Final

Objectively Lucky

A/N: So it turned out longer than I thought...oh well. And sorry if the paragraphs are weird, I'm planning to go back and edit them later. Enjoy!


“Your good luck charm is here.”

Luhan doesn’t even have to turn around to know who it is that has just wrapped their arms around him. Humming in contentment, he leans back into the embrace.

“I’m glad you could make it,” he tells Sehun, relaxing for just a moment. He had been worried the younger wouldn’t be able to make it, being his schedule as a model is so busy and all.

But it warms his heart that Sehun made time out for him and his soccer game.

“You’re a little late though,” teases Minseok lightly. “If you had come two minutes ago, he was changing.”

Luhan sticks his tongue out at his best friend as everyone else laughs. “Shut up Minseok. You’re just happy Jongdae is here to see you in all your glory.”

“I ran into him leaving,” Sehun says, pressing a kiss to Luhan’s forehead. The elder sighs happily. Right now, Sehun is the only thing calming him down.

“Get a room guys,” calls Minho, shielding Niel’s eyes. Since Niel is the maknae, the others try to do all they can to protect his innocence.

“You weren’t like that when Taemin came in,” points out Yukwon, pulling his jersey over his head before smirking at the other. “You were all over him.”

“It’s not like I’ve never seen a kiss, hyung,” retorts Niel, shoving Minho’s hand away before the elder can protest.

Luhan just rolls his eyes at his teams antics and instead focuses solely on Sehun. “So how did your shoot go?”

The younger shrugs. “Good enough. Siwon hyung was there, and Yifan hyung but other than that, pretty boring.” He leans closer to whisper into Luhan’s ear. “I could wait to come here and see my favorite hyung.”

Luhan blushes slightly. “Well I-I’m glad you made it on time anyhow. I needed my good luck charm here.” Sehun grins widely, that special grin that is only for Luhan.

“I’m flattered.” He lifts their intertwined hands and studies them.

Luhan raises an eyebrow. “What are you doing?"

“Your hands are shaking. Are you nervous?” the younger asks instead. Sighing, Luhan nods as he tries to control his hands. He hadn’t realized he was shaking.

“A lot.”

“You’ll do fine. You always do.”

“I know, I know, but this is big. So, so big and I can’t mess up because if I do, I-” The deer is cut off by a pair of lips on his for a moment.

“If we win, you’ll get more than one reward.

Luhan feels his face heat at the double meaning behind the younger’s words.

“Alright, is everyone ready?” Junsu comes in, his face concentrated as he gazes around at his team. An unfamiliar head catches his eye. “Hi Sehun.” The so addressed boy nods at him, not the least bit intimidated by the elder man.

“Hello hyung.”

“Sorry hyung, he was just leaving,” Luhan says, gently shoving Sehun towards the door of their locker room. “Find your seat quickly. I’ll look for you.”

            “My eyes will never leave you,” Sehun promises, his voice soft so the others won’t hear his cheesy words. Luhan is the only one who can coax such cliché things out of him but in a way, he likes it, knowing the deer is a romantic.

            Luhan’s face gets a little warm but he smiles anyhow and kisses Sehun quickly. “My good luck charm.”

            “Good luck. I’ll be cheering for you the whole time.” Sehun raises his voice as he looks at everyone else around the locker room in encouragement. “Hwaiting!”

            After he leaves, Junsu gestures for everyone to gather around for a final before-game-pep-talk. They settle themselves on and around the wooden bench, playfulness from the minutes prior now gone.

            “Is everyone ready for this?” Junsu looks at each player individually, waiting for them to nod. “This is what we’ve worked for.”

            “All the blood, sweat, and tears,” breaks in Dongho. Next to him, Leo merely sighs.

            Hoya rolls his eyes as he lightly shoves the younger. “So dramatic.”

            “We’ve made it this far,” Junsu continues after a frown at the other two for interrupting his grand speech. “We’re not leaving without a win.”

            “That’s right,” Yukwon adds, adjusting himself into a more comfortable position from where he’s leaning against Luhan’s legs.

            “Just remember everything we went over in practice and we’ll be fine. We’re here to represent our country. Now everyone knows the starting lineup and hyungnim is going to meet us at the field.”

            “I’m nervous,” whispers Luhan to Minseok, where the latter gives him a reassuring smile and pats his arm.

            “Me too. But we’ll be fine. We always are.”

            “I’m scared,” Niel announces. It’s his first really big game and he hadn’t expected the butterflies to be so strong.

            “You’ll be fine, Niel,” Minhyuk tells him, ruffling the younger’s hair.

