{1/3}

Dethroning a King

Warning: This isn't beta'd 

 

Kim Joonmyeon doesn’t understand what it is to be second best. He is simply good at everything from sports to singing, from topping classes to coming on top of every competition he enters. Kim Joonmyeon is what you call a king. He doesn’t understand the definition of the word defeat, he’s perfect and handsome and everyone around him knows it.

He’s approached by many in hopes of being their boyfriend or girlfriend but he rejects them all, simply because they aren’t on his level. Joonmyeon is a king and he needs someone to be on his level or at least close to it, since that wouldn’t happen anytime soon, he remains single and on top of the school’s food chain.

Until there was talk of a new boy at school and he wouldn’t have known if it wasn’t for his nosy friend Kim Jongdae who is basically the school biggest gossiper. He runs the school newspaper and he’s 2nd place in school’s rank.

“Did you hear about the new student? I heard he was really smart,” Jongdae tells him on their way to their classroom “he was on top of his old school; he’s an all rounder supposedly. He can play guitar, dance, sing, compose, multilingual. I think you have some competition, my dear Joonmyeon” Jongdae finishes with a cheeky smile that infuriates Joonmyeon.

“And just who did you hear this from?” Joonmyeon replies. Jongdae is always the first person to know news around here. Maybe because of his connections, the social butterfly that Jongdae is often had him knowing a lot of people and their business. Joonmyeon however shouldn’t be bothered about some new kid showing him up because his old school isn’t equal to this school and Joonmyeon runs things around here.

“I heard it from Zitao who heard it from Minseok who heard it from Jongin who heard it from Luhan who-”

“Jongdae! The point please, I don’t have time for your long list of sources.” Joonmyeon turns to him and says irritated

Jongdae ignores him, of course being used to how short tempered and impatient Kim Joonmyeon was he continues anyway “Luhan who dances with him. He’s friends with him, from since childhood apparently”

“So when is this boy arriving?” Joonmyeon asks as he turns to walk into their homeroom. He doesn’t even know this “Luhan” person or anyone on that list either. Irrelevants that’s what Joonmyeon thinks they are.

“Today, heck he could probably be in the office being assigned to his classroom right now” Jongdae takes his seat in the front row ahead of both Joonmyeon and Do Kyungsoo who is also another one of Joonmyeon’s friend, he’s in second place in the school ranking. Kyungsoo is the sarcastic person with hidden trolling talent, doe eyed and pale skin, heart shaped lips. He is handsome but painstakingly blunt and shy. He loves having a smaller group of people as friends; he’s less social than Jongdae but definitely more social than Joonmyeon; who doesn’t have any friends outside of them.

 

They believe it’s mostly because of his arrogance and intimidating aura that no one dares to approach him and those who do ends up regretting it deeply. Kyungsoo has often told him about his behavior.

 

Not that Joonmyeon cares because it goes where everything else Kyungsoo says; in a box in the back of his brain.

 

"I'd be much happier if I never have to see this new boy anywhere near me.” Joonmyeon says.

 

"What's wrong, hyung?" Kyungsoo asks with wide eyed curiosity, it’s unusual for Joonmyeon to be so pissed off in the morning.

 

"Oh, don't mind him Kyungie. He's just mad because some new boy is about to show him up." Jongdae informs with a huge smile on his face. He knows he's pushing his buttons with Joonmyeon but he does it anyway.

 

"Can you not talk about him? Where did you come to the conclusion that he's even going to show me up? He hasn't even showed up in the school yet for Pete's sake and you're already ready to dismiss me from my position." Joonmyeon says all in one breathe, face red, hands curled tightly around his desk in anger.

 

Just a Jongdae was about to reply the teacher walked in the room. "Settle down class, today I'd like to welcome a new student to our class." Jongdae sends Joonmyeon a triumphant look and all he wants to do is wrap his fingers around his neck and throw him off the school's roof.

 

"Is it the new guy?"

 

"I wonder if it's the guy everyone keeps talking about"

 

"Do you think he's hot?"

 

"I heard he's perfect... even more perfect than Joonmyeon"

 

Joonmyeon tries to remain calm.He’s already stealing my spotlight. This guy will not get to me. Joonmyeon already hates him and he hasn’t even met him yet.

 

"Come in, young man." The teacher calls the mysterious boy into the classroom. The whole class gasps and looks Chinese young man in awe.

 

He beams a smile that shows a dip in both his left and right cheek. Everyone swoons including Joonmyeon but he doesn't show it instead he scoffs and looks away. "Hello, my name is Zhang Yixing" he introduces himself  and does a bow "please take care of me" he does another bow.

 

Joonmyeon wonders if he's an idiot.

 

The class claps and welcomes him, shooting him questions and it’s all a little too much for Yixing to take in considering he's Chinese and speaks mandarin, it’s too much Korean thrown at him for him to get a chance to answer.

