Street Lamp

Street Lamp

You’re like a bright star which always shine, making people around you in comfort state because that’s what you intended to do.

“Teacher, what does it mean by sleepy?” He asked one day in the Physic II class. The teacher glanced at him with blank look before answered him quietly.

“When you fell asleep due to boredom of certain subject. Mr. Xi, for your information, we’re studying Momentum right now. I don’t think it was necessary regarding our subject.” He sighed and getting ready to continue his lesson.

He pouted while rubbing his back of head. “But the other students were almost dozing off so I thought I could get your attention without having them in trouble.” He explained and the other students who almost fell asleep quickly regained their conscious. The paper is scattering and sound of shuffling pages could be heard behind the silence background.

The teacher gritted his teeth as a pumped fist formed beside him. He shot a glare towards those respective students. “Who was it?!” He exclaimed; getting ready to hit them with unfortunately thick Physic textbook.

Okay, maybe not in that comfort state. What I refer a bright star here, well… Forget about it. He’s not comfortable at all. Only knew how to cause trouble to other people.

Continue.

 


 

Have you seen your eyes sparkling when you talked about your favourite things? Twice, no – dozens of times have I seen it. For me, I would rather bottled up my feelings but as always, you’re see right through me.

“You hit another senior again? Who is it this time?” I yawned. Both of us were currently residing ourselves at library where most people intend to avoid it for some unspecific reason. I scribbled something at the edge of my book as I checked the textbook for simple note.

He chuckled softly. He leaned his back backwards before he replied. “Lee Joon, senior. He was tormenting the first year students and stole some money from them. I have to kick him in the before he did it again. God, you have to see his face! It was so funny!”

“You have got to stop from kicking other people. You might got into trouble.” I said and once again, I yawned. Why does my eyes look so sleepy that I couldn’t opened an inch? Is it because of the staying up all night yesterday?

He staring at me right into the eyes. “You don’t have enough sleep, Seohyun. You even had a baggy eyes. Did you studying until late night again?” He asked in soft voice.

I shook my head. “I didn’t. In fact, History was never my favourite subject. That was probably I was yawning today. Don’t you worry about it!” I shrugged it off with casual voice. I knew I was lied but I was hoping he would buy it.

Then, I swear I saw his side lips tugged with a smirk and the next thing I know was my head was resting on his lap. This position is weird and what people saw us like this?! I persistent to wake up but his strong hand on my head causing me to stumble once again.

I cursed silently; imagining his small head in my hand before I crushed it like watermelon.

“Go to sleep. There was no class after this since our homeroom teacher is absent. Take time as much as you want. I’ll be here until you woke up.”

“But – “

“No but. Now, go to sleep before I force you so.”

I was taken aback with his warning. I nod before he done something which makes me regret later. Less than second later, all I knew was I already in deep sleep.

 


 

I know it was a friendly gesture but it does still leave a tingling feeling in my heart every time you wrapped your fingers around mine. You’re keep going and going about daily life about other friends and least subject that you scored in last exam.

While my mind is paying close attention on how warmth your hand embrace my cold hand and I try my best not to faint in the middle of road.

The school has ended and I’m ready to head home when someone called out my name. It was really loud that I thought it could demolished this school building. I don’t have to stop or turn around since I know it was his voice. People around me is starting to whisper among them and looked at me with strange look due to his so-loud voice.

Damn him!

“I said wait for me! Why did you left me behind? Since when you put a muscle on that leg of yours?” He panted after chasing me from the school until we’ve reached neighbourhood residents. I turned my back and facing him with raged look.

“You don’t have to yell my name. I’m not that deaf.” I said in matter-of-face tone.

“Your face is pale. Like a zombie.” He commented; ignoring my sarcasm remark. I shrugged.

“Zombie with a meticulous strength to beat you in exam.”

He laughed as he grasped my hand in a swift; caught me off guard. “Are you still mad at me about English?” He laughed; this time really loud. “Seohyun, you’re funny! Hey, have you heard about the ghost story at male toilet? It seems like someone was having suicide at the end of cubicle because he got dumped by a girl.” He told, on and on.

That’s the best trait about him. He never bragged himself about his extra intelligence and quickly changed topic. He is sure trying to ease my heart but glancing at our entwined fingers, I couldn’t said no more. He is the reason my heart beating so wildly right now.