            “Just think of it like another practice game,” advises Minho kindly. “A scrimmage or something.”

            “Do your best, Niel and just have fun.” Junsu gives the youngest a smile, putting his fears at ease for now. He looks around at the rest of his team. “Ready to go?”


            “Look, there he is! There he is!” Jongdae points excitedly as the South Korean team comes out onto the field, waving to the crowd. He stands up and eagerly waves, even managing to coax Sehun doing it as well. “Minseok hyung! Hyung!”

            “He knows you’re here,” Kyungsoo says but waves nonetheless, looking over at Jongin next to him. The younger is grinning widely and screaming for Luhan and Minseok and the rest of the South Korean team as well.

            “Hwaiting everyone!” yells Yixing, standing up as well. Zitao joins him as well, shouting excitedly. Beside him, even though he’s smiling, Yifan just claps loudly because he’s not much for screaming.

            They all had managed to come. Since the players were awarded three tickets to give to their friends and family, Minseok had chosen Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and Jongin. Luhan used his for Sehun, Yixing and Yifan, since his family is still in China and unable to come.

            Joonmyun, being the rich CEO he is, managed to snag seats right next to the privileged for himself, Zitao, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. The latter two aren’t there yet, probably running a little late due to schedule.

            “Doesn’t hyung look manly out there?” Zitao says as the two teams shake hands. The others snort, even as Sehun frowns.

He knows better than anyone how manly Luhan can be but decides to keep that to himself. No need for them to know. “I like their uniforms.”

“Of course you would,” Jongin smirks. He tugs on Kyungsoo’s arm before the other can protest. “Hyung, will we get food?”

“The match hasn’t even started yet,” Jongdae points out, craning his neck to get the best view he can of Minseok. “Food is for later.”

“He’s right, you know,” agrees Kyungsoo, smiling gently at Jongin who pouts. Taking pity on him, Joonmyun pats his arm.

“In a little while, if you’re hungry, I’ll get you some food.” At the elder’s words, Jongin beams but pecks Kyungsoo anyhow, claiming his food is still the best.

“Did we miss anything?”

The others turn, managing to hear that even over the cheers and see Baekhyun and Chanyeol standing there, looking a bit out of breath.

“Hi hyungs!” Jongin and Sehun chorus.

“You’re late,” Yifan says, crossing his long legs as they scoot past him to the empty seats. Baekhyun sticks his tongue out.

“We were talking to Myungsoo and Sungjong, thank you.”

“They’re here to see Hoya hyung,” adds Chanyeol by way of explanation, plopping down in his seat.

“You’re just in time, actually,” Joonmyun tells them. “I think they’re about to start.” They all look out to the field, seeing the teams huddle for last-minute instructions.

They’re playing China, which is a little unsettling for Luhan. He looks over at Minseok for comfort, who gives his shoulder a squeeze.

Since he’s playing against his home country, it’s going to be…not awkward, per say, but just uncomfortable. It’s not that he has completely turned his back on China; in fact, it’s the opposite. He learned to love China more by living in Korea because that made him appreciate his home country.

And as proud as he is to be representing Korea, his home now, it’s still a little weird to play against China.

But China didn’t have Sehun. So maybe it’s okay.

“I forgot we’re playing China,” Chanyeol comments, leaning forward in his seat. “Luhan hyung will be okay though, right?”

“He’s fine,” says Yixing, being Luhan’s closest Chinese friend. “He already got that off his chest.”

Sehun frowns. He didn’t remember Luhan ever coming to talk to him about this. Yes, he was a little busy, but Luhan knows he’ll always make time for him. Right?

He shakes those thoughts off as the Korean team throws their hands in the air before jogging to their places. Luhan is one of the starting forwards and already Sehun is proud to be called his boyfriend.

“Feeling okay hyung?” Yukwon asks, looking over at Luhan. The elder nods, rolling his shoulders as the refs talk with the captains for the last few seconds.

“Yeah. You?”

“Of course. It’ll be fun.”

“It’ll be fun if we win,” Doojoon adds, wringing his hands together as he winks at the others. “But don’t worry. We will.”

“You’re jinxing us hyung,” Minho reminds him, waving to Minhyuk as he heads for the goal, pulling his gloves on as he does so.

Junsu nods in their direction as he heads to the center of the field where the kick-off will be. China won it but Junsu has no doubts they’ll quickly gain to ball back.

Luhan takes another deep breath, narrowing his eyes against the sunlight. Here goes nothing.


By halftime, the score is resolutely still 0-0. Not that anyone is complaining, it’s better than losing, but they’re still annoyed as they’ve had so many opportunities.

