CHAPTER 2

Chasing The Rainbow

CHAPTER 2

“ Do you know the cosequences of your action?” Mum yells at So Hee. Her friends had told her about what happens at the cafe. “ You're humiliating me. Now everyone knows about it. How am I going to face my friends? Now they thought I don't know how to raise my kids.” Then So Hee speaks up. “The consequences? You're worried about your image more than your own daughter? I thought you're worried if I got beaten up or something but, no, you didn't care about me. I'm not here to make you look good in front of you friends.” Se Hun can't do anything about this fight, he can only watch and listen to both of them. “Guess what Mum? You never care about me. All you care about is that stupid kid!” Pang! Her mother's palm lands on her cheek. Everyone didn't see it coming. Then So Hee runs into her room and lock herself. Even her mother is shocked with what she just did to her daughter. Then she regrets it right away. “What have I done?” Her mum sits on the couch, tears starts to well up at the corner of her eyes. “It's okay Mum. You didn't mean it.” Se Hun tries to compose his mum.

 

Se Hun walks upstairs to his sister's room. She must be really sad right now. He evesdrop her, he can hear her, she's sobbing. She must be leaning againts the door. He knows it, whenever she cries she will lock herself up, leans at the door and cry. He doesn't know why, that's just her way. He knows he can't do anything, he would end up being yelled if he helps her. So he, too, leans against her door listening to her cries. Then both of them drift away.

 

Her hands was trembling. Mrs. Choi would be really mad. Little So Hee started panicking, she didn't do her homework. “Oh So Hee” Her head snapped up. That was her name. Little Se Hun watched his sister as she walked slowly towards their teacher. “Hurry up So Hee. Don't waste our time.” She always did her homework, no, her brother did for her. She just copied his answers. She was busy playing with her new doll last night. Little Se Hun had done the homework earlier and he forgot to remind her about it as he was busy playing with her. Mrs. Choi took the book and looked through it. She wasn't pleased with little So Hee. “Lift up your hand. Show me your palm.” Mrs. Choi told her. Then she took a cane and whacked her hand. Little So Hee flinched. “Go outside, stand on one legs and put this book on your head.” She went outside and did as she was told then she cried a little. Her palm was red. She was ashamed cause she could feel the student's eyes on her. She couldn't think or hear anything during that embarassing moment. Then, another student stood outside with her. It was little Se Hun. “You did your homework and you brought your book. I saw it just now. Why are you here?” she whispered. “I told her I forgot my book. I don't feel like I want to study right now and at least you're not alone out here.” Little Se Hun patted her hair, took out his tiny Spiderman handkerchief and wiped away her tears. Then they both smiled.

 

So Hee decides to go out, she haven't call her friend. Getting out of the house seems like a good option now. She needs a break. She takes her HTC and calls her friend. “Hello, Naeun. Wanna hang out? I'm so messed up right now.” Naeun agrees. She quickly dressed up and open the door only to find Se Hun slamming his head on her foot. “Yah! What are you doing here? You slept just now?” He was half awake when the door suddenly opens and fully awake now, thanks to her sister's voice. “FYI, my door isn't your bed.” Then she walks away leaving poor Se Hun at her door. He rubbed the back of his head cause it's still hurting. He feels guilty because he thinks that he is the reason she was slapped. He is that 'stupid kid'. Why can't his mother treats So Hee like she does to him? He wonders where is she going now. It's okay, she needs some times to cool down. Maybe her friend could help her out. He hopes he could be her shoulder to cry on, a friend.

 

Everyone is not at home, even the parents. After revising a little regarding to his exam, Se Hun feels kinda bored. Now that no one's home he decides to go to that room. His old room. Now it's just a place to throw away old, unvaluable things but for him. He has something really valuable in there. Something he is longing for every day. As soon as he opens the door he sees it and smiles. There it is - his piano. He slides his fingers against the dusty piano and sit looking down at the keyboard. He remembers the cloud-like feeling that he gets whenever he plays. Actually he always comes and play but never cleans the piano or else his Mum would notice. She dislikes his passion for music because she couldn't see the future in it. So to pleased her, he takes Medicine, to become a doctor. Slowly he closes his eyes and starts playing, letting himself indulge in the magical moment. The song that he plays, his little childhood song, so common for others but so special to him.

 

“Is that the song our teacher just taught?” little So Hee asked his brother. He was staring off the window and hummed a melody. “Yeah, I love it. Do you like it?” Little Se Hun replied and little So Hee answered, “Yeah, I love it too.” Then both of them started singing lighting up the mood. He fell in love with the song and that song had introduced him music. He learnt how to play the melody with piano and soon learnt other song too and he never stopped.

 

“Can I move into your house?” So Hee asks Naeun. “What? Why?” Naeun is surprised with what she just heard cause she will never move out of that house if it was her. It's not like So Hee's house is big but it is comfortable enough compared to her freaking small 2 rooms flat plus the single elevator that shut down at least once a week. “I just feel like everyone is against me. I don't belong there,” So Hee told Naeun her reason. “Well I'm fine with it. At least I have friend. But how 'bout your family? Have you told them?” Naeun asked So Hee. That's right, what will they think about this? Great, now she needs to tell them, can't she just leave quietly?

 

Now So Hee needs to hatch a plan to get out of the house without getting caught. The house is empty. She loves it that way, just her and her against the world. She heads straight to her room when her ears caught a familiar melody. It comes from the store. She walks silently, towards the sound. Her eyes peers into the store through the door. She takes a step back, so that Se Hun won't see her. This melody, so familiar to her and she knows it. It brings up the old, good childhood memories.

 

You are my sunshine,

My only sunshine,

You make me happy when skies are grey,

You never know dear how much I love you,

Please don't take my sunshine away,

 

In his heart, Se Hun prays, that he will get his sunshine back.

 

-CHAPTER 2-