam screaming for mercy, begging him to stop, “Stop it!”

                “Red, red, red, red~!”

                “STOP IT!!” He shouted again, turning to her with the knife pointed at her, “I’ll-!” His voice caught in his throat. The knife in his hand…it was the same one he used when he…when he killed…

                “No…no…”

                “Just one more, and our picture will be perfect!” She giggled once more, but her smile quickly turned malicious as she stared at Youngjae, “one more…”

                “I…I…I didn’t want to…oh my god…Bambam…” Youngjae sobbed, no longer listening to the girl. Flashes of everyone dying, all the blood, the pain…he’d brought the knife to his own neck before he knew it…the little girl chanting over and over…the ringing beginning again in his head…and then darkness as he sunk the knife into his own neck…

 

                “Youngjae! Youngjae stop!” Strong hands were gripping his shoulders as he struggled against someone, “Hey! Wake up!” Jaebum’s voice filled his ears. Instant panic set in, and Youngjae snapped open his eyes. Seeing Jaebum staring him in the face immediately made him shout in terror and he struggled against his hyung’s hold.

                “Let me go!”

                “Hey, calm down! You were having a nightmare! AH!” Jaebum cried in pain as Youngjae was able to free one arm and hit him in the face. That forced Jaebum to release him, and Youngjae was scrambling to his feet to escape, “Youngjae-ah!”

                He didn’t know where he was going as he blindly tried to escape the room which was completely dark. Just as he felt a door handle, someone grabbed him from behind around the shoulders, keeping him from escaping. He was screaming and shouting now, trying to fight Jaebum.

                And suddenly there was light so bright Youngjae was blinded. As his vision adjusted, he could make out the form of a very much alive, albeit surprised looking, Jinyoung in a doorway, hand on the light switch to Youngjae and Jaebum’s shared room.

                “Hyung you’re…you’re ali-“

                “What’s going on?” Bambam’s tired voice asked, the younger boy looking over Jinyoung’s shoulder. And behind Bambam was a very concerned Yugyeom. With a cry Youngjae slipped out of Jaebum’s hold and embraced the Thai boy, “Are you okay?” He asked quietly as Youngjae sobbed, trying his best to comfort the older.

                Jinyoung looked to Jaebum questioningly, to which the older shrugged, before ushering the younger members away to the living room. The whole time Youngjae would not let go of Bambam. Mark and Jackson had emerged from their room by now as well, watching the scene with concern and surprise.

                “Wow, what’d you do to your face?” Jackson asked Jaebum as he passed.

 

                It took as half an hour for Youngjae to calm down.  While he couldn’t recall everything that had happened, they got the jist of it: he had a nightmare and every single one of them died…mostly because leader was scary (as Jackson put it, which earned him a hit from Jaebum). While he didn’t go into details, he was very shaken up and more than a little embarrassed at hitting Jaebum.

                Eventually they got him back to bed, though Jaebum waited until he fell asleep again before going to turn off the light. The younger boy was probably over stressed and it didn’t help that they’d gotten a lecture at their last practice when Youngjae couldn’t quite get the parts right. He paused though before turning off the light.

                Near the switch was a red smudge he was certain wasn’t there before. He easily rubbed it off however, determining it was just some dirt, before turning the light out and quietly leaving the room for  moment to go to the restroom.

                Finished, Jaebum looked up at the mirror after washing his hands…and swore something moved behind him. Startled, he turned and cautiously looked out the door, left then right…

                “Ah!”

                “AGH!” Jaebum exclaimed, hitting whatever jumped out at him on reflex. Jackson yelped in pain and held his arm where he’d been hit. Jaebum nearly ran after him when Jackson let out a laugh in spite of the pain and swanned off back to his room. Grumbling, Jaebum went back to his and Youngjae’s room.

                Neither noticed the bathroom door slowly shut after they left.

 

 

A/N: Should I keep this going? XD Otherwise, done for the time being~