Chapter 3

Midnight Pianist

Title:Midnight Pianist
Author:bleedinglips
Pairing:Chanbaek/Baekyeol
Genre:Romance, drama, ghost!AU
Rating:PG
Disclaimer:I own nothing beside this fic
Word Count:5,535
Summary:Never in his life, Park Chanyeol would think that he would fell for a ghost. The problem was, when it
happened, he did nothing to stop himself.

A/n:I'm sorry if this is too long because I edited this 38742916476 times ;;;;

 

 

Even though Taeyeon had sent a message saying that she was on her way already, Chanyeol didn’t expect Baekhyun to appear tonight. He sat cross-legged on his bed with his phone in his hands, face looked tired. His condition had never been good since he had known Baekhyun because he lost a lot of sleep, not that he minded, though.

Fifteen minutes after Taeyeon’s last message, Chanyeol went downstairs to meet her. When he passed the piano room, he let out a disappointed sigh because the room was empty. He opened the door and told the older female to come in because it was cold outside. Once Taeyeon was inside, she took off her shoes, scarf and coat.

“Is it okay if I park my car in front of your house?” Taeyeon asked as she hugged her scarf and coat in front of her chest. Chanyeol walked in and stole a glance at the piano room again, and Taeyeon peeked at the room, too.

“Yeah. This neighbourhood is not that crowded anyway. Would you like some tea?”

“Sure. Thanks.”

“Please wait on the couch.”

Taeyeon obeyed quietly and put her things beside her. She looked at the piano room, and blinked a few times, realizing it was still empty. She remembered the first time she had moved in this house with Baekhyun, she even remembered Baekhyun’s delighted expression as the boy had woken up to a new piano downstairs. The piano was a secondhand one, but the condition was good and Baekhyun had been grateful for that. She remembered how Baekhyun had hugged her with endless ‘thank you’s coming out his mouth.

She regretted it, but she knew it was too late.

When Chanyeol appeared a few minutes later with a cup of tea in his hand, Taeyeon looked sad. She lifted her head when the cup touched the surface of the table with a faint clink, and Chanyeol smiled at her, gestured her to drink the tea.

They stayed quiet for a good two minutes, until the lamp in the piano room turned off. Surprised, they stared at the room, breath held. The lamp soon again, and their eyes widened as a pale hand appeared on the door’s frame. When the owner of the hand showed up, Taeyeon gasp was extremely loud that Chanyeol was surprised again.

Baekhyun stood at the doorway, he gave a melancholic stare at Taeyeon. The young lady put her cup on the table and stood up, she looked at Baekhyun with eyes wet with tears. Her lips were quivering badly, and tears started to drip on her cheeks. The ghost, however, didn’t care about it.

“Baekhyun-ah...” Taeyeon called longingly. She walked towards Baekhyun, but he glared at her as a sign to not to step any closer than that. “Baekhyun-ah you have no idea how happy I am to see you—”

“Two years?” Baekhyun asked, voice trembling with anger. “After two years, you showed up just like this? You don’t feel guilty at all, do you?”

“I do!” Taeyeon cried. “I really want to apologize but I don’t know how to do it... and that’s exactly why I’m so happy to see you now!”

“You don’t even feel sorry, Noona. You don’t have to apologize.” Baekhyun detached his hand from the door’s frame. This time, his face looked so angry. Chanyeol could’ve sworn that Baekhyun’s eyes turned red for a glimpse. The fury in his eyes was exactly the same with the one he had given to Kyungsoo. “You didn’t even come to visit me, not even once! Guilty, my !”

“Baekhyun-ah, please listen to me just this once...” Taeyeon pleaded as her cry got louder.

“I’m not listening to anything,” Baekhyun rejected indignantly. “You don’t know the regret I have been feeling for the whole two years for not attending that freaking recital, right? You know if you hadn’t kicked me out of the house this wouldn’t have happened! But it happened, Noona!”

“And if you think I don’t regret it then you’re awfully wrong!” Taeyeon exclaimed stubbornly.

“I really don’t want to die before you, Noona.”

“Baekhyun-ah—”

“You don’t know how much I hate you!!”

Just like the other day, Baekhyun bumped Taeyeon, hovered above her with his hands around her neck. Chanyeol wanted to rush there to help, but he couldn’t move his body at all. He tried to move his arm but it felt like his arm was being ripped from the shoulder, it hurt like hell. With ragged breath, he glared at Baekhyun who was choking Taeyeon. The older female didn’t seem to fight back.

Taeyeon shut her eyes, her lungs almost gave up. However, Baekhyun’s eyes somehow softened at the sight, the happy memories he had with Taeyeon suddenly flashed in his mind, and Baekhyun cursed himself inwardly because of that.

Slowly, the fingers around Taeyeon’s neck became loose. Pressing his lips into thin line, Baekhyun sent Taeyeon a hurtful look, and ran to the piano room.

The moment Baekhyun entered the room, Chanyeol could feel his body again. He fell to his knees and hissed painfully because his body still hurt. He lifted his head to see Taeyeon standing up while coughing and went to the room. From her expression, Chanyeol could tell that Baekhyun wasn’t there anymore.

With another drop of tear on her cheek, Taeyeon walked back to the couch. Chanyeol quickly approached her and held her shoulder caringly.

“Noona. Noona, are you okay?” he asked in worry. Taeyeon smiled a bit, and even though her eyes were wet, she nodded lightly. Chanyeol, whose instinct was getting sharper lately, felt that something was off. He could see that Taeyeon regretted her mistake, but her sadness... was different. Her eyes told a whole different story from what he had seen. Chanyeol waited patiently until Taeyeon stopped crying. “Noona,” he called softly.

“Yeah?”

“Didn’t you say you would tell me anything?” Chanyeol asked, eyes narrowed. “About Baekhyun. There’s something you haven’t told me, right?”

“Right.” Taeyeon nodded, she wiped her wet cheeks with her hands. “Right. There’s something I haven’t told you. I’ll spit out everything.”

 

 

 

The sun was shining and the air was cold, streets were crowded since it was Sunday morning and people were having their free time spent with their loved ones. The sidewalks were full of people walking slowly, enjoying the November’s cold breeze. With scarfs wrapped tight around their necks and jackets buttoned all the way up, even in the middle of winter, they would feel warmth around their bodies.

There was no reason to be hurried and panic in such a peaceful season.

Expect for Park Chanyeol, who was running with all his might along the sidewalk. He apologized to every pedestrians he came across because he might bump into them.

“Baekhyun has no blood relation with me. She was my friend’s brother. His family died, so I volunteered to take care of him. We’re only 3 years apart, so I treat him like my own little brother.”

Chanyeol almost hit a pole appearing out of nowhere (or it was because he didn’t really pay attention to the things in front of him), but thanks to his fast reflex he was able to avoid the hard surface. He continued to run, not caring the way people looked at him or scolded him to be careful.

“He liked to sing and played piano a lot. We sang together often, and I really liked him.”

The red light was on so Chanyeol stopped right on the end of the sidewalk. He jumped a little in his place, unusually impatient. He put his palms over his cheeks because they were cold, he knew he had run a little too much, but he couldn’t stop now.

“I was jealous at him because he got more attention than me. He even got the chance to perform at the recital which I’ve been craving for my whole life. That recital was my dream.”

Chanyeol bit his lips, eyes suddenly became teary.

“I was so angry that I pushed him out of the house and told him not to come back...” Taeyeon sobbed to her palms, tears flowing out her eyes. “I knew it was wrong, because I regretted it right away. Baekhyun wasn’t in his jacket so I got out the house with his jacket and looked for him.”