For one penalty kick, Leo gave it a little too much strength and sent it skimming the top of the goal.

Another was when Niel had an amazing shot but it bounced off of an opposing player’s leg and out of the goal box.

Luhan had had a decent pass, set up by Minho but had been blocked by another player.

“Good job everyone,” Junsu says, the only one remaining standing as everyone else slumps around the bench. “I think we’re playing really well.”

“The whole world is against us though,” complains Doojoon. “We’ve been so close sometimes!”

“At least they haven’t scored on us either, hyung,” retorts Niel, trying to look on the bright side.

“But we’re still losing,” Minho says glumly, taking a sip of water. He is the most competitive on the team and to be on the losing side is not what he wants. He will work as hard as possible for them to win.

Junsu sighs, running a hand through his sweaty hair. “Look everyone. I know it’s not the most ideal score, but there are worse places to be in than this. Now focus on the positive.”

There is a collective murmuring of ‘yes hyung’ from the rest of the team and Junsu smiles, getting them back on track.

“First off, we need to tighten our defense. Minseok, you’re favoring the right side a little too much. Try to remain in the center.”

Minseok nods, smiling a little as Luhan hands him a water bottle. “Gotcha hyung.”

“Minhyuk, you’re not glued to the ground. Move around a little bit more. Get faster on your feet. You’re standing still too much,” continues Junsu.

“Okay hyung.”

“How’s it going Junsu?” Their coach, Dongwan walks up to them, hands in pockets.

Junsu straightens. “Just relaying some feedback, hyungnim.”

“Great. Now you all are playing well enough, not letting them score or even get close to it. But they’re doing the same, so you have to be faster, smarter. Think strategy.”

The team nods, their faces all sporting a mask of concentration. They are tired for sure, since Dongwan hasn’t used any substitutions yet, but this fifteen-minute break is all they need to get back on their feet.

Motioning them closer, Dongwan squats down next to them. “I want Minho watching Luhan’s back at all times. Make sure he has space.”

“Yes hyungnim.”

“Leo, Yukwon, get farther apart. You’re too close together and leaving other spaces unattended that Niel and Minho would have to deal with alone.”

The two look at each other, than back to Dongwan. “Yes hyungnim.”

“Doojoon, I want you closer to Minhyuk. You’re too far away to do much. Try to get there faster than any China players, okay?”

“Of course.”

Dongwan looks around at all of them, a small smile on his face. “Cheer up everyone, you’re doing wonderfully. Just keep doing what you’re doing, work a little harder, and we’ll take the victory.”

“That’s right!” adds Niel, beaming brightly. “We can do this!” The other laugh at his positivity but it is contagious and they find themselves smiling as well.

“We just need the right opening,” Hoya says, trying to think of a plan, a strategy.

“We’ll find another opportunity,” Minseok tells him optimistically. “We’ve had plenty of them but none have been exactly what we need.”

“I’m trusting you.” Yukwon looks directly at Leo with furrowed brows. “You’re going to get farther away from me, hyung.”

Leo lets a ghost of a smile pass on his face. “As far as I can.”

“Yah!”

“It is what hyungnim said,” Luhan reminds the younger who nods, pouting, but sticks his tongue out at Leo anyhow.

Deciding to leave the two to their dispute and take advantage of the few remaining minutes left of their break, Luhan lets his eyes wander up to the stands. Seeing Sehun will definitely rejuvenate him like nothing else will.

His eyes fall on his boyfriend, who is seated in between Jongin and Yixing. The sight of his other friends brings a smile to Luhan’s lips. The fact they all were able to come for him and Minseok means the world to him.

Now it looks like Sehun is talking to the others but almost as if he can feel Luhan’s gaze, he looks up and meets the elder’s eyes. Smirking, he blows a kiss.

Feeling his cheeks heat, Luhan grins widely at him and waves, managing to catch the attention of his remaining friends. A few seats are empty and he suspects they’re getting food, knowing their bottomless stomachs. But the ones left wave excitedly back at him, shouting their greetings.

“Luhan hyung, are you done?”

The deer blinks and turns to Dongho. “Hm? What did you say?”

“I asked if you needed more water, hyung.”

“Oh. No thanks, I’m good right now. But thank you.” He smiles at the younger who nods and then repeats his question to Hoya.

Dongwan claps his hands, getting their attention. “Alright everyone, is anyone tired enough to need a sub?”

No one dares answers, knowing their response won’t get them anywhere anyway. Even if their feet hurt and they’re gasping for breath, none would admit to wanting a substation.

