Prologue

Two Moons

Wolves. Animals known to run in packs, the wolf is a majestic creature that works off of a certain hierarchy. The alpha is the leader of a pack of wolves, and the omega is the wolf that sits at the very bottom of the line, below every single other wolf in the pack. When a wolf pack makes a kill, omegas eat last. It’s not like they have a choice anyway.

In a forest outside of Seoul, South Korea runs a pack that humans have been tracking the last few years. This pack holds twelve individual wolves, and has caught the interest of scientists for one reason alone. All of them are males, and it’s obvious by watching the pack that none of them are interested in procreating. It’s questionable to scientists how these twelve came together, but one of the theories among many is that they were all lone wolves looking for their own pack, and somehow amongst the chaos of the forest, they found each other.

Rather than focus on procreating and worrying who would take over the pack once an alpha were to die, the wolves seemed to focus on other things. It seemed they sat for howling sessions more often than most wolves, and would all eat together more often than not. There was no omega that had to eat last in this pack, they just all went for it. When a moose went down, twelve hungry mouths devoured it at once.

The pack was strong, healthy. Some wolves were stronger than others and when there were fights they would assert their dominance, but it was a rare sight. One wolf in particular was exceedingly strong and all of the scientists figured it was only a matter of time before he took over the pack; after all, he could have easily been the alpha.

That is, until they disappeared. They had been available to researchers for the past three years, tracked from a distance by scientists. Some of them even had collars to track their whereabouts. So what happened to them? Why didn’t the collars pick up where they were?

The Two Moons pack, as they had been named, had vanished.