Petal

Petal

Fresh snow crunched under Wonsik's feet as he walked along the sidewalk, hands tucked into his front pockets.

He should have finished his horticulture project on time, but he didn't, so now he had to come into school on a Sunday to finish it. 

Opening the doors to the school, he took off his coat and gloves, walking towards his classroom. 

He didn't even want to take the class, but needing a science credit, he was left with little choice. 

"Hello?" He called out, opening the door. 

The teacher wasn't even there. 

Wonsik scoffed and put his stuff down, opening the door that led to the greenhouse. 

Plants were stupid. They made him sneeze and constantly needed to be kept and sustained. He didn't know how people could take the class out of genuine interest. 

The smell of soil hit him as he opened the doors to the warm indoor garden, bright light filtered into the building, warming the vast amount of flowers and leaves.

Just as he was about to let the door slam behind him, he held it, noticing a boy crouched over with his knees tucked into his chest, watering a small flowerpot.

Wonsik was actually stunned by this boy. 

He was just...beautiful. 

Wonsik had never called a man beautiful before, but it seemed to be the only word to describe this person. 

Pale skin, long slender fingers, abnormally pink lips, pitch black hair, and long eyelashes. 

The boy seemed to be smiling while attending to the flower. 

Wonsik tried to quietly close the door as to not disturb the other, but he noticed anyway, snapping his head up. 

The boy's first reaction was surprise, but his face then settled into a completely stoic one, devoid of emotion. 

Wonsik coughed, "Oh um, sorry to bother you, I just have to finish my project." 

The boy stared at him for a few seconds longer before going back to his watering.

Wonsik stood there dumbly for a while before walking over to the row of plants on the other side of the pale boy. 

"Maybe he just doesn't talk much?" Wonsik thought to himself. 

He found his plant, just some simple leaves with purple veins. Cladadium or something like that. He didn't care enough to remember.

Kneeling down to examine it, he started to answer questions he had on a questionnaire. 

Stupid questions really, but he answered them because the faster he did, the sooner he could leave

He looked up from his paper and through the leaves and pots, he could see the boy right across from him, his face maybe two feet away from him. 

He examined the boy more closely. 

Slanted, almost cat like eyes, round cheeks, cupid bow lips, what was up with this guy? Why hadn't he seen him around? 

Just then, the boy looked up, meeting his eyes. 

Embarrassed, Wonsik quickly lowered his head back to his paper. 

Finishing his project, he stood up and headed towards the exit, looking back one more time to look at the boy before opening the door and leaving. 

 

Wonsik decided to participate in horticulture related activities. He tried to convince himself it was because he wanted to improve his grade, but he knew the real reason was to get closer to that boy.

And Wonsik found his chance the next day in class.

"So, winter break is next week and I need somebody to take care of the plants during that time. I already have one person and I just need one more, it isn't a very hard job, just come in maybe two times a week to water and check up on the plants. I'll also be giving out extra credit." The teacher drawled, not expecting much of a response.

Wonsik stood up raising his hand, praying to god that the other student was the boy. 

"I'll do it!" he called out.

The teacher looked surprised but agreed.

Wonsik sat down smiling to himself, it was worth dealing with the smelly plants.

 

Next Tuesday, he got to school and quickly strode to the classroom, noticing the door was already unlocked. 

He smiled and hurriedly opened the door. 

All last week he had tried to find the boy in the halls or at lunch, but nothing, so he had been looking forward to this chance.

Walking to the greenhouse, he composed himself before opening the door. 

He was already there, watering plants quietly. 

Standing up, he was actually quite tall, about the same height as Wonsik. He was thin, and had long legs. 

The boy looked up to see who had come in. He looked almost surprised to see him, his eyes widening a little in suprise.

Wonsik cleared his throat, "Hello. My name is Wonsik, we kind of met the other day." He smiled, walking over to the boy and extending his hand. 

The boy put down the watering can on the table, wiping his hands on his jeans before taking the hand in front of him. 

"Taekwoon." Came a small, light voice. 

Wonsik could feel himself blush slightly at his voice. It was so sweet and airy. 

He shook his hand, "Nice to meet you." He managed. 

Taekwoon just nodded and continued watering. 

Wonsik grabbed a watering bucket and filled it up, joining the other in watering. 

After a few minutes of silence, he decided to speak up. 

"So, you like Horticulture?" He asked, looking up to look at Taekwoon. Wonsik thought the name suited him. 

Taekwoon just nodded slightly. 

"Why?" 

Wonsik was genuinely interested. So someone could actually enjoy something like this?

"Plants don't talk and aren't annoying." Came the quiet yet slightly intimidating reply. 

"Am I annoying you?" 

Taekwoon looked up from under his eyelashes and shook his head lightly.

Deciding not to reply, Wonsik smiled to himself. 

Taekwoon noticed. 

 

The next few weeks Wonsik kept trying to draw out more conversation out of Taekwoon. 

It was hard at first, but slowly he opened up. 

Wonsik felt happy every time they met. 

He loved Taekwoon's small voice, his delicateness, his concentration while taking care of the plants. 

He loved how sometimes, Taekwoon would point out certain flowers and say their names, and Wonsik would do his best to remember.

But what he loved the most was when he made Taekwoon smile. 

It was a small, tiny smile, but it was still there. 

The last day was quiet. Wonsik felt sad that he wouldn't have this time anymore.

It was about time to leave, Wonsik slowly put his gardening tools away. 

He turned around and Taekwoon was there. 

Before he had any time to say anything, Taekwoon lightly pressed his petal like lips against his own. 

It only lasted about two seconds, but to Wonsik, it felt like an eternity. 

Taekwoon pulled away and shoved a piece of paper into his hands before quickly running out the door. 

Wonsik stood there without moving for a moment before looking down at the paper. 

A phone number. 

Wonsik smiled widely, trying not to giggle madly. 

Yes, if it was for Taekwoon, he could definitely deal with the plants. 

 

 

 

Okay so I know this is short and not very good and what country are they even supposed to be in and- 

But I just really like the idea of Taekwoon liking plants I feel like it suits him really well and i love my school's green house so idk. 

The image i had for this fic was not this at all it was really soft and poetic and mysterious but i feel like it didn't turn out that way and- 

Oh well though. Comment what you think anyways!!