Scar of My Heart

Midnight Daydreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

I sat on the couch and stared at my flat screen TV. It was a Friday night and Wooyoung should be getting off of work soon. These nights weren't any different in my apartment. I would wait, he would visit, we would eat dinner, and somewhere in all that, we'd end up in my bed waking up in the afternoon the next day. I looked at the time, oh . I needed to change the channel before— too late. Music core played on my screen and I saw her. I peeled my eyes away from the TV when I heard a knock on my front door. Thank you, Wooyoung.

 I ran for the door and opened it as fast as I could. I was greeted by his warm smile and I wasted no time. I crashed my lips onto his and threw my arms around his neck as he picked me up in one swift motion. He closed the door with his feet and took off his shoes. I was left disappointed when he pulled away to breathe. Who needs air? It's so overrated. I sulked and he noticed. He smiled and gave me quick but loving kiss.

"Why are you in such a hurry, babe?" He put me down on the couch and sat down next to me.

I didn't like the vast amount space between me and him. I got up, threw my arms around his neck once again and sat on his lap. I kissed him again and I felt his hands travel up my waist, up to my arms and back down. He held my waist and pulled away.

"What about dinner?" he breathed heavily and gave me another smile.

"You can be my dinner." I leaned in and kept my forehead on his.

"But what about me? I'm starving." He pouted.

"After." I whispered against his lips.

He picked me up and we headed to my room down the hall. I always get what I want. He kissed me again and I smirked in between. He hit the bed and we both fell. I lay there ready to be consumed in pleasure. He straddled me on all fours while we ate each other. His right hand traveled down to my waist until he reached the hem of my shirt. I lifted my arms above my head as he pulled it off. I was fiddling with his shirt when he suddenly stopped. I followed his line of vision and it lead to the scar on my heart. I looked back at him. All of the heat between us disappeared like it was never there. He had a concerned expression but I couldn't understand why it affected him now. This wasn't the first time he saw me .

"What's wrong Woo?" he sat up and I followed.

"I didn't want to be pushy, so I never said anything. I waited for you to tell me." He looked guilty but why?

"Are you talking about the scar on my heart?" I pointed my finger towards my heart. I wanted to make sure we were on the same topic.

He didn't say anything but nodded cutely. Aigoo, so much for early tonight. Whatever, the feeling was lost anyways. I grabbed my shirt and put it back on. I pulled the covers up and sat, leaning back on the pillows. I patted the spot next to me and he quickly went next to me.

"Are you sure you're willing to tell me?"  He looked at me with concern and put his arm around my shoulder.

"Just… promise me you won't get mad…" I doubted that he'd understand. What kind of boyfriend would listen to what I'm about to say without feeling uncomfortable?

"I can't promise you anything but, I'll do my best." He held my hand tight and smiled at me.

"Well, I'll tell you about a little something before I get into this." I wasn't sure how to start this conversation. Where would I start? So much has happened. "You know SNSD right?" I spoke the first thing that came to mind.

"Of course I do. They're the hottest girls in Korea." He laughed at my silly question.

"Promise you won't tell anyone this story?" I didn't want anyone to know. No one should know. I was already breaking my promise.

"That, I can promise."

"Um, I and Jessica had a thing." I muttered loud enough to hear.

He looked at me confused but I just kept staring at him with the most sincere expression I had. He was definitely taken by surprise from the look he had in his eyes. Never in my life did I think I would be telling this story. He didn't say anything but took both my hands, intending that I could continue.

"Long story short, we fell in love, had a thing but I left her because I was still attending college in England and she had her career." I sighed. "Are… are you sure you're okay with this?" I looked back up at him.

"I- I just didn't think you were one to like girls. Looks like I got double the competition huh?" he laughed to lift the mood up a bit. It worked because I laugh a little as well. "Continue. I want to hear the rest."

I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the story I had to tell. "A year after I ran into Jessica, I finished college and came back to Korea. I went to Seoul to look for a job to support my family and to start a new life. That's when it all happened."

 

Man, I need to get used to this weather again. I shivered as I made my way through the crowd. I looked at the address on the piece of paper I had in my hand, I should remember where everything is. It hasn't been that long.  I saw the time on my watch and I hurried. I couldn't be late for another interview. I picked up my pace until I saw a familiar person who was around my height with blond hair. I got closer to the person under the hood, shades, big scarf, and heavy parka. A smile broke out on my face when I realized who it was, Hyoyeon.

