Love Letter

Salad Days

Summer, 2000

Changmin was waiting for his bestfriend, Kyuhyun, at school gate when she passed by. Victoria, or more known as Song Qian for her classmates. His love interest back then, and he planned to confessed to her the next day.

 

 2005,

SM High School

Changmin was leaned on his chair lazily, students of class 2-3 were boisterous about new student who supposed to join them then. Nobody knew was the new student a girl or a boy, and they noisily discussed about that.

“Min… Changmin…” He heard his friend, Minho called him from the seat behind him.

“Hmmm…” The brunette made a voice of acknowledgement without sparing a glance.

Minho was excited, when he walked to stand in front of Changmin’s table. His hands flailing everywhere, “Do you hear about the new student? I am curious.” He grinned at Changmin who was seems overwhelmed by Minho’s over flowing energy at that early morning. “Do you know is it boy or girl? I can’t waiiiit~”

“GIRL. I saw her at principal office.” Joghyun who just joined his friends told them.

While his friends squealing and discussed further about this apparently new girl, Changmin just staring blankly.

“Yaaah, something wrong?” Minho nudged him with his elbow when he noticed his friend was unusually quiet.

Changmin sighed and stand up, “Nothing… Just not interested.” He walked to the door, and turned around, “I go to the rooftop to sleep. Call me when the bells ring, okay?” and then out.

***

Minho and Jonghyun looked at each other, before Jonghyun asked his friend, “Hey, do you heard about him?”

A moment later Changmin heard Minho answer, “About the gossip Min doesn’t like girls? He always with us after all.” Then he continued with hushed voice —which actually useless since Changmin still could heard him, “Do you think it’s true?”

The brunette gritted his teeth before walk away from his classroom wondering why he have them as his friends. ‘This bastards… I don’t hear that…”

He stomped as he walks to the rooftop. ‘I just not interested,’ he sighed, suddenly remembers about that summer five years ago…

 

Summer, 2000

Little Changmin want to confessed to Song Qian, but he was not brave enough. Kyuhyun told him to just write a letter, and put it in her locker.

He did, the next day, after school, he was standing in front of Song Qian’s locker. Love letter at his hand before he slipped it inside her locker, with a hope she will read it and maybe, just maybe she like him too.

The next day, Changmin found his love letter posted at his class blackboard. When he stood frozen, couldn’t believe what he saw, his classmates started to laugh at him. What hurt him was he heard Song Qian voice in the midst of that humiliating voices.

Since then, Changmin stopped believe at love, or any romantic relationship. He felt like he was unable to love anymore.

 

2005,

Started to climbed the stairs lead to rooftop, Changmin sighed for the umpteenth times that morning. ‘She was too much…’

He grabbed the doorknob and turned it, ‘I told her my feeling, yet she threw it like a trash-‘

The brunette frozen when he saw what was behind the door.

A girl, in the middle of took off her shirt. Just in her underwear, and looked straight at Changmin’s eyes. She must be stoned due to shock, because for seconds that girl just standing there before blushing madly and screamed, “Huwaaaaa!!!!”

Changmin couldn’t help his eyes wandering to her round s, and milky white thighs. He just snapped from his eye-feast after the girl screamed, and he immediately slammed the door, shouting “Sorry!!! I’m sorry!! Sorry!! Sorry!!”

***

Changmin was flustered, tried to stop the images flooding his mind whilst mumbling incoherently, “There is a girl… girl… In the rooftop… At school…” His eyes unfocused.

His heart skipped a beat when the door opened. He glanced behind, and that girl came out from behind the door.

“ert!”

Just that single word enough to made him flustered even more. “W-why… Rooftop… Clo-clothes…” He stuttered, and his cheeks reddened even more if that was possible.

The girls frowned at him, “I need to change to my uniform! I don’t know where is girls restroom! So I change here!” She looked sharply at him, “You can’t unseen what you see.” She deadpanned, and Changmin wished there was a hole opened and he can just buried himself.

“What your name?” The girl asked him.

“Eh?”

“Your name!!!” She snapped.

“Ch- Changmin. Shim Changmin.”

“Hah?” She come nearer, scrutinizing Changmin’s face closer than what comfortable. After a moment full of awkwardness, suddenly her hand clamped , “I- impossible” Her words muffled, and then she ran away just like that.

***

Park Jungsoo, their teacher, entered the class with a girl tailing after him. “Guys, this is your new friend.” He smiled, and pointing at the girl beside him, “Victoria Song.”

Changmin felt like someone just throw him a bucket of ice water.

‘Victoria Song… Song Qian…’ His face paled as if he just meet a ghost. ‘That evil woman…’

Meanwhile, Victoria introduced herself in front of the class, all smile and sunshine.

***

At break time, his classmates, includes Jonghyun and Minho, were swarmed around her. Changmin saw that and grumbled inwardly. ‘ She is indeed pretty from outside. I was deceived too.’

“Shim Changmin?”

He heard someone called him, and turned around, “Ne?” Startled when he directly face to face with Victoria.

Victoria smiling sweetly at him, “Where is vending machine?” She tilted her head a little, seems sweet and innocent, “Can you show me?”

Changmin frowned at her before sighed and turned around, lead the way to the nearest vending machine. “Here.”

Victoria just stand in front of the machine, “I want banana milk.” She said.

“Hah?”

“Please…” She smiled sweetly at him.

Changmin was speechless before snapped, “You want me to pay??!”

Victoria grinned at him, “You bought me my banana milk. I won’t say a words about this morning. Deal?”

