Thursday

Fading for Love

Thursday

 

Class had started at almost an hour ago, which meant it was almost finishing.

Zitao looked blankly at his notebook since the beginning of class. He was completely absent minded to the world.

The thoughts of last night kept hunting him.

What could he possibly do? Kris was expecting him to save him but what if he couldn't? What if he failed him? What if because of Tao, Kris had to stay a ghost forever? What if that happens and Kris isn’t capable of looking at Tao’s face again? What if Kris couldn’t forgive him for failing him?

At the end of the class Zitao had his paper still blank.

 

-⌛-

 

At the hallway Tao tried to make his way past the other students.

His mind was still bubbling with things. He needed to do something. He needed a plan.

If he managed to find Kris’ parents names maybe he would be able to track them down. And maybe… Maybe they would be willing to tell him how Kris died.

It was just an idea. He didn’t knew what else to do to prevent Kris from dying and the fact that Kris himself forgot how he died didn't help.

If somehow he could…

“Zitao!”

Or someone at the school could tell him. Certainly someone has to know something about the accident. Maybe the principal at least, or some students who weren’t afraid of the ghost or didn’t choke on their food and run away when asked about the subject. Maybe if he…

“Zitao!!”

Sally sudden scream near his ears almost made him jump out of his own skin.

“Wha-?” He looks shocked for a moment, placing a hand over his fast beating heart.

“Oh, hi Sally.” He smiles weakly.

“Wow, what’s with that look?” Sally asked surprised. “You look like you’re going to cry at any moment. Are you ok?”

Tao nods.

“I- I’m fine.”

“Liar! You look so sad… You’re gonna make me cry.”

Sally face drops drastically as her eyes water. She was so worried about her best friend. It had been two days since he started to act weird and it seemed to be getting worse each day. And to make it all even worse, he didn’t tell her what was wrong with him. She couldn’t help but be extremely worried.

Seeing his friend on that way, Zitao mentally slapped himself. How could he be doing that to the girl who was always there for him? It was out of question to tell her about Kris but he could pretend he was fine. He owe her that at least.

Putting on his normal face and a pleasant smile, Zitao gives a hug to Sally while patting her back.

“I’m sorry Sally. I was just thinking about how much homework I had to do tonight.” He quickly makes an excuse about his odd behavior. “But I know I’m just being a big baby about it.”

“… Really?” She whispers against his chest.

“Jeez... and you really had me worried!” Sally happy voice and smile presented Tao as she looked up to him. “Do you ever think of anything beside homework?”

Zitao chuckles as he shakes his head.

She was so easy to please.

“No. Nope. Nothing.” He shakes his head.

 “Oh dear God, You’re such a nerd!” Sally laughs and smacks Tao arm. “It’s about to ring. See you later!”

“See ya!” Zitao smiles and waves her goodbye.

His face quickly falling back into his sulk once she was out of sight.

 

-⌛-

 

He couldn’t fight back his unusual sense of unease as he ran the entire school looking for Kris and didn’t find him on any of the habitual places.

A weird feeling was starting to build on his guts. What if something happened to him? What could possibly happen to a ghost tho? Was he lost forever? Or did Tao just miss him on some dark corner?

 

-⌛-

 

“Kris? Kris are you out here?”

He ran the same hallway for what seemed to be the hundredth time that night.

No sign of Kris.

 

-⌛-

 

He ran up to the roof top.

No Kris anywhere.

‘This doesn’t make any sense.’

 

-⌛-

 

“Psst! Kris?”

Tao was on the locker room, where he found Kris on the second night.

And nothing.

 

-⌛-

 

Staring at the empty gym, Tao’s mind started to race.

He was trying really hard not to panic right there.

‘Maybe he is outside?’

 

-⌛-

 

He quickly went to the pool.

And still all he saw was nothing.

‘Where could he be?’                             

He sighs desperate.

When turning around to walk back to school and once again search for Kris, he spots a white translucent figure standing over at the other side of the soccer pitch.

Finding it strange he quickly runs over there.

 

-⌛-

 

Kris stood there, sad pale face, staring at the entire place. He was so lost on his thoughts that he didn’t notice Tao behind him.

“…Kris?” He whispers not sure about what to do.

Tao follows his line of gaze and sees that Kris is actually staring at the shed.

Something clicks on Tao’s mind.

This was the place that his homeroom teacher mentioned on her safety lecture. It was something about it being damaged on an earthquake a few years ago and how no one was allowed to go there anymore.

“… This is it.”

Kris spoke up suddenly, making Zitao’s head snap quickly in his direction. He gave him a confused expression.

“What?”

“This is where I die.” Kris voice was low and sad, barely a whisper.

Zitao’s eyes widen in surprise, shock and horror.

“You remembered?”

But Kris only shakes his head still gazing at the shed.

“No. It’s more like… a feeling. Stronger than ever before.”

After he said that, it was like he closed himself on a shell where Tao couldn’t get to him.

Zitao took a good look at the ghost guy beside him.

He met the Kris ghost. He met the Kris live form. And yet there he was, walking around in a daze, letting himself get buried under all his fears while Kris was the only one who had real reasons to be scared, his future depended on this and yet, he was always the caring supporting cheerful one of the two.

Kris needed him to be strong. Kris needed him to give his best. Kris deserved that Tao changed the past, present and future. Kris deserved to be alive.

“Kris.”

“Hm?”

“Let’s do it!”

Kris ghostly face quickly looks on his direction, his eyes large in surprise and his mouth open. In other circumstances Tao would have laughed.

“Wh-What?”

“Let’s mess up history. I’m ready.”

He smiled confident. Kris looked at him in shock. Tao nods smiling even more. Kris can’t help but smile back and nods.

“Thank you Zitao.” He gazes softly at the younger’s face before closing his eyes. “Okay here we go.”

“A-Ah! Wait!!”

Tao nearly screams as he remembers something.

“What is it? I thought you said you were ready?” Kris blinks confused at him with a cute frowning face.

Tao chuckles softly as he nods.

“I did. I just… forgot to say something.” Taking a deep breath he looks at the white haired version of Kris and talks. “Please don’t forget me, okay?”

Kris surprised face said it all.

“Wh-What?” He mutters before smiling widely. “As if I could! Even if the other Kris doesn’t know all you’ve done for him… There must be a part of him that will somehow sense it, deep down…” He trails off, blushing.

“Zitao… You’re the most amazing person I’ve ever met. Thank you for everything.”

This time it was Tao’s eyes that widened in surprised and his face that turned pink.

“You’re-“

He was cut off by a white light.

 

-

 

“-welcome.” He whispers the last part.

Looking around, he notices that even if it was just one year ago the shed looked different. It was almost intact, only the glasses were broken, while on his time, half of the roof had fallen and there was no glass or door.

“Is there a reason why you’re dragging me out here?”

A faint voice was audible at the distance.

Zitao would recognize that voice anywhere.

Kris was coming close and looked like he wasn’t alone.

“Zitao! Come here quickly!” Ghostly Kris was hiding around the corner of the shed and waving to Zitao to come over there.

“Why are you hiding?” Zitao whispers as he gets there.

Kris face was hard and concentrated.

“Let’s just… Let’s just wait and listen for now ok?” He asks, his voice was still soft after all.

“Hm.” Tao nods in understanding as he places his eyes on the group of young boys that was approaching.

Zitao recognizes one of boys as Dan.

“Kris, you’ve been acting really weirdly lately.” Dan says.

“Seriously weird. Like crazy –weird.” Other guy nods.

“Or just plain crazy.” Dan offers as he crosses his arms. “That reminds me, have you seen your imaginary friend today? Or is he too busy having lunch with Santa Claus and Easter Bunny?” He asks in a mocking tone.

“…You guys are starting to really piss me off.” Kris said sounding really annoyed. “I’m outta here.”

He turns around to leave but one of the guys catches him by his shoulder and spins him around.

“Wait! We brought you here for a reason.” That guy says.

Kris shoves his hand away from his shoulder.

“We’re not trying to start a fight man. We just want our old buddy Kris back.” Dan tries to cold down the atmosphere.

“Yeah! You’re no fun anymore.” The guy says again.

“Always going off by yourself, talking about a boy we’ve never even seen…” Dan gives a pointed look at Kris.

“What gives?” Other guy continues.

Kris only glared at him with clenched fists before nodding.

“You’re right. Things have been… Really weird lately. But I’m still me! Let me prove it.”

Dan nods and smirks. “Well, that’s exactly why we’re here anyway!”

Kris blinks in confusion. “What?”

“We’ve got a dare for ya.” A chubby guy says. “Do it and everything will be cool again.”

Kris snorts and smirks. “Easy. What’s the dare?”

Dan holds up a chronometer.

“Ten minutes. In the shed.”

“Doing what?” Kris raises a brow not believing of how simple the task sounded.

“Whatever you want. But it has to be a full ten minutes. We will be counting them.” Dan shakes the chronometer a little as if proving a point.

“This is the weakest dare in the history of… ugh. Fine. Whatever.” Kris rolls his eyes. “Let’s do it.”

Everyone nods and someone opens the door. Zitao quickly get’s up from his spot and follows Kris inside without letting the elder notice that.

‘This is really bad.’

When entering the shed, Zitao finally saw how destroyed the structure really was from the earthquake.

“…You!” A shocked voice brought him back to the moment.

Kris looked shocked at him and who could blame him for that? Honestly.

“What are you doing in here?! Don’t you know it’s dangerous?”

“That’s a good question! Why don’t you try and ask yourself that?”

Kris stared at him for a long time, before grabbing his arms tightly and pulling him with him.

“Come on. Let’s just get out of here.”

Loud noises were heard as Kris tried to open the door several times.

“… ? Why isn’t it opening?” He stared at the door. “Hey! What’s going on?” He shouts to his friends.

“Ten minutes man! That’s the deal!” Dan shouts from the other side.

“You jerks blocked the door didn’t you?” Kris shouts angrily.

“Just making sure you didn’t chicken out!” Other voice said.

With that Kris clenched his teeth. Letting go of Tao’s arms he started to slam his shoulder against the door.

The entire shed started to shake. That wasn’t good, not at all.

“H-Hey! Maybe you should stop that.”

Kris stops and looks at Tao’s face. He nods.

“… Fine. Just… don’t look so scared ok?”

Zitao nods as he takes shaky deep breaths. He walks to a clear spot on the floor and sits down carefully to not damage anything more than it already was.

“Ok. Let’s… Let’s just sit still and wait for the ten minute to be over, okay?”

Looking away but nodding, Kris walks away from the door.

“Whatever you say.”

Zitao looks around apprehensively. All they had to do right now was to wait calmly antnort do anything to damage even more the structure or that could cause any kind of accidents and everything would be fine.

“What are you doing sitting all the way over there? Come here.” Kris grabs Tao arm again and starts to pull him closer.

This new proximity caused both of them to blush, but this time no one looked away.

“Tell me something.” Kris asks.

“Hum?” Zitao tilts his head slightly, getting curious.

“Tell me something about you.” Kris repeats himself. “It can be anything since I know pretty much nothing.”

Tao was really surprised by this request, but somehow it made him feel good to see that Kris wanted to know him.

“Well…” He pouts thoughtfully.

“Start with your name.” Kris offers.

“Ah! I never told you!” Tao face turns into a mix of shock and embarrassment. “It’s Zitao.”

“…Zitao…” Kris whispers as if savoring the way his name rolled out of his tongue. Suddenly a truthful breathtaking smile forms in Kris face. “Nice to finally meet you, Zitao.”

Tao chuckles and nods.

“You too, Kris!”

“Okay, now tell me something else.” Kris looked like a kid on Christmas. “Like, what do you wanna do with your life?”

“Wow that’s a big question.” Zitao exclaims. “I’m not really sure. I guess I’d like to be a doctor… or a teacher. Something like that.”

Kris nods at those words and smiles.

“Yeah, that makes sense.”

When seeing the look of confusion on Tao’s face, he chuckles.

“I just mean that you’re that kind of person. When we first met I hated the way you kept showing up unexpectedly and interfering with my life, but now I know… the reason you’re such an annoying busybody is because you can’t help yourself. You’ve just got so much kindness in you” He smiles softly at Tao.

Zitao pouts embarrassed and says the first think he can thing that crosses his mind.

“Right. And you’re such a rude, bullying jerk… Not because you’re a bad person… But because you feel trapped.”

Kris furrows his brows annoyed.

“What kind of compliment was that?!”

“The same kind you gave me!” Tao argues back.

Kris glares at him for a long moment before chuckling in amusement.

“You always do this to me. You’re always messing me up.”

Suddenly his face turns a little more serious as he looks directly at Tao’s eyes.

“…. Mess me up more.”

With that, Kris starts to lean closer to Tao. Both their faces start to turn bright red. Tao could feel Kris’ breath on his lips. Not moving an inch away, he suddenly understands that yes, Kris is going to kiss him. His mind starts to go wild.

When their lips are only millimeters apart a loud horrible sound is heard from the door.

Both of them jump apart immediately.

 “Hey guys, was it you just now? You gonna open up now?”

Kris gets up and starts to head towards the door calling out for his friends.

“… I remember…”

Tao’s head snaps to the ghost Kris. His face was covered with sadness and understanding.

“You remember what?”