 


 

I’m still surprised about how you managed to score that paper damn well. I stayed up all night and memorized every main points but doesn’t exceed the marks you’ve got. However, you managed to stay humble and said it was purely luck.

Idiot, have you ever scanned your brain for a second? I wonder how does it function sometimes because comparing your crazy attitude and smart mind is way too far different.

 

“Seohyun-ah! Where have you been this day? I searched all over the place but no one want to tell me your secret hiding but I did find you!” He said with a bright smile on his face.

I let out a small sigh as I continue my studying at the quiet library. There was no presence of human at this place and the librarian was very happy that I’m the only one who is residing herself in this secluded library. No extra work to do and she could continue studying for her final exam since she’s in her third year.

“What do you want? I was working my off to study here and you’re free to walk whenever you prefer, huh? Leave me alone.” I purposely raised my voice at the end of sentences but he seems to ignore that.

He slumped himself on the seat next to me shamelessly. He took a quick glance at the exercise book I was writing on and lets out a small chuckles. “You’ve got the answer wrong.”

My eyebrows creased together. “What do you mean? I’ve write the correct formula. The answer at the back is also correct.”

“You’re using the wrong formula, Seohyun although the answer is correct. Here, let me show you.” He leaned in and grabbed the mechanical pencil over my grasp before jotting the formula and how to apply it right.

As I breathe in, I could smell the sweet scent from him and it’s very similar to orange. Did he eat orange before he came here? And it’s not just one or two but more than three I think. I’m pretty sure of it. When it comes to orange or banana, this man would rather leave everything behind just to consume these fruits.

Ah, why did I fall in love with someone like you at the first place? Is it because you accept me just the way I am or is it because you bring out the best in me?

Or either of the options above?

Lately, my heart seems to beat in usual pace unlike those days when I realized I’m in love with him that I forgot to greet him as usual or bring extra lunchbox for him. I thought this feeling will fade away like wind but somehow, it stayed like that; firmly.

An evidence?

My heart is tugged with jealousy whenever I saw him talking to any girls or studying with his group of friends; mainly consist of female. Then again, who am I to stop him from befriend with anyone? Isn’t it my happiness to let the person I love happy too?

Or am I just an idiot to let the situation conquered my feeling.

The whack on the head still lingering ‘till now which pulled me back into reality. I locked my eyes with him and gritted my teeth with frustration.

“Why the hell are you hitting me on the head? Are you out of your mind?”

“I was explaining to you about the working solution and yet, you lost in your thoughts. Then, who is out of mind now?” He glared at me and I don’t feel intimidated at all. He is not scary.

I pout. “How is carefree person like you could obtained high results without studying much unlike me who is trying hard to maintain my position? Did you eat anything before exam, huh?”

Another whack.

“Idiot! That what we called ‘luck’. I did study, okay? But I don’t push myself too hard unlike you who is trying her best to beat me.” He snickered like he was looking down at me. “Hey, my friends and I wanted to head to the park since today is one of my friend’s birthday. Want to join?”

I blink my eyes as the sneaky smile across my face. “Did one of your friend asked you to ask me? I couldn’t believe that I’m popular among your friends. No wonder his face was red when I greeted him the other day. What’s his name again? Wongeun?” I .

He grumbled. “Hn. He is an immature kid but is kind; too kind for you though.” He lets the sentences hanging on the air before continue. ”For your information, your popularity couldn’t ever surpass mine. I still have a large fan base. So, the answer is yes?” He said as he type in something on his phone.

Did he ever felt jealous when one of his friends like me? Wait, did he ever felt the same way as I do? That’s the correct sentences, Seohyun. Don’t put your hope too high.

“What time is it? I don’t want to be late since my younger brother is alone tonight.” I circled the key point with yellow highlight. Damn, history.

“Where are your parents? Overtime again?”

I simply nodded. Both of my parents were workaholic but I don’t see any problem in that as long as they still have time to spend with us. But I think, my dad cramped his leg once he run upstairs but I guess, it’s already healed for him to work again.

“Want me to stay over?”

I shook my head. “The neighbourhood is going to gossip about me again though my parents won’t mind about you.”

There was one time he stayed over to accompany my younger brother while I was busy doing project at my friend’s house. When I reached home, he’s already slept next to him at the living room with television still on. I let them sleep more without awake him but I didn’t know that there was a group of busybody were talking behind my back; saying I had my boyfriend stayed over when my parents aren’t home.

A bunch of idiots.

“You should give them a piece of mind, Seohyun. I don’t understand how you can cope with that kind of situation. If I were you, I already terrorized their home so they know they didn’t have any right to judge me.”

I scoffed at his ridiculous plan. “And being arrested by a cop? Not a chance. My life would be ruined and neither university would accepted me. Ah, is there any better way to memorize these freaking years? The same years but completely different topics.” I murmured to myself.

“Make a song about it.” He joked but clearly was taken aback when I looked at him with cold face. “I don’t know myself. Sorry.”

Idiot. How did he memorized these years is still questionable.

 


 

I loosened the tie around my neck as the school already ended and I don’t bother with rule once it ended. I glanced at the empty table in front of me.

“Did he forgot about me or he was going somewhere without telling me?” I murmured to myself and didn’t know someone has been standing there listening to my thoughtless speech.

“He did and he asked me to accompany you while he’s helping someone to carry stuff.” A sudden voice startled me and immediately, my eyes met with cold brown eyes which does not have any emotion in it.

Apparently, he is one of my classmates. His name is…

I scrunched my eyebrow together. “What was your name again?” I asked in indifferent voice.

He looked at me with surprised look and was about to hit me on the head, I assumed but refrained himself from doing so. I saw his crumpled fist on his side.

“You should remember your classmate name, Seohyun. My name is Minho. M-I-N-H-O. Keep that name carved in your mind once in a while. Let’s go.” He gestured me to follow him.

“Where to?”

A whack on my head but not that hurt unlike his. I will pay, idiot. One day.

“To the park. I didn’t know you are this senseless, Seohyun. He already invited you to join Wongeun’s birthday right? Come on, everybody is already there except us. That furious man will kill me if he found us still here, taking our time.”

“Hm. Minho, can I asked you one question?” I’m very curious about this.

“What?”

“Am I that cold?”

His steps stopped. His face slowly facing me. “Are you pretending to not knowing anything, Seohyun?”

I pout. “I know that already, okay. It’s just I didn’t even know I am that cold. He didn’t said anything to me but I could see from how people view me.”

“He is an absent-minded already and prefer to goof around to tell you that. You should figure out that by yourself.”

I tightened my bag handle. “Geez, thanks Minho for pointing that.” I caught a group of girl glancing at our way. “Hey, you has fans outside school.” I said while gesturing him to look behind my back where a group of high school female students keep glancing at Minho’s way.

 


 

“Oh, them? I noticed ever since I won the tournament.” He said in smug look and I swear I want to puke.

We’ve already passed the town and on our way to the park. However, my phone didn’t stop vibrating ever since I walked out from school. With a grunt, I swiped the screen to see the sender and I saw 14 messages from him. I let out a desperate sigh.

“What’s with the sigh?”

I said nothing and immediately showed him the screen. He snorted. “I thought he already know that I’m with you. Why is this non-stop messages? It’s not like I’ve been kidnapped or anything.”

“You really didn’t know anything, didn’t you?”

“I did not know what? Am I missing something?” I looked at him with blank look.

I really didn’t expected this. “I like you. So he was afraid that he’s going to lose you to me.” He directly told me on the face but it didn’t convinced me at all. I wonder why.

“Liar.” I scoffed.

“Why would you called me that?”

I shrugged my shoulder. “Just.”

“That’s your problem. You thought that you knew but you didn’t. Well, tell me do you like me or him?”

I smiled. “That’s tough, Minho.” Without waiting any moment to pass, I admit my feeling towards him. “I choose him. I mean, it’s cliché right to fall in love with your best friend?”

He nods as he shoved his hand in the front pocket. “Yeah. It’s also a bit cliché when someone else also like his best friend and three of them got involved in the love triangle.” He commented wryly.

I was speechless and too stunned to reply anything. I debated myself not to take his words seriously but my mind won’t follow the order.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?” He said with nonchalant voice and staring at me like I was the one who is in fault. He was already a few steps ahead of me.

