Chapter 1

The Walkers

   The sickening scent floods my nose as soon as I step out of the underground cell. Everything in my room is covered in a blood red clolour. Bright red, yes, meaning that it couldn't have been long since they left. I shudder at the thought. I feel sick to my stomach. Then I quickly go to change into comfortable clothing: jeans, t-shirt, sweater and a jacket... good enough right? I pick up my backpack and stuff a few more articles of clothing in it, being quiet yet efficient. I stuff my cellphone into my jacket pocket. What else..? Right, the gun... I gingerly lift up the pillow, careful not to touch the blood covered part, which is about most of the pillow. I took the gun as well as the holster hanging off my wall, dodging the dark red stained carpet.

     I put on sneakers and peer out cautiously, finally going out of my room, heart thumping in my chest. It's so loud I'm afraid that they would be able to hear me. As I walk, I have to consciously stay aware of the limbs scattered around. The fact that I knew the owners of the now-torn body parts is horrifying. I feel as if I'm gonna throw up, my stomach churning. Slowly but surely, the tears start to burn in my eyes; is this just a dream? They could not exist, they were only figments in horror stories. Obviously, this is a dream.

I stumble over a picture frame. It makes a loud cracking sound, echoing through the empty halls.

    I freeze, afraid they heard me. After a minute or so, I continue to walk, focusing more on getting to the kitchen that wondering whether this was real or not. But I am pretty sure that this is real. Believing was just hard.

    Right now I am really hating have a big house. It is taking me forever to get to the kitchen, but then again, I wasn't really eager to go outside either.


     I am not sure which knife to take, the chief's knife or the carving knife, I decide to take both, the more protection the better. I put both knives into the place where my water bottle would go. I took a few bottles of water and look around to see if there was edible food left around the ecounter, I find a box of crackers and stuff them in my backpack. Alright, time to go outside... fun.

    I have gotten used to the smell of my house by now, but the amount of blood and parts of the human body are still unpleasant. I go to the door and peer out the window, the streets aren't exactly full of them. There are about five or six of them roaming the streets, I gulp and wonder if I should just wait for them to leave, but decide against it. I make sure my gun is loaded and that I could easily grab the knifes from my backpack, I put my sweat covered hand on the cold knob but something outside causes me to stop.

    There is someone outside fighting them, I watch as they bash one of their heads open with what seemed to be a metal car lock and quickly approached to the next one.

     Then another had started walking towards him, a few metres away. I bust open the door and ran to it, taking a knife and slicing it's head open. Their heads are surprisingly soft. Then due to it's now open head, blood spills out all over my black clothing. It makes a loud thump as it falls to the ground. I am in shock. I feel like a hero in those shows, like those horror films. But what's also making me shocked is the fact that what I just killed was once human like me. Then I snap back into reality and look around for the boy who was fighting them. He had just finished killing the rest of them on the street and looks up at me.

    " Hey, human, let's travel together, " He walks closer to me and gives me a weary smile.

    " Sure." I say, what's the harm right?

    " I'm Kim Jongdae, but you can call me Chen. Nice to meet you. Seriously, you don't know how nice it is to meet you, I thought I was the last one alive." Chen said again." So where do you want to head to? "

    " Nice to meet someone else who's alive too. I'm Kim Eunjae, call me Eunjae." I joke, trying to lighten up the mood, but after seeing his reaction to my lame joke, I clear my throat and say more seriously, " Why don't we just keep walking around until we find more people. It's safer that way and then we can figure out what to do with our life. 'Kay?" I look around, still on the look out for more of them.

    " Sure why not? That's basically what I've been doing. Hey, you got any food?" He gives me a sheepish grin.

    " Yes, but seeing as you still have some energy, I'm not gonna give it to you yet." I reply, I grab his hand with my free hand and start walking away from my house.

    " It was worth a shot." Chen sighs and then smiles, feeling safer with some human companion.


    We walk for a few minutes, engaging in small talk, but still alert and on guard. I found out that Chen was driving home after a date when one of them appeared in his window. He had grabbed his metal car lock in his car and ran out like a mad man.I also found out that his father had passed away 14 years ago, when he was at the tender age of five. Since then, his mother raised him alone, until last week when she got married. Chen's mother was currently in Hawaii on her honeymoon, while Chen lived by himself in their house.

    " So, what about you? What's your life like?" Chen asks me.