“…Everything…” Ghost Kris sighs “… I remember how I die. We’ve made a mistake. I’ve made a mistake.”

Zitao frowns at those words. What could they, he, possibly had done to cause his death?

“What are you-?”

His words were cut off by a loud clang.

“Uh? What was that?”

The living Kris turns around at the sound, and when Tao notices both of Kris' are looking at him in sheer terror. He couldn’t get more confuse than what he already was.

“Zitao… Don’t move.  Don’t do anything.” Kris ghost voice was sad but serious. “I mean it! Just let it happen!” At this point he was already screaming.

“I… I…”

Once again he was cut off by an even louder sound.

Noticing it was coming from above him, Zitao looks up and his eyes wide in terror as he finally understands what was happening.

There was a falling beam coming down towards him. In that moment time seemed to stop.

He saw Kris - the living Kris – running towards him, desperation filled his eyes.

He could hear the echo of the ghost Kris on his head telling him it was all ok, to do anything, let things happen. Warning him to stay still.

And suddenly everything was so clear to him.

Kris died… Saving his life.

If he stayed still at that moment everything would happen the way it was supposed to andKris would die. But if he tried to stop Kris…

He would be the one dying.

‘I can’t… I can’t let this happen!”

Tao’s mind screamed as he heard living Kris screaming.

“Zitao!!”

For a moment Kris face was right in front of his own, he saw the boy hand reaching out towards him.

But before anything could happen, Tao throws his arms out and pushes Kris away with all the strength that he had. He pushes him back, pushes him away from any harm.

He heard Kris - ghost Kris - crying out a “NO!” and felt a sudden strong push on his back which made him fly forward.

The deafening sound of crashing metal filled the room.

 

-⌛-

 

“Kris! Kris!”

Zitao was kneeling beside Kris body.

He leaned down and placed his head closer to his nose and mouth.

Kris was breathing.

He was just unconscious.

At that sign Tao lets out a big sigh of relieve. Suddenly his pain was taken away and that was left was a huge feeling of happiness and relieve.

He had made it! He saved Kris!

“Huh. Must‘ve hit his head falling backwards.”

Kris ghostly spirit was crouched down beside his body.

“Kris! Is… is he going to be okay?!” The look of desperation on Tao face made ghost Kris smile and nod.

“Hey don’t worry about him. A bump on the head is nothing to worry about if you get to live another day!”

“Then… Wha-What about you? Did… Did you…” Zitao gulps, trying to speak. “It felt like you pushed me!”

“I know right? How crazy was that?” he chuckles excited. “I just… I just felt like… I wanted to protect you so bad… That’s the second time I’ve felt that way I guess.”

“Kris…” Tao whispers sadly, his eyes filling with tears.

“Hey now. No crying okay? This is a happy moment.” Kris ghost form smiles adoringly at Tao. “You did it Zitao. You saved me.”

“Kris…” Tao rubs his eyes trying to hold back his tears.

When he looks up to Kris his eyes widen in surprise.

“Kris! You’re… You’re fading!”

“Well, yeah! I can’t be a ghost anymore, can I? Not if I’m alive.” His smile was so happy and calm while saying those words. His eyes were closed.

“Kris…” Zitao whispers. His eyes were starting to fill with tears again.

“I love the way you say my name…” Kris says softly, his face peaceful. He was now starting to be translucent. It was so difficult to see him, his voice was so soft, like the wind sound.

“Oh, Zitao! Before I go, I wanted to tell you one last thing. … I was wrong.”

“Wrong..?” Tao chokes out. His eyes were filled with tears and his throat was so tight, he was doing his best not to cry in front of the taller boy.

Kris nods. “Before I said that dying changed me. But now I remember, death didn’t change me…” His voice was so soft, barely a whisper. “You did.”

After that, nothing.

Not a sound. Not sign of Ghost Kris around. Nothing at all.

“Kris?...” Zitao looks helplessly at the spot where the taller white haired boy was standing before. It was only an empty space now. “KRIS!!!”

 

-⌛-

 

The moment Kris’ ghost disappeared, his magic broke.

Suddenly Zitao was back in his own time. Alone.

He was in such daze. He couldn’t even remember how he got home that night.

But the next day? That he remembers.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Be Continued.

 

eheh I'm bad ~

 

I don't think this can count as a double update since the last one was hours ago. Maybe. Idk.

Anyway. There's only one chapter left now. Let's wait and see what will happen with them now.

I hope all my silent readers are liking the chapters, and to YeonLu, thank you for keep on comment, that really kept me on writing this story.

So, see you next chapt!