I bit my lower lip and decided to drop off the subject. It mean nothing. “Yeah.” And both of us stayed silence throughout all the way.

Somehow, I felt uneasy in my heart when he suddenly said that. What does he mean by that - love triangle? Three of them?

 


 

From a far way, his friends already set up a table where I can see variety of food on the table. A few of plastic chairs are placed systematically next to the table. Great, am I the only girl here or is there anyone else I’ve missed? Nah, I saw Nana and Min. I waved at their direction.

“Ah, we’ve arrived!” I said in relieved but it all washed away when I noticed a deathly glare from him. I gulped. “Wait, is he going to kill me or you, Minho because I’m sure he’s going to sprint over here in any minute now.” I whispered at him.

“You’re kidding? I’m good at fight. What about you?”

“If only I weren’t here for a moment.”

Then, he makes his way towards us and his angry face didn’t changed at all as he approached us. He was staring at Minho for a few seconds before shifting his gaze towards me. He and his annoying glare. I accepted his challenge and also staring at him.

I’m not going to lose.

“Luhan, we’re going to start so can you stop glaring at Seohyun? She’s being nice to come over here instead of studying. You’re going to ruined the atmosphere with that attitude of yours.” Jinwoon, a blond haired man defended me. He is also one of my classmates and a president of class.

I felt grateful. “Thank you, Jinwoon. I’ll make sure to pass you additional notes for Mathematic II later.” I said and leaving him dumbfounded. But not a second later, he is trailing me like a lost puppy. Is he asking for death wish?

The party is going well and it was Wongeun’s birthday, for your information. He was smiling sheepishly as he rubbed at the back of his head when I gave him a small gift from me. I totally forgot to buy his present. In our way to the park, I hurriedly bought anything that came in mind and asked the worker to wrapped the gift nicely.

“Happy birthday.” I wish him.

“Thanks. It’s a great pleasure for me that  you came.”

I laughed softly. “It’s not a problem at all.”

 


 

“Stop pestering me, Luhan. What are you doing?” I hissed.

He keeps following me whenever I go. I was about to sit next to Minho since it’s vacant but he beats me to it and forced me to sit beside him. After I’m done eating, my mouth was watering, seeing a cube red watermelon in the bowl and going to have for myself when Minho gave it to me. He said that he’s going to eat them but full already. I accepted it with a smile. Well, before it changed into a frown when Luhan took it from me and finished the whole bowl.

I constantly told myself to be relax and enjoyed the time being. Ignored him is another thing. Can’t I have a peaceful and quiet atmosphere? He is going too far today.

Just now, he tugged my shirt with a puppy look on his face but seriously, isn’t that already old fashioned?

“Stop pestering me, Luhan. What are you doing?” I hissed.

“Are you – by any chance, like Minho?” He blurts it out loudly and was loud enough to make other people to hear our conversation. All of them stopped their action and staring at us with questionable look.

My face turned red due to embarrassment. “What kind of question is that? Luhan, I think you drunk. Go home!” I raised my voice.

“But we didn’t served any alcohol drink here.” Wongeun replied and my cold stare must scared him away when he quietly hiding behind Min.

“I don’t wanna! Not until you told me that whether you like Minho or not!” He is stomping his foot like 6 year old boy.

I let out a desperate sigh. As I shift my gaze on Minho, he coolly throw me a look ‘tell him the answer he wants to hear’. I wish I could strangle him along with Luhan right now. It didn’t help me at all.

“Yeah, I like him. So what’s wrong with that?” I answered. I admit I like him because he is great at sport unlike me who is more introvert. I preferred to watch other people play. But I like you more. No denying about that.

“Really?” He looked down; feeling gloomy. What’s wrong with him really? Just then he was hyper and now, he felt sad over something. Did he harbour any feeling toward me too?

My cheek is flushed with red. “We – well, I like you too. I like Jinwoon. Practically, I like everyone in general because all of them have their own traits I admire.”

Now, his face is almost lightened up and is smiling brightly at me. There, I saw his smile once again. I couldn’t help but smile too. I looked at Minho for his reaction but he look away. I wonder why.

 


 

I glanced at my wristwatch and it’s almost 8.30. I totally forgot my younger brother at home. I hurriedly gathered all my stuff and informed them that I have to head home early. They were planning to heading karaoke later.

