NO SEQUEL

Dreams

 

Dark grey colored the sky; replacing the usual calm blue sky and white clouds. Not a single bright yellow of the sun shines and light the earth. The roads are wet with rain since yesterday and it’s doesn’t look like it’s going to stop anytime soon. Dried leaves started to fall from their trees – signalling that fall is coming.

Gayoon stared at her wet window; decorated by splatter of rain water, as she took a sip of her hot black coffee. A shiny white 3-carat of diamond ring on her finger, slipped by her long-time boyfriend since college – now fiancé.

Choi Minho is the name. His father was the doctor that had saved her father ten years ago. Choi Minhyuk is a heart surgeon - a famous one at that. The whole South Korea knew who he is for he had once saved life of a son of a politician.

Word were spread fast that Gayoon will be a part of Choi Minhyuk’s family. Reporters had been bugging her night and day that her fiancé had to hire two bodyguards guarding her everywhere.

It’s annoying. She’s not used to this, to this kind of attention. She’s just a daughter of an executive manager of a small company, for godsake! Her mother is just a normal housewife. And she… she’s just an accountant.

Minho… Who is Minho, you ask?

Let’s see…

He was the captain of their college soccer team; had represented their college to national level and was the most popular A-grade student. Minho is currently working as a soccer player in South Korean national soccer team.

While Gayoon was just a normal hard-working average student of from Management course taking accounts. She was famous in their faculty but not outside throughout the whole campus like Minho was.

So how they met?

The couple had same group of friends. Gayoon’s brother, Kim Jonghyun is friends with Choi Minho. One thing led to another and next thing she knew, she was proposed to be Minho’s girlfriend.

They’ve been dating for five years before Minho popped the question and Gayoon said yes. Gayoon loves Minho. He’s sweet, he’s kind, he respects elders, he loves kids and he loves the idea of marriage and settling down.

All that Gayoon ever hopes for in a guy.

But then, why do I feel like I’m making a mistake? Why do I feel uneasy?

Gayoon groaned.

 

“You’re just nervous,” her friend, Himchan said. “I mean, marriage is a huge step! And you’re only 24. But then again, even people at their thirtieth get nervous as well. So it’s normal!”

“I’m having second thought, Himchan. How would you react if Yongguk suddenly pops in and shouts, WILL YOU MARRY ME, KIM HIMCHAN?!”

“I would say, good! It’s about damn ing time!”

Gayoon rolled her eyes. Himchan is already desperate enough to marry her middle school boyfriend. She had asked the wrong person.

“You guys are practically married, Himchan. God, you’ve been dating him for ten years and you’re living together! Of course you don’t mind! But me! I never had roommate! Or even a housemate! What if he doesn’t like if our house too clean or too neat? Or if on my lazy days, I don’t get up to clean our house? What if he likes sharing things like toothbrush or what if he likes showering together? I can’t stand that!”

“For one, yes, I will say yes straight away if Yongguk ask me because we’ve known each other a long time. But Gayoon, there are still other things I still have to learn about him, and him to me. Just yesterday, I learned; or found out he doesn’t wash his old tigger because he said it smells like his old home, his mother’s house.

Himchan cringed. “My point is, Gayoon, you won’t know how Minho will be like at his home. You’ll learn.”

 

I thought about what Himchan had said on my way home. She has points but… I’m just too scared, too nervous like I’m going to a battlefield or something. It’s like I’m about to do something bad. I felt like I’m betraying myself, my heart. Why?

“Please…” I whispered. “Please… Why… Is Minho really is for me or? Please…”

All of a sudden I started crying. I entered my apartment with eyes red, nose blocked, and messy mind. I put on my pyjamas and sleep.

Sleep till it all feels better.

Sleep is the best way.

Sleep is the escape.

To everything.

Sleep.

 

I sighed in content. I opened my eyes and its morning already. Bright light of the sun greeted me as I roll to my right.

It took me approximately a whole 60 seconds to scream on top of my lungs seeing a of half- man on my bed.

I blindly hit the shirtless man with my pillow as I went on screaming, “WHO. ARE. YOU. GET. OFF. MY. BED. GET. OUT. OF. MY. HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“Ouch ARGH!!! KIM GAYOON STOP!” the man said and I froze for a while before I hit him again. “HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW MY NAME-ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

The man caught both of my wrists and I let out, “Jongup?”

Jongup was my high school best friend turned boyfriend turned best friend back in college. He is also Minho’s friend - which was why my stomach churned at the fact that he dared sleeping with me knowing I’m getting married with Minho in less than a week!

Well, not that kind of sleeping with me but he did slept next to me! Half-, I might add!

“What are you doing here, half-, and sleeping with me?! How dare you! If Minho found out about this, you bet he’ll cut your head off!” I said furiously.

“Minho?” Jongup frowned.

“Minho! Choi Minho, my fiancé?!” I said, pressing on the word fiancé.

Jongup froze before he chuckled lightly. “Honey, are you dreaming again?”