 Before I could realize what was happening, I saw a scrawny man taking a gun out from his backpack aiming for Hyoyeon. Why the would someone want to kill her?! 4 years away from this city and I witness this? The ?! My feet moved on its own and before I knew it, I covered her with my own body and took the bullet for her. I felt an overwhelming and excruciating pain spreading from the back of my left shoulder blade. Adrenaline took over me. I turned around and ran to stop him from shooting again but before I could reach him, he shot once more.

Everything around me slowed down. I felt myself fall to my knees as I lifted my right arm to my heart. Blood soaked my clothes and stained my hand. I heard the people around me rushing and running away from terror except for a man brave enough as me. He tackled the bony guy and beat the out of him. I used the last bit of strength I could muster up and turned my head to make sure Hyoyeon was okay. She was left agape at what just happened. I managed to let a small grin out and closed my eyes, ready to face death. I lost all strength and fell but instead of meeting the freezing hard ground, I was held by warm arms.

"Taeyeon! Taeyeon!" I heard her call after me but it was already too late. I felt tears fall on my face and heard the ambulance before I lost consciousness. I'm sorry, Jessica.

I heard machines beeping and buzzing. Is this what the afterlife sounds like? Am I on the crossroad between heaven and hell, if there is one? Are they deciding where to throw me in? I felt restricted, but there was beating in my chest. Why is my heart beating? I thought I died? Wasn't my life ended when I got shot? I was able to move my eyeballs under my eyelids. I guess I'm not dead. It hit me. Wait, hold up, why the was I thinking about Jessica when I was on the brink of death? I thought I already got over her. There weren't any lingering feelings when I left her until I came back. Right.... I mentally slapped myself in the face. I came back to the world where she's on the cover of every magazine, every billboard, and every commercial.

I slowly opened my eyes only to be engulfed by the spacious white walled hospital room. My heart was beating faster and it started to hurt .I shut my eyes. I felt my chest heave and restrict. Why is it beating so fast? I opened my eyes again and tears ran down my cheeks. I heard the machine beep in an alarming pace. A nurse ran in with the doctor. I guess that indicated I needed medical attention.

"What happened? Is everything okay?!" the doctor tried to sound as composed as possible.

"Don't know… just started… hurting." I tried to talk.

"Sorry about this." The doctor apologized and lifted up my shirt. Luckily it was a woman.

I turned my head to the right in embarrassment and I saw my room window transparent to the hallway. The blinds were pulled all the way up so the nurses could keep an eye on me. Fortunately, the doctor stood in a position that my body wasn't exposed to the rest of the hospital. Not that I had anything to hide anyways. That was when I saw Hyoyeon walk towards the door with someone beside her. It didn't take long before I realized who it was, Jessica. She took a quick glance through the window and our eyes met. It's been awhile hasn't it, Sica? The world stopped for a moment until I was brought back to reality. I felt my heart immediately beat faster which cause a searing pain throughout my body.

"Uaaahhhhh!" I closed my eyes as I screamed in pain.

I gripped the sheets and continued groaning in agony. The doctor quickly gave commands to the nurse but I couldn't hear anything other than the two pairs of feet making their way through the door. I felt something abruptly constrict within and tasted blood coming up my throat. I coughed unable to hold it down. It went all over the bed. I dared to open my eyes again only to see my shirt off and a needle filled with god knows what being shoved into my chest and left arm.

I turned my head to the left hoping I wouldn't see that beautiful face again but to my dismay, she was standing there, gripping Hyoyeon's arm in shock. She stared at me in utter silence. I looked at Hyoyeon who had guilt plastered all over her face. I felt myself fade away into darkness again but I fought it away long enough to mutter something.

"I don't regret… what I did… Hyo." I choked the words out as blood trickled down my mouth.

It only took that measly amount of words for her to break out into tears. She kept looking at me though. I smiled back at her and welcomed the darkness once more.

I must be one lucky son of a because I was blessed with life again. Either that or the world had something in store for me and didn't allow me to die. I felt someone on my left and prayed to god it wasn't who I thought it could be. I opened my eyes and smiled. Hyoyeon was sleeping with her arms as a pillow. I looked out the window and through the blinds I saw the sun setting behind the mountains. How long have I been here? I had no sense of time. I looked back down and decided to wake her up. I'm sure she'd like to know that I'm conscious.

I lifted my left arm a bit but it quickly fell right back down. No strength, I guess. Ah, that’s right! My left shoulder got shot too. I lifted my right arm. It was weak, but it didn't hurt to move it. I brought it across and poked her head. She shifted a little but she didn't wake up. That's weird. She usually wakes up easily if I remembered correctly. I poked her a little harder this time and her eyes peeled open. She looked up and I greeted her with a warm and toothy smile.

 "Good afternoon." She rubbed her eyes.