“Maybe later.” I saw Minho through my side glance who is also getting up but Luhan immediately grabbed my hand.

“I’ll also heading home. See you guys tomorrow!” He said with playful grin on his face.

“I can get home by myself, Luhan. I’m a big girl now.”

He shook his head like 6 years old kid who doesn’t want to eat vegetable. “I still want to send you home. Let’s go! I have a lot~ of stuff to talk.” He said in a sing-song voice.

After making sure we’re already far from them, Luhan started the conversation with serious voice. I did expected that coming from him.

“What took it so long to get here? What did you do before you get here? You didn’t even replied to any my messages!”

I my lower lips. “You’re asking too much! I was buying last minute gift for Wongeun. I thought you asked Minho to accompany me so what’s with the worrisome face, huh?”

It was his turn to felt confuse. “I did not asked him to do such thing! I was about to head back after helping the others to set up the place when Jinwoon told me that Minho is accompanying you. Who doesn’t mad at that?!”

I was speechless. Minho lied to me? When I remember back about the conversation we had before, my face grew redder than ever. I told him that I like Luhan. He told me that he likes me. Now, I understand the love triangle all about, why he look away when I said that I like everyone in general.

What have you done, Seohyun?

Wait, something wrong here! “Why are you feeling so mad about it? Did both of you have terrible past before? He was kind enough to walk me through here. I don’t find any wrong about it.”

I just realized that both of us were standing near to the lamp street and the path is getting dark. Thanks to the light, I don’t feel scared at all but my feet is sore. I want to sit on the bench. I took his hand and pulled to make him sit next to me.

“Luhan, I’m going to be straightforward, okay? Do you like me, by any chance? That’s the reason you are jealous over Minho?” I said directly. Geez, I hate push pull game.

He puffed his cheek and it’s almost similar to the shape of ball. “I thought you already knew about it!” He snapped.

My eyes is widen as I try to absorb his words. Wait, does that mean he likes me too? Why did find this situation strange? It seems like I was the boy and he was the girl. Both of us acted a different role. Funny.

“How do I know if you didn’t tell me!” I snapped back.

“Well, what do you think the reasons I hold your fingers every time we’re heading back home together? We’ve shared a lot of things together and we’re also experienced a date before!”

W – what? A date?

“What date? I didn’t know anything about it! Don’t assumed that I’m Albert Einsten to know everything.”

He pout. “The library?”

I mentally slapped myself. That’s a date? Studying my off to beat him in exam and he called that a date? He should dropped me a visible hint to notice that kind of gesture.

“No one called that a date when someone was working her hard off to beat a genius in disguise. You even snoring or reading comic or teasing me to get my attention. No wonder I felt clueless until now.”

“It’s not my fault I’m genius. So, are we in relationship now? Since you already know my feeling.” He looked at me with loving stare and I couldn’t help but melted over it but I had to snap myself out of it.

“Okay, you like me and I like you. But hell no, we’re not in relationship! Not until I secured first place at the end of this semester. Then, I will give a thought about us. Deal?”

“That’s going to take a while, Seohyun.” He whimpered.

I bit my lower lip. I get up from my seat and wipe off dust on my skirt. “I don’t care as long as I beat you! Come on, let’s head home. My brother is starving at home right now because of your ridiculous behaviour! I really don’t understand you sometimes.” I extend my hand and he accepted it with happy face.

“That’s my specialty that you’re only know.” He grinned.

“Nah. Everyone know that already. Just promise me something. Don’t harm Minho, okay? You can be stubborn from time to time and I bet you’ll pick fight on him.”

He looked surprised. “How do you know that? I didn’t know my girlfriend is genius!” He praised me but I don’t know whether it’s a praise or an insult.

Boyfriend, huh? I like that word. Thanks to whoever invented the word.

 


 

Month later…

I could feel that my heart is pierced with a very sharp arrow. I don’t know what to do anymore when I saw the name who was placed first while I placed second. I poured all my heart for this exam but the result.

Oh, the stupid wrecking unbelievable dishonest result! My mood is ruined!

A small squeeze on my shoulder can be felt and I know whose hand is that. I do not have to think twice.