Dreaming?

“You were Minho’s fiancé.  But that was three years ago? You’re…” Jongup chuckled. “Mrs. Moon now?”

He grabbed picture frame from bedside table and showed me proof of his words; our wedding picture.

I blinked. “Wh…what?”

“We’ve been married for three years now and we’re expecting,” Jongup said, smiling while rubbing my still flat belly. Flat, but I could feel something inside me.

“Erm… I need to go to toilet. Nature calls,” I said, prying off Jongup’s half embrace slowly.

Once inside our bathroom, I the tap, and washed my face. It must’ve been just a dream. I mean… Ho-How?

Just yesterday I was talking to Himchan about my wedding with Minho and suddenly now, I am married, not to Minho; but to my best friend, Jongup? Not to mention, pregnant?!

“Impossible,” I whispered.

“It’s not impossible,” someone said.

Not someone. Me.

In the mirror.

I shrieked and seconds later, Jongup pounds on the door. “Baby? Baby, are you okay?”

“Look what you’ve done, genius,” me in the mirror said. “Send him off and I’ll tell you why you’re in this time frame.”

I really do not want to do what the mirror said but it’s my only choice… Right?

“I-I’m okay, Jongup-ah… I uh… I saw a cockroach!” I said loudly.

“Do you want me to remove it?”

“No! I uh… It had gone out the window already…”

“Okay then! I’ll prepare us breakfast!” he said from the other side.

“He’s gone now. You wanna hear what I’m going to say?”

“Do I even have no choice?” I sighed. “Fire away.”

“Last night before you went to bed, your deepest inner heart wished to see your future; if you will be happy, to be exact - and your wish is granted. You are given 24 hours starting 15 minutes ago to see how your life is or, will be, in the future.”

Silent. It made me speechless. Is this even real?

“It’s real, alright.” I stare at the mirror. How the hell could it knew what I was thinking?

“It’s happening in your head but that doesn’t mean this is not real. Your current, or should I say past three years ago self is in a deep sleep. So deep, it’s like you’re dead. For you, it’s like you never sleep. But for those in that time frame, you’re still in a deep slumber.”

“Ho-how do I get back?’ I said.

“Once your time is up, you’ll go back automatically. For now, enjoy your happy life with Jongup.” My reflection winked.

“One more,” I said. “Why Jongup?”

I saw myself smiled. “Why don’t you ask yourself?”

And suddenly my reflection went static, back to normal. I wash my face again and take a deep huge breath.

“You can do this,” I said to myself as I open the door and headed to the kitchen.

Our room is at the last room at the end of the corridor. As I passed two more rooms and a bathroom, I saw an empty room with yellow paints. I assumed that will be the nursery. The other room seems to be a study room with two tables at both sides, facing each other. Jongup works as a business manager. The study room is probably ours.

As I entered the living room, I gasped at the sight of our big wedding photo on the wall behind the couch. Jongup’s lips against my cheek with me smiling so wide, my eyes disappeared. Can someone really be that happy? On both sides of our wedding photo, are our wedding vows.

Him with black frame while mine with the whites.

Before I could even read the vows, I felt a pair of arms wrapped around me. I almost flinch but I didn’t. Why didn’t I, I thought.

Jongup was still shirtless though and I could feel his thick hard muscles behind me.

“You didn’t come to me while I was making your French toast?”

I turned around and he smiles. I never realize this but… he’s so beautiful?

“I… I uh… I don’t want to disturb you,” I said, almost knocking myself out because of that lame excuse. Stupid Gayoon!

“You will never disturb me, baby… Now come, let’s eat! I’m hungry!” Jongup took my hand in his and walked me to the kitchen.

He sat next to me and passed me the butter to put on my toasts.

I took it, smiling for the first time today.

I feed myself a bite of the French toast before I move my gaze to Jongup next to me. He was eating normal toast with butter and strawberry jam. Same as how my father usually eats his toasts.

My father dislikes Jongup - something about him wanting to be a professional dancer instead of having a normal job in a box at a company in business industry.

My father favours guys who work in a business industry. Minho is an exception because he knew Minho’s father; can’t really say much about Minho’s profession.

“I take it you and my father got along well?” I asked.

“I’m in a business industry with interest in politics. What’s not to like about me?”

That sounded sarcastic. Ouch.

“Don’t get me wrong, Gayoon,” Jongup said, looking at me. “I really did try my best to impress your dad but he’s not helping. You know I brought him to play golf. And from then we started having brunch together and your dad… well, he doesn’t hate me anymore. But he doesn’t like me either. I’m still on…” He stopped, thinking of a suitable word. Then, “-probation, you could say that.”

Jongup continues to eat.

Yeap, that does sound like my dad. I continue eating my breakfast and drinking my nescafe; feeling so bad about my dad disliking my husband.

Husband.

I almost giggle at the sound of that word.

