final.

Baby Baby

"I think I'm gonna go on a diet."

Daehyun abruptly sits up. "What? Why?"

Youngjae's ears turn red as he replies, "Because I'm fat."

And Daehyun wants to scream because Yoo Youngjae is not fat, he just has a little bit more love under his shirt from late nights together watching movies and eating bags of greasy potato chips, from pouting on the grass as he watches Daehyun's soccer practice every Tuesday and Friday, from curling up in bed with ice cream when the kids at school make fun of him (it happens far too often).

Yoo Youngjae is not fat.

"Yoo Youngjae is not fat!"

His best friend snorts. "Yeah, I am. That's why everyone bullies me. So I'm gonna go on a diet."

"You can't," Daehyun gasps. "Diets are evil!"

"No, they're not. Diets make you lose weight. They’re good for you."

Daehyun narrows his eyes. Youngjae has been brainwashed. He's been brainwashed by the standards of society and now he's convinced that consuming nothing but leaves and water is a good idea.

Something needs to be done.


 

 

Youngjae stares down at Daehyun in confusion.

“...what is all of this?”

Daehyun smiles up at him. “I brought lunch for us!”

“You know I always bring my own food,” Youngjae hisses, trying to avoid the curious glances from other students. “This isn’t necessary.”

Daehyun looks sadly at the vast spread on their lunch table. Kimchi stew in a tightly sealed thermos, rice, ham slices, tiny egg salad sandwiches, dumplings, chocolate cake, and even-

“Snails?!” screeches Youngjae. “Why did you bring snails?” He gags when he sees slimy movement under the plastic lid of the container. “And they’re even alive!”

His best friend grins at him. “I heard they taste the best that way! I bought all this food for you, Youngjae. Eat up!”

By now half of their grade is marveling at the goods on the table. Youngjae gulps.

“No, Daehyun,” he says. “I’m on a diet, remember?”

Daehyun’s shoulders slump. “But Youngjae! You don’t need to!”

“Yes, I do,” Youngjae says firmly. He opens his paper bag and pulls out a bag of grapes. Daehyun gapes at him.

"You can't get full by only eating that! Are you crazy?"

“No, I’m on a diet,” Youngjae snaps. “Right now your food is poison.” He snaps open the plastic bag and pops in the grapes one by one.

Daehyun sulks and distributes his goods to the salivating students around them.

 


 

“What the .”

Daehyun beams and runs around the soccer field excitedly. “Isn’t this refreshing? The air is so crisp and cool and-”

“-it’s 7:30 on a Saturday morning, Daehyun, I could be sleeping right now,” Youngjae grumbles, half of his hair flat on the side of his head and eyes still heavy with dreams. “What are we even doing here?”

His best friend disappears into the tool shed his soccer team stores their equipment in and ducks out with a soccer ball in hand.

“Soccer is a very active sport that requires the participation of all your body parts!” Daehyun declares. “It involves a lot of movement, a lot of running, which can be considered as exercise! Exercise is key to helping you lose weight, not necessarily… eating a bag of grapes for lunch every day,” he finishes, shooting a glare at Youngjae.

His best friend groans. “You know my stamina is awful.”

“Then we’re gonna build it.”

Suffice it to say that the next three hours consist of sweat, screaming, and bruises. Many of Daehyun’s consist of Youngjae kicking him in the shins. Most of the sweat and screaming consist of Youngjae.

At precisely 11:03 AM, Youngjae flops down on the grass and punches Daehyun in the arm when his best friend settles down, as well.

“Ow! Youngjae!” Daehyun pouts.

Youngjae snorts and rolls over. “I at soccer,” he announces. After a moment of silence, he adds, “But today was fun.”

Daehyun beams.

 


 

Warm sunlight filters in through the kitchen windows, they’re kicking at each other’s feet from underneath the table, and SPICA’s Tonight is blaring from Daehyun’s radio.

This is not good. Not good at all.

“How is that even a lunch?” Daehyun questions, glaring at Youngjae’s meager slice of bread and slightly browned apple slices.

“What are you talking about?”

“You shouldn’t be eating so little, Youngjae. This is unhealthy.”

“This is a diet,” his best friend bites back. “I don’t want to be fat anymore.”

“You’re not even fat!”

Youngjae stuffs an apple slice into his mouth and chews vehemently. “Yes, I am. I’m-”

Daehyun wraps a hand around the side of Youngjae’s neck, drawing him closer, and places his other hand on Youngjae’s belly. “You’re not,” he says, voice gentle. “You’re just soft, that’s all. Girls would kill to have skin as perfect as yours.”

The other boy doesn’t respond and Daehyun notices that Youngjae’s face has gone bright red. The steady pulse under Daehyun’s palm is now fast and erratic. They meet eyes, and after a few painful seconds, Youngjae swallows and looks down at the ground.

“Young-” Daehyun starts, but Youngjae shoves Daehyun’s hands away and bolts for the front door.


 

 

Mrs. Yoo knowingly lets Daehyun in and he silently climbs the stairs, hovering in front of Youngjae’s room. He reaches out and twists the knob.

“Mom, I told you, I’m not hungry,” Youngjae grumbles from his desk.

“Well, lucky for you, I didn’t bring any food this time.”

Youngjae’s shoulders droop and he turns to face Daehyun. “What.”

“I want to talk about what happened yesterday,” Daehyun says. “What happened before you ran out of my house.”

“Let’s not,” Youngjae replies. “Can we not talk about that?”

“Damn it, Youngjae, can you stop turning a blind eye to everything? I felt it. I felt your heartbeat, and if you had stuck around a little longer, I would’ve told you my heart does the same thing when I’m close to you.”

Tears spill from Youngjae’s eyes. “But why? Why would you like me?”

Daehyun laughs softly and takes Youngjae’s hands, pulling him into standing position. “You’re funny, smart, beautiful, and my best friend. What more do I need to say? You know everything about me and I know everything about you. And to be honest, I don’t even know why you’re on a diet. You don’t need to lose weight, Youngjae. You’re-” Daehyun blushes. “You’re amazing.”

Youngjae bites his lip, smiling. “Really?” he asks.

Daehyun grins back. “Really.”

The other boy his lips, and leans forward. Daehyun closes his eyes in anticipation-

“Ow!” Daehyun rubs the spot on his arm where Youngjae punched him. “What the hell?”

“That’s for not telling me you liked me, idiot! Do you know how much I went through because of you? Two years of struggling, that’s what!”

“Well you didn’t tell me anything either!” Daehyun huffs, and Youngjae rolls his eyes before closing the gap between them and pecking Daehyun on the lips.

“And that was for telling me I’m amazing,” Youngjae mumbles, cheeks pink. “Thanks.”

Daehyun blinks.

“You’re amazing you’re amazing you’re amazing amazing amazing-”

“Stop cheating, Daehyun. I’m not gonna kiss you that many times.”

“Amazing amazing amazing so amazing-”

“Daehyun!”






 

 

 

 

 

 

daehyun is desperate for kisses just help him out, youngjae