Valentines Day

Midnight Daydreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyoyeon absolutely hated Valentines Day. 

 

Her Instagram was flooded with pictures of couples out at the beach, kissing, hugging, feeling happy in each other’s arms…not that she had anything against that of course. Them living in a free society meant that anyone was free to do whatever they wanted. 

 

Except for the fact that it reminded her of her…

 

Her long brown locks that cascaded over her shoulders, her eyes that curved into crescent moons when she smiled…even though Hyoyeon had physically removed every trace of her from her modest apartment, a part of her had seared itself onto her heart and mind. Whenever she let her mind wander, for some reason, it always found its way to that chest that contained their fond memories. 

 

Fist tightening around her cup, Hyoyeon used her free hand to massage her temples, as though she could rid her mind of those thoughts by doing so. However, the more she tried to tear herself away, the more she found herself sinking deeper and deeper into that swamp of memories. 

 

Gritting her teeth and glancing towards the clock, Hyoyeon threw on her coat and left her apartment just as the clock struck midnight. 

 

 

The cold evening wind blew against her cheeks in some form of unhappy greeting as Hyoyeon set foot onto the cold pavement. She pulled her scarf tighter around her neck in hopes of retaining more warmth and nuzzled into the soft wool, simultaneously quickening her pace towards her destination. Even though the cold was onto her like a vicious monster, nothing stopped Hyoyeon from plugging in her ear plugs and blasting music into her ears. The sound of couples chattering and laughing were irking her to no end. Unfortunately, Hyoyeon could do little about the sights of couples filling the streets so she could only contend with looking at her feet as she walked, trusting her sense of direction to lead her to where she intended to go. 

 

It was nostalgic really, the weather and everything. It was a cold night when they met and Hyoyeon was walking in the same direction to the same place when she bumped into her and was instantly taken in by how her eyes had smiled at her as brightly as the smile on her face did. The coincidental encounter led to the intertwining of two hearts yet the way they had met almost seemed to foretell that they wouldn’t have a very good ending. 

 

It was along the same stretch of road three years later when she told her she didn’t love her anymore. When the weather was as cold and when Hyoyeon was walking towards in that exact same direction towards the exact same place. 

 

The only difference was that a heart could be heard breaking. 

 

Closing her eyes, Hyoyeon tried to push those memories to the back of her head and literally broke  out into a run as she dashed towards the place she had gone to console her broken heart after that day five years ago. 

 

She really hated Valentines Day. 

 

— 

 

Even though there were a few people in the area, the bar seemed to greet Hyoyeon with a certain warmth she couldn't describe. After pulling her scarf off her neck and draping her coat over the chair, Hyoyeon settled into one of the seats at the bar. Noticing the new but familiar presence, the bartender raised his eyebrow at the regular and no words were said as his hands reached for the familiar liquids that would soon form the concoction that would burn its way down Hyoyeon’s throat.  

 

“Rough day?” The bartender asked as he wiped the glass clean.

 

“Bet you can guess that Matthieus,” Hyoyeon muttered as she gulped the drink down in one shot, banging the glass down onto the table after she was done. She snapped her fingers, indicating that she wanted another glass and Matthieus was not one to deny her of it. Sometimes, one just wanted to get drunk.

 

“Where’s the music?”

 

“The regular singer just left bout 15 minutes ago. There’s someone coming in soon though. She’ll be playing till the bar closes so if you want you can stay till then. I heard she’s real good.” 

 

Nodding her head in acknowledgment, Hyoyeon emptied her second glass. 

 

The clanking of bells against the door of the bar indicated that someone, perhaps the singer, had come in. Or perhaps it could be another broken heart who needed to drown his sorrows in alcohol. Needless to say, Hyoyeon wasn’t interested in who it was. Right now her priority was to get herself drunk. 

 

The soft strumming of the guitar strings had her sighing as the melody filled her ears. She felt the muscles in her body relax and she slumped against the chair. 

 

And when the moment the singer’s voice filled the bar, Hyoyeon’s head whipped round to find out who the angel with the beautiful voice was. 

 

And boy was she as beautiful as her voice. 

 

Even though it looked as though she hadn’t combed her hair, the brown strands seemed to naturally fall over her shoulder and they accentuated the features of her face; not to mention the serenity that she was exuding only send Hyoyeon’s heart pounding even further.

 

She looked too much like her. 

 

And yet she was the reason Hyoyeon chose to stay till the bar closed. 

 

 

Taeyeon was packing up her guitar when she noticed a flash of blonde to her right. 

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hey,” Taeyeon greeted back. She was in no rush

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter