Wishful Thinking

I Hope

“I hope you fall for her"

 

    Jongdae peers over the edge of his thickly bound book as he watches Yifan leaning against the far wall of the library. Even from across the room, Jongdae can see the look of admiration and ever-so-familiar loving gaze in Yifan's eyes. The recipient of the gaze is a petite brunette who has her hair tucked in a messy bun and her large, round eyes that are studying the novel in her hands. Yifan pushes off the wall and makes his way over to her, sitting down and attempting to make conversation. Jongdae's heart clenches as he watches the scene. So he buries his nose back into the book that he has long since lost interest in, not noticing when Sehun seats himself next to him.

 

"And I hope she falls for you too."

 

Shuffling into his 20th Century Music class, Jongdae finds the brunette from the library sitting in the seat next to his. Reluctantly, he drags himself to his seat, plopping his stuff down as he sits. Preparing to ignore her for the entirety of the class, Jongdae turns to Sehun. But when she introduces herself to him as the transfer student, Soojung, Jongdae can't help but befriend her. Soon enough, they're inseparable and Soojung tells Jongdae all about the handsome, tall guy named Wu Yifan that she met and has been hanging out with. Asking if Jongdae thinks Yifan's serious about her, Jongdae chokes out a yes and Soojung squeals with glee.

 

    The next day, Soojung and Yifan announce that they are going out. Jongdae fakes a smile as he congratulates them, not showing Soojung nor Yifan the tears streaming down his face as he sobs into Sehun's chest that night.

 

"And while you are planning out your future together"

 

    Sipping on his coffee, Jongdae doesn't expect to see Soojung in the little cafe. When she spots him though, she runs up to him and start squealing excitedly about how Yifan asked her to live with him. About how far their relationship has gone in the past couple of years. About how they might get married and about how they might have children one day. Jongdae just nods, faking a smile until her phone rings, the caller ID showing, "Yifan <3 <3 <3". She bids Jongdae goodbye as she presses the cellphone to her ear and coos, "Hey, baby boo" into it. As Soojung exits the cafe, Sehun slips into the seat across from Jongdae that she had just occupied. And soon, they forget about Soojung and Yifan as their conversation is filled with smiles and laughs.

 

"I hope she gets up and walks right out your front door."

 

         Curled up in a bundle of warm blankets, Jongdae groans when he hears the buzzing of his phone from across the room. Getting up, Jongdae grabs the device and unlocks it, revealing a text from Soojung.

[From: Junggie

 To: Me

I left Yifan :( ]

 

Jongdae's eyes widen with shock as he quickly taps out a reply.

 

[From: Me

 To: Junggie

Why?!??]
-----
[From: Junggie

 To: Me

Just didn't feel right anymore. . . .I think I like someone else]
-----
[From: Me

 To: Junggie

Who?!?]
-----
[From: Junggie

 To: Me

 . . . . . Oh Sehun]

The corners of Jongdae's mouth curls up into a mischievious grin as he stares at the last message.

 

"I hope you never see her again. "

 

            Jongdae walked towards the coffee shop where he's supposed to meet Sehun. Hearing familiar shouts and yells, he scurries behind a nearby tree. Jongdae watches as Yifan grabs Sehun by the collar, his heart racing with worry. Yifan's eyes are bloodshot and his hair ruffled. Much unlike the man a couple of years ago who cared for his own appearance more than the wellbeing of others. 

 

Sehun's face stays stoic as Yifan screams over and over again, "YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SEDUCED MY SOOJUNG AREN'T YOU?!?"

 

Raising his empty fist, Yifan is about to punch him when a pair of tiny hands grab his shirt and a feminine voice pleas with Yifan to let Sehun go. 

 

"WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HIM LIKE YOU LOVE HIM?!? YOU LOVE ME!", Yifan yells and Jongdae holds his breathe, anticipating Soojung's response. Soojung only yells back, "YIFAN, I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE!! IT'S OVER BETWEEN US!! THERE'S NOTHING BETWEEN ME AND SEHUN!! HE DOESN'T EVEN ING LIKE ME!!" before storming off, tears in her eyes. Yifan lets go of Sehun and chases after her, pleading, "Soojung!! Please!! Wait!!"

 

As Yifan and Soojung disappear, Jongdae rushes to hug Sehun. Finally letting go of his breathe, tears start to stream down Jongdae's face.

 

"I hope she breaks your heart. ”

 

    Jongdae sat on a park bench, a cigarette hanging from his mouth and puffs of smoke trailed out from his mouth. Sehun came and sat beside him, reaching over to pluck the cigarette from the other's mouth.

"Hey!" Jongdae yelled as Sehun put out the smoldering stick with the sole of his shoe.

 

"I never knew you smoked. I think you should stop,” Sehun chastised.

 

"I never knew you were such a brat. I think you should stop," Jongdae retorted playfully, both men chuckled at the comment.

 

"I heard Yifan hyung gave up on Soojung and moved back to Canada. But before that, he rarely ever came out of his room nor went to any of his classes. And when people saw him, they said he looked like total . Do you think he got what he deserved?" Sehun asked, watching Jongdae.

 

"Yeah. I think he got what he deserved. It's about time that got a taste of his own medicine," Jongdae replied. Lacing his fingers with Sehun's, Jongdae stared at how their hands fit together perfectly.

 

"Yeah, I think so too," Sehun kissed the top of Jongdae's head as the shorter rested his head on Sehun's shoulder.

 

"Just like you broke mine."

 

Jongdae sat next to a small fire, a small shoe box fit snugly next to him. Opening the lid, Jongdae picked up the photo that laid at the top of the pile in the box. Within the photo showed a young, Cheshire grinned boy, at the age of 12. A gummy-smiled taller boy had his arm slung over the smaller boy's shoulder. They both grinned into the camera. Staring at it reminiscently, he tossed it into the flames. The next photo in the pile was of the same two boys. The smaller one now 14 but not an inch taller yet just as happy as he was before while the other boy now wore a fake smile with cold eyes. Jongdae crumpled up the photo and dropped it into the hungry fire. The third photo showed the two boys again. The smaller 16 and the taller 17, both looking away from the camera with faltering, fake smiles and empty eyes. Feeling his throat tighten, Jongdae quickly fed it to the fire. Beneath the remaining photos from unknown times lay letters in crappy, scribbled handwriting. Hearts doodled around the edges faded into nothing and soon became ash as Jongdae dumped them into the fire. Silent tears started to run down Jongdae's cheeks as he watched the flickering flames engulf the box of memories. 

 

    A pair of arms wrap themselves around Jongdae's waist and a solid, warm body presses itself against Jongdae's back. Jongdae startles but soon relaxes when the familiarity of Sehun sets in.

 

"You're crying. Why are you crying?" Sehun hugged Jongdae tighter. "Are you sad cause you're finally letting Yifan hyung go?"

 

Shaking his head, Jongdae leans back into Sehun. "I let Yifan hyung go years ago. I'm just burning the physical evidence now."

 

"Then why are you crying?"

 

"’Cause I'm sad that I'm finally letting myself go. To burn the physical evidence and memories of a big chunk in my life."

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Don't be. Cause now I'll be able to make new memories with you to make up for all that has been burned."

 

"So cheesy," Sehun chuckled, pecking Jongdae on the cheek and wiping away his tears.

 

"Shut up, you love it," Jongdae retorts.

 

"I do," Sehun whispers into Jongdae's hair.

 

"I love you too."