Pink Sticky Notes

Cheese Cake and Frappe For You

 

 

 

“Oh my knees are killing me.” Taeyeon's boss was hissing in pain while she was making a cup of coffee. "I hate getting old.”

“But every one's going there.”

“I hate it." She chuckled. "Call me pink monster, call me workaholic, call me flirt – though I'm not. Just don't call me old.” All of the people working in that department laughed.

“Excuse me Miss Hwang.” Taeyeon handed the files to her boss. "The admin called a meeting and the commission of audit head wants you to sign this.”

“What time is the meeting?”

“2 in the afternoon, Miss Hwang.”

“Ok, I'll be there.” Tiffany smiled, showing her eyes that looks like a crescent moon.

 

Taeyeon loves how her boss smiles. She calls it 'the eyesmile'. She has this huge crush of her boss since she started her internship in Hangdon Textile Company. She feel so lucky when her professor recommended to take her on-the-job training in that company, plus she was assigned in the marketing department. If not, she could have not met her boss.

 

She knew Tiffany is 10 years older than her and has a son, but her status is divorced. Albeit, she didn't mind the weird thought of this type of crush she had for her. Until this crush grew into more. Since she cannot confess the so called ridiculous feelings she had for her boss and it would be weird in Korean culture for a girl to like another girl. It's disgusting for them, they despise gay people, they condemn them. They call this abnormal.

 

Of course Taeyeon tried brushing off this feelings she had but she can't help it but to fall more for her. The only way she could express her feelings for Tiffany was giving her sweet stuff in special or random occasions.

 

• • •

 

It was Friday, Tiffany arrived in their department greeting everyone with a smile. She went inside her office and the computer. She saw a pink sticky note on the monitor saying, ”open your drawer & please drink it everyday.” She opened her drawer and found a box of herbal medicine for Arthritis. She smiled at the sweetness of whoever gave it to her. She take note to herself to ask her co-workers who gave her that box of herbal medicine.

 

Evening later, she approached Taeyeon who was busily sorting the files in the drawer. She tapped her shoulder. "Taeyeon.”

“Yes Miss Hwang?”

“Why aren't you home yet, it's late.”

“It's ok, I have to finish this now Miss Hwang.” She smiled.

“Just continue sorting that tomorrow, Taeyeon. Aren't you supposed to be out by 8pm?” Tiffany looked at the office's watch. "See, it's 9. Go home now and take a rest." She touched her arm. Taeyeon was fighting the urge to squeal hard by the touch she felt from her boss. All she did was nod.

“By the way, by any chance have you seen someone went inside the office this morning, bringing any box of...I don't know, medicine perhaps?”

“Sorry Miss Hwang I haven't.”

“I see...”

 

• • •

 

Tiffany's hair was still dripping wet, she was an hour late for her work. “I'm sorry for being late, Monday traffic jam.” She excused herself for being tardy. It was un usual for her to be late for work but there are events that can't be controlled. And the most damn thing she forgot was to drink coffee – the only source of her morning energy.

 

Luckily, she smelled the aroma of what she's been looking for. She looked beside the keyboard and found what she needed that day – a cup of coffee. Under the cup, there was a sticky note attached to it, saying, “Good morning coffee for Miss Hwang.” After reading it, her eyes were forming two crescent moons.

 

• • •

 

“Taeyeon.” Tiffany called.

“Yes, Miss Hwang?”

“Kindly submit this to the finance office.” She handed the folder to Taeyeon.

“Is that all, Miss Hwang?”

“Hmm..” She checked the files inside the drawer and handed couple of papers to Taeyeon. “And kindly photocopy these. I need 4 copies each. Please and thank you!” As usual she beamed her wonderful eyesmile that gave Taeyeon a hard time controlling herself from squealing.

 

• • •

 

It was the middle of the day. Everyone's having their lunch break but not for Tiffany. She was in the comfort room, talking to her ex-husband on the phone.

“No you can't... What do you mean we?... There's no we, there's no US!... I will let you see my son... Ok, OUR son... Puh-lease, I'm a very busy woman... Good then! Bye!” She put the phone in her pocket and wept her tears. She washed her hands and came back to her office. When she sat down, sighing, she saw a packed lunch with a pink sticky note saying, “Don't skip lunch.”

 

That day she forgot that they had an irritating conversation with her ex-husband, and ate her lunch with a smile on her face.

 

Who are you, really?

 

• • •

 

Tiffany went to all the department to find her son. A moment ago, she told her son to keep quiet and behave while she was on the phone, talking to a customer. After that, her son dissappered from her side.

 

“Have you seen my son, Minhyuk?”

“A bit earlier he was running around going that way.” He pointed at their department.

“Thank you.” After Tiffany turn about-face, she sighed.

 

She opened the door in her office, looking at her son who was sitting on the chair, his lollipop. “Minhyuk, I've been looking for you.” She hugged her son. “Where have you been?”

“Vending Machine–” Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“Excuse me Miss Hwang.”

Tiffany stood up and turned around. “Yes?”

“Here's the papers you need to sign for the next order.”

Minhyuk chuckled and then he covered his mouth. Tiffany didn't mind his son and get the papers from Taeyeon.

“Don't go yet, I have something to give you...” Tiffany opened the files in the drawer to find the document.

Taeyeon smiled at Minhyun, gesturing a 'hush sign'; Minhyuk nodded, and he too made that sign.

 

• • •

 

It's February 14th, Tiffany entered in the building – exactly 9 in the morning. She wondered why there was full of red and heart decorations until she finally realized that it was Valentines Day. It was almost foreign to her to celebrate that day, hence, she's always been busy for work. She thought to herself, when was the last time she celebrated Valentines Day. And then she remembered her ex-husband; she scoffed. She pushed the button going to the 8th floor – marketing department.

 

When she arrived at the 8th floor, she wondered why people were not in there respective cubicles – working. They were gathering around outside her office, fuzzing about something. Tiffany cleared startling everyone.

“What's with the locomotion?” She asked.

“Who's the new guy?” One employee asked.

“New, who?” She was confused, she just pass through them and opened her office. When she entered inside, there was a bouquet of pink flowers, a strawberry cake and a huge pink bear. There was a pink sticky note attached to the nose of the bear, saying, “Red is too mainstream for Valentines. Why not make it pink since it's your favorite. Happy Pink Valentines Day Miss Hwang.”

 

Everyone was cheering and squealing, they find it very sweet and so as Tiffany too, of course.

“Who gave this?”

“The delivery guy didn't mention the name.”

It made Tiffany more curious to find out who is her mystery sender.

 

She wants to know.

 

• • •

 

There were many phone calls, many transactions to make, many papers to sign. It was their peak month of orders for bulk delivery. Stressed Tiffany wasn't amused, thus handling it all in less enthusiastic day due to lack of sleep.

 

“Of course... Yes, by next week... Yes, yes... Thank you... Yes... I'm aware. As soon as possible... Ok, bye.” She put the phone down, massaging her forehead before she could continue signing the papers. When she flipped the next page, there was a pink sticky note attached. “Breathe. Calm yourself. Have a break. Open your drawer and it'll ease you.” She opened the drawer and found a Strawberry Kit Kat. For that moment, she forgot she was stressed.

 

• • •

 

It was Friday the 13th – bad luck occurs on that day as what people believed. Of course Tiffany does not believed in that . How could she? When on that day someone gave her a pack of pink macaroons. As usuall there was a pink sticky note attached to it, saying, “Never believed in Friday the 13th. Today will be a good day for you, Miss Hwang.” She itched in wanting to know her mystery sender. It's been 4 months of receiving stuff from that person. She's excited of what will surprise her for the coming days.

 

• • •

 

It's been 2 months of lack of random sweet stuff she received every morning since the intern students finished the required hours of their on-the-job training. Works have been doubled and no one would do their errands for them. As for Tiffany life was a boring month and full of work. She's kinda hoping that her mystery sender would return. And if that mystery sender would return, she wanted to talk and thank that person for giving spices to her life.

 

If ever she would find out who her mystery sender is, what would she say to that person? That, she would leave it to her future self to handle.

 

• • •

 

A month later Taeyeon came back to the company as an employee, she applied to work in the marketing department. She was given her own cubicle and a PC to work on.

 

That afternoon she was called by her boss for a short briefing.

"Taeyeon sit."

Taeyeon closed the door and sat down. "Yes, Miss Hwang?"

Tiffany instructed Taeyeon for the coming presentation. She opened her drawer and gave the folder to her.

"To whom should I give this to? To the HR head?"

Tiffany shook her head, she ordered Taeyeon to open the folder. And she did what she was told.

 

When Taeyeon opened the folder her eyes widened. "H-how did... you..." She stuttered.

Tiffany laughed and stood up on her seat. "It's a secret." She winked at the cute blushing Taeyeon who was petrified on her seat. Too dumb to act. "You thought I would't know?" She leaned down and kissed Taeyeon's rosy red cheek.

 

• • •

Epilogue: How did Tiffany found out?

 

The HR department required the intern students to make a reflection paper of what they have learned through out from their experience in their on-the-job training. Hyemin – the HR secretary submitted the marketing intern students's reflection papers to the marketing department head.

 

As Tiffany was reading the reflection papers. She felt the familiarity of one of the handwritings. She opened her lower drawer where she kept all the pink sticky notes she received from the past few months.

 

She didn't expect that it was one of the intern students who gave those sweet random stuff. Although she was not shocked that it was a girl, also she didn't feel weird nor ridiculed about the idea that her mystery sender is a girl. She was just happy to know who was it.

 

She turned her chair facing the office window, and smiled victoriously "I got you, Kim Taeyeon."