The light turned green and Chanyeol ran across the road. His legs started to wobble but he didn’t have the time to care. He just needed to arrive as soon as possible.

“But I was late. The moment I found him, he was cold and pale... I didn’t know that he would get hit by a truck like that...”

Chanyeol’s destination was in sight, and he quickly ran to the front door and impatiently pressed the bell. He pressed it a few times until the door finally swung open by Kyungsoo who looked sleepy. However, his sleepiness disappeared to thin air when he saw Chanyeol.

“Chanyeol?!” he called in disbelief. He held Chanyeol’s wrist and pulled him inside. “What are you doing! It’s cold! Come in, quick!”

“Kyungsoo, listen to me,” Chanyeol said breathlessly as he kicked the door closed. “Listen, I just met Kim Taeyeon last night. She... she told me everything. It’s all clear.”

Kyungsoo squinted. He scanned Chanyeol’s exhausted face. “Is it about Baekhyun?”

“Yeah. Listen. Baekhyun, he’s...”

“Right now, Baekhyun is actually...”

“Baekhyun is alive.”

“...in the hospital.”

“He’s just unconscious, but he’s alive!”

“He has been in a coma for two years since that accident.”

Kyungsoo gasped as he flew his hand over his mouth. His already wide eyes widened even more, and he blinked in confusion. Chanyeol’s sobs snapped him back and he held Chanyeol’s arm, trying to comfort him. “So all this time... the one in the piano room... wasn’t a ghost?”

“Yeah.” Chanyeol held Kyungsoo’s hand. A droplet of tears fell to his cheek and Kyungsoo had to hug his giant friend. “Yeah, he wasn’t.”

 

 

 

It was just one of the hospitals in Seoul. Smell of medicine lingering around the air, and people with their own illness were walking back and forth. Doctors in white coat and stethoscope around their necks looked busy, while nurses with white uniform were serving the patients.

Fifth floor, room 512.

Chanyeol inhaled nervously, and Kyungsoo patted his back affectionately. “It’s okay, chill out.”

“Easy for you to say,” Chanyeol jeered and Kyungsoo only chuckled in return.

Finally, Chanyeol had enough courage to turn the knob and opened the door. It was a VIP room with only one bed, and both boys squinted as the sunlight attacked their eyes through the large window to the balcony. Once their eyes were comfortable enough with the lighting, a view of a boy lying on the bed entered their sight.

It was Baekhyun.

“Oh my God,” Chanyeol gasped as he walked to the side of the bed. He hardly believed his eyes, because the one in front of him was really Baekhyun, unconscious, not as pale, and looked peaceful. There was a medical monitor beside the bed which was showing Baekhyun’s slow but steady heartbeat, and an endotracheal tube was inserted into his mouth to blow oxygen from the ventilator. Chanyeol lifted his hand in hesitation, but then slowly caressed Baekhyun’s cheek with the back of his fingers. His cheek was warm. “It’s really him...”

“He’s pretty,” Kyungsoo said, “no wonder you fell for him.”

Chanyeol giggled. He nodded a few times, actually kind of amazed at himself because his type didn’t change since junior high. “I hope he will remember me the moment he wakes up.”

Kyungsoo put an arm around Chanyeol’s waist and leaned to him. “He will, relax, dude.”

 

 

 

(“Does this mean I don’t suffer from ual disorder? Wait I’m gay. Does being gay is also a ual disorder?”

“It’s just a ual orientation, you don’t have to worry.”)

 

 

 

Days spent by Chanyeol by waiting for Baekhyun to wake up.

Just as what Baekhyun had said, because Chanyeol had gone to Taeyeon’s house, Baekhyun never appeared again. The habit of unable to fell asleep or waking up at midnight didn’t change, and it made Chanyeol felt lonely. Sometimes he would go downstairs and sat behind the piano, imagining Baekhyun was sitting there and played songs he was willing to listen until the dawn came.

But he knew that it was just his wishful thinking.

To heal the longing in his heart, Chanyeol decided to visit Baekhyun often. Almost every evening, Chanyeol would go to the hospital and entered Baekhyun’s room quietly with a smile on his face. Sometimes he would spend his time staring at Baekhyun’s face, or holding his hand, or caressing his cheek, or telling him stories of his day with Kyungsoo.

Or telling him how much he missed him.

Not caring how many times the nurses scolded Chanyeol for staying too long in Baekhyun’s room, Chanyeol would always sat there as long as he could. He felt angry because Taeyeon didn’t visit Baekhyun—not even once.

“The doctor said that Baekhyun’s condition is getting better. He might wake up soon,” Chanyeol said when he was at an ice cream shop with Kyungsoo to celebrate his birthday (“Chanyeol your birthday is on the 27th.” “So?” “For God’s sake today is November 12!!” “I’m having mood swings these days, who knows if I’m not in the mood on my birthday? I might curse at you again.”).

The doe-eyed boy stuffed a spoonful of ice cream to his mouth before replying. “You must be glad, then.”

“I’m excited about it!” Chanyeol giggled. “But what am I supposed to do when he wakes up?”

Kyungsoo gave his spoon a . “Kiss him?”

“Wha—” Chanyeol widened his eyes in horror. “As soon as he wakes up? Are you kidding me?”

“Why not? It’s romantic.” Kyungsoo’s nonchalant tone almost drove Chanyeol mad. “Oh, speaking about that, have you confessed to him?”

“Confess... I haven’t...” Chanyeol grinned sheepishly, and Kyungsoo flicked his arm. “Ow! What was that for?!”

“For being an idiot,” Kyungsoo hissed. “You should confess to him. A kiss or two won’t mean anything if you don’t explain it with a confession. Prepare some pick-up lines to bring up the mood, too.”

“Aigoo, just like the love expert you are. What has Jongin done to you?”

“It’s not about me, Dumbo.”

“I’m not Dumbo!* My ears are big—I know it, but am I that fat, aish,” Chanyeol clicked his tongue in dislike.

 

 

 

Even with all of Kyungsoo’s suggestions, Chanyeol was still not sure about what to do. Nevertheless, after he and Kyungsoo were done with their ice cream, Chanyeol immediately went to the hospital again. As usual, he would sit beside Baekhyun’s bed, and did nothing besides adoring the petite boy’s pretty face.

“I don’t even understand why someone as beautiful as you could exist,” Chanyeol whispered as he brushed the tip of his finger on Baekhyun’s lower lip. Slowly, he slid his hand to hold Baekhyun’s hand in his. “Can you promise me to remember every second of our moments in the piano room? The songs, our duet, our first kiss... everything?”

The door was opened. “Chanyeol-ah, if you don’t want me to kick you out please kindly walk out now,” a nurse said without entering the room.

“Aish, what a mood breaker,” Chanyeol grunted.

“Did you just ‘aish’ at me?!” she hissed angrily.**

“What? Of course not! Wait, give me a second.” Chanyeol grasped Baekhyun’s hand with both of his and kissed the fingers delicately. “Night, Babe. I will come again.”

 

 

 

(The nurse flicked Chanyeol’s head with an indignant hiss when he walked through the door.

“Ow! Why would you do that?!”

“For ‘aish’-ing at me.”

“I didn’t—oh well. I’m sorry.”)

 

 

 

Despite the chilly air that sent frostbite to his spine, Chanyeol cheerfully walked down the streets with a small bouquet of flowers in his hand. He was wearing his lucky beanie, a long scarf covering half of his face, a coat over a hoodie, and two pairs of socks—there was no reason for him to feel cold.

Once he entered the hospital, he lowered his scarf so that he could spread his smile to everyone there. He always believed that if he wanted to be happy, he should make other people happy. Giving them a warm smile in the middle of freezing winter was the least he could do.

He inhaled the smell of the flowers, and he nodded in satisfaction because they still smelled good. He turned the knob slowly and opened the door.

The full view of the room entered his sight, but he widened his eyes because the room was crowded. There were two doctors and like four nurses. They were surrounding Baekhyun’s bed in panic, and Chanyeol froze in his place. What are they doing? What happened to Baekhyun?

It was then the nurse who always scolded Chanyeol for being too long in Baekhyun’s room recognized Chanyeol’s presence in front of the door. She walked towards the tall boy and opened the door for him. “Do not enter the room for a moment, please,” she said as she shoved Chanyeol out of the room.

“What happened to Baekhyun?? Hey!” Chanyeol resisted, but the nurse was more stubborn so he gave up. He sagged his shoulder and sighed in defeat when the nurse was about to enter the room. “Can you at least tell me what’s actually happening in there?”

The nurse didn’t move for a few seconds before replying and closing the door. “I can’t really tell. But everything should be clear the moment we finish this. Please be patient. Don’t ever try to enter, okay?”

Chanyeol groaned in frustration and nearly threw the flower to the floor. He his dry lips but it was his eyes that got wet. What was it? The nurse’s expression, even though she had tried to hide it, but she looked slightly panic and surprised. What the hell is happening? How’s Baekhyun’s condition? Did he wake up? Did he...

The tall boy could only grit his teeth angrily. There were too many possibilities, and his mind started to drift him to the bad ones.

He ended up walking back and forth in front of Baekhyun’s room for more than half an hour until one of the doctors came out with an exhausted face. Surprised, Chanyeol approached him and bowed deeply to him. “Seonsaengnim,” he called, “what happened to Baekhyun?”

“Are you his friend? Actually the last few months, his condition is getting better. But today... we don’t know yet...” he explained as he wiped his sweaty forehead.

“Is he awake now?” Chanyeol asked in hurry.

The doctor only sighed softly, he sent Chanyeol an unreadable look. He couldn’t really tell if it was defeat or hope, but he knew it wasn’t something good. In the end, the doctor only smiled at him. “For someone who has been in a coma for two years, that would be a miracle. We’ll figure out in a day or two.”

Chanyeol didn’t even move when the doctor walked away. He lowered his head and his eyes started to become wet again. As he let out the first sob, the previous nurse walked out of the room and was surprised upon seeing Chanyeol there. She was about to scold him again, but since the boy was crying, she had to resist herself. Gently, she held Chanyeol’s arm. “You should go home now. We’re also not sure about Baekhyun’s condition at the moment.”

He didn’t want to go home. He never ever wanted to leave Baekhyun. But there was nothing he could do. He could only wait and hope even though it hurt, even though it didn’t convince him at all. He lifted the flower bouquet in front of the nurse. “But... at least, can you... put this on the nightstand beside his bed? Please.”

Smiling, the nurse accepted the flower bouquet. “Baekhyun has been showing some moves nowadays, which is a good sign. We are expecting him to be awake soon, but now, we don’t know when,” the nurse explained, and Chanyeol only nodded at her. “I assume it was all because you always visit him. I will put this on his nightstand right away. Now go home and have some rest.”

Chanyeol finally lifted his head with a small smile on his face. He did an almost perfect 90 degree bow and thanked the nurse before leaving.

 

 

 

(It was late at night when a pair of eyes opened for the first time in two years. The eyes blinked a few times, trying to register the surrounding beside them. The eyeballs moved to scan the room, until they realized that it was inside a hospital room. Those eyes kept on moving until they spotted a small bouquet of flowers on the nightstand.

The graph of heartbeat on the monitor got faster and steadier.

A white card was inserted between the flower’s branches. A messy ‘From Chanyeol <3’ was scribbled there. The eyebrows above the eyes furrowed in confusion. “Chanyeol...?”

The next second, there were numbers of doctors and nurses who rushed into the room. “He’s awake!”

