seven

Escape

Hot streams of water splash Sehun's face and trail down his pale, thin body, embracing him in a soothing warmth. Luckily, he, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol managed to find a nearby gym where the water still worked. As he enjoys the few moments away from the latter two, only thoughts of Luhan fill his mind. He regrets destroying his phone in his fit of rage, severely limiting his ability to assess the things Luhan said earlier. Not to mention, he restricted his information sources to a total of one, namely, Baekhyun. Sehun lathers his face with soap and water, trying to massage the stress away. The water drips from the fringe of his hair while Sehun blankly stares at the whirlpool created by the drain, the water and his sanity alike swirling away.

"Sehuna!" Chanyeol booms with his deep voice, banging on the bathroom door. Sehun had insisted that he was shy and needed the entire locker room to himself, else he wouldn't be able to shower, but in reality, he just didn't want to hear Baekhyun and Chanyeol's blubbering voices while he attempted to regain some composure via a nice, warm shower. "Sehunnnn!!!" Chanyeol whines, the door rattling violently from his fists.

"What?" Sehun replies with a total lack or urgency, unlike Chanyeol, annoyed to have been interrupted from his quiet time.

"Are you done in there? I have to pee like hell!" Chanyeol says, and Sehun wonders when they became so close that Chanyeol would feel comfortable sharing information like that. But maybe Chanyeol was just that way, Sehun reasons, merely sighing, mussing his mop of hair with a towel before wrapping it around his waist. He steps out without so much as a grunt, but Chanyeol is too busy dancing around like an idiot to care. "Thanks!" he manages before waddling into the bathroom, making a break for one of the stalls.

Sehun huffs, the anxiety he feels either for or because of Luhan (he can't decide) nagging at his thoughts again. He throws his clothes on carelessly, hardly considering to straighten them out, so the first thing he hears when he walks out of the room is, "Your shirt's inside out." The sound of Baekhyun's voice startles him a bit; he wasn't expecting him to be there, and in all honesty, Sehun momentarily forgot of his existence altogether, too occupied with thoughts of Luhan, or rather, a black, inescapable hole of confusion.

"Huh? Oh," Sehun replies simply. He ignores the comment, sauntering over to the lobby sofa Baekhyun sits on, and plopping down a sizeable distance from the smaller boy. Sehun never looks at Baekhyun, spacing out instead.

"Still stuck on Luhan?" Baekhyun questions, not needing a reply to know the answer. He looks at Sehun with expectant eyes, noticing the way Sehun winces when he says Luhan's name. Sehun hates the way it sounds coming from Baekhyun's lips, his tone treating it as if it were the name of a scumbag ex-boyfriend Sehun could just toss aside without looking back. The more Baekhyun speaks, the more Sehun's blood begins to boil. "You're better off without him, Sehun. You should just -"

"What are you not telling me?" Sehun rudely cuts in, but rightfully so. "You have to be hiding something!" he shouts, Baekhyun patiently listening to Sehun's accusations. "The story you're telling me doesn't make sense.. There has to be something missing." Sehun's suspicious stare attempts to break through Baekhyun's calm demeanor, but Baekhyun is no weakling, and it will take much more on Sehun's part to break him.

"I've already told you everything, Sehun," Baekhyun deadpans with a poker face so strong, it's as if it was carved in stone.

"I don't care if you tell me a hundred times. I just can't believe you until I talk to Luhan."

"Well then you shouldn't have thrown your phone against a wall now, hm?" Baekhyun's attack is short and sweet, reliant on the sting of truth to inject its poison into Sehun's veins. He sees it spreads quickly by the way Sehun clenches his teeth and fists at the remark.

"I'm going to go find Luhan," Sehun declares in a voice so low, it's a bit scary. At least, by his standards; Baekhyun remains unfazed. Instilled with some newfound resolve, Sehun picks up his toes, rotating on his heels to face the door. He steps forward with his right foot, his left heel lifting off the ground to take the next fiery step forward. He'll blaze a trail to Luhan if he has to. Though his efforts fall to an abrupt halt by the sharp pull of his collar from behind, choking him at his Adam's apple. 

"Sorry Sehunnie," Chanyeol apologizes in vain. "But I can't let you do that." He has a singular long and slender finger hooked in Sehun's shirt, restraining him effortlessly.

"Why not?" Sehun asks with a mix of authority and whining. Though Sehun would like to think it's 80/20, he (and everyone else) knows that it's quite the opposite. That's quite generous in reality however. What authority does Sehun hold over Baekhyun and Chanyeol?

"Because!" Chanyeol blurts. Before continuing his answer, he steals a glance at Baekhyun, who watches him with eagle eyes. The tone of Baekhyun's gaze falls somewhere on the spectrum of "Give away our position, and you're so dead" and "Just give it to him lightly - something he'll believe." Chanyeol gulps down the lump in his throat, the clouds of doubt in his eyes clearing from the mischievous shine that starts twinkling brightly. "You can't go because I said so," Chanyeol playfully retorts. Chanyeol wasn't looking, but he's pretty sure Baekhyun rolled his eyes at him just then.

Sehun's eyebrows wrinkle at Chanyeol's dumb answer and he snorts. "Okay, Chanyeol, you win. I won't go. Because you said so." He smothers his words with a thick coat of sarcasm, and Chanyeol beams a huge, toothy grin which Sehun just can't handle. If it were up to Sehun, he'd smother Chanyeol too and all his sunny smiles. "You idiot!" Sehun insults. "I'm going, I don't care what you say."

"No, Sehunnie, you're not going," Chanyeol replies in all seriousness. "It's dangerous out there. Besides, that Tao guy is still on the loose." Chanyeol figures that would be an acceptable response, but he looks over at Baekhyun for confirmation. He shrugs and purses his lips, nodding his head in approval.

"I don't care," Sehun states bluntly. "I'm going anyway."

"Are you always this reckless?" Baekhyun butts in, and he can tell that he is ticking Sehun off like a time bomb. Although Baekhyun finds some amusement in it; like the sick and twisted man he is, he enjoys toying with the feelings of others, manipulating them to his fancy. Even though Baekhyun likes to pull at loose ends, by no means will he fray them. It's more fun if they do that themselves.

Sehun's mouth remains clamped shut, and he wants nothing more than for Baekhyun to shut up. Even though Baekhyun was supposedly the victim, Sehun just can't help but feel all of this is Baekhyun's fault. "I need to find Luhan," Sehun gravely states for the last time because without warrant, he breaks Chanyeol's single finger hold and is out the door faster than light. Chanyeol stands alone dumbfoundedly, watching as Sehun disappears through the door.

"Should we go after him?" Chanyeol asks, turning toward Baekhyun for advice.

"Nah, just let him go," Baekhyun instructs. "He'll come back"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sehun scours the streets for the familiar head of red hair, reasoning that Luhan had to be around here somewhere and that he couldn't have gotten far. He contemplates yelling out his name, though Sehun feels hesitant to freely announce his location to anyone who might be listening. Not that there is anyone around to listen, but Chanyeol did have a point about Tao, so Sehun continues searching silently. His search didn't extend too far before a sudden shove sent him flying, his body falling to the ground, clinging to the concrete like a magnet. Another body appears next on top of him, straddling his stomach and pinning his arms to the ground.

"Identify yourself!" the strange voice commands, and Sehun opens his eyes to meet those of the boy on top of him, eyes shining with hostility and skin burning tan. "Kyungsoo!" the stranger calls, picking his head up for a few seconds to yell into the still air. A few seconds later, a much smaller man in a police uniform appears, hand hovering over his handcuffs. "I found him!" the stranger proclaims.

"Found... me? How do you know who I am?" Sehun questions, the confusion in his voice apparent.

"Get him up," the one called Kyungsoo orders, and the boy on top of him climbs off, violently pulling Sehun to his knees for Kyungsoo, who comes behind Sehun and puts him in a headlock. "You think you could get off easy huh? We know who you are, Tao."

"Tao??" Sehun chokes out through Kyungsoo's constrictive hold. "I'm not...? no..!"

"Shut up!" Kyungsoo commands and tightens the hold. Sehun inhales deeply for just a sliver of air, the passageway kinked by Kyungsoo. "Jongin, get Luhan!"

"Lu...han?" Sehun whispers, trying his best to be heard. "W-wait.. I know him! I'm not this Tao guy!"

"Please," Kyungsoo spits. "We got the description. Tall, blonde, mean looking... You're the only person in this whole town who fits the description."

"What kind of cops are you?" Sehun manages to scowl, pulling at Kyungsoo's arm to loosen the grip a bit. "Just tackling the first guy you see who 'fits the description'?" 

"Sehun?" a familiar voice says softly. The voice is soft and gentle, but Sehun doesn't doubt the owner for one minute. "Is that... you?" Luhan asks in disbelief. He's so shocked to see Sehun that he doesn't realize Kyungsoo has him in a choke hold, nor does he notice Sehun's discomfort.

"Yep," Sehun squawks, still hard to speak with Kyungsoo's arm wrapped around his neck.

"Sehun?" Jongin repeats. "THIS is Sehun?"

"Yes!" Luhan verifies, running to his boyfriend. Upon seeing Luhan's reaction, Kyungsoo finally releases his hold, and Sehun stumbles forward. He almost falls face first at Luhan's feet but Luhan's arms catch him, Sehun straightening out and looking at Luhan eye to eye. Sehun can tell Luhan wants to throw his arms around him, but he sees him restraining, and so Sehun restrains too.

"Hey," Sehun greets. He breaks eye contact and looks to the side, stuffing his hands in his pockets. His profile is cool and handsome, trying his best to maintain his aloof image. Even though he wants to hug Luhan too, he has to keep his cool for at least awhile longer - long enough to hear Luhan's side of the story.

"Hey..." Luhan replies. He's nervous and he doesn't quite know what to say. Sweat forms on his palms and he tries to be as conspicuous as possible, pressing them against his thighs in attempts to dry them on his jeans. He's not entirely sure what it is that Baekhyun's told him, but he didn't feel it was his place to ask. Though he has a sneaking suspicion that whatever Baekhyun's said isn't true. But Sehun thinks it is, or at least that it could be, so Luhan must choose his words carefully, unless he wants to ignite another bomb.

"Um," Jongin tugs at Kyungsoo's sleeve, using his head to nod them off the opposite direction. "We'll just give you two a moment." The two slink off to the side to afford them some privacy, and Luhan watches them as they retreat, noticing the way Jongin allows his guard down around Kyungsoo. Perhaps a trust can form between them, and Luhan attributes the potential to the way Kyungsoo offered to help Jongin and his family earlier. Luhan can't quite understand the dynamic forming between them, but he can't help but feel there's some sort of chemistry between them, in whatever sense of the word. As he watches them walk off into the distance, he can't help but remember the early days of his relationship with Sehun, when they used to walk along the Han River at sunset. The way Kyungsoo presses his hand against Jongin's back reminds him of how he once did that with Sehun, too timid to go all the way and put his arm around Sehun's shoulders. His thoughts of past return him to Sehun, who awkwardly stands before him now. Kyungsoo and Jongin go into a convenience store across the street, probably to see if anything's left and as a means of killing time.

"So," Luhan clears his throat and attempts to reinitiate eye contact with Sehun, who gives in momentarily, only to revert to darting his eyes back and forth. Sehun can't allow Luhan to read him, he just can't. He also can't justify why he feels that way, but right now, he just knows that he can't.

"Just tell me the truth," Sehun requests in a low voice. He tries to keep it steady, but in all honesty he feels his whole body shake with the breath it takes to speak. It's not like he ever expected Luhan to lie to him, but he has a heavy feeling in his heart egging at him, making him believe that maybe the answer isn't something he wants to hear.

Luhan throws aside his concern and decides to ask anyway. "What did Baekhyun tell you?"

"No," Sehun refuses. "You tell me your story first. Baekhyun's story isn't important. I'll pretend I didn't hear it. Just tell me."

Luhan's lips press together tightly, but he decides protesting further would be a bad move on his part, so he surrenders himself to Sehun, opening up like a book. He has nothing to hide. Luhan inhales deeply through his nostrils, imagining the oxygen entering his lungs and swirling around, filling them up and inflating his chest. In his image, the air is clean and clear, though after a few seconds, Luhan's fear stains its clarity with smoke, ultimately suffocating him on the inside. Luhan emphasizes the words in his head: I have nothing to hide. But why does he feel so anxious? It feels like life or death, but as it regards Sehun, it more or less is. Even though Sehun may not know it, for Luhan to lose him would be a fatal blow. Never mind the air or the smoke or whatever - Luhan's lungs and entire being would be crushed.

With a heavy exhale, Luhan closes his eyes and recollects himself and his words. "Okay," he breathes, and Sehun stands idly, awaiting his answer. "I guess I should be up front first. Yes - I did harm Baekhyun," Luhan admits and he can see Sehun reeling on the inside from the slight twitch of his eye. It takes all of his will not to cringe or cry, but Sehun keeps face because he wants to hear everything Luhan has to say.

"Why?" escapes Sehun's lips, and he can't help it, but he's relieved it came out quietly and under his breath. He desperately wants to know, and he doesn't want to scare Luhan with a blunt accusation or anything.

"Well," Luhan says, chewing his lip. "After I grabbed Baekhyun and ran into the building, he was still really shaken from the confrontation with Tao," Luhan explains. He gauges Sehun's reactions which are close to none, save for the almost inaudible hums and the stiff nods. Luhan flicks his eyes to the side to avoid the uncomfortable vibe Sehun gives off. "I ran upstairs with Baekhyun and we hid behind a counter for safety. But.. Baekhyun was really really shaken like, literally shaking even.. And he was nervous and having a panic attack."

Sehun's eyes didn't really change, but his aura did, and for that, Luhan was grateful - or at least, he thought he should be. He's just guessing here, since Sehun's normal emotionless personality impairs his ability to express his inner thoughts and feelings. But Luhan realizes he hasn't explained much at this point so he decides to press forward, before he gets ahead of himself.

"Well anyway, I could hear the guys chasing us from upstairs and they were really tearing the first floor apart. I was so scared, Sehun. I needed to think of a plan fast, and Baekhyun was freaking out so much.. I knew they'd find us as soon as they came up because Baekhyun was screaming and yelling and just wouldn't calm down. I was really desperate and even though I didn't know for sure if it would work.. Well, I... remember Chanyeol talking about how Baekhyun faints at the sight of his own blood so I.. I broke a glass bottle and slashed his arm with it." With the truth finally out in the open, Luhan feels the tension slip away, the release almost leaving him light headed. Sehun's eyes widen, and Luhan doesn't know what to make of it. The uncertainty is killing him and his eyes began to well up with tears as he switches into defense mode, frantically spewing out words. "B-but, I was really careful I promise! I made sure not to hit any vital veins or anything like that! I wasn't trying to.. to.. to hurt him -!" Luhan's voice cracks and the tears stream down his face. His walls are broken, but they were never that sturdy to begin with. Sehun's cold stare alone was enough to tear them down and Luhan trembles in his shoes. "I'm sorry, Sehunnie.."

Hot tears glaze Luhan's vision and he shamefully looks down, feeling his body crumble as he folds, arms tightly crossed and pressed against his stomach. He begins sinking toward the ground, bending at the knees, hoping that maybe he would just sink forever and disappear because it would be infinitely better than rejection from Sehun. As he spirals into his own world, falling into a self-induced void, it's Sehun's arms that bring him back, cradling him tenderly. "It's okay, Lu," Sehun whispers into Luhan's ear. "I forgive you." Luhan's eyes spill even more from the relief he feels and he cries into Sehun's chest, soaking his shirt. Luhan's tremors have gained more prevalence, and he's all but sobbing at this point, trying his best to pull himself back together. But Sehun doesn't mind. He never does. But this time, he's too preoccupied with anger to care. The image of Baekhyun burns in his mind, and he hates knowing he was right. Sehun knows when Luhan's telling the truth and when he's lying, and Sehun has no doubt that Baekhyun is the liar here.

"Baekhyun told me you did it to try to kill him," Sehun hisses, clutching Luhan close to him. "I'm sorry for not believing you before," he apologizes and Luhan can only nod. He doesn't really care that Sehun reacted the way he did. Well, he does but he doesn't blame Sehun. Right now, he's just overwhelmed with relief that Sehun didn't abandon him.

After scoping out the situation, Jongin convinces Kyungsoo that it's safe for their return, and the two slowly approach the couple, seeking approval from Sehun. When they finally appear on Sehun's radar, the boy gently nudges Luhan to alert him of their presence, and the corners of Luhan's mouth tug upward, thankful for the warning. Sehun knows that Luhan isn't really fond of letting people see him cry, and Luhan takes the opportunity to dry his eyes and sniff a few more times before his nose becomes completely blocked. He inhales deeply one last time and exhales everything, leaving all the upsetting emotions behind. He doesn't need them anymore and he's ready to take on the next plan of action.

"Are you... alright?" Jongin asks timidly, to which Luhan replies with a resolute nod. Jongin smiles back, and it's genuine. Kyungsoo nods at Luhan too in an authoritative manner, similar to the way the other policemen acknowledge one another at the station. After looking at Luhan, Kyungsoo's eyes fall on Sehun, who's patting Luhan's shoulder. He notices Kyungsoo's large, saucer-like eyes staring at him and stares back momentarily, for no other reason than spacing out. Kyungsoo begins to feel awkward that they've been looking at each other for this long and almost feels as if space is being invaded, but whose and by whom he's not really sure. Nonetheless, he takes the opportunity to apologize.

"Sorry for uh, putting you in that headlock," Kyungsoo says, clearing his throat as if it would clear away his guilt. "I just, you know... Got excited or something."

"It's fine," Sehun pardons. Kyungsoo smiles weakly.

"So, Luhan?" Jongin asks to gain Luhan's attention, though he obtains everyone's as a result, all eyes switching to him. "What's your plan?"

"What plan?" Sehun inquires.

"Well," Luhan states. "I was planning on going to find you. But now that you're here..."

"Wait, don't tell me there's no more plan?" Kyungsoo interrupts. "We promised to help each other! You can't back out now! We DID find your Sehun here after all!" 

"Whoa whoa whoa, no of course we'll still help!" Luhan interjects hurriedly, in hopes that Kyungsoo wouldn't reach for his handcuffs again. He's escaped arrest by Kyungsoo one too many times already, he doesn't need to add in one more. "Besides.. I wanna see that bastard Baekhyun one more time," Luhan mutters under his breath. Though Kyungsoo didn't catch it, having just been wound up and wrung out by the possibility of Baekhyun and Chanyeol slipping through his fingers once again.

"It's okay Soo, just breathe," Jongin instructs, reaching for Kyungsoo's arm. Luhan notices the use of the nickname, and wonders when that happened. Could they have gotten on a nickname basis from a simple convenience store visit? Kyungsoo grumbles an apology as Jongin rubs small circles on his back. Sehun blinks a few times as he's still lost in confusion, looking to Luhan for some explanations. Luhan's mouth is wide open, his eyes squinting as he thinks about what the group's next move should be. He's also scared that any sudden movements will set off Kyungsoo and he's not willing to risk it right now.

"Wait, but... Sehun was with Baekhyun and Chanyeol right?" Jongin asks, pointing at Sehun with his free hand, the other hand pressed flat against Kyungsoo's back.

"They know Baekhyun and Chanyeol?" Sehun says in disbelief.

"Well... sort of," Jongin admits. "More or less, we know them. And we know what kind of scumbags they are." 

"I see," Sehun drones quietly, awaiting the next request of him that he knows is coming.

"Well, were you with them??" Jongin prods Sehun, who finally answers the question with a curt nod, and Jongin wastes no time accepting it. "So we can just have Sehun lead us there!" Jongin excitedly suggests, gravitating toward Sehun. His hand rises from Kyungsoo's back, ghosting over the cloth of his shirt to where Kyungsoo can just barely feel his touch, and he growls at its absence.

"Wow, why didn't I think of that?" Luhan questions, and Jongin just smiles wide, proud of his own idea.

"It's perfect," Jongin boasts, and Kyungsoo finally comes around, focusing now on their plan of action, rather than Jongin's gentle touch.

"They'll never see us coming," Kyungsoo adds. "Finally... they will be mine. I can't wait to take them down to turn them into the police station." Kyungsoo enters his own little world as he basks in the impending glory of bringing THE Baekhyun and Chanyeol into prison.

"So Sehunnie, can you do it??" Luhan asks to verify.

"Yes, I'll take you there," Sehun agrees. "Follow me."

 

//finally hunhan returns! also, does anyone actually read these? and like... is anyone actually... reading.... this story...? ahahah ^^;;