Too Many Attempts to Handle

The Demon Inside

Jonghyun~

When he heard Taeyeon's heartbeat stutter, he knew that something was wrong. He hadn't felt any pain during the time that Taeyeon had mumbled those weird Latin spells. Yeah, he'd gasped, but that was because he'd almost lost his footing.

"O-open your eyes," Taeyeon allowed. Jonghyun could hear the disappointment in her voice. Jonghyun opened his eyes, staring around at the others.

Jinki looked a little dejected, but otherwise calm. Minho was thoroughly confused, glancing around at everyone and everything for an answer to his unasked question. Kibum just hissed through his teeth and took out his phone, dialing someone and going on about business that Jonghyun wasn't interested in.

Jonghyun eyed himself, trying to see if anything was different. When Taeyeon shook her head, he knew it probably hadn't worked. Sure, he hadn't writhed on the ground and a black spirit hadn't escaped through his mouth in smoky tendrils . . . but still. There was a chance.

Right?

Jonghyun clenched his jaw and tested his fangs. He quickly retracted the sharp teeth as soon as he felt them slide out.

Yep. Still pretty demonic. What had he expected? Taeyeon started to rub out the pentagram, murmuring apologies for wasting everyone's time.

"Probably gonna cancel that article, huh?" Key sighed, shaking his head as he hung up the phone call. "Too bad, pretty. It would've been nice to have my face in the papers." Jonghyun stretched his arms and tilted his head from side to side when he could finally move out of the circle. “No offense, pretty face, but this was a waste of my time.”

“I’m sorry,” Taeyeon murmured softly, looking just as lost as Jonghyun felt. His brows furrowed.

“You don’t have to apologize to him,” he snapped, glaring at Kibum.

“Don’t take it out on me! It’s not my fault your girlfriend’s test didn’t go out well,” Jonghyun’s cousin said as he raised his hands in a “not-my-problem” gesture. Jonghyun would’ve literally snarled at Kibum if it hadn’t been for the fact that Minho suddenly threw his arms around the shorter boy.

“Anyways!” the tall male crooned, shaking Jonghyun back and forth. “It’s been so long! Man, when you dropped out, everyone missed you. The girls were all like, ‘Where’s oppa?’ And Se Kyung came back so pissed! She said she broke up with you because she realized what a jerk you were, and a bunch of crap about how you were so distressed that you transferred.”

“Bull,” Taeyeon grunted as she finished cleaning up. Minho glanced at her.

“Who’s that?” he questioned.

“Not Jonghyun’s girlfriend, that’s for sure,” Taeyeon snorted with a pointed look at Kibum. Jonghyun’s cousin shrugged and began tapping away at his phone again.

“We met recently. She’s a friend staying at my place for her story,” Jonghyun explained with calm fibs. Minho wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

/seductive minho frog eyes here/

“Really now, hyung? Ju~st a friend? Staying at your place? Is it really just a story?” Minho teased, his huge frog eyes growing wider with his words.

“I will strangle you,” Jonghyun answered calmly, raising his hands toward Minho’s neck. The latter frowned, crossing his arms as he ran to duck behind Jinki.

“He got a lot meaner since high school. More like his cousin,” Minho pouted, followed by Kibum shouting at Minho not to compare him to Jonghyun.

Jinki sighed, still trying to keep a bright smile. He was just as disappointed as Jonghyun and Taeyeon were that the exorcism failed. Nonetheless, they all probably hadn’t expected much from that cheap version of a professional exorcism.

“Sorry for wasting your time, guys. You can go home now,” Jinki apologized.

“Wait! Your numbers, please,” Taeyeon requested sweetly. The two looked shocked, but Jonghyun was even more so. Why was she giving her number away to guys so easily? “I might need multiple people in the near future for more supernatural-related articles. It’s really in these days.” Taeyeon shot Jonghyun a look. He nodded in understanding.

Kibum seemed to hesitate, waving his phone around and staring in the air. “Fine. I don’t usually give my number to anyone, but you’re an exception, pretty face.” Jonghyun scowled. Did he really have to keep calling her that?

“Taeyeon noona, right? That’s what Jinki called you? Can I call you that?” Minho asked. He took the phone from Kibum when the businessman finished entering his contact in. Taeyeon looked a bit taken aback but nodded shyly. Jonghyun’s jaw clenched. “I’m texting myself! I’ll enter you as ‘Taeyeon Noona,’ deh?”

Taeyeon nodded again, but Jonghyun sighed and took the phone from Minho’s hands.

“Are you done? Let’s go, Taeyeon,” he grumbled.

“I saw your number in her contacts, by the way! I sent it to myself!” Key shouted after the two as Jonghyun dragged her down the street. He whirled around, glaring as Minho bounced towards Key.

“Eh?! Give it to me, too!” he shouted.

Jonghyun squeezed his eyes shut as he walked and tore at his hair. “Aish, seriously-!” He opened his eyes to find Taeyeon smiling widely at him. “What? Really, are you so easily swayed by men? You were probably putty in their hands when they kept flirting with you!” Jonghyun shook his head and stormed to the apartment.

“Flirting? You call that flirting?” Taeyeon laughed, jogging after him. “They’re just friendly. Plus, I need them for future experiments!”

“Well, today wasn’t very successful, was it?” Jonghyun scoffed. Hurt, Taeyeon’s bottom lip jutted out and she glanced away, eyebrows drawing together. When he noticed the silence, Jonghyun’s eyes darted to her. He sighed at her defeated expression.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled. “I was really hoping it would work, too.”

“Why, because then I wouldn’t be able to kill you?” Jonghyun said bitterly. He did his best to ignore Taeyeon’s expression, which deepened in hurt when he’d said that. Instead of turning right, to where his apartment would be, Jonghyun veered left. “My job starts,” Jonghyun informed Taeyeon before she could ask.

“Oh” was all she said in reply. Jonghyun paused when he heard her footsteps start in the other direction. His hand flung back to grab her wrist. Wait. That wasn’t her wrist.

“Mommy, this ahjussi just grabbed the top of my head!” the little boy whose hair Jonghyun had clung to screeched. The mother of the child shot Jonghyun a weird look, and he bowed several times, cheeks burning.

“I-I didn’t mean to - I wasn’t looking and -” Jonghyun leaned and glanced behind the lady and her son, finding Taeyeon. She had witnessed the whole ordeal, and she was currently cracking up, bent over and supporting herself with much trouble. “I was trying to look for her . . .” Jonghyun pointed weakly.

“So you would reach back and smack a young lady?!” the mother gasped. “I swear.” The woman shook her head as she took her son’s hand and left.

Jonghyun could only stare as Taeyeon doubled over and shook with her guffaws, his finger still directed towards her. He lowered his hand as his scowl grew more defined.

“Why did you walk away?!” Jonghyun demanded angrily, ears turning red with embarassment while Taeyeon’s laughter died down.

“I w-was walking to the apartment. D-duh,” Taeyeon gasped, shoulders still moving up and down with her giggles.

“No! You’re going to the vet with me. Let’s go,” Jonghyun huffed. Taeyeon rolled her eyes and went after him. When they arrived at his job, Jonghyun visibly relaxed, an automatic smile gracing his lips.

“Jonghyun!” the girl at the counter cheered, leaning forward to wave with both hands.

“Oh. Um, hey, IU,” Jonghyun greeted with a small smile. Taeyeon tilted her head at that.

“IU? As in . . . eye”- she pointed to her pupil -“and you?” She pointed to Jonghyun.

“Yeah, IU. She likes that name. You didn’t see her when we first visited because she was in the back.” Jonghyun went up to the front desk, where the girl was smiling brightly at him.

(A/N: I chose IU as a flirt-with-Jjong-make-Taeyeon-jealous character because . . . I don’t know. My friends said they looked good together. So since I won’t use Taeyeon’s name in my future stories (ByunTae) I will most likely use IU. Unless requested otherwise

You guys can request who I make a story with for the other members)

“We have two kittens in today. They were abandoned last night, and it’s been getting cold, too,” IU sighed, shaking her head. “One is blind, and the other has a bad paw and ear.”

“I’ll go check and see if Doctor Jung needs help. Then I’ll go to the daycare center.” That’s what Jonghyun loved about this veterinarian: the little daycare addition.

“Of cou~rse,” IU giggled. “You love the dogs, don’t you?”

“Uh-huh. Is it okay if Taeyeon goes in with me while I look at the kittens?” Jonghyun asked. IU seemed to finally notice the petite girl’s presence. She smiled at Taeyeon, looking a little uncertain.

“Oh. I guess . . . Hello. I’m IU. And you are?”

“Kim Taeyeon.”

“Jonghyun’s sister, right?” IU asked ecstatically, eyes darting between the two in search for some sort of genetic resemblance. “Kim Jonghyun and Kim Taeyeon . . .?”

“We’re not siblings,” Taeyeon chirped, but that was all she said before she pointed to the door where she assumed the kittens were. Jonghyun nodded and led her in, leaving an open-mouthed IU back at the front desk.

“You could’ve told her we weren’t dating. I’m pretty sure that’s what she was asking for,” Jonghyun snorted.

“I know,” Taeyeon said in a low voice before cackling evilly. Jonghyun shook his head smilingly as he opened the door. Taeyeon gasped when she saw the two tiny gray-fur kittens.

“Which one is the blind one?” Jonghyun asked softly as he put on a white coat. He had told Taeyeon before that it made him feel more professional. The doctor, an old man with gentle smile wrinkles, pointed and began to tell Jonghyun what to do.

“Is she your girlfriend?” he asked aloud as Jonghyun tried to feed the small animals. Taeyeon bowed politely, not able to take her eyes off the kittens. They were so adorably yet saddening.

“Nope,” Jonghyun answered casually, petting the blind kitten.

“Such a shame. She’s pretty,” Doctor Jung complimented, earning a blush from Taeyeon.

“Eh,” Jonghyun responded, setting the kitten down. That earned him a glare from Taeyeon. “We’re going to check on the daycare now. Is that okay?” Doctor Jung nodded and reminded him to feed all the pets.

As soon as Taeyeon reached the daycare, she fell on her knees and let herself be bombarded with animals.

“I’m in heaven!” she squealed as a retriever began to at her. “I used to have a dog named Ginger . . . It was a small dog, though. What about Roo?” Jonghyun looked up from the dog he was petting and shrugged as he walked over to check on the rabbit named Floof in the corner.

“Roo was a long-haired daschund. I always kept a picture of her in my pocket to show off when I went to school . . .” Jonghyun took out his wallet and flipped it open. “Here.” Taeyeon smiled softly at the photo.

“Cute,” she commented before crawling across the floor to check on a reserved cat in the corner. It hissed at her. “Not as cute. But. I respect that.” She hurriedly retreated. “The exorcism today . . . I’m not going to try anything as big as that for a while. I need to prepare. But, I will be trying some of the less promising tactics.”

Jonghyun thought back to when he had read the ideas in her journal warily.

“O . . . okay . . .”

