All of Me, All of You

All of Me, All of You

The aroma of a freshly brewed coffee assaulted my senses, partially pulling me to consciousness. Someone must be up early, I thought. I was about to stir out of bed when out of the depths of my conscious, I remembered that we did not have any filming today. I mentally smiled and was about to shift for a better position when I felt the bed heave to an added weight.

Ah, here he is… I turned to his side and smiled weakly, still trapped in the net of somnolence.

And then I felt his soft hand caress my left cheek, then a fleeting touch of his lips to my forehead. I felt my heart do a somersault.

I was about to pull him to lie beside me when he whispered to my ear, “Dahae-ah, c’mon wake up. We have a long day today.”

And to that, I snapped my eyes open. “I thought we didn’t have any shooting today.” I whined.

“That’s right, we don’t. Which is why you should haul yourself out of bed and eat the breakfast I prepared so that we could get going. The road to Gangwon is long. We only have one day.” He answered me tolerantly as if I was a little child trying to talk her way out of an unwanted field trip.

“Gangwon? What are we going to do in Gangwon?” I asked, irritation starting to make its way to my own voice. I was still groggy from sleep, and I just want to spend the rest of the day sleeping, or better yet, cuddling him; and here he is, up and about wanting to go on an adventure. The man didn’t even have a good night’s sleep for a whole week.

He showed me two tickets and I furrowed my brows together. He was grinning his adorable close-mouthed grin, and my irritation flew out of the window just like that.

“What are those?” I asked giving up my notion of sleeping all day. One just cannot resist the charms of this one. Besides, he only demands every once in a while, so who am I to complain.

“Tickets to Seoraksan Park cable car. You told me once that you wanted to try bungee jumping when you saw me do it on Running Man. Since we can’t go to Macau while we’re still filming, I figured we can make do with this cable car instead. And there aren’t going to be many people, so.” He explained lengthily, looking proud of himself. I can see that childish glint in his eyes, and all I could do is to throw the blanket to his direction and stalk out of the bedroom and go inside the bathroom.

After I finished cleaning up, I went out to the dining room and was surprised with the breakfast he prepared. He must have got out of bed too early to prepare all this. I know he loves cooking and he only gets few chances to do it now, so I guess he just took the opportunity. He loves showing off his cooking skills, and I can only feel lucky. I love it when he pampers me like this.

“So what’s the occasion, Oppa?” I asked him as I pulled the chair in front of him; he was already sitting down. He was wearing a simple navy blue sweatshirt and a pair of gray jogging pants, his hair still wet after taking a bath; and he was beaming at me mischievously. “Ah, ah, arasseo, arasseo.” I dismissed his incoming answer jokingly, feeling tiny butterflies flutter ceaselessly inside my stomach, my heart’s thumping suddenly picking up its speed. I picked up the chopsticks beside me and began eating. He was looking at me the whole time.

“AHH! Maa!” I exclaimed heartily, showing him a thumbs up. It was really good. I cannot believe my luck.

“I know,” he answered impishly. He was also starting on his food.

He was eating with gusto, and he looked so beautiful even when he devours his food like that. My expression softened as I got caught in a trance watching him. It was as if the whole world disappeared, the walls of the dining room disappeared along with everything surrounding us. There was just him, chewing his food and me watching him. How can a man look so beautiful?

“Oy, I know I’m good-looking, but you should finish your food before the sun rises at its peak,” he quipped, and I felt a rush of blood to my face as he caught me staring at him. To make matters worse, he just laughed at my embarrassment. Ugh, the nerve of this man.

To hide my embarrassment, I just matched his gusto and enjoyed the food that he prepared for me.

Giving this relationship a second shot isn’t bad; not bad at all.

It has already been months since that night when he came knocking at my door, worry written all over his face. He pulled me to a tight embrace the moment he saw me, and I remember breaking down in front of him. I was going through the roughest part of my life—and I was feeling utterly lost and abandoned. I was on the verge of losing my trust in people, on the verge of giving up on my career.

He came back to my life after all those years since we broke up, brandishing that very element that allowed him, and him only to crash whatever wall I have started to build around me to separate me from the rest of the world. I tried to keep him out of my life; especially at that time. I didn’t want him to see me at the lowest point of my life. But the man was stubborn, and he all but forced his way back into my life. I ceded and laid down whatever weapon I had to keep him out. I realized then that I wanted him to be part of my life. I always have. Much has happened already, and I couldn’t even remember what took us apart too long, and it was painful, so painful trying to figure it out.