    " Well, I was born on April 12th, 1994, and... I'm really not in the mood right now." I sigh and rub my temples, my brain felt numb. No matter how real this feels, I'm still not believing it.

   " Ah. sounds like an interesting life, so, 94'er. I'm born '92, so I'm two years older than you." Chen smirks.

   " Yeah, well, I'm basically taller than you."  I say, saying whatever comes to mind, although it really isn't the right time to joke around.

    " You are not." He argues

    " I so-" I start, when I'm interrupted with a bloodcurdling scream.

    Chen and I immediately run towards the source of the scream. As we run, we dodge a few of them, and luckily they were too slow to catch up with us. We finally arrive behind a restaurant and see ten or so of them, sauntering towards a girl, and a boy trying to fend them off, but was having very little luck. Chen quickly goes to help the boy, as I go towards the girl. She was curled into a fetal position, eyes wide, tears streaming down her face.

    " Hey, you're alright now, you're safe." I lie through my teeth; we are nothing close to safe. I try to comfort her they way I want to be comforted. I help her up, trying to hide my knife  (no use freaking her out even more). I can feel her shaking. " What's your name?" I ask, wanting to sound friendly.

    " Ch-Choi, J-jin-ri..." She mutters. I smile slightly, so she hasn't gone insane yet.

    " You stay here, okay? Next to this wall. I'm gonna go help those dudes over there okay? Just yell if any of them come close to you, okay?" I ask,

    She nods, " W-why aren't you scared? What's the point of living now? Won't they get us no matter what?".

    I pretend not to hear since I am already walking away. I ponder those questions in my head. Yes I'm terrified, but if I don't think about it, it feels like a dream. That way I can ignore my fear better.  My reality feels like a dream, and I'm sure Chen's feels the same too, along with that tall boy over there and Jin ri as well. But without bad times, we won't know good times right?

     I run towards Chen and the other boy, when I smell their foul scent behind me. I spin around and slice it's midsection, it falls to the ground unable to move but still alive. I grimace at all the blood and see another one of them coming up behind the boy, I run at lightening speed and stab it's head, causing blood to splutter everywhere. He is in shock. He probably wasn't even aware that there was one of them behind him, give it a few more seconds and the boy would have been a goner.

     The fact that they were all once living humans like us is the most horrifying thing about killing them. I soon find myself crying and apologizing quietly as do so. After getting rid all the ones in sight, I wipe my tears and the three of us walk back towards the girl, only to find an empty wall.

    The boy is frantic and starts to yell her name.

    " Sulli?! Where are you?! C'mon out! This isn't funny! CHOI JIN RI!" He yells as he looks around and runs out from behind the restaurant. We follow, afraid he might accidentally get himself killed. 

    " Calm down, they might hear you or something" Chen scolds the boy.

    " I don't give a crap! My friend is in freakin' danger! " He turns around and glares at Chen. Chen scoffs.

    That's when I see her, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who sees her. But she isn't really her anymore, she's one of them. Her fair skin was a sickening green colour, the pupils of her eyes were gone, leaving just the whites. A crazed grin plastered on her face. The way she walks is the same as them, slow yet still spine chilling. Not to mention the unpleasant groaning, and the limp limbs. She's coming towards us.

    'Jin ri' was a few metres behind us, coming out from the back of restaurant, where we were a minute ago, I pull out my gun and point it at her face. Why didn't she scream?  Why did it turn out this way? I grimace, holding back my tears. She was a sweet girl, though I barely knew her. But she was the enemy now. I sigh with agony and pull the trigger, the bullet hitting her sqaure in the face. She moans painfully and falls down. The thumping sound of her body echoes in my brain.

   I turn around to see the boy with a painful look on his face, tears streaming down his face.

    "How could you do that?" He whispers and falls to his knees. I stop holding back my tears and the tears tumble out as well. What I just did registers in my mind. What this world had turned into registers in my mind. All the deaths, the thought of being something's prey, being hunted.  The horror of the world. Everything finally registers in my mind. I walk towards him and pat his back as I cry with him. Pretty soon, the three of us are crying together, wondering how our lives turned into such a nightmare.


First chapter done! Woohoo! Yipee!  Did ya like it? I feel that it's fairly short. I'll try to write longer chapters in the future, but I still hope that you liked it!  Also, any guesses as to who the boy is?  XP Also please free to comment how you felt about the first chapter.

P.S When I first thought of this idea it wasn't gonna be this depressing.. : D

Anyways until next time!

< 3