The First Sketch

Sketch

  "Don't move please, you're making it harder for me to sketch you." He begs his pet cat.

  Strawberry conveniently decided to ignore her master, stretching her limbs before rolling onto her belly.

  Park Chanyeol decides to make full use of this situation and quickly adds a few more to his sketch, sticking his tongue out in discontentment when he draws a too long.

  Just a few more minutes." He pleads his cat, shading the back of his cat's ears. Strawberry must have remembered that her owner fed her well each day and decided to allow Chanyeol a few more minutes of rough sketching.

  "There, all done!" Chanyeol grins, adding the finishing to his sketch before holding it out for Strawberry to see.

  Strawberry mewled in reply.

  "Yes, I know, I know, I should be sleeping." Chanyeol murmers. "But it's the first day of school tomorrow! And I can't wait to start their Art classes! I mean, I did transfer here for the Art..."

  Strawberry blinked at her owner.

  "Aish, you're right! I should just sleep on it, and enjoy my day tomorrow!"

  And with that, Park Chanyeol closes his sketchbook with a resounding snap, stuffs it under his pillow, and lays his head on it, Strawberry.

  "Maybe, just maybe," he thinks. "It'll be memorable after all."

__________________________________________________________

 

 

  "Annyeonghaseyo! I'm Park Chanyeol! I transferred here for the Art program! Hope we can all be friends!"

  A few replies were muttered back as Chanyeol made his way over to his new seat. His seatmate turned out to be a very good-looking tan-skinned guy, who grinned at him with perfect white teeth worthy of a toothpaste ad.

  "Hey newbie! My name's Jongin, and I'm gonna be your seatmate for the rest of the school year!"

  As Chanyeol settled down, Jongin asked: "Are you an Art student? I mean, I did hear that you transferred here for the Art program, so I assumed you're one."

  Chanyeol beamed. "Yeah, I am. Are you?"

  "I am. What do you specialize in? Our Art program deals with and exposes us to all kinds of Art, so you'll be handling stuff like pottery, paper mache, painting, cartoon drawing, doodling, sketching, all kinds really."

  "I usually do sketching. But I enjoy all other kinds. It's just that sketching's more portable."

  "Cool. I don't really specialize in anything, but I think I do more painting than others."

  "I've never really done much painting, but I wanna try soon."

  "Hey, Art class is next period. You wanna go together?"

  "Sure!"

__________________________________________________________

 

 

  As Chanyeol sets down his bag in Art class and plops himself down in his seat, he noticed that Jongin had already prepared everything and had taken out a photo from his binder. When Chanyeol snuck a peak over Jongin's shoulder, he realizes that it's a guy in the photograph Jongin is staring at.

  "Hey, who's that?"

  Flustered, Jongin nearly drops the photograph. "N-nobody." He mutters as he hastily shoves the photo(carefully) back into his binder while blushing.

  "It's okay, I won't tell."

  Jongin stares deep into his eyes, before sighing with a reply: "He's my boyfriend. We're gay, so people judge us. They judge us more when they find out about him."

  Chanyeol looks at Jongin, and notices just how smitten Jongin looks while talking about his boyfriend, and how upset he sounded about people judging them.

  "Don't be down, I'm sure he must be a great guy for you to like him so much."

  "Yeah," Jongin mumbles, a soft smile gracing his face. "Yeah, he's special."

__________________________________________________________

 

 

  Chanyeol was focusing on drawing the vase at the front of the classroom when he saw it.

  Looking past Jongin's easel of watercolours, his gaze lands directly on the easel that had caught his eye. When he saw the artwork on the easel, he gasped.

  Most people had chosen to sketch or paint the vase, while a handful decided to be creative and make collages. But this guy was beyond creative.

  He had just seemingly used coloured pencils and crayons, yet the entire piece of artwork seemed to be a mess of colours, with the outline of the vase showing. And Chanyeol just knew(artist's sense) that once the piece of artwork was complete, it would look phenomenal.

  Still filled with awe, he nudged Jongin.

  "Who's that guy?"

  Jongin paused to lift his head from his piece of watercolours and squinted. "Oh, that's just Baekhyun."

  "Who's Baekhyun?"

  "Byun Baekhyun, Art student extraordinaire. He's supposedly the best in the program, and multi-talented in all forms of Art. He's a genius at watercolours too. If only I had his talent..."

  Jongin paused for a moment to get absorbed in his reverie, then snapped out of it.

  "His work gets featured all the time by the school too! You name it, he's done it! In fact, if you walk down the school's Art corridor, you'll find his work featured there."

  Chanyeol looked at the quiet boy, then to his artwork, then to his drawing of the vase, then back to Baekhyun's artwork.

  "Jongin," he began. "Where's the Art corridor located at?"

__________________________________________________________

 

 

  After school, Chanyeol made his way to the famed Art corridor, determined to check out the rest of Byun Baekhyun's work. What he saw took his breath away.

  The walls were lined mostly with Byun Baekhyun's work, and each was more outstanding than the last. From oil paintings to watercolours to even simple doodles, everything was there. There was even a glass case containing Baekhyun's pottery work.

  But there was one capturing all his attention. Smiling, Chanyeol made his way over to it. Surprisingly, it was a collage. A collage of a boy eating a cupcake. Baekhyun however, had messed around with the colours, making it difficult to see the guy's features. And Chanyeol knew why now. Knew why Baekhyun's work always seemed extraordinary. There was an essence in all his art pieces, that brought the inanimate images to life.

  Pulling out his sketchbook, Chanyeol sketched Baekhyun's collage, and was proven right. For the first time, his sketches had failed him. No other was able to replicate Baekhyun's work. The boy in his sketch stayed being a boy. There was no boy happily eating his cupcake, and smacking his lips at the aftertaste. No boy asking for another. It was just a stationary boy.

  And it was then, while looking at Baekhyun's collage, did Chanyeol know with a finality that he wants to know more about Byun Baekhyun.