Her fingertips brushing against his back

Her fingertips brushing against his back

Seungyeon crossed the wall that surrounded the school. She was quite happy on this Monday morning as she was sure that it would be a good day. It wasn’t too hot or too windy. She had slept well and ate well. Everything was perfect.

However, she started panicking after seeing Woohyun, one of her dongsaengs. Before the weekend, he had declared his love to her. She had to give him an answer that morning, but she had forgotten. In truth, she felt nothing for him and was afraid to tell him.

She wanted to hide so that he wouldn’t be able see her. She looked around, but she had nowhere to hide. Another dongsaeng went near her and she took the opportunity to hide behind him. Surprised Jinki slowed down and tried to turn around to see what had just happened.

‘‘Let me hide behind you please.’’ she said, brushing Jinki’s back with her fingertips.

Jinki froze. He dared not move, not even look behind him. He felt the girl’s fingers brushing slightly against his back which made him shy. Seungyeon quickly stretched her head out to see if Woohyun was still there.

‘‘You- you’re avoiding someone?’’ he said at last.

‘‘He must not see me.’’

‘‘Who?’’

‘‘Nam Woohyun’’

He glanced around and found Woohyun standing at the entrance of the school. It was obvious he was waiting for someone.

‘‘What should we do now?’’ he asked. ‘‘We cannot stay like this any longer. They are all looking…’’

He was right. The other students were curiously watching. From the front, one could only see Jinki as Seungyeon was much smaller. He seemed to be talking to himself, motionless in the middle of the crowd of student walking toward the entrance. From the back however, one could have thought that she was giving him a back hug.

‘‘Let’s go backward then.’’ she said, pulling at his uniform forcing him to move.

They clumsily walk backward for a few steps, but it attracted even more curiosity from the others.

‘‘Wait!’’ he said with a chuckle. ‘‘I think it would be better if we turn back.’’

‘‘Okay, but make sure Woohyun isn’t looking this way.’’

At that moment, Woohyun was looking at his handphone so Jinki turned around as fast as he could. He looked straight ahead at first, but lowered his glance after noticing that the unknown girl was smaller than him. He recognized her immediately. He didn’t know her name, but he knew she was a nuna. Seungyeon looked into his eyes, but suddenly shy, she bowed her head. She felt her cheeks blush after noticing their proximity. They drew back a step. Yet, Jinki didn’t look away. He was fascinated by Seungyeon’s hair that was just under his eyes.

‘‘You turn around?’’ he asked after a few seconds of shy wonder.

Seungyeon then turned around without a word. Knowing that Jinki was just behind her made her heart beat faster.

‘‘You can go. I’ll follow you.’’

Seungyeon had forgotten Woohyun again.

They left the schoolyard in single file, walking in the opposite direction of the other students. On the other side of the wall, they had no reason to continue walking as they did because Woohyun was out of sight. Seungyeon turned to thank Jinki.

‘‘Why do you avoid Woohyun?’’

‘‘He has a crush on me. This situation is pretty embarrassing.’’

‘‘What are you gonna do now? You still have to go to school.’’

She then realized that her impulsive act was stupid. Woohyun would probably wait until the last minute. But Seungyeon couldn’t wait until then since the school gate would be closed. She was ashamed of herself.

‘‘Maybe I can help.’’

‘‘How? I can’t avoid him forever.’’

‘‘No, but… you could pretend to have a boyfriend. He will understand that you’re not interested.’’

Seungyeon took a few seconds to think about this idea. It wasn’t a bad one, she thought.

‘‘Hmm… Will you… Will you be the one…’’

‘‘The one who’ll pretend to be your boyfriend? If you want me to/too.*’’ Jinki said, wondering why he couldn’t shut his mouth.

‘‘Okay…’’

Her mind stopped thinking. She no longer controlled her words and actions.

‘‘Shall we go?’’ Jinki said, extending an open hand, an unconscious smile on his face.

Seungyeon put her hand in Jinki’s. Then, they entered the schoolyard again. They didn’t even mind the students that were staring at them. They thought of nothing but their hands touching. Their heart was pounding.



*A/N: Hearing this sentence, it seems like Jinki could have said either ‘‘to’’ or ‘‘too.’’