“…” ‘She blackmailing me…’

***

They sat at deserted stair whilst Victoria sipped her milk happily. “ive years we didn’t Meet Changmin.” She said, “You changed a lot. Taller, Deeper voice…”

“…”

“Unexpected, eh?” She just continues despite Changmin was silent all the time. “In this big world, we can meet each other again.”

“That called fate,” He said, “or maybe bad luck…” he mumbled the last words.

When Victoria looked at him, Changmin couldn’t help but said, “Actually I don’t want to meet you again.” He looked away,

“What do you say?” Vic leaned closer to him, and the brunette heart skipped a bit —again.

“Hmmm… Say something like that to people you just harassed?” She smirked at him, and his heart felt like stop beating. “What will be our friends reaction if I tell them?”

“Wha- What?” Changmin panicked.”That was an accident… I-“

She just shrugged, her hands wide open, “Tsk, will they believe you? Or me? They seems like me already.” She snorted.

“Stop it!!!”

She laughed, “If I come back to class, all teary, and tell them you harassed me, there is no way they won’t believe me…”

Changmin was speechless, cold sweat dripped down his back.

“If you want to be safe, from now till our graduation, you are my slave.” She said lightly, whilst Changmin felt he would passed out because of stress.

***

“Min…”

“Changmin!”

“Shim Changmin!!!” She screamed after Changmin didn’t heard her for the third time.

“Ahh… Yes?!” He snapped out of his trance.

“Put out the trash for me, okay?”

“…” he didn’t say anyting, and just took the trash can.

***

“Changmin!! I want banana milk…”

“Yes,,,” The boy immediately stand up to buy her drink although he wasn’t finished his lunch yet.

***

They were at the school hallway, ready to go home after long day at school when suddenly raining hard.

“Changmin… Umbrella!!”

“Okay.” The brunette just gave his umbrella to her, and wait the rain to stop before he go home himself.

***

“Changmin…”

*Min…*

“Shim Changmin…”

***

She will called her anytime he want something, and days after, the brunette found himself cornered by Jonghyun and Minho. “What is this Min???!” The magnae asked him.

“Hah?” He answered blankly, didn’t quite grab what they meant.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know. Victoria!!” Joghyun was practically screaming at him, his saliva bursted everywhere.

“Ewww…” Changmin moved away disgusted. “You are misunderstood, we just elementary school classmate.” He said.

“Really?” Kyuhyun who for once joined them said, just for the sake of ‘adding oil to the fire’.

Before Changmin could answer him, and maybe kicked his bestfriend , they heard someone shouting.

***

“Don’t disturb me!!!” She shouted, “Why come here?!”

The middle aged woman stretched her hand, seems want to reach for the girl’s, “Qian…”

“Aren’t it decided already?” The girl who turned out as Victoria snapped and moved away, avoiding her hand, “Nothing to talk about anymore.”

“Song Qian…”

***

“Who is she?” Jonghyun asked to no one.

Changmin answered automatically. “Victoria’s mother.”

“Woah… She is as beautiful as her daughter,” Minho responded.

***

The next day Changmin saw her at locker room, and didn’t know what made him did that, he called her. “Qian…”

“What?!” She turned around, obviously bad mood.

“Aaaah… No.. Nothing..” Changmin awkwardly scratched his neck.

“Why you call me then? Stupid!”

“…” He never heard her tones like that before. As stupid as it was, he was worried.

“Qian… What happened?”

“Nothing… Nothing to do with you.” She said and walked away, “I go to class.”

“Hei, hei… Qian…” Changmin called her, “Qian..”

“STOP IT!!!” She turned around, but now for the first time Changmin saw her with that expression. Like she was in pain, and hold her tears. “Don’t call me with that name again. Please…” She said before walked away.

***

That night Changmin sat at his study table, but his mind unfocused. Victoria’s expression, and her sad tones echoes in his mind.

‘Don’t call me with that name again.’

When his phone rang, he automatically pick it up without check the caller.

“It’s me.” Girl’s voice heard, and Changmin was stunned for a moment before he recognized that voice.

“Qian??!” To say he was surprised was an understatement. “What happened?”

“Look at your window.”

“Eh?!” When Changmin looked down from his window, he saw Victoria in front of his house gate, with small suitcase in hands. And phone in her other hand.

“I am eloping,” She said.

“Whaaat??! With who???” Changmin felt lightheaded. When she just smiled and lift her hand, then pointing at him, he felt like he about to get a heartattack.

“WHAAAAT??!”

“Sssst…” She smiled softly. Sad, half hearted smile which different from her usual cheerful appearance. “Sorry.. But you are the only one who comply to my wish…” She said.

“I give you ten minutes.” She told him, “Meet me at the park.”

Changmin swear, she must be bipolar or something. No way normal people can change that fast.

***

He didn’t know why, but as if some invincible force made him, he packed his clothes, put his jacket on, and sneak out from his house to meet her.

On the way to the park where Victoria waiting for him, he thought that maybe he wasn’t unable to falling in love again. He just still in love with that girl. Even though she was cruel, but his heart helplessly still love her.

***

“Let’s go.” She said when he arrived at the park.

“Where?”

“To the ‘west’.”

“West?”

“Hmmm. Good place to eloping, isn’t it?” She said and pull him to train station.

Changmin sighed, ‘Victoria I was once loved. Victoria I still love.’

 

Lame, I know... And I initially want to write this as KyuMin, but I thought the characters were not suitable. I don’t think posted love letter, eloping, and the blackmailing thing won’t works with gay couple. So, I made it ChangToria. It turned out still kind of out of character, but since ChangToria is the only hetero couple I fond of (-_-“), I have no choice…