Pretentious Relationships

Pretentious Relationships

Kwangmin thought that his brother Youngmin was like a beautiful red flower that all the bees were attracted to. In other words, all of the members in Boyfriend (except Kwangmin of course) likes Youngmin. He can't hate Youngmin though because no matter what, he will always be his beloved twin brother, but, sometimes Kwangmin's jealousy becomes too much - so he would choose to isolate himself, so that nobody would see his tears of frustration.

Donghyun and Minwoo were the loud and obvious ones.  Both were very verbal about their feelings - from romantic cheesy lines to flirtatious and seductive voices.  Both were very touchy-feely and they also tend to be possessive and jealous if other people touched Youngmin.  They try very hard to entertain Youngmin and keep Youngmin's attention to themselves.

Hyunseong and Jeongmin were the quiet ones.  They were content just watching Youngmin from afar.  They care for Youngmin is small and subtle ways like offering a drink or some food, passing stuff like tissue or a towel to Youngmin (blushing when their hands brush lightly), or carrying Youngmin's bag on the way to the car.

Kwangmin started to like Jeongmin for very simple reasons.  It is always Jeongmin who remembers that Kwangmin still exists.  It is Jeongmin who would inform Kwangmin that dinner is ready.  It is Jeongmin who would notice Kwangmin's absence in the van before they leave.  It is Jeongmin who pretends that Kwangmin is Youngmin sometimes.

Kwangmin didn't mind at first.  He liked the fact that he has Jeongmin's attention even if it's only because Kwangmin looks like Youngmin but as time passed by, he wanted Jeongmin to see him for himself, and not because he can easily replace Youngmin.

Jeongmin was about to kiss Kwangmin but Kwangmin turned his head so Jeongmin only ended up kissing his cheek instead.  "What's wrong?  You've been weird lately."  Jeongmin said.

"I don't want to pretend to be Youngmin for you anymore." Kwangmin stepped away from Jeongmin.  "I was desperate for attention so I told you it's okay from the beginning but now... it's not okay anymore.  I  guess I would rather go back to being a loner than being in this pretend relationship."

"I see.  If that's what you want."  Just like that, Jeongmin left the room but even after their pretentious relationship ended, it was still Jeongmin who would remind everyone that Kwangmin exists.  Kwangmin doesn't know what to feel about it.

Kwangmin didn't tell anybody where he was.  Heck, he didn't know where he was either.  He just ran away and stopped when his legs got tired from running.  He walked around and got himself engrossed with looking inside different shops. The cellphone in his pocket started to ring.  It was Jeongmin.

"Where are you?  You better come back here before they notice that you're gone."  Jeongmin said in a soft tone, obviously not wanting anybody to hear what he just said.  "The manager will get angry and you'll be punished."

"Why do you make it your obligation to notice my presence or absence?"

"I might not like you the way I like Youngmin but I do care for you."

"I hate you."  Kwangmin said, contradicting his love for Jeongmin.  "Why can't you just love me instead of Youngmin?"

Jeongmin sighed over the phone.  "Because you're complete opposites. Youngmin is all sunny and happy while you're being sad and cloudy."

"The main reason why I'm sad and cloudy is because nobody cares."

"I do care for you."

"Apparently not enough to make me sunny and happy, but that's okay because you don't like me the way you like Youngmin anyway."  Kwangmin hung up and turned off his phone. With a heavy heart, he bought some ice cream and ate by himself on the chair outside the convenience store.

An hour later, Jeongmin showed up right in front of Kwangmin, breathing heavily and panting from running.  "You actually made it very far from our dorm,"  He took a seat to rest his legs. "And it's not good to eat ice cream late at night."

"I'd prefer if you wouldn't care,"  Kwangmin said, pushing away the half-gallon ice cream tub, which still had a lot left in it.  "You're so nice to me that it hurts."

"I shouldn't have gotten into that pretend relationship with you even if you were begging me for it.  I shouldn't have agreed to let you pretend to be Youngmin even if you were the one who suggested.  I'm really sorry.  You have no idea how much I'm regretting that now."  Jeongmin reached out across the table to hold Kwangmin's hand, squeezing it lightly.

Kwangmin pulled his hand away and stood up.  "Let's go back now."

"Kwangmin, I may not like you the way I like Youngmin but..."

"Stop it, please. You said that already.  I get the point."

"I care for you way more than I care for Youngmin.  I don't believe I said the last part to you earlier."  Jeongmin stood up wrapping his arms around Kwangmin's waist in a loose hug.  "You can be sad and cloudy and I'll just be here to give you comfort."

"You're confusing.  How can you care for me more than Youngmin when you like him?"  Kwangmin asked, placing his hands on Jeongmin's chest, gripping his shirt lightly.

"I said I may not like you the way I like Youngmin, which technically means I do like you, and it could also mean I do like you more than Youngmin.  It's because you're such a pessimist that you interpreted what I just said in a negative way."  Jeongmin chuckled as he ran his fingers along Kwangmin's hair.

"Then why did we have to go all through that pretending?" Kwangmin frowned.

"Because you didn't like me back then.  You were just desperate for attention.  It wouldn't have mattered to you if it was me or somebody else but through our pretend relationship, you got to know me.  You love me now, don't you?"  Jeongmin asked, not needing an answer as he saw the blush spreading on Kwangmin's cheeks.  "At some point, I did have a crush on Youngmin but I've always liked you.  I love you, Kwangmin."  Jeongmin made sure the tone of his voice emphasized on Kwangmin's name.

"Then... can we be in a relationship again?"  Kwangmin asked, soft and shy.

"Yeah.  A real relationship this time around."

"And that's okay with you? Even if I'm not sunny and happy?"

"I've always preferred cloudy.  I don't want you sad though, so I'll just make it a point to keep you happy.  What do you say we grab some hot chocolate before we go back to the dorm?  We're both going to get punished anyway so we might as well enjoy our way back." Jeongmin leaned in to bite Kwangmin's ear playfully.

Kwangmin blushed because even during their pretentious relationship, Jeongmin was never this playful around him.  That's when he knew that he still doesn't know Jeongmin very well but that's okay.  They have time to get to know more about each other for real this time around because there's no more pretending.

THE END

A/N:  It's my second Boyfriend fic.  This time they are my OTP!  I don't think I'll be writing Boyfriend for a while after this... unless your comments would convince me otherwise~ XD  It's just that I want to see more of them in variety shows first before writing them again because I really feel I don't know them well yet.

 

I hope you'll check out my other boyfriend fic~ Love Quadrangle, Pentagle, Whatever!   Jeongmin/Hyunseong