"Very funny, Choding." I chuckled a bit. "How have you been?"

"Better than you, as you can see." She smiled as well. I knew she wasn't one for serious conversations.

"I wonder why?" I asked in sarcasm.

"No one told you to save my life." She defended.

I laughed at her. This girl. Even though I've only really spent time with her when I was with Jessica, it was enough for me to discover who she was. Those short and hectic 3 weeks, I had to admit, were the best weeks of my life. I was surrounded with people who loved to laugh just as much as I did and I also came to love someone I never thought I would have ever loved. But that was the past now.  I laughed again at how pitiful my life was until I started coughing.

"Woah woah. Easy there. I should really tone down my hilarious personality if I want you to live." She stood up and slowly rubbed my back.

"As if there was a hilarious personality to begin with." I teased back.

"I'll let that one go since you look like you're about to die." She smiled back and sat down.

"How have you been with Sica?" I knew I shouldn't bring up the subject, but I couldn’t help myself. I was dying to know, literally.

"What do you think?"  She looked at me with eyes like she already knew that I knew.

"Still the best friends that love each other way more than that?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

"Best friends yes, but the last part no." she playfully pouted.

"I'm sorry." I innocently pouted back.

"Not your fault. I can't blame her for still loving you." She shrugged.

"Awhh. Is someone falling in love with me?" I wiggled my eyebrows once more.

"Maybe?" she reciprocated back and adding some shoulders to it.

We both cracked up and laughed with our hands over our mouths until we heard my door open. Our heads turned to the person who walked in. Of all people, it had to be her. Hyoyeon and I looked at each other and held in our laughs afraid that she'd get jealous of how close we were.

"Hey Sica!" Hyoyeon happily greeted. "Guess who's awake?"

"Hi." I waved at her like we're nothing but good friends, like our past was nonexistent.

"Hey guys." She smiled pulled a chair and sat on my right side.

"How long have I been in here?" I asked no one in particular. I wasn't sure who to look at in my position so I just checked my cuticles.

"Um, about 2 weeks." Hyoyeon tapped her chin.

"THE ?!" My eyes grew wide. "What have I been doing?! Hibernating?!"

"Pretty much, I only checked on you 3 times. Luckily, I checked at the right times so I didn't stay here uselessly." She smiled victoriously.

"Yah! Some friend you are!" I punched her shoulder hard.

"How could you punch that hard in the condition you're in!?" she rubbed her shoulder. "If it makes you feel better, that girl you totally forgot was here visited you every day!" she nodded her head to the other side of me.

I looked over and saw her sit there in an awkward position. I could tell she was a little annoyed by me and Hyoyeon's interactions but it's been a year. Why would she still feel that way? And to add, it was only 3 weeks, it wasn't like we were together for years. Nothing was awkward for me, nothing should be.

"You came here every day?" I asked her with tilted eyebrows.

"Yeah… I was worried…" she mumbled the last part in hopes I didn't hear but I did.

"Thanks." I smiled at her.

The doctor walked in just in time. "It's nice to see you're finally awake." She smiled and stood at the end of my bed.

"Yeah." I scratched the back of my neck. "When can I get out of here?"

"Where do you live?" She asked. Why'd she ask me? Doesn't it say my address on there?

Whatever, I'll just answer. "Jeonju."

 "Mmm. Too far for your heart to handle." She chuckled.

I think she was implying something more than just my physical health. First Hyoyeon, now the doctor? I think I've had enough teasing today. How would she even know about my relationship with her anyways? I don’t even like her anymore, unless she was thinking about me and Hyoyeon. Ughhh. Shivers just thinking about it.

"She can stay with us then." Jessica suggested.

The doctor just smiled. "That works."

"What? My family though…" I tried to get out of it.

"You live alone. They won't know if you don’t say anything." The doctor challenged. If you knew why'd you ask me? What a troll.

"Okay then it's settled! You can live with us!" Jessica said in enjoyment.

"Is there even enough room for me?" I asked her.

"Yup. Maknae moved out a week ago to live with her family again and Hyoyeon's my roommate again." She gave a toothy smile.

 Stop smiling like that, it makes me feel weird, Jessica. I looked at Hyoyeon and wiggled my eyebrows to . "Alright, looks like I'm moving in." I shrugged my right shoulder since my left is rendered immobile.

"Okay you can leave later today. I'll go get the papers and prescription for you." She left.

A few hours passed and the doctor came back with the papers and medicine for me. Hyoyeon and Jessica came back after getting dinner for themselves. No food for me? I pouted. That's not fair.

"Hyo, help me." I lifted my right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter