How Much Time

How Much Time - Sunggyu

The grey clouds started to congregate in the sky above, distant rumbling warned of the storm’s strength while the sun started to fade through the thickening clouds.

Your eyes rose to the sky as your feet skipped down the stairs of your closest friend’s house. Adjusting your purse strap on your shoulder, you smiled as you felt the cool air start to roll in as did the storm. Sliding your hands into your jean pockets, you watched the laces on your shoes lift and settle with every step you took. 

Scanning your surroundings, you began to walk home, pulling out your phone, you looked at the time as you saw the white numbers flash on your screen. Sliding your phone back into your pocket, you continued to follow the route that lead you home.

Cars passed you on the sidewalk on your way home, thinking it would be faster for you to get a ride but you decided against it as you didn’t want to put anyone out of their way just for a silly request from a stranger.

The rumbling of thunder got louder this time as you heard the cars rush past but the sound of a vehicle slowing down behind you made your heart start to race. Taking in a deep breath, you looked over your shoulder to see a black car behind you. Various scenarios began race through your mind as you continued to walk. As you walked, you heard the grip of the tires moving slowly over the gravel that was pushed into the gutter.

Trying to decide if the car was following you, you decided you would stop and see if the car does too. Slowing your pace, you stopped as you heard the brakes being applied, thinking that it was a coincidence you started walking again but when you heard the tires start to roll again, you knew that it wasn’t just by accident anymore. 

Stopping once more, you heard the car stop as your feet stood there planted on the sidewalk. Slowly looking over your shoulder, you saw the passenger door open as well as the rear doors. Three men stepped out as one man stayed behind the wheel. Two of the three men started to approach you, their appearances being hidden behind aviator sunglasses, you turned back around and took off running. 

Hearing their feet behind you, you knew that you wouldn’t give in without a fight. Their footsteps got louder as your lungs burned, feeling a pair of strong arms wrap around your shoulders, he leaned you back into his body while the other one tried to do something.

"I can’t hold her for very long." The one man cried that was holding you tightly as you still struggled to get free. Another man got out a piece of cloth and held it over your nose and mouth as you tried not to breath it in, swatting it away with your hand, you watched the cloth fall to the ground as the men stood there a little confused as to what to do next.

"Grab the injection that is in my pocket." The man said as he held you tighter, the second man reached into the first man’s pocket and pulled out a needle.

"Sleep well beauty" The second man’s voice quietly wished as you felt a pain in your right arm, wincing in pain you tried to move away from the burning sensation that was taking over your arm. Moving made the pain worse as your vision quickly became blurry making the world spin around you. Your legs soon gave out as you felt yourself against the hard concrete below.

A strong smell woke you up from a terrible nightmare, the throbbing in your head accompanied you while you blinked rapidly a few times to try and clear your vision.

Jingling of keys and the aching sound of iron hinges pulled your attention to the door. Seeing three blurry figures standing in the door, two men pushed one man down on his knees before mumbled words were heard and the iron hinges creaked again before the lock was secured.

Trying to push yourself upwards, your arm fell limp as you hit the cold ground again with a whining moan escape from your lips. Closing your eyes, you tried to roll onto your back while your muscles ached with pain. The single light hung from the middle of the ceiling as the thunder rolled loudly.

Closing your eyes, you tried to calm the pain that was throbbing in your arm while the man in your cell was watching you, pulling your legs up, your knees stuck into the air as you tried to get a grip on what just happened.

Rustling of clothes against the concrete floor alerted you that someone was moving, rolling your head over, you looked at the man in your cell as he was moving closer to you. Trying to sit up, you fell back against the hard floor again.

"Take it easy, I’m not going to hurt you" He put his hands up as the dark silhouette slowly moved towards you. Slightly putting down your guard, you watched his slow yet steady movements as his body moved into the light.

Looking up at his face, you could see his smaller eyes, his pink lips that had some blood that trickled down the side of his lips while bruises on his face were prominent.

"I’m just going to untie you, okay?" He questioned wanting to get your permission so you wouldn’t hurt him in the process. Nodding your head slowly, he reached out and placed his hand on your shoulder as he rolled you away from him.

Balancing you on your left shoulder, he moved down to your legs as he untied your knees and ankles. Moving back up to your head, he grabbed one of the wool blankets and placed it under your head while he looked down at you.

"Thank you" You whispered, your voice hoarse with pain.

"You’re welcome." He gave you a small smile as you placed your hands on your stomach, "Do you hurt anywhere?"

"Everywhere" You told him as he nodded a little smirk spilling from his split lips.

"Don’t worry, you will feel better once you eat something." He reassures you as he leans up against the concrete wall. Nodding your head, your thoughts began to churn as you wondered why he was in here, he wasn’t cold or mean like the other guys that brought you here and fought you on the street.

Both of you stayed quiet  as the sound of rain started to pound against the window, the moonlight cascaded through the barred window, casting a shadow against the cobblestone floor.

A clinking of metal on the ground caught your attention as the strange man in your cell got up and walked over to the door. Walking back to you with two things in his hands he sat back in his spot as he let out a sigh.

"Dinner time" He rubbed his hands together as his eyes widened awaiting his meal. Turning your head to see the aluminum bowl that held your dinner. Lifting your hand, it shook as you were still under the effects of the drug they injected you with.

"D-Do you need help?" The man asked again with his soft voice.

"Please" You pleaded softly, he pushed his dinner aside as his stomach grumbled in protest.

Sliding his hand under your neck, and his other arm wrapping around your waist as he carefully lifted you up and placed you against the wall, he saw your pale complexion as he knew that you weren’t feeling well.

