가을

Strong Heart

 

 

"This is easy!" Areum beamed as she pressed the green button excitedly. "I'm good right?" she wiggled her eyebrows at an amused Baekhyun, who shook his head at her and sat himself down as he watched the girl admire the photocopy machine like it were some kind of a magical transformer thingy.

Watching the duo laughing from the door window- "What's going on?" Sehun asked as he stepped into the store room, eyeing Areum with the corner of his eyes nd quickly averting it towards Baekhyun. "What is she doing here?"

"I called her." he shrugged, peeling the skin of his orange, not caring to throw the peels into the dustbin that stood just beside his dangling legs.

"Why?" Sehun asked, moving forward and handing over some folders towards the boy, sitting on the faxing machine like it were the most comfortable seat in the world. “I need copies.”

"Don't give it to me." he replied sassily, nodding his head at Areum who busied herself by collecting the bundle of A4 sheets at the bottom drawer. "She's our new copy girl." he smirked, gorging 3 peices of oranges into his tiny mouth. "Jonghyun's at leave."

"I didn't recieve any notice." Sehun said, placing the folder at the desk near the photocopy machine. "What're you doing here anyway? Aren't you supposed to be at the base? I'm running around like a mad person. Where the hell is Kyungsoo?" as it is, he had a bad night and to top that off, his right hand man, Kyungsoo decided to bail on him.

"Geez!" Baekhyun winced. "One question at a time bro." he grinned when he noticed the not amused expression on Sehun's face. "Well, Suho Hyung and Chanyeol are there and since Kyungsoo was already close by, he went there and I came here." He paused, placing a finger on his chin as if in deep thought. “Did I answer all the questions?” 3 seconds after dramatic blinking and eye rolling, he hummed. “Hm. I think that is all.”

"What the !" Sehun groaned. Kyungsoo was his secretary at the office. Although he handled the Intel department of their underground work, he also made the best right hand man, a person Sehun could trust. Unlike Baekhyun, who was smart, but incredibly lazy. "Do me a favo—" before he could even complete, Baekhyun sprang up, holding out his index finger, stopping the boy from speaking any further.

"No! Look." he said, swinging his arms over his tall dongsaeng's shoulder. "You know how much I hate doing physical work, which is why I took the trouble to ask Jongin for Areum's number so she could help us out since we're a man down." he explained, just when the younger one almost spoke, he held his finger to his lips and continued, a crooked smile playing over his lips. "Although all this office work has nothing to do with me. Me, being the good Hyung that I am, took my time out to help you at your darkest day, even though I should be working at the base."

"Hyung—"

"I'm not done little one." he smirked, pulling the busy girl away from the beeping machine and pushing her towards Sehun who grunted and almost lost his cool, ready to punch his Hyung, but ended up holding Areum for support as she slipped on her heels and stumbled back.

"You okay?" he asked the girl as he straightened her and pushed the hair falling over her eyes when she suddenly slapped his hands away and squeezed herself out of his grasp.

Before they knew, Baekhyun was already out of sight, not a trace of him to be found.

"ing Byun Baekhyun!" Sehun swore as he slowly breathed to calm himself and headed towards the copying machine, grabbing the folder and bending down to look at the LCD screen on the machine, not understanding a word. "What the hell?" he squint and tried to press different buttons but it wouldn't budge. As amazing as he was with gadgets and machines, a copying machine wasn’t something he knew how to operate.

“Kill me now.” He growled under his breath feeling like all the Gods had turned against him, watching him with amusement from somewhere as he suffered. Feeling a soft tap on his shoulder he turned around, slapping his cheeks in frustration.

"The key." Areum said as she held out a small cylindrical grey thing. Seeing his confused expression, she sighed and pushed him aside to insert the key herself and snatched the folder from his hands. "How many copies?"

"Ah.. Wha-" he cleared his throat and leaned closer to look at documents when Areum suddenly flinched away. "I'm not going to do anything, if that's what you're thinking." he said, taking the folder in his hands and shoving the papers into her hand. "4 of these and 6 of the rest." he said, leaning against a shelf full of stationery items.

Without any word, Areum obediently did what she was told and handed him the sheets, grabbing and swinging her bag over her head, she turned to proceed to the door when she felt herself being pushed, her back towards the door; gently. A tiny squeal escaped and she immediately felt a hand cup her lips.

Sehun’s face was dangerously near as his hand slam itself beside her head. His warm breath caressed her face and neck and she felt her cheeks turn warmer every passing second. He slowly removed his hand from and a long sigh escaped his lips.

"What're y-you doing?" she managed to squeak as she tried to push him away but failed. "Sehun!"

Taking in a deep breath he closed his eyes and hung his head low. It suddenly dawned to Areum how tired and haggard he looked, his hair was a mess, his shirt collar wasn't even properly done. As much as she wanted to stay angry at him, she just couldn't.

Slowly she cupped his cheeks and made him look at her only to notice how his eyes were red and showed lack of sleep. Moving his hands down, she fixed his collar and pushed the hair away from his eyes.

"I only wanted you to be safe." he suddenly said, looking up and slowly removing a hand from the wall and running his hand through his hair.

"I know." she sighed. "Sehun, I'm sorry about what happened that other time." she breathed a shaky breath, her hands fiddling with the buttons on his shirt. Her heart jumped at his sentence, unable to contain the jitters, she looked away.

"I read the note." he smiled. Tucking the strand of her hair behind her ear. "You cook well."

Areum grinned and teasingly shoved his chest lightly only to be pulled closer by the boy.

He wove his arms around her small body and gave it a squeeze only before giving a light kiss on top of her head. "Make me something tonight."

"Like I would." Areum smiled a crooked smile, taking in the mixed scent of his lavender washing detergent and his manly cologne. She swore she too started to smell like him, given that they shared the same detergent.

"Or do you prefer we go and eat someplace else?" he suggested, pulling away from the embrace only to pull up his sleeves and stare intently at the girl. “Since you’re not really well yet.” He said, his hand trailing down to her stomach and softly grazing his fingers over her clothed wound.

"L-like a date?"

Sehun smiled his most gorgeous smile as he bent down and placed a chaste kiss on her lips.

"Yes. Like a date."

 

 

 

Areum ran from her closet to the mirror, holding a handful of dresses and tops, still deciding on what to wear to her 'date' with Sehun.

The weather wasn't as cold as the other days but the weather forecast said so otherwise. There was to be an expected snow storm although it hadn't snowed the whole month.

After working as Sehun's personal secretary for the day since he seemed to struggle without Kyungsoo, Areum decided to help. Running errands and answering calls for him. Since Sehun had some meetings to attend, by 3 in the evening, he made sure Areum reached safely by sending Chanyeol to drop her home, which he surprisingly did. After what had happened outside the office, Chanyeol's behavior towards Areum had changed drastically, he'd even make the effort to smile although Areum knew deep inside how hard it would've been.

Wearing a white fleece dress, barely reaching up to her knees with a pair of black stockings and black boots with a little heel. Areum tied her hair into a high pony, clipping away all her fringes to form a small puff at the top of her head.

"He's late." she murmured to herself as she placed her purse down and decided to take a small nap on the couch.

 

 

 

After a number of gentle nudges, Areum fluttered her eyes and found Sehun kneeling as he propped his elbows at the edge of the couch, staring at her with an amused expression.

Please don't tell me I drooled. She chanted mentally, sitting up and fixing her disheveled pony tail as she struggled to wipe her face rigorously, causing her tinted balm to smear over her cheeks.

"What's the time?" she yawned, as she put her feet down and stretched.

"10 minutes past 8." Sehun said standing up and bending down only to wipe the balm from her cheeks gently. Areum noticed how he was still wearing his attire from the office and his face looked pale and tired. "We should head out." he said, holding out his hand for Areum to hold, but she shook her head.

 

"You look tired Sehun. We shouldn't go out like this." she said, standing up on her own, grabbing her boots and placing them at a corner. "We can eat here."

"I promised you."

"It's okay. Besides, I read that it'll snow tonight." she gently placed her hand on his arm and squeezed it once, before moving pass him. "I'll make us something to eat. Go clean up."

With the way she spoke, Sehun was suddenly reminded of how his mother would say the same things after he'd return from dancing school, her delicious apple pies, her warm hugs before sending him off to school.

His eyes followed Areum as she slowly walked towards the kitchen, stretching her hands with a loud yawn. A smile crept up his face as he thought of their reconciliation, being the proud man he was, the word ‘Sorry’ never came out from his mouth. But thankfully, Areum wasn’t like him. And he was beyond thankful for that because to be honest, although he’d never admit it aloud, he couldn’t imagine Areum walk out of his life. He owed his thanks to Jongin. Afterall-

 

Areum was the best mistake that could’ve happened to him.

 

 

 

 

"What's this?" Sehun asked as he peeked from Areum's shoulder to look at the dish she was currently preparing since all the others were done while he was cleaning up. "Do you need help?"

"Almost done." she answered, professionally stirring the pot with her right hand while the other placed the lid over the already baked beef pie. "It's my first time making a pie."

"Let me have a look." he said, taking off the lid and looking at the golden glazed pastry puff, with a little of the meat's juices seeping through the cracks. "Looks awesome." he smiled, giving a pat on her back as he headed to the dining table and placed the plates.

 

 

 

 

"Wait!" Areum screamed, holding Sehun's wrist as he tried to eat the spoonful of her experimental beef pie. "What if it's raw inside? Let me first hav—"

"Raw meat won't kill me Areum." he smirked, moving his head forward to take a bite.

Areum watched in anticipation as he swallowed with a poker face. He hates it. He likes it. Slowly, he put his spoon down and grabbed the wine bottle and poured himself a 2nd glass. Burying her face in her hands, she groaned inwardly. Everything was going so well, all the other dishes weren't bad, even their conversation wasn't awkward. That freaking pie—

"Aren't you going to have some?" Sehun asked as he cut a piece and offered it to Areum, who stared at him in horror. "What?" he tilt his head in confusion at her hostile stare.

"You're going to make me it eat?" she scowled. How dare he try to feed me raw meat?

"Yes. Why?" he asked shrugging and placing the serving for himself. "If you don't want any, I'd be happy to finish it off." he picked up his salad knife and cut himself the pie, making it's crust crackle. "This is bliss."

Areum opened to say something but eventually found herself smiling instead as she watched him eat earnestly. Although she too wanted to eat a bite or two of the pie, she couldn't help but let Sehun finish it off since he seemed to like it a lot.

 

 

 

 

"Just keep it at the sink Areum. The maid will come early morning." Sehun said slowly placing his hand on her waist and pulling her away from the sink. "Leave it."

"A maid?" Areum asked, confused. She'd never seen a maid around, at least not while she was around.

"She comes early morning. You're never up by the time she comes." Sehun said, grabbing a grape from the dining table and popping it into his mouth.

Areum inclined her head in shame at what he'd said. She realized she'd never woken up earlier than 8 up until now, which is why she never met the maid. "I-I'll wake up early from now onwards. I promise."

Sehun laughed as he sat himself on the couch and brought the MacBook pro on his lap. "Yeah, you should. Since you're now my P.A."

"P.A?" Areum repeated, sitting herself at the other corner of the couch.

"Personal assistant."

"What? Why? When? Ho—" Areum burst into gazillion questions. "What do you mean your personal assistant?"

"You have nothing to do at home anyway do you?" he mumbled, fixing the cushion behind his back. "Besides, you already have a background with entrepreneurship."

"I didn't even graduate." Areum replied in a low voice, folding her legs. "I dropped out, remember?"

Sehun didn't bother to answer as he slouched down his seat, switching the channels and stopping at BBC, eyes flicking back and forth from his MacBook to the TV.

Biting her lower lip, Areum looked away, brushing her hair away from her face.

"Something is up with you." Sehun said, looking her way as he ed his cardigan. "What is it?"

"Nothing." she shook her head, pulling down her mid length gown.

"Okay." he turned away, resting his arms on the back rest, slightly brushing Areum's shoulder, sending shivers to her spine with just a mere touch.

"A-actually." she cleared and pat her chest. "Sehun... I," placing her palm on her knees she started again. "I.. About the things I said last time. I-I'm sorry." she paused. "And thank you for the kittens." she slightly sulked as she continued away. "But they all ran away."

Sehun chuckled. "You already apologized." Realizing what she’d said he paused. “They ran away?” he asked amused, glancing at the slightly red girl beside him, looking so small with her legs wrapped under her body. "You'll have to wake up early. Go sleep."

"What about you?" she asked, standing up and grabbing her knitted scarf from the adjacent single couch.

"Did I ever have trouble waking up early?" Sehun shot rather teasingly.

"N-no. I'm on my way." Areum swallowed, embarrassed. "Good night Sehun."

Sehun nod his head slightly in acknowledgement as his eyes glued on to the TV.

Knowing she'd not get any more than the nod, she turned around headed to her haven.

Searching for her phone to set an alarm, she wandered around her room. Finally realizing where she'd  put it, she ran to the dresser and pulled out the top drawer to find a box placed neatly next to her phone with a sticky note attached to the screen of her phone.

 

 

 

I’m sorry too.

- S

 

 

A huge smile crept to her face as she opened the velvet box and met the ring she wore a few days ago but lost it due to her pride.

Sliding the ring through her finger she wondered if her mother had been still alive would she have approved of Sehun?

 

Maybe. Maybe not.

 

 

Whatever her thought would've been, it wouldn't matter to Areum now because it suddenly struck to her.

 

 

 

I'm falling for him.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Author’s note:

So the storyline is actually progressing. HALLELUIJAH!!
Mushy-mushy chapter. Uack! Haha.
Hope ya’ll like itttthhh!




heyitsme94