I swiftly turned around and facing him face-to-face. “You – you!” I point my finger towards him with fury.

Luhan grinned like he didn’t commit any mistake. Well, he did! For the nth time, he placed first again even after I struggle a lot this time despite his continuous nagging when we’re studying at the library. It’s still not a date.

“Have you consider your decision now, Seohyun?” He asked with puppy look.

I clenched my teeth as hard as I can. “NO! Oh, god! I hate you, you know that!” I stormed off and pretend to not hear his voice who is calling me repeatedly.

 


 

I found myself; sitting on the bench while the breezy slapped myself continuously. I lean my back and groaned loudly. I don’t care what people were going to say. This is not my day!

“He beat you again?” That same voice who greeted me before. I don’t have to tilt my head and letting him took an empty seat next to me.

“He did.” I sighed.

“He told everyone that you hate him. He felt depressed about it. You don’t want to console him, Seohyun? After all, he is your boyfriend now.” His words is like a slap to my face.

I really wanted to punch him on the face right now. “Minho, if you are here to insult me, then you’re succeed in doing so. Now, leave me alone so I can grieve all by myself.”

“Nah. Let me accompany you since you’re all alone. At least, your result is better than mine.”

“Yeah, Minho; said a student who took a third place after me. Why did you lie to me the other day? The one when you said that it was Luhan who asked you to accompany me.”

He snickered. “I just want to see his reaction and I enjoy watching him as he following you like a lost puppy. He even ate the watermelon I offered to you. I could see that he is a possessive one.”

“But reliable. Yeah, he is one of a kind.” I could felt his stare all over my face but I pretend that it didn’t fazed me.

“However, I meant what I said before.” He continued. “And I’m not regretting it. At all.”

I smirk. “I can’t said ‘no’ to that, right? After all, you have a right to like anyone.”

He was about to reply when his gaze caught someone behind my back. He smirked. “Ah, your shining knight is here. I thought I could spend a lot of time with you. Too bad.” He pointed at Luhan who is walking towards us with disturbing look. He stopped in front of us and pulled my hand which makes me to stand up.

“Luhan!” I whimper.

“She is mine! Stop coming towards her or I’ll make your left eye blue.” He warned Minho but he only shrugged the warning with sneaky laugh.

“Wow, I’m scared. We’re just talking, Luhan.” He defended himself.

“Talking or not, stay away from Seohyun.”

“I thought you said that she hates you.”

When Minho said that, his face fell and looked at me with teary eyes. His lips were trembling and so does his hand which is still holding my finger. “Yo – you hate me, Seohyun?”

I shot Minho a death glare and he raised his hand as defeat sign. That sneaky smile never left his face as he passed by me.

“Good luck with that.” He wished and I nod half-heartedly.

After making sure she is alone with him, she took his hand and makes him sit next to her. Funny, the situation is the same on the day they were celebrating Wongeun’s birthday.

“I do not hate you, Luhan. So, stop crying like a cry baby.” I murmured against his hair. My hand is rubbing his back softly to ensure him that I meant it. Why do I fall for such a person?

“You said it just now.”

“That’s because you beat me again in exam. I don’t hate you for real. Okay, I give my answer. Despite having a second place, I would like us to be in relationship. We’re official now. Happy?”

He immediately looked at me with twinkling eyes. How I love those eyes when it was all bright and sparkling. The very first reason I fell in love with you.

“Extremely happy. Yeah, we’re boyfriend and girlfriend now! You don’t know how long has I been waiting for this to be happen. It’s like a dream come true!”

My stare softened. “I’m glad. Thank you for waiting.”

Our face is getting closer and closer that I could only felt his breath tickling my face. Are we going to have our first kiss now? My heartbeat is beating so fast right now. Well?

His lips closed the gap between my lips and we’re stayed like that for a moment before both of us backed away to breathe. My face is reddened than ever and he couldn’t breathe normally as he was swimming in the pool.

At the end, both of us ended laughing despite the warning bell has ringing. When I let my guard down, he stole another peck on my lips and giggle over it. He reached out his hand and I took them with earnest smile on my face.

“Let’s go back to class. The teacher must be furious over us right now.” He chuckled and tighten his grasp.

“And this is my first time I ditched class because of you.” I confessed.

“I know.”