 

The teacher senses his discomfort and helps him out "Alright class, ask him more questions during break, let's find Mr. Zhang a place to sit and call roll, hmm?" The teacher says and scans the class; thinking of where exactly he should place the male.

 

"Okay Yixing you can sit next to Jongdae. Jongdae raise your hand please." Jongdae raises his hand excitedly and turns around slowly to send Joonmyeon another cheeky grin that means something close to “What a coincidence this is.”

 

Yixing walks over and sits next to Jongdae and introduces himself one more time and Jongdae being the friendly, annoying person he is, introduces Yixing to Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo.

 

"Yixing meet Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo."

 

"Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo meet Yixing"

 

Joonmyeon doesn't even bother to acknowledge Yixing's presence and continues to get his book and stationery ready for his geography class.

 

"Nice to meet you," Kyungsoo says as he puts his hand out for Yixing to shake who returns with the same enthusiasm and he sends a look to Joonmyeon who is still ignoring him.

 

"Don't mind him; he's just very grumpy this morning. He'll get better after the first couple periods." Jongdae informs him. Joonmyeon sends him a pointed look.

 

Unfortunately Joonmyeon's mood doesn't lighten up at all after second period or fourth or sixth. Not even during recess or lunch. Mostly because Yixing's presence and name is thrown around everywhere it annoys him to no end. Joonmyeon says he's not going to let this new guy bother him but he does just that.

 

The rumors about Yixing wasn't didn’t have any lies to be honest, the guy was indeed smart. Joonmyeon found that during fourth period math class when Joonmyeon got a simple matrix question wrong and Yixing got a correct he was more than infuriated. He wouldn't be angry if it wasn't for the fact that the Chinese man hinted that Joonmyeon isn't as smart as people made him seem. He sends an innocent smirk in his direction.

 

Joonmyeon may or may not have broken a pencil.

 

There's only two more periods to go till school is over and he really thinks he can make it without strangling Jongdae or Yixing if he doesn't have any classes with them. The chances of that are really slim seeing that Jongdae has all the same classes with him but he's hoping Yixing doesn't.

 

Joonmyeon doesn’t know if he can take another year of this.

 

Fortunately for him, he doesn’t see Yixing for the last two periods but he hears about him through Kyungsoo who has a different schedule from Jongdae and him but he shares some classes with Yixing, like; Choir and Music Composition. He doesn’t stop talking about how much of a good singer Yixing is or how much of a good dancer he is (which Kyungsoo didn’t actually witness himself, he hears about it from Jongin) or how Yixing composes music or how the girls flock by him or how he got asked out in less than an hour of being in school or how Yixing cooks. He swears if he has to hear another thing about Zhang Yixing he’ll flip every table in this school and then set it on fire.

 

So both his friends pleasantly changed the conversation from Yixing to plans for the rest of the week. The free period moves faster than everyone expects and Joonmyeon is more than happy to leave this building before he sees Yixing or hear about him in the whispers of what use to be his fan girls.

 

He makes his way over to the shoe rack by the doors and switches his indoor shoes to his outdoor ones and waves a simple goodbye to his friends as he hops into the backseat of his chauffeur's car.

 

Today was a bad day for Joonmyeon and he hopes tomorrow won’t be the same. When he reaches his studio flat that’s located in the heart of Gangnam, he bids his chauffeur goodbye and heads up to his small apartment. It’s big enough for him and he’s completely comfortable with that, there’s no one he’ll be sharing his apartment with anytime soon.

 

He unlocks the door to his apartment and toes off his shoes and neatly places it in the corner before walking to the kitchen. The apartment is really small; you can see the kitchen, the living room and his bedroom from the entrance. The kitchen had white cupboards, black granite countertops with a built-in two burner stove with a two-door fridge that is next to the sink disguised as more white cupboards.

 

Continuing from the fridge, there was a little narrow hallway that the All-in-one, stackable washer-dryer was situated, the bathroom and an emergency exit.  On the left side of the kitchen; the bedroom was located with a small regular sized bed, two door cupboards where he kept his clothes and a small cosmetic station which had all of Joonmyeon’s beauty products for keeping his skin nice and clear. The other side of the bed had a small, white, circular table with white wooden chairs with leather seating. Joonmyeon would usually eat at that table or do his homework when the bed was putting an extra strain on his back

 

Across from his bed had the 40 inch television on the wall and below had yet another small, wooden, white stand with drawers that he kept some of his clothes in and DVDs or CDs. His DVD and CD player was placed neatly on top of the stand.

 

Joonmyeon drinks a glass of water before walking over to his bed where he flops on it. “What a ty day”

 

He looks at the his white, bunny plush toy with a blue little cotton jacket and hat to match. “Kiko, I had such a rough day at school today.” he tells the stuffed animal in a soft whisper, beady eyes stare back at him he takes it as a sign to continue talking. “ This new kid - Zhang Yixing showed up out of nowhere to ruin my life.”

 

This time he embraces the plush toy in a hug and sighs. “If you met him, you’d hate him as much as me, he has stupid dimples and he’s smart (not smarter than me though). I really don’t like him. What should I do?” He seeks the answer in beady smile and lopsided grin of his plush toy. Joonmyeon must be more tired than he thinks

 

He’s too tired to think anymore of his hatred for the Chinese transfer student and drifts off into sleep when he wakes again its 3am where he makes a small snack to eat then he stays up doing his homework before drifting right back to sleep. The next time he wakes up its time for him to get ready for school.

 

♛♚♛♚♛♚

 

Its fourth period; gym class and he gets so much pleasure from this class because he sees how much  higher he is on from the rest of his classmates just by excelling so much in Tennis, Track and field, Soccer, Basketball, Dodge ball, Gymnastics, Baseball and Golf (which is his personal favorite) . There is no sport he doesn’t excel in (there’s nothing he’s not good at).

 

Jongdae and Kyungsoo sit on the sidelines while watching Joonmyeon glide across the Tennis court with much grace and fluidity. The beads of sweat glisten across his forehead as he hits the ball back and forth continuously. “Is that all you boys got?” he taunts as he wins yet another match.  He walks over to his friends who hands over a water battle and a rag. He gulps it down then he wipes the sweat with the rag given to him.

 

“My, my Kim Joonmyeon, I didn’t take you for the type to take advantage of students who are less athletic than you. Why don’t you try playing against someone on your level?” Yixing steps onto the Tennis court, just coming back from the infirmary. He witnessed Joonmyeon’s tennis skills and he thought he could do much better as well as give that arrogant Joonmyeon a taste of his medicine.

 

Joonmyeon sends an irritated glare at the newcomer. Joonmyeon had nothing to do with the other male for the past four periods; unexpectedly he shows up and ruins all the tranquility around him. His grip on the tennis racquet tightens a bit just by the sound of Zhang Yixing’s voice. “Who exactly is that suppose to be?” he asks “I’ve never seen that person in this school.”

 

“You’re looking right at him,” Yixing picks up a nearby tennis racquet “why don’t we have a match?” he asks getting into position. He sends a confident smirk in Suho’s way “Are you up for it?” he taunts

 

“Oh, I’m up for it!” Joonmyeon replies. He makes his way back onto the court on position he throws the ball and sends the first serve across to Yixing’s side.

 

The dancer smoothly glides across the court returning the ball to Joonmyeon’s side, which sends the ball back with an abbreviated backswing. The onlookers are watching the back and forth of this game with sheer amazement as the two continue to battle it out on the tennis court.

 

Zhang Yixing hasn’t even broken a sweat yet and that annoys Joonmyeon to a point of no return. They both only needed to make it to four for someone to win and they both were tied with three points.

 

Suho sends a flat serve over to Yixing’s side; the serve is sent with the right amount of power and speed that there was no possible way Yixing could return the ball. He smiles at his victory; he wipes the small sheen of sweat that graces his forehead. However victory is was short lived when Yixing sends the ball right back with the same speed that Joonmyeon is unable to return the ball giving Yixing the match point and victory of this game.

 

Joonmyeon’s left mouth agape. Just what is Zhang Yixing? With the power and speed that he sent the ball with there was no way for him to return the ball. He lost. King Joonmyeon - unflawed prince of Kyungbok High School lost to the new guy? “Whatever Zhang Yixing, you won this battle but you won’t win this war” he points a finger at Yixing and stomps off the court and enter the school building with Jongdae and Kyungsoo trailing after him.

 

There’s a small smirk graced on Yixing lips when he watches the other male storm off. He’s closer every second to dethroning the arrogant man. Yixing didn’t hate him; he just loved getting under his skin. He heard about the male everywhere since he entered the school. All he ever wanted to do since he heard about the latter’s “King” status was rip it apart; strip it away from him completely. Evil? Yes. Fun? Yes. Did he have a grudge against people like this? No but he found pleasure in doing this.

 

To Yixing, the Korean male was interesting, definitely a cold person to at least him and everyone that wasn’t Jongdae and Kyungsoo. He wanted nothing more than to warm him up a little even if that means riling him up, showing him up at any given opportunity, anything to get a reaction out of the man.

 

His smile grows even more when he realizes his plan is working perfectly.

 

Yixing: 1

Joonmyeon: 0

♛♚♛♚♛♚ 
I wasn't planning on updating this in parts but it works in my favour at the moment. Sorry for the late update though this was suppose to be since Sunday. 
I don't know when I'll have the next chapter up since my birthday is coming up soon, I'll be busy but the second chapter should be up by the end of this week or the beginning of next.
This is what Joonmyeon's apartment looks like: http://www.travelmob.com/vacation-rentals/south-korea/seoul/tm-8oEejPVzf45 because I'm not very good at descriptions. 
Also to Sulay shippers who wants to read more fics, I don't know if you came across these already but I did and they're perfect so I'll share them with you: 

This is all, I hope you enjoy the update.