 

~~~~~~~

 

CUE EPIC MONTAGE MUSIC!!!! PREPARE FOR SERIES OF EVEeEeeNTSssS!

 

BwahH!” Jonghyun jerked awake as icy cold liquid drenched him and his bed, spluttering and drawing out his claws.

“Whoa, whoa! Careful with those,” Taeyeon yelped, jumping back.

“What are you doing in my room again?! Do we have another demon thing to do this early?”

Taeyeon held up the bucket she was clutching in her hands. It was empty now, with signs of water dripping down the sides.

“Holy water,” she explained with a tentative smile.

“More like holy ,” Jonghyun spat out a mouthful of water, waving his claws around. “Out. Now.”

“Yes, sir.”

 

Taeyeon set the plate of omelette on the kitchen counter, smiling as she sat down across from Jonghyun. He was seated on the other side of the opening in the wall, staring cautiously down at his lunch.

“Why does it smell weird?” he said slowly, suspiciously. Taeyeon pouted.

“You’re the one who told me to cook your meals. Just try it; it’s a new recipe. Plea~se!” she sighed, leaning forward on her elbows to maintain an innocent appearance. Jonghyun took his fork and pulled out a piece of the egg, veggies, and meat, sprinkled with some sort of grainy . . .

HAck!” Jonghyun started to cough violently, pounding his chest with his fist as he dropped the fork. “This is - so - damn - salty!” Jonghyun quickly ran to the fridge for a bottle of water, but Taeyeon stopped him.

“It’s exorcised salt!” she explained quickly, throwing some of the white grains at his face

“Pleh! Get it away! That’s not how you do it!” Jonghyun groaned.

“How would you know? Say aah!

“Eeh?” Taeyeon caught Jonghyun’s chin and opened his mouth wider. Then she poured an unknown liquid - Oh, great, another unknown liquid - into it. Jonghyun immediately spit it out, and unfortunately had swallowed some. “Exorcised oil. They say it only works for if you were enchanted by a meal, but I thought I might as well try.”

“I hate you.”

“Why?”

“I am going to throw up.”

“Are you still a demon?”

“My throat has gone through hell.”

“Seriously, though?” Jonghyun’s eyes flash dark red. “Nevermind.”

 

Jonghyun wrinkled his nose in disdain. Oh, not again. His eyes slowly opened, only to be met with a gray haze. Did Taeyeon start a fire in his room? Was she trying to burn the demon out? Jonghyun sat up quickly, looking around frantically.

“It’s just incense,” Taeyeon assured him with a smirk. Then her face became flat. “I have no idea what I’m supposed to do.”

“Rule number 8. GO AWAY!”

“That’s not really a rule!” Taeyeon called as she raced out of Jonghyun’s room.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as Jonghyun took a small of the sushi she had prepared for him.

“You don’t have to keep testing your food for weird things anymore. I won’t do anything with food without telling you,” she promised.

“I’d prefer you warn me before you do anything with anything,” Jonghyun admitted, stuffing a whole piece into his mouth. He gave her a careless thumbs up, then shouted as she hit him across the forehead with something. “Ouch!”

Rubbing the place where the object had made contact with his skin, Jonghyun glared at Taeyeon. His mouth slowly fell open.

“Did you seriously just whap me over the head with a cross? I thought I told you I’d tried that before!” Jonghyun squinted at the thing Taeyeon held sheepishly in her hands. “Did you get that from Walmart?”

“Why ever would you say that?” Taeyeon’s eyes went wide, feigning innocence.

“You didn’t take off the sticker, you idiot.” He paused. “Is that thing plastic? Are you serious?”

 

Jonghyun stared at Taeyeon tensely. He’d gotten used to being cautious and wary around her, tiptoeing around her for the past week.

“I’m sorry, okay? You’re the one who’s making me do this for you!”

“Are you sure you were telling the truth when you said you were a professional at this, Miss Journalist? You’re not doing anything!” Jonghyun growled. His lip pulled up to reveal his fangs as further proof.

“With the way things are going, the only way for you to turn back is to get the information from . . . the person who made you what you are,” Taeyeon sighed, rubbing her eyes. “I’ve been looking up all the weird sightings here, a lot of them being you.”

“He’s an older demon, wiser, experienced,” Jonghyun defended himself. “He knows what to do, more so than I.” His fingers tapped constantly on the carpet, where they were laying at in front of the TV. “We’ll focus on finding the demon, then, not changing me directly.”

“Uh-huh,” Taeyeon said distractedly. “Jonghyun, do you still have the card from the SM agency? It was SM, right?” Her eyes were focused on the television screen. Jonghyun followed her gaze and saw models walking up and down the runway.

“Yeah . . . why?”

“Minho. Are you sure you met him only in high school?” Taeyeon asked. Jonghyun squinted at the TV and inhaled sharply.

“Is that Minho? He never told me he was a model!” Jonghyun gasped. He thought about Taeyeon’s question. “We never really talked until high school, but I think he’s been in my schools all my life. Why?”

“Nothing. It’s just - that fierce expression and those red contacts he’s modeling makes it really look like you when you’re turned demon,” Taeyeon muttered with a shrug. Jonghyun raised his eyebrows.

“Are you implying that Minho is the demon that turned me?”

“I’m just laying out the possibilities,” Taeyeon flipped open her journal and began to jot down notes furiously. When she was finished, Jonghyun snorted.

SUSPECTS!

- Minho: red contacts + model expression (fierce!) = demon

“Taeyeon . . .,” Jonghyun sighed as she let out a short “ah!” and began to write more.

- Doojoon: aka Se Kyung’s boyfriend. Possible liar. He knew about Jonghyun and SK and attempted to kill Jonghyun out of jealousy?

“You’re the worst journalist. I told you this happened when I was six.”

“Ah.” She crossed it out. “Okay, this is purely research, but I need you to join that modeling agency. Like. Now.” Taeyeon sprinted to Jonghyun’s room, although they had both agreed she couldn’t enter there without his permission anymore. She came back with the small business card. “Call. Now.”

Jonghyun scowled and mimicked her words as he dialed the number. “What do you want me to do, stalk Minho during the photoshoots and get footage on his suspicious acts.”

“Actually, I’ll be doing that. You are my ticket in. Just look pretty, make money,” Taeyeon said with a wave of her hands. Jonghyun couldn’t help but laugh at her excited expression. “What? I’ve always wanted to experience one of those professional photoshoots!”

“I’ve heard they’re boring,” Jonghyun lied in an effort to just see her pout.

“Liar,” Taeyeon said right away. “From who?”

Jonghyun ignored her and glanced at the TV, watching Minho strut up and down the stage with an aura of confidence. So his ex-girlfriend had become an actress, her boyfriend a singer, and his old friend a model . . .

And here he was.

Noticing Jonghyun’s sudden decline in mood, Taeyeon put her hand on top of his head. He glanced at her and raised his eyebrows in question, to which she only smiled back.

And he did, too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

/seductive banana / Hello there~

SPECIAL GREETING BECAUSE AFTER A WEEK I AM BACK

YAAAAAAAYYYYY

When I saw that first gif on Tumblr I was crying because

How is she so seductive

If I tried to be seductive I would be like

yo..../nods/..../winks/

It has been a LONG week

But I'm back from my competition and I can come back saying that I WON!!!

CELEBRATORY COLLAGE OF HAPPINESS HERE

I'm trying hard to do a double update, but it's difficult

No promises

(I . . . I'm not even sure what this gif even is supposed to mean . . . but he cute though, am I riiight)

Please comment, subscribe, upvote or just read!

I don't know.

No pressure

/stares/

Okay ^~^ Thank you for being here!

-pannashawol