Dongwan smiles. “Good. But if I see you dragging out there on the field, I’m going to send someone in.”

“Yes hyunmin,” they say in unison.

A ref walks over to their huddle, stopwatch in hand. “One minute warning,” he tells Dongwan who nods and thanks him. After the man leaves, he turns back to his team.

“Remember what I said. Just like in practice, right? Just keep doing what you’re doing, only a little more refined and the victory is ours.”


“That was so close!” complains Jongin as yet another try on Korea’s part had left them disappointed. “So close! He should have made it!”

“He seems to feel that way too,” Baekhyun adds, noticing the deep frown on Junsu’s face as he prepares for the goal kick. Luhan offers a pat on the back and quick words of encouragement before the ball is in play once again.

It has been sixty-five minutes in and China had managed to score a goal, bypassing Hoya’s and Dongho’s try at defense. So now, with the score 1-0, the Korean team is getting a little panicky.

“Come on Luhan, come on,” murmurs Sehun, his eyes never leaving his boyfriend.  There have been times when Luhan has slipped or ran into another player or fallen and his chest tightens every time.

Jongdae feels it too, having stood up in his seat when Minseok was knocked to the ground for a moment.

“This is so nerve-wracking,” declares Zitao, his grip on Yifan’s hand tight in worry. “I can’t stand it!”

You can’t stand it? It’s much worse for them,” retorts Jongdae, on the edge of his seat.

“Yeah Doojoon hyung, go! Go!” shouts Chanyeol as Doojoon gets the ball away from a Chinese player and heads up the field, towards the Chinese goal. “Run! Run!”

“It’s a breakaway!” Joonmyun exclaims as Doojoon passes it to Minho, who immediately runs past the other team’s midfielders. It’s just him and the ball that meet the Chinese defenders and he works some complicated footwork trying to keep the ball away from them.

“Help him!” Baekhyun yells, as if the players could hear him among all the other screams of the crowd. “Help him!”

They hold their breath as Luhan and Junsu make their way to the goal, jogging past the Chinese players to try and help Minho.

“Go hyung!” Zitao shouts as Minho shoots to ball towards Junsu, who bounces it between two Chinese players in an effort to get to the goal. Luhan is hovering nearby, getting in the way of the opposing team to make things easier for Junsu.

Face concentrated, Junsu spins around one last player before he aims and shoots towards a corner of the goal. It slips right past the goalie’s fingers and rolls into the net.

“Goal!” the crowd screams in unison, cheering loudly at the turn of events.

Junsu runs from the goal, hugging Luhan first and then Minho, huge smiles on their faces as the rest of their team barrels towards him, all yelling and celebrating and soon the three are surrounded by the whole team.

“They got it!” Baekhyun starts to dance, right in his seat, not caring that he bumps into Chanyeol and Joonmyun who are on either side of him. But they don’t seem to mind either, too busy cheering along.

“Now it’s a tie! We are one step closer to victory!” Jongin beams brightly, latching onto Kyungsoo’s arm.

Sehun smiles down, cheering with the others but the thing that makes him the most happy is the huge grin Luhan is sporting as he gathers with his team. Luhan’s smile is beautiful and wonderful, all the way to his back teeth and making his eyes crinkle, eyes sparkling.

Just one more thing he loves about Luhan.


Fifteen minutes later, it’s still a tie and both teams are getting tired, even though they are determined not to crack.

Dongwan had put in Donghae for Leo, seeing as the elder was becoming a little drained with keeping up with the opposing team. Now with a fresh fish on their team, the Koreans seem to be pushing the Chinese back little by little.

But it still isn’t enough.

They get another breakaway, Luhan this time, as he races down the field. Sehun watches proudly, even as he bites his nails from nervousness. Baekhyun’s squeals aren’t helping matters either.

Luhan is met with the three defenders, all vying to get the ball. He does a great job of keeping it away from them until one tries sticking his foot between Luhan’s legs to try and get it.

 As Luhan turns, his feet get caught on the other’s legs and he stumbles, arms flailing to get his balance. He remains upright but as he spins around to untangle his legs, the other Chinese man is close by and lunges for the ball, accidentally kicking Luhan in the process and hooking his foot around his.

His legs still twisted, Luhan falls to the ground, his head cracking against the grass and he sees stars before his eyes. Having enough sense, he rolls out of the way of the still moving feet, clutching at his head.

He hears the ref’s whistle blow but then everything else is white noise, seeming to be coming through cotton. He sees Junsu and Minseok almost through a haze as they run to him worriedly, seeing him not getting up immediately, which is unlike the deer.

“Yah, Luhan, are you okay?” asks Minseok, kneeling down next to him. “Luhan?” He notices Luhan seems to be almost struggling for a breath, his eyes wide and his chest heaving.

“Get a doctor!” Junsu calls to the ref, who nods and goes to fetch one. The rest of the Korean team gathers around Luhan, worry present on their faces.

“Is hyung okay?” Niel tugs on Hoya’s arm. The elder doesn’t respond, still not too sure himself. It had looked like a pretty nasty fall and the way Luhan is acting now, it couldn’t just be a little something.

“Luhan, listen to me. Where does it hurt?” Minseok hesitantly touches Luhan’s arm, looking intently into his dazed eyes. The deer is biting his lip hard to keep groans of pain coming out and he closes his eyes, a pounding headache starting to form. He’s almost caught his breath but his head hurts like nothing else.

“Head,” he manages through gritted teeth and even though it’s not much, Minseok thinks it’s better than him not talking at all. Even the slightest movement sends pain vibrating through his skull.

“He said it was his head,” he explains to the doctor who just arrived. Nodding, the elder man nudges the other players aside to get a closer look at Luhan. Even though he gingerly feels his forehead, the deer still lets out a little gasp of pain, his eyes almost watering.

“Time out! We need just a few minutes,” Junsu explains to the ref who agrees.

“Just two, or he has to get off the field and playing continues.”

“Thank you.” Junsu turns back to his dongsaengs who are huddled together, watching the doctor take care of Luhan.

“He’ll be fine,” Donghae tries to assure them. “Nothing Luhan can’t handle.”

“But what if hyung is seriously hurt?” Yukwon looks anxious as he runs a hand through sweaty hair. “It looked painful.”

“Luhan hyung’s strong,” Minho says, shifting from one foot to the other as he cranes his neck to see how Luhan is doing. “He’ll be up in no time.”

“We don’t have a lot of time left,” points out Minhyuk, having abandoned the goal for now to meet with the others. “What if he has to go out?”

“We’ll work something out,” Hoya says, trying to remain positive. “We always do.”


Sehun almost stops breathing when he sees Luhan fall, his head cracking backwards. And then he doesn’t get up.

That makes it all the worse.

“Lulu?” He stands up in his seat, watching as the ref calls the game to a halt for now. The rest of the team gathers around Luhan, until he’s blocked from his view. “Luhan!”

“Do you think hyung is okay?” Zitao glances over at Sehun worriedly but the younger isn’t paying attention to him, too focused on his boyfriend.

“He looked like he hit his head hard,” Chanyeol comments, a little worried.

“I always warned him to be careful. Aish, it looked painful,” agrees Joonmyun, anxiously trying to see Luhan among the other players.

Sehun can’t see his boyfriend very well right now but that doesn’t stop him. He scoots past the others, ignoring their protests as he makes his way down the row and to the stairs.

“Wait Sehun, you can’t go down there!” Joonmyun calls but the younger disregards him, his thoughts on one thing only.

He leaps over the gate blocking the steps down to the field and starts to descend them, worry for his boyfriend mounting.

“Sir, I’m afraid this is off limits,” one security guard tries to tell him but it’s no use, as Sehun is already on the turf.

“I need to see Luhan.”

“Sir, I must ask you to go back to-yah!”

Sehun has pushed past him, focused on nothing but getting to Luhan. The fact his lover is hurt and he’s expected to stand by and watch is unacceptable.

He marches, ignoring the security guard’s annoyed voices, straight up to Dongwan who is pacing the sidelines worriedly. “Is Luhan okay?”

The elder turns to him in surprise, forehead creased. “What-Sehun? You’re not supposed to be here! How did you even get here?”

“What about Luhan hyung? Is he okay?” Sehun can’t believe how unbelievably uncooperative they are being. He just wants to know if Luhan is going to be okay! How is it so hard?

Dongwan looks past him and Sehun follows his gaze to see Luhan sitting up and then being escorted off the field by Minseok, stumbling slightly as the doctor and a few other worried members follow.

Sehun dashes from the sidelines to meet them, worry making it hard to breathe. But he swallows it down. “Lulu, are you okay?”

“Sehun?” Luhan looks up to see the younger in front of him. He blinks slowly, his head still pounding, like a jackhammer being shoved through his brain. “How-how are you…?” The other smiles, coming on his other side to take his arm and help him the remainder of the way.

“I needed to make sure you are alright, hyung.” Sehun can tell though, that Luhan is not fully okay. His face is pale and tinged with pain and he continues to bite his lip hard, almost bringing blood. His eyes are unfocused and dazed, with misery etched into his features but he tries to hide it.

They set Luhan down on the bench where the others immediately flock to him, concern evident on their faces.

Dongwan shoos them away quickly before turning to the deer. “How do you feel Luhan? Can you play?”

Sehun frowns. Is that the only thing on his mind right now?

Luhan nods hesitantly, even though it seems like bowling pins are rolling around in his head as he does so. “I just…just need a minute. Need to get my bearings.”

“What? Luhan, you’re not playing,” protests Sehun, surprised he would be up to playing after this. His eyes still seem a little blurry and even his words are slurred a bit.

Luhan levels his gaze on Sehun, even as he blinks away the dark spots. “I need to play. I’m a forward.”

“But-”

“Drop it, Sehun,” Luhan says, his eyes intent on his boyfriend’s face. His head is clearing now and it doesn’t hurt too much anymore. The world is still moving a little slowly but he’s sure as soon as he starts playing, it will fade.

“You have a minute, coach,” the ref reminds Dongwan. “Otherwise we need to start and you can sub if you want.”

Dongwan nods. “Thank you.”

“I feel fine. I’m going to play.” Luhan stands up, a little wobbly and grabs onto Sehun for support. But he shakes the dizziness away, already feeling like his old self again. “I just-just need a minute.”

The coach looks at him, thinking, but then sighs and nods. “If you insist. Just don’t hurt yourself again.” Luhan grimaces.

“Don’t worry, I have no plan too.”

“Lulu, are you sure?” Sehun gazes at him, apprehensive of letting his boyfriend go back out there. “It’s okay if-”

“Oh Sehun, I swear if you don’t stop now, no for a month.”

Sehun’s mouth drops open. Luhan had said that quietly so only they could hear but he still feels his cheeks heat. “Yah! That’s not fair!”

“I’m playing.”

Seeing as he has no other choice in the matter, the younger sighs. In fact, he’s glad Luhan seems enough like himself to joke around like this. “Fine. But be careful.”

“Coach, are you ready?” the ref asks, coming over. Dongwan nods, gesturing to Luhan to go back out on the field.

“Get back out there Luhan.”

“Yes hyungnim.”

“I’m still cheering for you,” Sehun tells the deer.

The elder smiles, his headache almost gone. “I’ll do my best to make you proud.”

“I’m already proud.” Sehun presses a kiss to Luhan’s forehead. The elder smiles wider and nods before turning to go back to the soccer field.

Sighing, Sehun makes his way back to his seat, escorted by annoyed security. As soon as he reaches to row, he’s bombarded with questions and puts his hands over his ears.

“He’s fine, just knocked the breath from him and hurt his head a little bit.”

“Thank goodness,” sighs Joonmyun and Yixing nods in agreement, entangling their fingers together.

“Looks like that hard head hyung has is good for more than one thing,” Jongdae says cheekily, cheerfully ignoring Sehun’s glare.

“Maybe this will give the team more energy or something,” says Jongin hopefully, happy his hyung is okay.

Baekhyun frowns. “They’re going to need more than energy for this match. They need strategy or defense or something.”

Yifan waves a hand, his eyes focused on the game. As many times as Luhan had dragged him to watch soccer, he finds he actually does enjoy it a little. “They’ll work something out.”


Luhan falters a little bit the first few minutes he’s back in the game but slowly gets the hang of it once more. The player that had caused him to fall had come up to him and apologized in broken Korean and Luhan was quick to assure him, in Chinese, that he was fine. Seeing the other player grin when hearing Luhan speak his native language to him makes Luhan happy as well, even if they are enemies.

But back to the game.

The score is still a tie and with only six or so minutes left, both teams are getting desperate and taking wild shots. Minhyuk is on his toes the whole time, barely saving half the shots made at him.

The defense is still working hard but the Chinese keep pushing and pushing and it’s getting harder to keep their shield strong.

Donghae had managed a breakaway and races down the field, intent on scoring. Luhan and Junsu flank him, ready to help at a moment’s notice.

Unable to get a clear shot, Donghae passes to Luhan who spins around another player, seeing a small opening. But it’s better than nothing.

He shoots but he must have miscalculated, because the ball goes a little too much to the right and misses the goal.

“Aish!” he grumbles, hearing the rise and fall of the crowd as they realize the miss. Donghae gives him a wide smile of encouragement.

“So close, Luhan!” he calls, patting an expressionless Junsu on the back. The elder manages a tight smile before jogging backwards for the goal kick.

They have another try a few minutes later, where Yukwon directs an exceptional pass to Minho, who takes it all the way down the field, eyes focused and narrowed. He manages to avoid the other defenders except for one, who comes to close and, in trying to get the ball, ends up tripping Minho before falling down beside him.

Annoyed, Minho sits up and glances at the ref, who does assign a yellow card to the Chinese player. Luhan comes over to help Minho up and brushes some grass from his uniform.

“Okay there, Minho?” he asks and the younger nods, frowning.

“I was so close, too.”

“I know, I know. But we still have a chance.”

Minho’s frown deepens. “In five minutes.” Yet his mood changes drastically as the ref motions a penalty kick. “But don’t worry! We’ll get this and win, hyung.”

Luhan nods and smiles a little bit at his determination. He starts to understand a little of what Taemin sees in him.

Turns out, Minho had kicked it perfectly into Junsu’s waiting embrace but unfortunately, the goal was not meant to be then.

Now with only four minutes left, they’re getting desperate with a win. Even with an extra couple of minutes as stoppage time, it’s still not too much time for them to be able to clinch the victory.

After blocking a player’s advances, Hoya passes straight to Niel, who manages to make it halfway up the field before being detained. He kicks the ball at Yukwon, who thanks to his quick footwork, avoids another Chinese player.

He and Niel continue to pass it back and forth to each other until the opposing team gets in the way and Yukwon is forced to pass it over to Luhan.

Running up the field and keeping the ball close to him, Luhan shoots it towards Junsu, hope wired in every muscle.

They’re now in the goal box, them and the other Chinese defenders. Luhan is hovering near the goalie, trusting Yukwon to help Junsu since he is closer as some other members come to join them.

Chancing a glance at the clock, Luhan sees they have two minutes left. Adrenaline whips through him as Junsu takes a shot.

He misses.

But it bounces off the goalie’s knee and sensing an opening, Luhan lunges forward, stretching out his foot and hitting it with the toe of his shoe, rolling it cleanly into the net.

 A huge roar erupts from the crowd but Luhan can’t see it over Yukwon tackling him to the ground, acting like a little kid as he starts yelling. Donghae soon joins him, as does Niel and Minho and soon almost the whole team is in one big pile, with delicate Luhan at the bottom.

 “We still have a minute everyone!” Junsu shouts but he’s grinning wildly too, looking years younger than he really is.

They soon get untangled at the refs annoyed directions and get back in their positions, smiles still stuck to their faces.

“Defense! Defense!” repeats Dongwan loudly from the sidelines, even though he’s almost giddy with excitement as well. His team merely nods, feeling the win is so near, even though they still do have to be on their guard.

It’s over seconds later. Korea has won, 2-1.

The whole team comes out to the middle of the field, wanting to celebrate but settling for quick hugs instead.

Luhan is in the center of it all but he still credits Junsu and Yukwon for setting it all up for him. He disentangles himself from the team as he shakes hands with the Chinese who do look quite put-out, although per up when Luhan speaks to them in Chinese. They then quickly thank the refs, itching to be done.

Now is the time for celebration. The whole team is hugging and yelling and cheering, happy to have won and done it together.

Looking up, over the heads of his teammates, his spots his group of friends celebrating as well, Sehun right in the thick of it.

Almost sensing his gaze, Sehun glances over at him and grins widely, a grin that has only graced his face a few times.

That makes Luhan smile all the more.


“How does it feel to have scored the winning goal?” a journalist asks at the press conference following the game. They are all seated at a long table with microphones, ready to answer any questions.

Everyone turns to look at Luhan, who looks a little shy.

“It was mostly Junsu hyung, he set it up perfectly for me. It was a rebound of sorts. But it feels good all the same. I’m happy that we were able to emerge victorious by working together.”

There are smiles from the rest of the team and Minseok pats his arm gently.

“And what about your head? Did you have a concussion?” another inquires but the deer shakes his head.

“I don’t think it’s a concussion. Mostly I just had the wind knocked out of me and needed some space.”

“The doctors did confirm it isn’t anything serious,” adds Dongwan and the reporters immediately focus on him.

With the attention off of him, Luhan breathes a sigh of relief and looks in the crowd behind the swarm of reporters to see his group of friends there, beaming and waving. He manages a smile in their direction, his eyes finding Sehun immediately.

He really wishes they could just go and celebrate now but the public wants to know things about them and he figures he owes them that much.

“So how was it playing against your home country?” A man directs his question at Luhan, looking curious. The deer pauses, thinking.

“Not as hard as I thought.”

“And if he ever felt uncomfortable, he didn’t show it,” adds Minho. “Hyung didn’t hold anything back.” Luhan smiles at him gently.

“Thanks Minho. This is my home now, so it felt great playing for it.” There’s a collective content murmuring from the crowd.

“How does it feel beating China? And then to an extent, what that means for the team?” Another woman inquires, her question for the whole team to respond to.

“It feels nice, that we’re able to make our country proud,” Minseok says, taking a sip from his water bottle.

“It’s exciting!” Niel continues, grinning brightly. The crowd immediately turns to him, wanting to know what the youngest has to say. “Almost-almost unbelievable.”

“Everyone did very well and I’m so very proud of them,” Dongwan says, looking at his team kindly.

“Thanks hyungmin. We tried our hardest,” Donghae smiles.

“And it shows,” adds Yukwon, waving to his boyfriend Minhyuk in the crowd, not shy at all about it.

“We’re ready for the next time,” Doojoon declares, nudging Leo next to him. The other merely nods, not much for talking at conferences.

“We’ll just have to work harder in the future,” says Junsu, determined to make their win worthwhile.


“You were great out there hyung!” Zitao hugs Luhan tightly. The team had just finished changing and was going out to celebrate at a restaurant with their friends and family. They had decided that tomorrow would be a celebration just among the team, because they wouldn’t even have gotten here if not for others.

“You were so close sometimes, I thought I was going to cry,” comments Baekhyun, shoving Zitao aside so he could hug his hyung.

“Your defense was amazing.” Jongdae sloppily kisses Minseok and the elder blushes slightly, tugging at the hem of his shirt.

“It was so nerve-wracking!” declares Jongin, squeezing past Jongdae so he could hug Minseok. “I can’t imagine going out and doing that.”

“Isn’t dancing kind of similar though?” wonders Chanyeol. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and swats at his boyfriend.

“How did you figure that out?”

As they continue to banter among themselves, Sehun tries to slide past them to get to his boyfriend, wanting to congratulate him personally.

But Minho gets there first, Taemin hanging on his arm. “Good job today, hyung. We won because of you.”

Luhan laughs lightly and pats Minho on the arm. “Thanks, but it wasn’t because of me. The whole team helped us win.”

“You were amazing out there!” chimes in Taemin, his short hair pulled back into a ponytail. “Maybe Minho hyung could use some of your pointers.”

“Yah!” Minho glares at his boyfriend who smiles sweetly at him. “You didn’t sound that way last night.”

“Too much information,” Luhan says, grinning and laughing a little. “But thanks anyhow.”

“See you at the restaurant then?”

“Of course.” He wouldn’t miss it for the world. What better way to celebrate than with the very people who made victory possible?

“Bye hyung!” Taemin waves, still smiling innocently.

As the two leave, Sehun comes up behind Luhan and hugs him. “My congratulations.”

Luhan hums in contentment. “Thanks Sehunnie.” He pulls out the nickname that he rarely uses for the younger, knowing he doesn’t like it too much because it makes him feel like a kid. But Luhan thinks it’s cute.

“How are you feeling?”

Luhan sighs happily. “It’s…unbelievable. I still don’t think it’s real.” Sehun turns the elder around in his arms, so he’s able to see his pretty face.

“You deserve it, every bit of it. But I meant about your head.”

“Oh. Alright. I think it was more shock than anything.”

“I hope your head is feeling better hyung!” Niel calls across the locker room from where he’s conversing with Changjo, one of his closest friends.

“You don’t feel dizzy or anything, right?” Hoya turns from his conversation with Sungjong, Myungsoo, and Dongwoo to look at the deer in concern.

Luhan waves it away. “I’m fine, don’t worry,” he reassures them, not noticing Sehun’s face darken slightly at the fact his boyfriend’s attention isn’t all on him.

“It scared me, you know,” he murmurs into his ear, making tingles skip down the deer’s spine.

“It comes with the job description.” Luhan waves to Minhyuk, congratulating him on a job well done and Sehun frowns again, holding the deer closer to him.

Luhan is his.

“I need to see them too,” Luhan mumbles against Sehun as once again, his boyfriend tries to shield him from view.

“You’ll get to see them tonight.”

Luhan’s eyes turn mischievous. “Speaking of tonight, what about my reward?”

Sehun smirks. “What about it? Isn’t winning enough?”

“Sehun!” whines Luhan, starting to pout. “You said I would get a reward if we won! And we did. So now I want it.”

“Well then.” Sehun leans down and presses a soft kiss to Luhan’s lips, smiling against his mouth.

“I think I thought of a perfect reward.”