Your weak muscles could barely hold up your head as he cupped your face in his hand as he leaned over with his free arm, he dipped his spoon into one soup as he tasted it then dipped it into the other before choosing the first one. Bringing it up to you, he sat beside you as he positioned your head on his shoulder.

"What are you doing?" You asked him softly.

"Feeding you, since you can’t feed yourself." He tells you, scooping up some soup in the spoon.

"W-Why did you choose that one?" You asked him, not trusting anyone

"It tasted better than the other one" He admitted as he guided the spoon to your lips.

Looking at him, you waited a few seconds before opening your mouth to the food, he slid the spoon into your mouth while your lips tightened around the spoon as he pulled it out, leaving the food in your mouth. Melting at the taste and the slight warmth of the soup, your chapped lips gently curled into a small smile.

Spoonful after spoonful, you finished your soup as your tummy felt full while closing your eyes in contentment you took deep breaths while still leaning on his shoulder.

"What’s your name?" You tiredly asked while a yawn escaped your mouth.

"Sunggyu" He smiled looking at you, "What’s yours?"

”________” You replied before sleep started to call your name.

"Sleep well then, _______" Sunggyu whispered as you were already fast asleep. Smirking at your figure, he carefully unfolded the wool blanket and draped it over you, bringing the edge of the blanket up to your shoulder and tucking it under your chin.

Leaning over, he grabbed the other bowl and started eating the salty food, looking over at you, he wondered what you had been through. Watching some hair fall on your face, he slowly brushed it back behind your ear before he finished his meal and watched over you the whole nigh.

Weeks passed as the two of you became really good friends. The two of you ate all of your meals together, slept next to each other to keep one another warm during the cold freezing nights. Slowly he nursed you back to heath, helping all that he could with the symptoms of the drugs that they gave you. Cleaning his wounds and making his laugh was the best medicine for him as you helped him heal from his physical injuries.

One dark night, you had just fallen asleep as Sunggyu was about to nod off as well but the squealing of the iron hinges woke him. Four men walked into the cell as they picked him up by the arms and you by your arms and legs. The wool blanket fell from around your figure as Sunggyu watched you, biting his lip to try and keep quiet.

The shaking of your shoulder woke you up, blinking your eyes adjusting to the bright lights. Trying to move your hands, you struggled against the rope restraints before you looked up and saw Sunggyu sitting across from you in a unique looking chair.

Shaking his head gently told you to stop fighting against them, the door opened to see men that looked exactly like the ones that picked you up. Guns were secured in their holsters while the boss parted the men and twirled the white stick of his er in his mouth.

"Very interesting… very interesting” He replied while looking at you then Sunggyu. Tapping his er on his lips he chuckled while a nasty smile spread across his face.

"Who knew that this little girl would fall in love with a performing monkey like him." He chuckled happily

"What do you want from us?" Sunggyu questioned as his eyes got wide watching the boss.

"Us? Did you hear that boys? He said us" The boss gave a smirk and his er a little more before he leaned in to your personal bubble.

"So what are you guys?" He probed, gesturing to Sunggyu behind him.

"J-Just Friends" You stuttered nervously as the boss backed away and nodded.

"i see" He paced between the two of you while his hand slid into his pockets "Let’s see how good of friend you are when we do a little something to him."

"W-What are you going to do?" You replied, your eyes getting slightly wide.

"He need a little juice, don’t you think?" The boss smirked as one of his men moved over to an electricity board and turned a knob before flipping a switch on and then off.

Electricity surged through the wires down to Sunggyu who gently jolted at the electricity while his eyes slammed shut trying to take the pain as best as he could. Soon it ended as the boss looked over at you.

"Why are you doing this? We are just strangers" You snarled at the boss seeing Sunggyu’s skin gently glisten with sweat from the torture.

"I wanted to see how far two people will go, that are just strangers" The boss smiled as he nodded his head causing another jolt of energy to surge through Sunggyu.

"Please, stop." You begged quietly.

”______, no, let me take this” Sunggyu told you as he lifted his head to you with what little strength he had left.

"But why?" You inquired softly, your heart strings pulling tightly in your chest.

"… I can’t loose you" He whispers tears coating his eyes while everyone in the room fell silent.

"You won’t" You tried to reassure him as you felt some tears run from your eyes. His eyes locked with yours as another shock of electricity flowed through him. However this time, he didn’t wake up. Sunggyu stayed limp in the chair, his chin touching his chest while his breaths were shallow and inconsistent.

"Enjoy the rest of your time with him" The boss cackled as everyone left the room. Looking across at Sunggyu, you watched him for what felt like forever before he lifted his head and you pulled against the restraints once more.

Carefully hopping your chair closer to him, you eventually sat knee to knee with him, leaning forward you rested your head against him, feeling his warm skin, you gently moved your face looking over his face softly.

Gently moving the curvature of your face in his, you pressed your lips on his, holding onto them gently before your lips started to quiver. Pulling away you rested your head in the crook of his neck before you started to sob softly.

Your sobs started to quiet down before you felt something warm on your cheek. Pulling away from the hug, you turned your head to see his eyes looking at you.

"Don’t cry" He whispered softly.

"I-I thought you were gone" You admitted softly looking up at him

"I would never leave you" He whispers before he kissed your cheek softly. "I love you" He mumbles against your skin.

"I love you too" You nuzzled your head against his, leaning his head against yours he smiled softly.

"I forgot to tell you Happy birthday" He whispers deeply against your ear.

"You remembered" You smiled into his shoulder

"I can’t forget anything about you"