“I’m sorry…” Jongup said, noticing my silence. “I just… your dad really am one stubborn old man. Do you remember when he almost strangles me when we announced to them that you’re pregnant? Like it’s a crime a husband impregnate his wife.”

“HE DID WHAT?!”

Jongup stared at me strangely.

“He almost strangles me if you and your mom didn’t stop him. You were there too, remember babe?”

I open and close my mouth like a fish before Jongup laughed and kiss my nose.

“What’s wrong with you today?”

I smile half-heartedly. “Short-term memory, I guess.”

Jongup kissed my temple and continued eating.

“So,” I said. “-considering I’m forgetting things right now, do you mind telling me what’s the plan for today; if we have one?”

“We have a date today,” he said, taking a sip of his coffee. “We’ll have our usual date.”

Typical Gayoon-Jongup date of Cuddling all day?

That sounds terrific.

“And anyway,” Jongup started. “Your mom calls for dinner tonight and I figured we might be there a little be late as we promised Yongguk we’ll visit Himchan at the hospital later today.”

“What? Why? Did something happen to Himchan?” I panicked. My best friend hurt and I didn’t know?!

“Gayoon.” Jongup turned and looked at me with confused expression. Oh no. He found out I’m not his wife, isn’t it? Oh crap. I’m so dead.

“Yes?” My voice shook.

“Himchan was in labor. You were with her when her water broke,” Jongup said, tone somewhat confused.

“Oh! Hahaha… Erm, yeah! I er…” I stammered. “I kinda forgot.”

“Gayoon, are you sure you’re okay? We can just stay at home if you’re not feeling well?” Jongup put his hand on my forehead, testing my temperature.

He frowned worriedly.

He looks… cute?

“Erm, no! We’ll go! Visit them, I mean. And, dating, and going to mom’s house. Yeah, sure… I’ll uh… Are you finished?” I said. “Cuz I’ll clean the dishes and you can go take a shower and wear some clothes.”

“Okay?” Jongup said before he pecked my forehead and my nose before his lips rested on my… cheeks because I avoided his lips from getting to mine.

Jongup frowned again.

I smiled sweetly as my husband got up from his seat and disappear to our bathroom.

Phew…

How the hell…

So Yongguk must have proposed to Himchan some time I married Jongup. Well congratulation my friend, you had made the most clueless man in universe to finally marry you.

In which I kinda doubt Yongguk the one who proposed.

I mean, it’s Himchan.

But I don’t know Yongguk as well as Himchan. He’s probably much more outspoken than how Himchan usually describe him.

I clean my hands after finishing the dishes before I suddenly have this urge to touch my stomach.

I rubbed it a few times, smiling to myself that there is a person inside me; a little me and a little Jongup.

A rough man’s hands joined my rubbing and I felt his breath on the crook of my neck. Surprisingly, I feel calmed.

“I’m finished,” I said.

“Me too…” Jongup whispered, kissing my neckline.

I turned around.

Jongup catches my lips as both of his hands cupped my face. We started kissing each other softly as he expressed his love for me in the gesture. I wrapped my hands around his neck as we move in sync. There’s nothing ual about our kiss as our tongues danced.

We just… love each other so much.

And I realized why I married this man.

It was a no secret that Jongup and Minho likes the same girl back in college. While Minho pursued the girl directly, Jongup stood back and gives way to his best friend. When Jongup and I broke up, it was because Jongup said we should’ve never date. But when I come to think of it, it was because of Minho. He treasured his friendship with Minho so much that he gives the girl up for his best friend.

Minho slowly makes his way into the girl’s life. He made the girl liked him, and eventually said yes to his proposal.

But the girl refused to actually marry him.

Because the girl’s heart will always belong to this one person who had always been with her through ups and downs. He was her first love and one that she gave her crown to. She trusted him and he had never let her down.

Well, except for this one time when he gives her up to his best friend like she’s an auction object.

I broke the kiss, breathless. Jongup continues expressing his love by pecking my forehead, my cheeks, my nose and my palms.

He lingers on my palm, staring at me with his small eyes.

“I love you,” I said.

“I love you too,” he said.

 

“I can’t marry you,” Gayoon said when Minho rushed to her house the same day she woke up from her dream.

Minho frowned.

“What?”

“Minho…” Gayoon said, holding out her hand to hold Minho’s. “I like you.”

Minho smiled half-heartedly.

“But you don’t love me,” he said.

Gayoon nodded.

“I understand. I knew the risk when I asked you out a long time ago and when you said yes to marry me. You might don’t remember it, but you seemed force to say yes.”

Minho smiled with tears threatened to fall as he’s accepting the girl that he loves for almost five years will never be his.

She never was.

“So, who’s the lucky guy?”

“I think you know who…”

Minho chuckled. “Yeah. I have uh… I get the idea…”

“I’m sorry…” Gayoon said as she hugs her ex-fiance.

“Don’t be,” Minho said, accepting her hug. “Feelings are not something that you can control.”

 

 

 

 


 

This is horrible.