“Check the monitor!”

“It’s really a miracle!”)

 

 

 

It was another frosty Sunday morning when Chanyeol decided to visit Baekhyun again. He had spent a good seven days by gathering courage (featuring his private counsellor Do Kyungsoo-nim who had worked even harder). After some confident steps to Baekhyun’s room, he entered the room with no sound. Carefully, he closed the door, and turned around just to freeze in his place.

Baekhyun was awake.

The boy was sitting on the bed, not moving. The medical monitor and the ventilator weren’t there anymore. He was staring at the glass window which was on the opposite side with the place where Chanyeol was standing. The tall boy’s mind was in chaos. What should I do? Should I kiss him and confess? Should I run to his side and shout, ‘hi, I’m Chanyeol’?

For the umpteenth time in his life, he wished he was with Kyungsoo right now.

As if Baekhyun was aware of Chanyeol’s presence despite the fact that he entered the room soundlessly, he turned his head at a confused Chanyeol even before the fairy-eared boy had the chance to decide about what to do. They stared at each other for a while until Baekhyun smiled at him.

Chanyeol flinched. Why is he smiling at me? Does that mean that he remember me?

The way Chanyeol shifted his feet towards the bed was uncertain, and his surprised expression was undoubtedly unattractive, but his eyes were glistening with unshed tears of affection to the one and only Byun Baekhyun.

As soon as he stood beside Baekhyun’s bed, he lifted his hand to cup Baekhyun’s cheek. The petite boy fluttered his eyes when Chanyeol brushed his thumb under his eyes.

The stare Baekhyun gave to Chanyeol was unreadable, but Chanyeol didn’t want to lose his hope. “Baekhyun-ah... you—you remember me, right?”

There was a pang in Chanyeol’s heart when Baekhyun’s expression turned darker. “I’m afraid not...”

An ear-shattering crack was heard (only to Chanyeol) as his heart crumbled to a million pieces of misery. He didn’t understand why Baekhyun had to stare at him with such an apologetical look. It wasn’t even his fault, the one who had spent the time with Chanyeol was his soul, so there were possibilities that the memory didn’t get transferred to the body.

Chanyeol couldn’t do anything about it.

“It’s... it’s okay...” he said with a shaky voice, hands fell lifelessly to his sides. Slowly, he sat on his usual seat beside the bed, elbows digging the sheets, fingers grasping his hair desperately. “We can start over again... it’s okay...” he sobbed painfully.

Did the memories he had make with Baekhyun turn useless? He didn’t want to live in the past, but it was no use reminiscing all the good things by himself. He was thankful because he could continue loving Baekhyun in his human form, but not like this. If Baekhyun forgot everything, how could Chanyeol ensure him that he loved him?

Three fingers made their way through Chanyeol’s hair, and the owner of those fingers chuckled lightly. “Ssh, Park Chanyeol, don’t cry. I was joking.”

Chanyeol snapped his head. “What?!”

“There’s no way I would forget you. Stop crying,” Baekhyun chuckled again, and Chanyeol didn’t know if he had to be angry or cry in relief.

“Wha— you trolled me?!” Chanyeol asked in disbelief. He looked unsure, so he squinted. “What did I bring when we introduced ourselves to each other?”

“A bag of chips, a bar of chocolate, and a glass of chocolate milk? I’m sorry I made you broke the glass.”

“What was the song that we played together?”

“Spanish Romance.”

“What’s the name of my friend who slept over?”

“I’m pretty sure it was Kyungsoo.”

“The colour of the shirt I was wearing when I kissed you?”

“It was—what??”

A huge wave of relief washed Chanyeol, his crumbled heart started to heal itself. He hugged Baekhyun loosely, but he made sure Baekhyun felt the yearning from his erratically beating heart. “It wasn’t funny,” he grunted.

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun apologized as he nuzzled his nose to the crook of Chanyeol’s neck. They couldn’t see each other’s faces, but they could tell that the person they were hugging was smiling. A sincere, sweet smile.

 

 

 

“I’m curious about one thing,” Chanyeol said as he stuffed another biscuit into his mouth. The atmosphere in the room had become a lot lighter since both Chanyeol and Baekhyun didn’t need a lot of time to get used to each other’s presence again. “Why did you always knock me unconscious on our earlier meetings?”

“I told you, after what had happened with Taeyeon noona, it was hard for me to trust people. The families who moved in before you, they were all scared after they had seen me and then tried to ‘sterilize’ the house. What on earth, I’m not even a ghost,” Baekhyun grumbled. “I thought by knocking you down, you would be scared and ask your family to move out. I didn’t expect you to come again.”

“You’re too pretty, I can’t take my eyes off from you!” Chanyeol said courageously, and Baekhyun hit his arm playfully. “Oh, speaking of Taeyeon noona, has she come here?”

Baekhyun nodded lightly. “She has, two days ago. Her actual intention was to manage the administration and the payment, though. She came to my room just to cry and babble things. After that she went home and I don’t know.”

“Aish, that person...” Chanyeol grunted. He ate the last piece of biscuit, eyes scanning Baekhyun’s face and body. The petite boy sure was thinner than his ‘soul,’ but he was alive and real, and Chanyeol was thankful for that. Slowly, Chanyeol intertwined their fingers together. “How should we celebrate our first real meeting?”

“Um,” Baekhyun hummed. “Kiss me?”

Albeit being a bit taken aback with the unexpected request, Chanyeol giggled and pulled Baekhyun for a kiss. Their lips molded perfectly like they were made for each other, and Chanyeol liked the fact that Baekhyun’s lips felt hot on his, and weren’t freezing like their previous kiss.

Baekhyun was in front of him, solid and real and warm. All those times he had spent with Baekhyun’s soul had made him head over heels for the petite male, and he didn’t know how to explain his feelings now that he was with the real one.

Chanyeol accidentally brushed his finger behind Baekhyun’s ear, which happened to be his sensitive spot. The petite boy gasped, and Chanyeol used the chance to taste the latter’s mouth. Since Chanyeol was a good kisser, their noses didn’t even bump and Baekhyun moaned from the pleasure of the burning tongue inside his mouth. A drip of saliva escaped from the corner of Baekhyun’s mouth, but Chanyeol quickly it in.

It wasn’t a first kiss for both of them, but it was the first time they enjoyed kissing that much. Baekhyun who had a lot of empty spaces in his heart after living a whole two years of unreal life felt that those spaces were filled by Chanyeol. There were kisses, hugs, some soft brushes of his tongue, the feeling of being protected and loved...

...and Chanyeol.

He nearly cried because he hadn’t expected any of this. He hadn’t thought about being loved by someone despite his condition. He would need months to regain strength, to be able to walk again and such, but he didn’t saw any hint of burden on Chanyeol’s stare that he didn’t know how to thank the taller boy.

The kiss ended after Chanyeol nibbled on Baekhyun’s lower lip, and he smirked when he saw Baekhyun’s lips were swollen and cherry red. “I’m so going to be scolded by the nurses.”

 

 

 

(“You’re good at kissing, Chanyeol.”

“I know. I dated like 14 people before so—”

“You what?!”

Chanyeol fled to the door. “Oh God I’m so thirsty gonna buy some cola from the vending!”)

 

 

 

(Taeyeon walked to the bank of Han River, she had her phone and a photo frame clutched tight in her hand. She stared at the calmingly flowing water with a bitter smile on her face. She lifted the photo frame, it was the photo of him and Baekhyun five years ago. Slowly, she ran her fingers on Baekhyun’s face, her smile turned to a sincere smile as some sweet memories flashed in his mind.

She abruptly pulled out her purse from her jacket and took out Baekhyun’s sticker photos. She piled them in her hand along with the frame and phone.

“What hadn’t I do for you, Sogogi-yah?” she asked to herself while staring at one of Baekhyun’s sticker photos. “I faked my name to manage the hospital-things, and now I will throw our inanimate memories away so that you won’t be investigated later!”

In a second, all of the things in her hand were thrown to the Han River, and she smirked, feeling relieved because no one would find those things.)

 

 

 

It was the first week of December when Chanyeol showed up at the hospital with a newspaper in his hand. The title of the news on the first page said ‘Female Commits Suicide in Public Restroom,’ and Baekhyun squinted in confusion at Chanyeol, but the taller male insisted that he should read it. And so Baekhyun did.

The only thing Baekhyun read was only, ‘Gangdo-gu, Seoul — A 21-year-old female, Kim Taeyeon, was found dead in one of the public restroom around suburbs of Seoul by hanging herself with a scarf...,’ before throwing the newspaper to the floor. Chanyeol didn’t take it and only stared at Baekhyun sadly.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, voice shaking. “You—you should read the article till the end, Baekhyun-ah.”

“I don’t want to.”

Chanyeol inhaled deeply. “The police found a suicide note in her jacket which said, ‘I did this because I feel guilty, Sogogi. You said you don’t want to die before me, didn’t you.’” Baekhyun flinched at the name. “They have no idea who ‘Sogogi’ was. They didn’t find Taeyeon noona’s phone. I tried to call her but her phone was dead.”

Baekhyun didn’t answer.

“’Sogogi’ is you, right, Baekhyun?”

The only reply Chanyeol got was tears that spilled off Baekhyun’s eyes. The petite boy buried his face on his palms, muffling the sobbing from his mouth. Chanyeol hugged him immediately, kissing his head softly and caressing his back endearingly. Before he knew it, he cried along with Baekhyun. “I’m sorry, Baekhyun-ah. I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

The winter was frosty, and the first snow brought up smiles on people’s faces. Christmas decorations started to fill the streets, so it was a pity to spend the year-end by staying in the house because you will miss the pretty sparkling lights. Topics about gifts, events and delicious foods started to be murmured, like they were the annual topic that being brought up every December.

As for Park Chanyeol, for the first time in his life, didn’t ask for any gifts for this year’s Christmas. He had gotten a very precious gift, and he couldn’t ask for more.

It was Byun Baekhyun. A pretty, gentle boy named Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

 

(“Ah, there’s something I forgot to tell you,” Chanyeol said one snowy day. He pulled Baekhyun closer and stared right into his eyes. “I love you.”

Baekhyun fell silent at the confession. With his face blushed deep red, he hit Chanyeol’s chest lightly before burying his face there. “You know that I love you too, don’t you.”

“Kyungsoo told me that kisses aren’t enough to express our feelings.”

“He’s right, but try to learn the situation... there are things that you can leave unsaid in this kind of situation, you know.” Heck, Baekhyun inwardly thought, I want you to say those things more.

“Ah, really?” Chanyeol scratched his head awkwardly. He really should stop relying on Kyungsoo too much. “So... do you want to be my boyfriend?”

Instead of answering, Baekhyun crushed their lips together, and whispered a genuine, ‘of course, silly,’ between the kisses.) 

 

* In case you don't know, THIS is Dumbo
** It's considered impolite to say 'aish' to older people in Korea

A/n2:I DON'T KNOW HOW TO END THIS SO SORRY IF THIS IS CRAPPY AND THE KISS SCENE OH MY GOD WHAT TO DO
A/n3:I killed Taeyeon here simply because my actual reason to write this was my annoyance due to Baekhyun-Taeyeon dating issue. I don't care much about that atm tho, hehe. But that was the original plot so I didn't change it :D
A/n4:CAN THIS BE CONSIDERED AS GHOST AU
A/n:I'm considering to write sequels of this... a kaisoo and another chanbaek. wdyt?