But he was there; after all the waiting-- I realized I’ve been waiting all along-- he came back. And at that time, it was enough.

The man knew my heart so well, and he knew just what he needed to do to prevent me from retreating to the deepest and darkest recesses of my being. He never let me go, never allowed me to let go. And before I knew it, I was able to stand on my feet again. He helped in every way possible for a human being to do for another. And I could only be grateful. Grateful that in the darkest hour of my life, God sent me this firm anchor that prevented me from sailing helplessly into vast stormy seas.

And before I knew it, I was beginning to see the world in the original light I used to see it with. He helped me haul back the faith that was teetering dangerously out of my grasp. He helped me trust again. And then, I was back.

And in that moment, my heart seemed to whisper to me with conviction that I was madly in love with Lee Dong Wook… I loved him more than I ever did.

….

….

It was almost eight o’ clock in the morning when I was done dressing up. I chose a simple black one-piece long-sleeved dress that reached up to my knees. I wore a light make-up and let my hair down, wavy locks finding their way to the middle of my back.

“Aren’t you going to be cold wearing that?” He asked me as he got ready himself. He was wearing a cream short-sleeved polo shirt, and a pair of khaki pants. As always, he looked dashing.

“Nope. It’s already summer, Oppa, remember? Your country bumpkin self is showing again.” I answered him, tolerance in my voice. He always had the gall to make quick remarks on my wardrobe. He could be a little conservative sometimes. Even before, years ago when we were together, he didn’t like me wearing daring clothes that show a bit too much skin. He would always rebuke me about it, not that I listen to him when he did, but I know he was only looking after me. I was young and outgoing, and I like feeling liberated. I can choose to wear whatever the heck I wanted to wear. But now, as a grown woman, I realized that he was right. Of course, he was right.

“Alright, have it your way. Ready?” He said, raising his eyebrows as he did. He was flashing his wide smile again that sends multiple arrows everywhere. Seriously, a smile like that should be banned. It could kill. Or perhaps, he could put a patent on it, just in case someone decides to copy it.

“Yup!” I told him cheerfully, matching his good mood. In the end, I brought a pair of leggings as well as a pair of hiking shoes just in case we decide to hike the mountains.

We left the unit together, headed for the elevators to get to the parking lot. I was feeling giddy; for the first time in weeks, we aren’t surrounded by our respective staff, the drama crew and cast; it was just me and him.

I looked up at him and saw that he was excited too. There was a tiny smile that was plastered permanently on his lips, and his eyes were dancing with something that I could only place as happiness.

We were ready for this road trip.

….

….

It was a three-hour trip from Seoul to Gangwondo Province, and all this time, Dongwook was talking animatedly about how excited he was to see the mountains, castle ruins, and the beach in the province.

He was rambling along the lines of “when we have the time maybe we don’t need to take the cable cars and hike the mountains instead” and “we could go skiing during the winter” and “go on a trip abroad after our shooting” and so many other plans that only barely registered in my mind as I got busy examining his features as he lit up enumerating all the things that he wanted to do together—the way his eyes sparkled at his excitement, his strong nose that slanted with a bit of convex as it peaked, the way his supple, red lips moved animatedly as he talked, his high cheekbones and his prominent jaw, down to his porcelain white neck that was scattered with tiny clumps of melanin, and—

He stopped talking abruptly and I realized that he was looking at my direction. My eyes darted back to his eyes, pausing fleetingly at his now closed lips. His eyes harbored that mischievous amusement that I know too well. Ah, I was caught.

His face broke into that painfully wide grin of his, baring his perfect set of white teeth, the skin at the side of his eyes gathering together, crinkling into fine lines, and ugh, how could he look so handsome even when he was teasing? I feigned irritation and looked at the road instead.

I looked out my window and observed that changing sceneries around us. From the hustle bustle of Seoul Metropolitan, to its outskirts, and finally to the foliage that continued to increase in number as we neared the province. All this time, we were talking about everything that we could come up with. When I am with him, there is just no end to the things that we could talk about; but my favorite is when we talk about the things that we are yet about to do. We talk of going out of town more often, of visiting my family in Australia, going on a mystical trip to some exotic place we have not yet explored, going on a Europe tour—there is just no end to it as if we have all the time in the world.

But I know we didn’t, and for now, we choose to dream and be content with what we can do at the moment.

It wasn’t long before we arrived at our target place; we proceeded to the cable car entrance, and luckily, it wasn’t packed with people. There were a few throngs of locals, mostly middle-aged aunts and uncles that are lining up on the ticket booths, drinking coffee at the café at the entrance, and the a few people in queue to ride the cable cars. Since we already acquired the tickets to the cable car, we proceeded to fall in line with the few number of aunts and uncles.

To be safe, we tried to be incognito without getting too much attention to ourselves. And then it was time for us to ride the cable car.

There was only a pair of elderly couple that got inside a cable car with us, so we decided to shed away our disguise. It was liberating, really—to be able to go out with him this way, not fearing critical eyes that might be following our every move, and not fearing any nasty scandal that might erupt—just us, enjoying our time, along with the sweet old couple that seemed oblivious to our presence as they were entranced by the majesty that came to unfold before their and our eyes.

I looked around and my breath was caught in my throat as I let my eyes roam around me. The clear glasses of the cable car allowed us to enjoy the greatness of the mountains. We saw the renowned Gwongeumseong Fortress and the ruins of past kingdom that once stood as a sentinel protecting the people of the province in the olden times. I was so knee-deep in my wonderment at the craggy peaks of the mountains that are scattered with various trees and shrubberies giving off a spectacular view when observed overhead. In the summer, the plants are so green and welcoming, and for a second, I wanted to just get lost in them in the mountains. We passed a ravine that s around at the foot of a mountain, and again, I was transfixed with awe.

My eyes drifted to my side in which my partner was standing, and I was caught in surprise when I realized that he was looking at me so intently, curiously, and so tenderly—that kind of look that gets me weak on my knees. There, I found that all-too-familiar tenderness that reveals itself to me in those unguarded moments. For a long time, our eyes are locked in our silent gaze, baring the deepest and most soulful secrets buried in the cockles of our hearts. I could see sincerity in his eyes, I could read contentment, and I understood, there was love. I was so lost in the depth of his eyes, so entranced that I completely forgot about the majesty all around us. There was just him and me, and our silent reverence. I know whatever I see in his eyes are mirrored into mine, and I wanted to let him know everything that I was feeling just as he was letting me know of everything that he was feeling.

If only time could stay still for a little bit longer.

But it just wouldn’t. Before we knew it, we had to break free from each other’s hypnosis because we were nearing the end of our journey. I noticed and he did too—that the couple with us are watching us with soft amusement, and they were wearing their too precious smiles that somehow tells me that they were glad to watch us as we unravel ourselves to each other.

I heard Dongwook clear his throat before he forced his eyes to the various peaks of mountains beneath and around us.

I felt his arm snake around my shoulder as he looked on, and I ceded and rested my head on his shoulder.

This was the man who accepted me for all me, who was willing to pick up my pieces when they lay all scattered to pieces, who looked at me as if I was the most wonderful thing he has ever laid his eyes on—it was this man who offered me all he could possibly give, and who took everything that I could possibly give—heart, body, and soul.

Things wouldn’t be so easy as we go on, but as long as I am with him, I know I am willing to face anything.

I know we only have so much time to spend our lifetime in this world, but this, I am sure—I can only see myself living the rest of it with him.

********************************

YEY! ALL DONE! Thanks for reading! Do leave a comment! 

I just want to let you guys know that I have never been to South Korea, much less Gangwon Province, and I've never seen the mountain peaks and its foliage in person, so I only relied on some websites in the interwebs for my description of the said place. If there is any inaccuracy, pardon the poor girl. haha. :))

The assumption in this fic is that Lee Dong Wook and Lee Da Hae got back together after their break-up years ago, and are currently living together in some high-rise condominium in South Korea, probably in Gangnam. Keke. I left some scenarios for your imagination to work on because I am pressed for time; medicine and its world of jargon are now calling my attention.

And oh, some facts again: Lee Dong Wook really did a Bungee Jump on Running Man (episode 132 if I am not mistaken). And Lee Da Hae really went through a really tough time some time back. She was depressed, and got out of radar, and then after some time, we got to see the news of her and Lee Dong Wook's reunion in Hotel King. Lee Dong Wook was the one who hauled her into accepting her role as Ah Mo Ne in Hotel King. Fascinating, isn't it?

Suspicion: they dated back in 2006 and broke up in 2008. Believe if you want to, don't if you don't. :p